main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Bo-Katan in The Mandalorian (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Nov 13, 2020.

1. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    For choosing the warrior ways of Mandalore over her sister to be her own adult or even adolecent decision, she needs quite a few more years on Anakin then that. The war and the warriors being marooned of too Concordia all happened before Phantom Menace.

2. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Where are you getting this idea? Boba is around 12-13 when he's joining up with gangsters and trying to assassinate a Jedi Master. What reason does Bo-Katan have to be older and "her own adult"?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  3. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    Boba was orphaned and left to his own devices with a spaceship and all his father's possession. He didn't decide to go off on his own. His circumstance hardly means every single 10 year old in the Star Wars galaxy can automatically be assumed to have equivalent resources at their sole disposal. And Boba is still manipulated by Aurra Sing, protected by Bossk and others.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  4. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Bo-Katan has the organization/resources of Death Watch and is being manipulated by Pre Vizla. Not sure what you're argument is...

5. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    Death Watch didn't exist yet, it came into existence after the timeperiod where the warriors of the Mandalore was thought to have died out, following the Civil War that took place years before Anakin was a 9 year old slave on Tatioone. Bo-Katan's decision to break away from her sister happened before all that. Unless Bo-Katan literally does not know non pacifict Mandalore before rebelling. Treating Bo-Katan as a peer of Satine and Obi-Wan makes her backstory very different from if she closer in age to Anakin, or even Boba Fett as people now like to think. And Clone Wars I feel treated her as the former.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think Bo is supposed to be older than Anakin. So at least 24 I would say

rumblewagon likes this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    There’s a lot of ambiguity about Bo’s past and Mandalore pre-TCW, so I don’t think we can actually determine what made Bo become Bo until they do some major clarification. Even something as comparatively small as Bo being closer to Anakin’s age than Boba/Han’s can be a major difference, even though that’s a much closer range than Bo being close to Obi-Wan/Satine’s age. And we also have a very in-flux situation where Filoni and Favreau seem to be integrating Legends continuity that had some very vague but still intended ties to TCW’s backstory before the Disney buy.

For instance, the reintegration of Jango being a foundling of Jaster who fought in the Mandalorian Civil Wars could mean F&F want to reintegrate the Open Seasons story even more into continuity... which would put a Death Watch organization active in Mandalorian politics in Jango’s childhood, led by a Viszla.

There was never any solid attempt to clarify how exactly the Mandalorian Civil War between Jaster/Jango’s True Mandalorians aligned with the Great Clan Wars that TCW supplemental material placed as Satine’s backstory (with the death of her father Adonai Kryze itself still being Legends material right now)... but there was an attempt to state that, at minimum, the TCW Death Watch led by already Viszla was connected to the earlier one.

Bo could have been a de-facto foundling of a Death Watch or other anti-New Mandalorian faction, taken at a very young age and raised by them, or she could have been raised by traditionalists in a world that didn’t have a Death Watch yet, or she could be closer to Obi-Wan and Satine’s age and just have aged like Fennec Shane (or at least Fennec’ actress) has, in which case her radicalization could have taken place in young adulthood in explicit defiance of her sister’s success as a pacifist.

We genuinely don’t know.

The Chalk Jedi and rumblewagon like this.
  8. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Serious but dumb question: Will they introduce a romance between Bo-Katan and Mando?

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    No it has not been won. As I said Maul defeated the reigning Mandalore and then took the sword from Pre after defeating him in hand to hand combat. It was an official duel and Maul made the challenge by invoking the ancient laws of Mandalore - which at that point only concerned Death Watch since they were true and old Mandalorians descendants and adherents . New Mandalorians did not factor into anything. Bo-Katan failing to submit along with her loyal Death Watch/Nite Owl comrades, were breaking the law and were traitors. They did this even after Pre verbally proclaimed Maul the ruler only because he was an outsider. Infact in a deleted scene she even tried shooting Maul when he and Vizsla fought on but was stopped by members of the Death Watch loyal to the ancient laws.

Maul orchestrated the siege of Mandalore, it was all his plan, first to lore in Skywalker and later to make a connection to Ahsoka and forge an alliance. The whole thing in the end was a chaotic ruse so one way or the other he'd be presumed dead and vanish in the war anyway. Nor did he use the darksaber during the Siege, but used his old lightsaber combined with Ventress'. The darksaber was apparently on Dathomir, probably guarded by his must trusted warriors. Thats where the story ended. Maul had no intention of the sword being left on Mandalore. Just prior he used the sword to cut down he droid armies, defeated Grievous twice, held Dooku at the blades tip and successfully lored out Sidious so Mother Talzin could vaporize him with Force lightning. Unfortunately Talzin was not at full strength. And Talzin chose to save her son, rather than allowing him to drained of the Force so she could their shared hated enemy. Probably the only way Sidous could be truly killed was by Force lightning as he could jump bodies and had the power of all the Sith Lords. These things would've been known to Maul and Talzin.

In any case, its not the sword alone, but the person whom they respect and fear, the one who maintains their loyalty and whom they are honor bound to serve through Victory or Death. Maul's rule over Death Watch was absolute, just as was his rule over the Underworld his true throne.

The Darksaber sword was used by members of Vizsla's family to cut down any who opposed their tyrannical rule for generations when they united the Mandalorian clans and ruled over Mandalore in the past and waged war against the Jedi and the Republic. It was more a symbol of Vizla's family legacy. That ended when Maul challenged him and destroyed that legacy and became Mandalore and the sword was his own thereafter. That meant Death Watch and Mandalore would belong to him, a former Sith Lord and Son of Dathomir.

Ezra and Sabine stole the weapon, probably much like Gideon did since he sucks as a fighter against a Mandalorian by creed Djarin as a Child of the Watch. Bo-Katan cannot keep power because she's illegitimate, apparently though killing Gideon and reclaiming the sword would've been enough in her mind to reclaim some form of honor and legitimacy But that is not really the case it turned out on The Mandalorian.

Rau is biased as that story he told was not really accurate and he's skewered towards the throne since he's former New Mandalorian royal guardsman. His version of the story is also very sanitized, where its the sword takes on a more neutral significance as just symbol of ancient Mandalorian unification, where all warrior clans bent the knee to it. Rau and his ancestors included. He left out the fact its a Jedi killing weapon.

Also Rau on Rebels said Bo-Katan was made regent by the Jedi, and she was seen by many as Mandalore's rightful ruler.

This was obviously a falsehood on many levels. Rau was not even present during the Siege of Mandalore. Death Watch warriors were loyal to Maul. Maul's plan also bounded all the Mandalorian populace to Death Watch and they were anti-Kyrze and Bo-Katan was a criminal. Kryze's government officials were already imprisoned or killed by Pre and Bo-Katan while Maul was in the cell. others would've been killed under Almec. Bo-Katan also led a foreign power into Mandalore and ousted the highly supported(Mauls plan) Prime Minister Almec. She also allied with the ancient enemies of her own people, the Jedi. In any case it had nothing to do with the darksaber or its history.

And according to Bo-Katan after the Empire took over the galaxy she refused to obey the Emperor and she was betrayed by the Saxon clan. Gar Saxon was ex-Death Watch and arrested in Season 7 of TCW, that made no sense. Moreover we've seen already seen Bo-Katan initially refuse to accept the Darksaber from Sabine because she had her chance to rule Mandalore and failed cause she was not her sister.

Bo-Katan would again lose Mandalore following Rebels. And she failed at getting Gideon without Djarin's help, and Djarin ended up with the sword anyway.

When Sabine showed up with the Darksaber, Ursa Wren(a close Bo-Katan ally) was stunned and initially assumed that she won it from Maul and when after hearing the truth she angrily said "she had no clam to it". Everything was kinda swept under the rug after that in typical Rebels fashion, but the weapon was stolen and Maul remains as actual Mandalore .

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    rumblewagon likes this.
  10. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Well, I don't think we're going to wrestle an actual coherent narrative out of this until one is imposed on it by new material, but Maul can't remain as Mandalore for two reasons:

1) He's dead -- although few people would know that, Sabine does, so Mandalore at large probably does eventually
    2) He sold the Mandalorian people out in no uncertain terms. To all intents and purpose he literally states that he's no longer their ruler and never had any intention to lead them, only to use them to his own ends. Not only is that a pretty clear abdication of his claim, there's a conversation in Rebels, when Maul holds the Ghost crew captive and taunts Sabine with the fact that he had once been the ruler of Mandalore, and it makes the positions of both parties clear. Maul no longer views himself as their ruler, and Mandalorians regard his reign as a period of great shame.

Grey Matter and rumblewagon like this.
  11. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Great clip. Convinces me even more that Sabine will show up in the live action shows and makes me want to watch Rebels all over again.

godisawesome and Grey Matter like this.
  12. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    He also describes his collection on Dathomir to Ezra thus: "These are artifacts from my past, from a time when my power was almost absolute."

13. Verbal21

Verbal21 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2011
    My memory’s pretty hazy, but did Maul ever dual wield the Darksaber and lightsaber at the same time?

14. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Right -- and let's also not forget that after the Siege of Mandalore, he rose to power *once again* in the underworld, and as far as we know made no move to retake Mandalore during that period.

15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    For the brief one-on-one duel with Sidious after Savage’s death.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  16. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    I wouldn't be opposed to that. I just don't know if it will happen unless they work/rule together.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I really hope not

18. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I have no idea if they’ll even consider giving Din any more romantic interests; the woman from the fourth episode is the only hint he’s got any interest in romance at all this far.

In theory, I could see someone somewhere thinking that the best complication to add to their already complicated relationship is reciprocated attraction.[face_dancing]

But... they don’t really need any more complication to be interesting, and honestly, stringing out the possibility of Din wanting to be a loyal soldier and servant in return for the help in rescuing Grogu, and Bo wanting to become the Mandalore the “right way,” and that inevitably leading to some situation where they feel they “have” to fight each other.

I’m not immediately intrigued at this possibility... but there is a part of me that would like some well done romance in these series at some point. Not Reylo BS, no tepid Anidala, the quality of Han and Leia but none of the problematic aspects... just something positive and well done.

I know that’s probably too much to ask for.[face_laugh]

19. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/ 18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    [​IMG]

20. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    I don't think it's a dumb question - I imagine there are more fans wondered this same thing, if for no other reason than the fact that Din is a male character and Bo-Katan is a female character.

(Don't mistake this as me saying that's your reason for doing so.)

Personally, I'd rather not that they introduce any romance between them. I don't think it'd really serve their characters any - especially Bo-Katan, and it'll likely work in detriment to the far more interesting dynamic that's brewing between them (ex. Din unintentionally becoming an obstacle in the way of Bo-Katan's path back to glory and rule, and where you don't know how Bo-Katan is going to handle it - if she's going to swing between seeing Din as a threat to her own claims or recognize his disinterest in power)

Frankly, I also can't really see them together as a couple in part due to their respective personalities. Bo-Katan is ruthlessly ambitious and wants a life of power while Din is not ruthless, not ambitious and seems most tempted by a quiet and anonymous life in a small village.

Basically, I don't see any real benefit to the characters and the story to try to cultivate a romance between Din and Bo-Katan.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    godisawesome likes this.
  21. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I’d also argue that Din has more apparent empathy and compassion than Bo, who even at her best is exclusively focused on other Mandalorians, and is nationalist enough to feel she can judge who is and isn’t a “real” Mando. The question between them is more of whether Din ends up eventually convincing Bo to see the bigger picture, or whether she clings to the smaller one and they end up coming to blows.

...And if I were to go into “ships that pass in the night”-style pairing without reason:p, I’d go for Sabine and Din instead.[face_laugh]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  22. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Thinking more about the Darksaber-at first I was trying to think of it like the Harry Potter Elder Wand and find out who deserves it based on who defeated Maul (Ahsoka defeats Maul, Ahsoka is defeated by Vader, Vader is defeated by Luke yada yada yada) but I think that's the wrong way to look at it. Like Gideon implies its merely a symbol. Winning it in combat doesn't grant you power, it grants you a story to tell. The chain of custody up to Gideon doesn't matter so long as you had the story to tell of winning it from him. Bo Katan perhaps realizes that because when it was handed to her before she obviously didn't live up to the legend.

Grey Matter and godisawesome like this.
  23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Thus poisoning the bearer or ganging up on him or vaporizing him with your ship's cannons or having a WEB cannon melt him through his own armor? All unlikely to give you the story you need to cement yourself as a potential Mandalore... but neither does just having own the saber in battle, no matter how honorable the duel.

On the other hand, as the darksaber is arguably the greatest personal war trophy that still functions very well as a weapon, it's also still unlikely you'll be able to claim the title without the story. Doesn't mean you can't lead Mandalore without it, or without the story, as seen with Satine not even claiming the title but being an effective ruler for quite some time. But if you want to be Chief Badass of Kickass Mountain as Mandalore, being able to hold the darksaber against all challengers is a handy marker for the most dangerous and powerful warrior (a title Pre Viszla, for all his character defects, seemed to earn among the Death Watch.)

Now, I still think that my idea of Din acting as Bo's champion makes sense, on the basis that his lack of a power base means he's not going to have people bow down before him just because he has it... but the tension of him still holding the symbol of his personal prowess and skill and possibly beating down some challengers, while Bo doesn't, would still be there.

But the limits of the darksaber might arguably also mean that Din ends up having to prove he has some of the character traits needed to build his own power base even if he doesn't want to; a similar logic arguably follows why Fenn Rau thought Sabine could be a Mandalorian leader - beyond having the saber, her personal skills and intelligence had already proven themselves to him.

It would also fit the format of the show - instead of Din just constantly beating down challengers, you could have him try recruiting people to Bo's cause by doing them a favor first, or pick the right side in some battle between Mandalorians, or peacefully resolve a more complicated dispute* adding to *his* story among the Mandalorians (which already includes him storming an Imperial base for the sake of a child multiple times)... which then becomes either an issue when Bo notices much of her faction is more loyal to him than her, or an asset he only realize after he and Bo have some kind of falling out.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  24. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I wonder if there's a GOT factor in it, too, i.e. the reluctant hero and the tragic...anti-heroine? I do think Bo is on a Daenerys-like trajectory, but I don't see a romance happening.

Then again, I'm still open to a different prospect:

godisawesome likes this.
  25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Bo’s arguably much better set-up for what Daenerys’s arc was supposed to be in that final GOT season, arguably because the seeds for her falling are actually her roots already: with Dany, her previous arc was a bit too purely heroic and inspiring, while Bo was introduced casually burning a village as part of a bunch of nationalist extremists partaking in some “fun.” Bo’s heroic elements were introduced later, but have some similarly understandable and relatably sympathetic traits to Daenerys herself - they both lost family, friends, and ultimately witnessed suffering hit their people.

But because Bo had that villainous aspect introduced first, you can basically make it more a question fo whether she regresses to a former level or continues her rough progress towards heroism, and that’s an easier sell to the audience.