main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Boba Fett in The Mandalorian & Spinoffs (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by RX_Sith, May 9, 2020.

1. Verbal21

Verbal21 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2011
    There is a ton of things people would’ve argued to death that weren’t plausible that happened in all 3 sequel movies if you would’ve told fans about them in December of 2015. Star Wars is just one big retcon and shoehorning scenarios. For better or for worse is up for debate but this is no different.

You have every right to be in denial and that’s totally acceptable and all. But Boba Fett will be alive come season 2 so what’s really left for anyone of us to say?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    TadoFett likes this.
  2. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    You're right that there are things in all the movies that aren't plausible within the context of the GFFA, but this has nothing to do with them. This has to do with the needless resurrection of a character simply due to popularity. It's the same with Filoni saving Ahsoka and refusing to let her die. How about we have post-Vader Anakin show up? We'll make up some moronic story about how Luke only burned Vader's suit so everyone thought he was dead, but in reality, Luke secretly nursed Vader back to health, and gave him a code name so no one would know he was Anakin/Vader, but it'll be a wink and a nod to the fans so that we know who it is.

This is a fantasy world, and as such, I have no issue with suspension of belief, but when they start stretching that suspension too far, it stops being enjoyable.

And you're right that apparently Boba Fett will miraculously come alive in season two. So what is there left to say, you ask? These are the kind of things that will ruin a good show, and it's leading me to not want to watch the Mandalorian. Which is a shame. It was such a good show, but now they're just doing fanboy stuff and writing fanboy fiction.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Boba coming back won't ruin the show. and there is no reason why it should ruin the show

RetropME, Flyer75, TadoFett and 2 others like this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    A New Hope was Lucas' fanboy fiction tribute to Kurosawa. You can't escape it Chuck, this whole franchise is predicated on catering to fanboys and fangirls.

TadoFett likes this.
  5. Verbal21

Nov 5, 2011
    Exactly. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm indifferent about him but the fixation and level of hatred for a guy with 5 lines in the OT is perplexing. The overly dramatic repsponses are entertaining though. Not watching the show because Boba makes a cameo is probably Top 3 funniest things I've ever read on a forum though. Good one[face_laugh]

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The "Boba sux" bandwagon is one of the more annoying bandwagons in fandom.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Agreed. The Bor Mullet sux bandwagon on the other hand is one I can get on board with. ;)

8. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    For starters, I've never claimed Boba Fett sucks. Nor have I ever stated I do not like the character.

My disdain for his appearance, and for Ahsoka, and all the other rumored cameos is that it becomes fan service instead of continuing to tell an organic and original story. Which is what we got with season one. We had a show that was a true anthology to the saga on the whole. Events that transpired at the same time as the saga, but across the galaxy and had nothing to do with the saga. Not everything that happened in the GFFA had an impact on the saga on the whole. Not every story has to be linked and tied back into the saga on the whole. There are people who live across the town, or state, or country from any of us that we will never meet, much less interact with, and their lives will have zero impact on anything that happens in our lives. This was that kind of story. This was a chance to expand the galaxy beyond what we had seen. But instead, we're getting the same few characters in everything. The GFFA is much bigger than the roughly 50 characters everyone wants to keep shoving down people's throats by having them in everything. Let's explore that larger galaxy for a change.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I'm with you 100%.

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Except if that was what you were looking for then The Mandalorian was not the series you were looking for. Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Bounty Hunters, Mandalorians etc were all weaved by Lucas into his world of the movies and TCW.

It's certainly not beyond what we had seen but expanded layers of what had already been seen. To go beyond that would require to create something actually new outside of the sandbox that Lucas created which includes Jedi, Sith, rogues, smugglers, bounty hunters, troopers et al.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  11. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    You're entitled to your opinion of course, but repeating it doesn't make it more salient than everyone else's. Up until the EU was rebooted, Fett's survival was canon, and his post-ROTJ storylines were very important in that version of Star Wars history. I see nothing inherently ridiculous or far-fetched about him having survived, and not too many people complained about it back then. Nor is there anything surprising or forced about him appearing in a show that was heavily inspired by his character (and his original background) to begin with.

It has somehow become fashionable to bash
    Boba Fett as a character in recent times, and I for one am exhausted by the inevitable rants about the character every time it comes up. We all have our own opinions, but why be so negative about it? If you don't like it, that's fine, but don't assume everyone feels the same way. Dave Filoni has earned our trust with his previous work, and the cameos he has included have largely been meaningful and well-received by most. Let's wait and see how it all turns out before assuming the worst or being negative.

eko32eko7, Qui-Riv-Brid and Crod1992 like this.
  12. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Again, please someone show me where I have bashed the character of Boba Fett? Nothing in my comment that you quoted bashes Boba Fett. And at no point have I assumed anyone else feels the same as I do, nor would I ever assume such a thing. My opinions, and my comments are my own and I speak for myself. At no point have I made a comment that purports to be comprehensive of the Star Wars fandom. Never have I made a comment along the lines of Everyone hates Boba Fett, etc. No, Filoni has earned YOUR trust. Speak for yourself. You accuse me of, and call me out for supposedly doing what you just did, so speak for yourself, not everyone else. Man up and own up to your comments. I don't care if my comments or my opinions fall in line with the majority. Nor do I care if they fall in line with the minority. I don't care if I'm the only person who feels as I do. It's still my opinion, and I'll still own up to my opinion. And the best part of all of this is I'm entitled to my opinion, just as others are entitled to theirs. I am also entitled to post my opinions, regardless of whether they agree or disagree with the topic at hand. And I'm entitled to argue my position within the context of the topic at hand. If that means I have to repeat my point and my opinion to get it across to everyone, I'll do so.And who knows, maybe I'll change a few minds. Make a cogent argument, and maybe you'll change mine.

If having a healthy debate exhausts you, then maybe these forums are not for you. And, no, I do not feel my opinion matters more than anyone else's opinions, but I am still entitled to mine, as you are to yours and others are to theirs.

Are you intentionally being obtuse, or just don't understand the comment I made? This was a chance to expand the galaxy with new characters. New stories. New settings. Of course, you knew what I was talking about, but then again, if it's not verbal [removed] of the prequels, maybe you don't comprehend. And by the way, the Mandalorian is not a follow up to ROTS. You know, just in case you were wondering.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2020
  13. Verbal21

Nov 5, 2011
    I’m not picking sides and you’re entitled to your own opinion but you did say you have a disdain for Boba Fett and he would make you not watch this show anymore.

You may not have flat out said he sucks but you’re coming across pretty negative and overly dramatic about these season 2 cameo’s already without having seen any footage. Yes, everything here is just everyone’s opinions but it seems like you’re just venting frustrations and people are just entertaining you for them. Hopefully, we get that trailer within the next 24 to move on from this topic.

TadoFett likes this.
  14. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    No, I said my disdain was for the fan service cameos, regardless of whether it's Fett, etc. And if I am venting frustrations, is that not allowed? Am I not allowed? Or is it only allowed when it falls in line with your viewpoint? And as I said, make a cogent argument. Maybe you'll change my mind on things.

BRE likes this.
  15. Verbal21

Nov 5, 2011
    I never said you couldn’t but clearly you’re worked up and are very defensive right now. Please feel free to get the last word in though and I make sure you get all your frustration out.

I’ll be back after the trailer drops and will only discuss that going forward.

TadoFett likes this.
  16. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Worked up? Not at all. There is nothing here to get upset over. It's hard to get upset when I'm right, and everyone else is wrong. I'm kidding. Enjoy the trailer.

BRE likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nothing to get upset over... says the guy who's been upset over a rumor ever since it popped up. Maybe, and hear me out for a second, maybe wait for actual info to come out before spreading more negativity. There comes a point where legit criticism can cross into overwrought bashing. Let's try not to cross that line, m'kay?

18. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    IBIT

in boba I trust

Crod1992 and TadoFett like this.
  19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I took it on face value which was "to expand it beyond what we had seen". This isn't the case in The Mandalorian which is expanding on what we've seen and know of the Star Wars galaxy. You didn't say to expand upon what we had seen which is what is going on with Mandalore and bounty hunter stories.

Which they've done but obviously it's particularly based on what's already been seen and done both directly from Lucas and what others have done be that in other mediums like books, comics and video games.

Apparently not! Sorry that it upset you so.

Well one way or another everything in this era is a follow-up to ROTS. One thing leads to another. In this case post-ROTJ which only happens due to ROTS.

20. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    After a long break from this site, I have returned just to say that I hope Fett is in season 2 in some capacity, even though it might be fan service. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Caveat: do it smartly.

21. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    Honestly, Boba Fett still being alive is much much more believable than when Darth Maul was resurrected. Fett wasn’t cut in half. He fell into the mouth of a monster with full armor on. ...and had a jet pack.

22. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Agreed. Also, his survival was a staple of the old post-ROTJ EU, and those story arcs were fairly popular. It really has become fashionable amongst fandom to bash Fett in recent years. The trend years ago was that he was one of the more popular characters when they did polls for SWI, etc. You can argue whether he should be or not, but that's another story.

To me, Fett was always about potential for the character. He stood up to Vader in ESB, fools and captured Han, and generally was a great bad guy in ESB. Yes, he has little to do in ROTJ and died a lame death, but the EU, and to a certain extent, The Mandalorian, show what can be done with a character like that. Lucas even said he would not have had him die in ROTJ if he had realized how popular the character would become.

If rumors are true, he has only a small part on season 2, with a more substantial arc in future seasons. I think he could be a good foil to the title character, precisely because both of them were so similar, even though Din Djarin has evolved past where we first see him in the series.

23. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    I've always had trouble with Darth Maul being resurrected given we seen the injury inflicted together with the fall. Fett on the other hand wasn't injured, had armour on and presumably fell straight into the sarlaac's belly. It was heavily implied that victims would go straight to it's belly and not be chewed up on the way there.

RetropME and TadoFett like this.
  24. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I agree with Maul. I never liked the idea of him somehow surviving, even if they did tell a great story after he was resurrected. And yes, Boba Fett's survival is more plausible than Maul's, but it doesn't mean it is believable. If something smells less horribly than something else, does it not still smell horrible itself?

With Fett, however, he wears armor, but only covers his chest, shoulders and lower legs. Not completely protected. A lot of areas left open to the Sarlacc to inflict damage. Also, after Han hits Fett's jet pack, we don't know if it's fully functioning at that point. Han did cause it to fire without being properly ignited. Fett's blaster was cut in half by Luke. So Fett's survival is now potentially at a stark disadvantage.

Others have stated that Fett's armor was found next to the pit. To me, this implies that while Fett himself was digested, the Sarlacc couldn't digest the armor, so it spit it out, so to speak.

If they go the route of Cobb Vanth wearing Fett's armor, pretending to be Boba Fett while the real Boba Fett is actually dead, that would be highly plausible, and could tell a great story of how "Boba Fett" survived. It has the potential to give the audience that shock of Fett being alive, and then the big reveal of it not actually being Boba Fett. Which then opens the door for the backstory of Vanth finding Fett's armor on Tatooine.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  25. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I ain't sure the Sarlacc has that digestional control to get inside the armour and spit the rest out. not quite sure how it could do that.

I don't know if the Amour was found by the pitt. from what i read all that's really said is the Sarlacc was damaged by flaming sail barge after ROTJ and jawa's ransacked it soon after.

Its said through monologue by one of Jabba's former Rancor handler

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    TadoFett likes this.