main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bob's your uncle

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by mikadojedi, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    I was watching the sitcom "Red Dwarf". I love it BTW. And for only the second time in my life heard the phrase "As quick as you can say Bob's your Uncle". It was spoken by Rimmer. The other time was in "Mary Poppins". Spoken by Bert. What does that phrase mean? I am from the US. Thanks.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    My mum's brother is called Robert :)

Anyway, a three second search on Google reveals this

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bob1.htm

3. mikadojedi

Sep 25, 2003
    Ironic that the answer should come from you. My thanks.

4. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    I did some research and found this:

BOB'S YOUR UNCLE! - informal. Similar to "there you are! that's it! voila!.An expression used at the end of instructions such as road directions, recipes and the like.One explanation of this curious phrase is its alleged use in Robert Peel's campaign for a seat in Parliament. He was a 'law and order' man nicknamed Bob and 'uncle' was a term implying benefaction and protection: Vote for Bob - Bob's your Uncle! Maybe. 'Uncle' is British (as well as American) slang for 'pawnbroker,' and a pawnbroker is, presumably, a friend in need. Another educated guess at its derivation relates to the appointment in 1887 of Arthur Balfour as Chief Secretary for Ireland by the then Prime Minister Robert Cecil, Lord Salisbury, who happened to be Balfour's uncle. This obvious act of nepotism was decried by many. The saying then went (if this derivation can be believed): You ask for the job - he remembers your name - and 'Bob's your uncle!'." From "British English: A to Zed" by Norman W. Schur (Harper Perennial, New York, 1987).

Maybe Schur didn't get over to London very often. The Balfour/Salisbury origin is a bit more than an educated guess. It's widely accepted in etymological circles and is given in most reference works, not least the Oxford Press:

"(and) BOB's your uncle" The Oxford Dictionary of Idioms. Ed. Jennifer Speake. Oxford University Press, 2000.

And funny that you should mention it, but yes. Bob is my uncle!

5. mikadojedi

Sep 25, 2003
    Thanks to you to Jedi_Nat. Much obliged, as they say. Wow, two answers from folks with Uncle Bob's. How about that?

6. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    Never worked for me, Bob was my dad.
    Worked great for my cousins though!
    :p

7. JunoirVader

JunoirVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2004
    Yay! Red Dwarf! You only just noticed that? I saw it the first time I watched the episode (even though I can't remember which episode it is ;) ). Anyone know when the next series is out on DVD?

8. mikadojedi

Sep 25, 2003
    In the UK Seasons 7 & 8 are not that far off. I got a note from the RD website. As for the US, where I am from. It could take awhile.

9. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Novemebr I think for the UK

I love The Crimson Short One.

10. mikadojedi

Sep 25, 2003
    Never got to see Series 7 and 8 yet. Can't wait for them.

11. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    Yay, I love Red Dwarf. I've got series 1-6 and have been patiently waiting for the next 2. Bob was my dad too (well, Robert was) but he was my cousins' uncle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.