main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Boarding the Trade Federation Space Station

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Elder74, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Elder74

Elder74 Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2020
    When Qui-Gon and Obi Wan boarded the Trade Federation space station for the negociations on the blockade on Naboo they were asked to wait for the droid's master to arrive.

Obi Wan Kenobi mentioned:

My question remains..... how did someone like Qui-Gon not sense anything since he was a jedi that bypasses the jedi code to commit himself more to the force. Yet, he was not aware of the disturbance that was shortly after about to happen. Obi Wan noticed something was not right.

I hope you guy/ladies wonder what you think of this theory. What clouded Qui-Gon's mind and not Obi Wan's?

Let me know below! Because:

2. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Who says QuiGon didn't? He may have did, but they have a mission to do right then and there. Best to concentrate on one thing at a time..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. Elder74

Apr 3, 2020
    That's the whole thing about it. He did say it: "I don't sense anything."

why would he lie to Obi Wan that if he sensed it he would conceal this disturbance from his apprentice?

I am pretty sure Qui-Gon's focus rests on the force. He didn't go with the council's ideals aswell. Perhaps his dedication to the force was phenomenal. If there was one jedi throughout the films that fully trusted on the force it was him.

He even demanded Anakin to be trained despite that the council did not agree on that. They all were almost sure about he was the prophecy. The chosen one.

it's weird to me that somebody like Qui-Gon had more focus on the force than Obi-Wan and did not see what was about to happen.

lack of midichlorians? Or was Obi Wan not focussed on the mission? I don't know. I find this hard to figure out.

4. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    QuiGon did tell him to keep his concentration here and now, where it belonged..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It means jedi are not all static, they have differences like top athletes have differences, and they are not omniscient.

darthvader88 likes this.
  6. Elder74

Apr 3, 2020
    Makes more sense now. Besides the betrayel happened pretty much unexpected. Just like order 66.

It all makes more sense to me now. Some Jedi were killed off guard and some felt the disturbance in time and managed to save lives.

Thanks guys! May the force be with you!

7. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    I think Qui Gon was somebody more in tune with the Living Force. He could sense the value of overlooked beings like Jar Jar and had an understanding of some of the more esoteric qualities of the force. I think he had a long view upon the potential destiny of people he met and his shrewd yet kind nature helped him mediate as a negotiator.

But in terms of sensing potential agression upon him he wasn't the best, as evidenced by this attack and the way Maul defeated him by surprise.
    Perhaps his flaw was too often seeing the good in people?

Elder74 likes this.
  8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Because Qui-Gon believes in living in the moment and making decisions based on what you know to be true in the present, not based on ill-defined anxieties about the future.

What good did it actually do Obi-Wan to sense the Sith plot? That was actually part of the Sith plot: Reveal the existence of a sinister plot to the Jedi and then watch as they panic and make increasingly poor decisions in their attempts to prevent it coming to pass. It's a consistent theme of the films that visions of the future are dangerous and using them to guide your actions in the present usually just backfires and ends up making things worse.

Qui-Gon didn't sense what Obi-Wan did because it wasn't relevant information to him. Remember, Qui-Gon is the one who first comes to believe the Sith have returned and that the Chosen One has been found, and he comes to these conclusions based on his lived experience. Obi-Wan is the one who refuses to trust Qui-Gon's conclusions, and who sides with the Council about Anakin simply because his future is clouded. Qui-Gon is guided by the Living Force, while Obi-Wan is frequently led astray by his anxieties.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  9. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    In addition to all of that, the real purpose of the dialogue is to establish the Master-Padawan relationship between the two characters, by showing the less experienced Obi-Wan being slightly uneasy, and the older and wiser master calming him down (the reverse wouldn't be logical). And even more importantly, to establish the philosophy of the Force as a way of "feeling" and "sensing" things that aren't apparent.

Most of the times, the early dialogue on a film is written in a slightly clunky way just because it has to introduce the characters, relationships and plots to the audience.

Elder74, Lulu Mars and Valiowk like this.
  10. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I'd have to disagree, I think the opening dialogue of TPM elegantly establishes important themes which will go on to define the series. I think it's intentional and significant that Obi-Wan senses the Sith plot but can do nothing with his "bad feeling" other than allow himself to be distracted from his present mission. I don't think Lucas chose the opening lines of the series lightly.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Qui-Riv-Brid and Count Yubnub like this.
  11. Elder74

Apr 3, 2020

I searched for qui gon on youtube. And found the video above. Thought it was quite funny.

I don't think they were aware of the sith until Qui Gon encountered Maul on Tatooine. Hence the name TPM.

12. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Actually I think everyone misunderstands the title. To describe something using the adjective "phantom" means to say that it is illusory or nonexistent despite being perceived as real. The phantom menace is therefore the blockade crisis, which has been manufactured in order to hide the true threat of the Sith, which is the actual menace.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Valiowk and darkspine10 like this.
  13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    ... and who appears as a phantom. I don’t think the title has only one meaning.

14. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    And one could argue that it also refers to Anakin, what with the Council doing everything short of screaming, “Take that kid back where he came from or so help me...!!”

15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well that sort of says it all but the larger point that this all is part of comes down to the fact that Qui-Gon was entirely correct and that Anakin was the Chosen One which proves out in ROTJ as he destroys the Sith and brings balance to the Force.

Obi-Wan trained Anakin because of Qui-Gon not because he ever truly believed in the prophecy.

Elder74 likes this.
  16. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Didn’t he kind of believe in it toward the end?

“With all due respect, Master, is he not the Chosen One?”
    “YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE! IT WAS SAID YOU’D DESTROY THE SITH, NOT JOIN THEM!!”

17. Elder74

Apr 3, 2020
    Obi Wan his trust was based on what the council told him. He even questioned it. In a conversation with Yoda and Mace in a LAAT. He believed in the prophecy. But questioned it when the whole situation started become darker and darker. The jedi were blind. Mace and Yoda also said that the prophecy could have been misread. Balance to the force is a statement that can go both ways.

18. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Well, no actually, balance is very specifically a thing which can't go both ways.

He believed in it when everything seemed to be going the right way, but then stopped believing in it when everything started going wrong. I personally think he regained his faith when he held Luke in his arms and heard Padme say there was still good in Anakin.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  19. Elder74

Apr 3, 2020