main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blue Jar Jar Cult, now with more cowbell! The Fan Fic Social Thread Shoots Lazers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by The_Face, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Me too! :(

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Awww. :(

path-seeker -- I'm glad my university isn't farther than 3 1/2 hours and is on this side of Toronto. :p I'm used to long car rides (my cottage being 10-11 hours away), but I'd much rather not have to leave all that bright and early to get to university on move-in day. :p

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I had to travel 2000 miles to college.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Yes. One of my friends went straight across the country to Vancouver. I wanted to stay in Ontario, though, where everything is accessible by car, depending on how much driving you want to do. Though there was a university in Nova Scotia that I was considering of going to...

5. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    You couldn't just stay in the dorms or something?

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    With the cafeteria food? Never!

7. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    Typing of which, isn't the lack of Doctor Who in the RP banner grounds for a permaban?

8. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I'm about 75 miles away from home, about 90 minutes by car. I've come to like this distance since it's not too far away. I don't think I'd be able to go cross-country for college right away.

9. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    I usually like being 7 hours away from home, though driving up and moving in makes a really long day. Sometimes I wish I was closer so I could visit on weekends, but that's my only complaint.

I'm in denial that summer is over and September is only a week away. :eek:

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Evening all! How is everyone today??

I grew up (and still live) about five minutes from where I currently go to college. Sometimes its great, and sometimes I realize how big of a loser I am that at 24 I've boomeranged and once again live with the parents. [face_plain]

Classes start for me tomorrow... long day, from 9:00 to 3:30, but on the bright side, it is the only day I have class :D I do have two-12 hour clinical shifts to do a week as well, but nothing new there and this semester I get to go to a women's and children's hospital and work in the NICU, which will be sad, but hopefully very rewarding! :)

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Awww, that'll be an Experience.

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It sure will be one way or another. Everyone I've talked to that went there this summer said they cried the first day... I've been trying to psych myself up for weeks now. I'm determined not to cry, at least not there at the hospital.
    Though, I cry at the drop of a hat, so I figure no amount of psych-ing will prepare, but it can't hurt. :) I really want to go into neonatal care, so this will be a test as to if I can handle it!

13. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Been there, done that, got a whole bunch of t-shirts. Want one? :p If it makes you feel any better, my brother's 29 and married, works with my dad at the same clinic, and will be living in his childhood room for the next year for the following reasons: (1) my sister-in-law has a year-long fellowship elsewhere; (2) he still hasn't sold their old house, and having a second mortgage in this current economic condition isn't a good thing; (3) now he has time to find a nice house to grow old in; (4) why spend the money on an apartment when he can eat for free?

See? You're not so bad off. :p But then, our culture seems to encourage keeping the kids around - probably because the elders want to be close by to help with the grandkids.

14. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    mav, my cousin is getting her RN. She worked all summer in the NICU and absolutely LOVED it - even when she realized that some of the babies in her unit get less attention than the dogs in our families. As far as I know she never cried - and I'd be shocked if she goes into something other than neonatology once she graduates next year.

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    mav, good luck with that! [:D]

My sister's boyfriend is starting his first year of medical school, but all last year he was working in a neonatal care centre. He has a lot of cool stories from working there, but a lot of sad ones too. He really did enjoy it, but is thinking of being a pediatrician.

16. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Why not go self catered? If the food sucks at least it'd be your own fault then. :p

I love being self catered. When I was in catered halls dinner was between 6pm and 6:30pm, and I often cut it too close. When I have to cook for myself I can choose when I have dinner and what I have, which is good. The only downside is when I'm having a bad day and can't be bothered to cook, so I usually keep some soup or something easy to cook, something I can just bung in the microwave or oven.

17. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Aaaaargh! Peer pressure got me. And that of my female leads, too!:oops:
    They all wear tehir hair bob style.
    Until yesterday, I didn't.[face_plain]

Self-catered? Why not invite yourself over to dinner at a friends place. About, every night?:p

18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    You look really pretty. :)

I don't know anyone that well, and most of my friends eat meat. :(

19. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Hello everyone! I see the new social thread is up and running. :D

Eric comes home today, thank goodness. He flew up to Nashville to see his daughter. I've missed him. :(

Most of the waters from Fay are starting to recede, though our phone, internet, and cable services are still unreliable. [face_laugh]

20. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Oh, how I love school food. I describe it as the good, the bad, and the ugly: there's usually one of each category on the menu. Truthfully, I'm such a bad cook that I was looking forward to returning to school for the food.

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Lanna, you look great! Own it. :p Love the shirt, too.

My favorite thing about cafeteria/dorm food - the pancakes made fresh. Mmmmmmmm.... =P~

22. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    My uni had great food. And students got it very cheap.=P~

I look like myself in my fanfic, minus fancy Imperial uniform.;)
    Would trade my shirt for one, though....

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Lanna, that's a really awesome pic, you look great! :D

Uni food here is better than most places I've seen and it's very easy to eat vegetarian ( [face_dancing] ) but the fruit costs WAY too much, IMO. :rolleyes: And I know I'll be tired of it within a few months. :p So, I'm pretty much soaking up home food as much as I can; my dad offered to take me out to dinner on my last day at home, but I said no because he's an excellent chef and I'm going to miss his cooking. :p

24. DontFearTheReaper

DontFearTheReaper Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2007
    I really like this thread title. [Homer Simpson]Blue Oyster Cult references...cool.[/Homer Simpson]

25. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    Love the hair, Lanna!

I'm getting my hair cut today, professionally, for the first time in three years. It's the first actual style change in five. With the way my family changes their hair, this is a very long time. :p

I'm not doing anything too drastic, but I'm ready for a change! [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.