main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~Blues Traveler~

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Darth_wanderguard, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Sorry if there's already a thread for this band.

Blues Traveler has been one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite band for quite a few years, now. I first heard them at around the age of five, as my sister would constantly listen to "Run-Around".

I was around thirteen when I finally got a copy of "Four", and immediately began listening to it almost non-stop. To this day I believe it has to be one of the greatest albums in the history of music. With a versatile track listing featuring the introspective "Hook", the upbeat pop-hit "Run Around", the earsplitting harmonica, bass, and guitar solos of "Crash Burn", and of course the hidden gem of the album, the ballad "Just Wait."

Not only is John Popper a virtuoso harmonica player and excellent singer who could hold a note for an hour if need be, he's a brilliant songwriter. As a fan of the band, I could pick out their familiar sound anywhere. His lyrics are simply brilliant, and have influenced my own songwriting to an immeasurable degree.

Other notable songs include "Sweet Pain" (one of the greatest songs ever written. If you've never heard it, make sure you do as soon as possible.), "But Anyway", "Just For Me", and "Carolina Blues."

2. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    'Four' is a superb album.

I probably listened to 'Straight On Till Morning' more. It has some great songs, too.

The last BT album I picked up was 'Bridge.' 3 or 4 tracks were good but I was disappointed with the album. I stopped following them after that.

3. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    I haven't gotten my hands on Straight on 'Til Morning yet. I've been told it's pretty good though.

Their latest studio album of original material was "Bastardos!" which I liked to a degree, but it just didn't capture that pre-1999 BT sound. Since Sheehan died they just haven't been the same.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    What should I start with?

5. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    I think Four would be the best introductory album. Straight on Till Morning would be good as well though.

I would recommend you listen to their earlier stuff first to get acquainted with their original sound before moving on to the post-1999 material.

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm so so on these guys. Runaround is a really good song, but their others are just background music to me. I should give their other albums a listen at some point soon - It's been a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.