main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Boba Fett - Possible Spin-Off (Cancelled - See Page 57 for Details)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Django Fett, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Long Way Round Tatooine.
    Obi-Wan and Owen Lars circumnavigate the planet on speeder bikes. The series revolves around cantina-hopping, repairing their bikes, living off womp rats, sand storms, etc.

2. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    OK, but Boba Fett isn't a Mandolorian, right? The only similarity is that he wears the same uniform as far as I know.

And perhaps the idea that he is a loner or rogue character, but that alone wouldn't make him a replacement for Boba Fett. As far as I know, the creator of the show came up with this story based on Mandalorians that he was familiar with, pitched it to KK, and she liked it and agreed. It wasn't so much, "hey, let's make a show to replace Boba Fett."

I was 99.99% sure this was coming after Solo. If they were to have a backstory at this point, it would be someone like Obi Wan that casual viewers know. They won't make one based on an esoteric fan-favorite like "Boba who?"

The Boba Fett movie was thought to be a good idea back when they still thought everything released with the SW title would turn to gold regardless of what it contained or how it was approached; the reality that it is more complicated than that has sunk in at this point. I bet they are glad they didn't try to release it before Solo, that would have been a far worse box office calamity.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    SilentGuy66 and kalzeth like this.
  3. MaciekRS

MaciekRS Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    Good news for me.
    I want new stories, new places not Bobba story, Cantina stories or Jabba palace stories.
    Its time to MOVE ON!

2Cleva, vong333 and Darth_Bertie like this.
  4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think that is a possibility. They are going to be careful in the future about putting SW moving close together in releases, and I just don't see them risking another backstory as the only SW movie released in a year's time; not anytime in the next 5-10 years anyway, the landscape would really have to change. Confirmation of no Boba Fett movie makes Obi Wan less likely IMO; it is a clear sign of hesitance to make more back stories. Ongoing stories in Obi's life on Tattoine (they would obviously have to expand the context, but it could be done) would seem an appropriate candidate for a TV series.

I can't much relate to talk on this site about a TV series being a "lesser" option than a movie. You get 2 hours for a movie; you often get years out of a TV series. Even if it were a very good movie, would you have gotten as much enjoyment out of GOT or BB if they had ONLY been a 2 hour movie with no TV series? I'm going to say no.

They will want to build the new stories and characters from movies created by D&D or Rian, or whoever else makes new SW movies. I think the direction for movies is shifting that way, which I would prefer.

5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm happy they cancelled it. I considered it to be a weak idea since when I knew it, regardless of how good the execution could have eventually been.

2Cleva and DarthHass like this.
  6. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Thank the Maker!

7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    So does this mean that the past three + years of Fett free Nu-canon material has been for nothing...

DurararaFTW and KikReask like this.
  8. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    I'm now more blue down there then ever now. Back in the day Dark Horse made countless Fett stories, but Marvel has only had Fett in one single story that isn't about him. Been waiting for a new Fett comic forever. We still have a Jango Fett comic, but its only one, and it's not out until next year.

They need to finish that Boba Fett vs Cad Bane episode otherwise no one will care about the Fett man anymore.

SilentGuy66 and kalzeth like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    No story idea is weak with the right storytellers. But for me, I think the Mandalorian will scratch my underworld itch well enough.

10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm not going to say I am just glad they cancelled it, it just means to me that whatever story they were cooking for a Boba Fett movie might not have jived. I am glad that they are reviewing everything and taking the right approach. Solo was a good movie, but not good enough for the box office. Star Wars cannot post numbers like that again. This also could mean that the clone war episode with Boba and Cade may actually get released with the other ones.

3sm1r likes this.
  11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I'm glad the cancelled it to .....Solo failed at the Box Office so really Boba Fett had no hope & there wasn't much excitement for it as far as I'm concerned ,

Thank fully Kenobi is still in the mix ( I hope ) .

12. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Guess we've seen the last of Alden & co. as well. Thanks for your service folks!

13. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I’m ok with this. Boba Fett was more interesting shrouded in mystery and I don’t think he could carry a movie by himself. In a supporting role maybe.

Obi-wan however I still hope for. If anything he’s a major character that people have been asking for. But nothing will be announced until after episode is for sure.

3sm1r likes this.
  14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I disagree, a story idea can be weak.
    Imo they should stop trying to pick any single little element of the OT and try to make a movie out of it, and start trying to actually build something original. I don't exclude that the movie could have been well made, but it would have probably contributed to the impression I already have that under Disney the SW universe feels smaller than what it could potentially be.

MaciekRS likes this.
  15. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Not surprised. As I said before, the Mandalorian fills the void and will be our bounty hunter fix. Boba’s fate will remain ambiguous, with the tidbit from Aftermath being all we have. He likely survived. But after that, we have no idea.

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Esquire magazine is speculating that the Fett's will have a role in The Mandalorian. Interesting.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I agree with much of this; I think there are bad story ideas. Getting a good idea followed by writing it well is the overall key; not terribly keen on something that is "well written for a sucky idea."

I like what Disney has done in terms of the movies so far, but I agree they need to push for some new ideas; I'm optimistic though, especially given D&D are involved. I am glad they didn't waste an annual SW movie on Fett; there are just so much better ideas, and after what happened with the Solo box office, they can't afford to fudge around with ideas that the public might be lukewarm on (or downright reject) like Fett. He has an appeal to the hardcore fans, and that's about it.

Oops, sorry for the double post...

MaciekRS likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think there’s something very creative about, for example, taking a small part of the ANH crawl and turning that into an epic and emotional film. Yes, adding layers to the OT can be done poorly and unimaginatively. But as Rogue One showed, with the right talent, such extrapolations can really enrich the franchise.

Avnar and EHT like this.
  19. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I think that's a given. I'm certain we'll see Fett in some form in The Mandalorian.

20. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    There goes the Boba Fett movie. I didn't knew it was still officially going until recently.

21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Bor Mullet
    RO was good, bit imo it's not easy to go ahead with several movies like RO following a similar formula.
    They become predictable very soon:

Theo333 likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m not arguing for a formula repeat. From a storytelling perspective, RO was a very different kind of Star Wars film that we hadn’t quite seen before. Rather than an action-adventure about coming of age (as the OT and PT were), it was a slice of life film about a hardened criminal who learns, painfully, the value of sacrifice for a greater purpose. And then she leads a Battle of Britain-style mission into certain death for that cause. If you reduce stories down to their placement in an in-universe era, like the dark times/ OT, of course everything is going to look unoriginal or the same. It’s like saying that Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, Schindler’s List and Inglorious Basterds are redundant because they all take place during WWII. When in fact, they are vastly different types of stories. The truth is that there are hundreds of different kinds of stories that can be told in the same time periods without running the risk of unoriginality. It’s what stories you tell, and how you tell them, that counts. Not a fictional “era.”

RLM, as usual, simply proves that they’re not storytellers or legitimate film critics. They’re just fans that can’t see outside those boundaries.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  23. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Is it really anywhere close to what I was saying?

Man, come on, you might not like RLM (like many other people in this forum, I guess) but here they basically predicted the whole plot, what could they do more than that? By the way, Stoklasa's work on the PT was mentioned by Roger Ebert himself, but that's off topic. I don't like your distinction between legitimate and non-legitimate film critics. It feels like anybody will be always able to say "yeah, they're not legitimate" everytime someone makes completely fair critiques, just because he does them on YouTube.

Exactly, and I want stories that expand the universe instead of shrinking it. Focusing on a minor characters that has few lines in the OT, just because fan fell in love with his mask, didn't look promising, to me, for accomplishing that goal.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The universe can be expanded in multiple directions, though. Expanded through time (new eras), and through space (new places, characters and stories within the same eras). Both add layers to the galaxy and enhance verisimilitude. For me, the latter is more important than the former. Rogue One, for example, may have been a direct lead in to ANH, but it was a very different kind of story, in terms of both genre and tone. That’s more important to me than having similar stories and styles in new eras.

But these are not mutually exclusive. You can have new eras, and new genres and styles. And you can do that new stuff in existing eras too. I welcome both. And I wish SW fandom was more open to the creative possibilities inherent in both.

Lastly, I think it’s fair to distinguish between fans with popular YouTube channels and professional film critics. The former can be insightful, sometimes. But they are often too locked into their fan expectations and partisan desires to judge these films as films. Call that anti-populist, if you will. I don’t mind. It’s consistent with how I feel about populists in general, from Italy and Hungary to the United States and beyond.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    3sm1r likes this.
  25. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I would love a Fett film, but the Mandalorian will scratch that itch. I still hope a Kenobi film with Ewan gets made one day.

Bor Mullet and Krueger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.