main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Bo-Katan in The Mandalorian (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Verbal21

Verbal21 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2011
    I remember the antagonist part was pretty rampant after the initial trailer description but after seeing it, I don't really know how they came to that conclusion. I didn't see anything outside of her sulking in the beginning but that didn't mean she's the antagonist, to me. I definitely felt Queen Khaleesi vibes from her on that season finale but I think they don't to fully commit her to that villainous role.

Plus, I just don't see them doing that with how much of a fan-favorite she is. Yes, she used to be a terrorist but her character has grown into something more, so I don't see them backtracking. So my vote is she'll end up being the new Mandalore somehow. Complete with new armor and Darksaber.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Bo Katan looks good here, better then in Mandalorian season 2.

cwustudent and chrcharcor2 like this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Who knew putting effort into hair work would be better than slapping a cheap wig on someone? :p

4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    My take on Bo is she'll start off allied to Din and slowly as her agenda pushes her goal in a different direction to Din's, the become enemies.

godisawesome and Sarge like this.
  5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think we’re bound to see her at least act as a “Level One” antagonist - a political opponent who must be countered and who’s support must be “stolen” - and maybe even a “Level Two” antagonist - someone who fights Din in physical combat, but isn’t a lethal enemy.

I don't think she’s anymore a lethal “Level Three” antagonist than the Armorer is; both ladies feel like rival “magnetic” Din must navigate through, rather than bosses to be beaten.

6. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    So is season three going to be a lot of internal squabbling and then Moff Gideon will show up and they'll focus on defeating him?

7. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    See, I’m actually fairly convinced we’ve again only seen a little bit of the season on the trailers… but yeah, I’d expect at least a few episodes where some other Mandos, not just Bo Katan, either come gunning for Din or have to be recruited by Din.

I think the main conflict is likely Din coming to accept himself as a Mandalorian regardless of the “Holy Waters of Mandalore” quest, and then moving towards accepting the mantle of (Lord) Mandalore and uniting and returning his people to Mandalore (the planet), with Gideon either interfering with that, or being revealed as one of Thrawn’s agents.

We’re probably looking at a few more of those “I need x, so I’ll help y get z” stories, at minimum, but we don’t know what mission Din can present Bo-Katan to get her to team up with him again - we know he drops in on her at her fortress, and then they’re partnered for at least some scenes together, but it’s hard to see him giving her a sales pitch without something significant she’d personally want regardless of who has the Darksaber …and her previous price was star ships or Moff Gideon.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think there'll be a point where Din & Bo are opposed to each other, I wouldn't describe it as internal squabbling but I can see a fundamental difference of opinions or values that lead to conflict. Whether there's a resolution to that conflict by the end of the season... I just couldn't predict.

9. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The issue with Bo is that Bo is, at her core, a militaristic nationalist incapable of the kind of compromise and cultural evolution that Din likely needs to pursue to unite Mandalore, and that we know Bo is likely to feel like she has to challenge Din for the darksaber at some point, or likely face some serious guilt and inadequacy for being unworthy of the role she stepped into and still kind of casts herself in.

There's a lot of ways Bo could grow or have herself be revealed as the show goes on; she could reveal herself to have been forced by circumstances into a role she didn't want and knows she's not cut out for but needs someone to fill, or she could turn out to still be just as stuck in her ways as The Armorer and now convinced that no one else could lead Mandalore, either because of her prior fanaticism as a Death Watch member or because of the trauma she's received ever since her mentor died, followed swiftly by her sister, and then eventually her planet.

And that's if we don't see Din try to offer some kind of compromise at first - I could still se a scenario where he offers to be her "champion" against other challengers and merge his claim with and under hers, particularly if he thinks she's good enough for the job and better suited to it than him. That, as unlikely as it is, could be a way for him to do his "x for y so I can get z" exchange; she doesn't have to break her own internal honor code and fight someone she has no beef with, but would still get her faction supported by the darksaber's claim, and given how Satine could rule without even being a warrior and just having the support of the Protectors, perhaps that would be enough?

...at first, maybe...

10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I'll predict it. They'll be cool with each other by the end.

Django Fett likes this.
  11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I tend to think that Bo-Katan's reintroduction in Rebels as a blatantly heroic character likely points to that; Filoni may be digging up some of her old fanaticism and myopia as flaws, but he also had her used as a moral high-ground teacher for Sabine, and it would be a whiplash in her biography if she fell far enough away from that to become evil again.

Antagonistic? Sure. In need of a lesson in looking beyond her militaristic ideals? Yup.

Evil? No.

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  13. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm not sure that Din or Bo-Katan will be the Mandalore when this is all said and done. I think it will be someone else. As to whom? I have no clue. Although I would like to point out that Gar Saxon had possession of it and was actually killed by Ursa Wren.

So one could say that Clan Wren also has a legit claim to the Darksaber by actually winning it in combat. <shrugs> Complicated mess I tell ya :)

14. Verbal21

Nov 5, 2011
    I have no doubt Bo will end up being the Mandalore. I’ve always felt like Bo’s arc in The Mando is to make her second time with the Darksaber feel more earned than her first time.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
  16. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Gar lost the duel to Sabine then died at Ursa’s hands, so yeah, the last person before Bo to have a claim to it by “blood” is either the matron or scion of Clan Wren… and personally, I’m kind of hoping for this to be brought up for a dispute of some kind, and I’m very curious about Bo’s feelings on Sabine now. I do KMT think she could hate Sabine, but I could see them being at loggerheads over some of the fallout from her giving Bo the saber.
    I, on the other hand, just don't think Bo could ever be Mandalore again; I think she’s beloved more as a flawed anti-hero struggling towards an ultimately righteous role supporting a more “worthy” character than as the worthy ruler herself. As the scion of a noble house seeking redemption from a tragic mistake, she’s in Sabine’s shadow; as the paragon of Mandalorian virtue and martial valor, she’s in Din’s. Plus, I think the core of her character so far has been too reactionary for the role; she was willing to follow an incompetent monster because of his reactionary politics in her younger days, and she doesn’t have any “reformer” traits to her that, to be honest, I think any new Mandalore character needs.

I’d say she’d be at her best being a bit of a King Uryens from Excalibur type of character; the noblest of political opponents to the “rightful heir to the throne” who’s nobility is ultimately pitted against their ambition and obstinance by circumstance and the hero to their redemption.
    This checks out - but could use explicit canon confirmation.

It also makes an interesting backstory juicier - Satine and Bo have enough years between them that Bo might be closer in age to her nephew Korkie (progeny of the as yet unknown third Kryze sibling) than to Satine, and it would even make their separation make more sense.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh, Katee already has top billing, so definitely gonna be a lot of Bo this season. I love that even alone and with nothing to do she still chills in her full armor.

18. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    And without her own faction, maybe she needs to join someone else's...

I could see the story being that Din has to resolve his own issues, but is outwardly proving himself a better leader than other candidates, and ending up getting Bo on his side at first as a grouchy co-belligerent and possible rival, only to eventually have Din put some trust in her to do the right thing... and Bo responds in kind by pledging herself to Din's claim as Mandalore.

19. Verbal21

Nov 5, 2011
    Her establishing she has a castle and her banners make me think once she gets the darksaber, that castle will be back to full of life and other Clans banners too[face_laugh]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  20. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018

I hope with Bo Katan more involved. We see a redemption of Satine Kryze legacy after all the propaganda from the Empire. I bet reason why she gets villified is because of Death Watch and the Empire.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    godisawesome likes this.
  21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Interesting. I recall hearing that Satine ruled for 15 years, so even if she became Duchess as a teen herself that would imply that Bo-Katan was a lot younger than her and probably couldn't remember the civil war before Satine took power. Which might explain why she romanticized it - war can sound so honorable and exciting when just hear about it rather than live through it.

...also a bit weird, I don't recall it being implied that Bo-Katan ever realized Death Watch was wrong or regretted her actions. She worked with the heroes later on, but that always seemed like their interests aligning against common foes than a true change of heart on her part. I suppose we might see more of that this season.

godisawesome and Riv_Shiel like this.
  22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Right now it seems Bo Katan was only few years older then her teenage newphew Korkie Kryze, lol. She was supposed to be older during Clone Wars. But thats now changed with Rebels and Mandalorian. And Satine Kryze has been ruler as Dutchess of Mandalore for 23 years, since end of The Mandalorian Civil wars that almost destroyed her people. All until her death at Maul's hands.

Now that I think of it Bo and Ahsoka are very close in age. She must be 50+ years old to it make all sense. She was a baby or toddler during the Mandalorian civil wars. Satine as a mother figure for Bo Katan. Satine as a mother for two babies after Mandalorian wars just as a 16 year old teenager, lol. and Korkie must been fun aunt and newphew. I do hope Korkie around. This family just gets weirder, lol.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  23. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I really don't like the implication that Bo is all alone. I would think there would be some Mandalorians still loyal to her. Maybe a couple dozen at least.

24. Verbal21

Nov 5, 2011
    Yeah, I felt her saying they all abandoned her was a bit too extreme. But I guess it’s where Jon wanted to start her story this season.

25. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    she failed spectacularly as a leader. It's not hard to see why she isn't popular.