main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Blue Jar Jar Cult, now with more cowbell! The Fan Fic Social Thread Shoots Lazers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by The_Face, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    There are never any guarantees. Though I did have a friend who had a 2 to 10 rule. She always said that if you'd been married less than two years, you hadn't given it a chance. And if you were married more than ten years, you might as well stay together. She said that the "window of opportunity for divorce" was between the second and tenth anniversary. Of course, as I pointed out to her, she had never been married! [face_laugh]

2. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    I think everything relationship-wise has to fit the people in it. There's no set of rules for everyone. While I personally won't get married young, one of my best friend's parents got married straight out of high school. They're still very happily married with seven children. Seven. 8-}

You've just reminded me! Now I have something else to buy when I go out with my friends tomorrow, instead of sneaking over to the pet store and buying the frog I've been forbidden. :p

3. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Force Unleashed is out? Wow, I'm out of touch... one more thing to do to waste time! And I still have to see Clone Wars.

4. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I saw that Force Unleased was out, but I did have the $$ to but it. But I have see Clone Wars twice, and I'm reading the novelisation right now.

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm about halfway through the Clone Wars novel. Still not sure how I feel about it. [face_thinking]

6. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I didn't really like The Clone Wars. It was like they took my Republic comic books and tossed them into the trash.

Had a not so good day today. Found out the tire of our car was flat about a block away from our house when I was taking my mom to work. The resulting wait and repair caused me to miss school for the day. Went out later to try and get a media internship to no avail.

Oh well, I got some comics!

7. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    That's why you have to learn how to change the tire yourself. :p What kind of media internship are you looking for?

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I saw Clone Wars the other day and enjoyed it... I think it will make a better TV show than a movie, it had that kind of pacing, but considering that is what it will be, it makes perfect sense! :)

Yes, learning to change your own tire is a big help, just make sure to tell a shop when they put new ones on to not tighten them with with an impact wrench... it cause you to have to jump up and down on a tire iron to get the lug nuts off and then the car might fall off the jack and land on your foot! I speak from experience! :)

9. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    When my family was on vacation out west we got a flat tire in the middle of the Nevada desert. I happened to be driving at the time so I was freaking, and my dad was putting on the spare when it was 103 degrees outside. Fun times...

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Evening, everyone.

Everyone. "Jon!"

Allie. "Jonathan."

I really like the Twilight series, but Bella Swan... ye gods! Be a little more clingy? She could seriously get on my nerves.

The vampires in it... let's just say I'd like to introduce the Volturi to the Shinma, and leave it at that. [face_devil]

How goes it?

11. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    Hello all!

Ah, I have happy memories about flat tires. I visited Africa six years ago, and we got a flat on our van there. I highly recommend getting flat tires in somewhat exotic places. :)

I'm debating if I want to buy a nice large SW poster for my dorm room. It wouldn't match any of my stuff, but it would otherwise be awesome.

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Jon, I'd suggest replacing "could" with "will" there. ;) My opinion of the Twilight series has recently taken a deep plunge and I don't think it's going to redeem itself. I love the concept, but some of the ideas and how they're executed annoy me to no ends.

I'm thinking of bringing my RotS poster and my Monty Python poster with me for my dorm room, but I'm not sure. [face_thinking] They're the only two professional posters I have, all the other ones I own are hand-made using the pictures from old calendars.

13. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I'm mainly looking for newspaper, but at the moment I'm getting a little desperate and will take TV or radio.

14. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Ugh, been there. It's hard - I wish you all the luck I didn't have. :p Also try magazines and free publications (like the Red Eye and Reader in Chicago), and even online magazines and news sites.

The other thing you can do is to just walk into the office and ask to speak to whoever's in charge of hiring. You may get an informational interview - and if they like you enough on the spot, they may offer you an internship. At the very least you've made a contact in the business.

15. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
  16. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    My dorm room has been wallpapered with opera and theatre posters and one large tapestry. Oddly enough, I don't have any really geeky posters. Yet.
    I have only read Twilight, and I thought it was good enough to warrant seeking out the rest of the series to see where it's going. But I don't think I will totally fangirl all over it.

17. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Nathan, those are brilliant posters. I especially love that very motivational one. :p

Raquel, I meant to get posters for Don Giovanni and Madame Butterfly, the two operas I saw most recently, but I didn't get a chance. :( I'll probably end up with a good collection of posters from the various theatre and music productions at my uni over the course of this year, though. :)

18. path-seeker

path-seeker Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2008
    [face_laugh] I like the motivational one too. I should look into those despair.com posters.

Sithgirl, you have a tapestry? :eek: That would violate my school's dorm policies, and we're only allowed to cover a small percentage of the wall with posters. Last year, my huge Middle Earth map pretty much stole the wall. :p

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Idri, BYU is doing Don Giovanni this year. I've never seen it person and I'm so excited to go to it! I love "Non piu andrai farfalore amoroso." (sp?) Have you seen the Peter Sellers version set in Harlem? It is sooooooooooo trippy.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    You asked for a spelling tip... was that the word you meant, or was it supposed to be "l'amore"?

Here's what came up...

Am`o`ro´so
    n. 1. A lover; a man enamored.
    adv. 1. (Mus.) In a soft, tender, amatory style.

the Boston-based band that is CALLED Amoroso...

or: (1) an Italian word used in music or (2) a Spanish word for a sweetened oloroso sherry

21. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I was mostly trying to remember the Italian spelling of the word for butterfly. The entire song is basically this guy lamenting that his friend is joining the army and won't be a social butterfly, flitting from one girl to another and keeping them busy all the day and night.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Oh... Looked it up just now. It's 'farfalla.' :)

23. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Like the pasta? 8-}

I finally took my Celebration 3 & 4 art to be framed last week. Still waiting for the phone call from the framers to say that they're ready. And I didn't even give them everything, just my absolute favorites. I'm willing to pay a steep price for those pieces, because they're the pieces that will turn my apartment from "nice" to "truly badass."

24. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    I took down all my posters before painting my room, and never put them back up.

Tonight, I dug out an old box of fanfic.. stuff I've collected over the years. In preparation for a very large Harry Potter project I'm going to tackle, I found my folder full of stories surrounding my OCs.

I was completely disgusted. Keep in mind these OCs were first created when I was eight or nine years old, and I continued writing them into my middle school years when Star Wars took the main focus.

I may not have dressed the part, but I definitely went through an "emo" stage. Dear.. Force. [face_sick] I felt terrible just reading that junk. I know for a fact that I've improved immensely.

25. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    A few of my friends have read the Twilight books, they say they're good, they're teenagers, 16-18, but they also have an impeccable sense of literature, they too say the first one is the best. I might read them one day, but they're not screaming at me to be picked up exactly.

So, this Clone Wars movie... is it as bad as we all thought it would be? Some how I think I'm going to prefer the cartoon over the CGI.

On a better note, Trial Examinations are OVER! Next term will be the BIG ONES.

Cheers_Cazza@};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.