main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks body paint

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by cyndilt76, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked and bumping for recent query.

2. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm working on finishing my Aayla costume. I was wondering about matching the bodypaint to the lekku color.
    We used acrylic craft paint (non-toxic) in the latex for the lekku. Since the Temptu color doesn't come in aqua, do you think getting it in a white and then adding the acrylic color would work?

If Karma is around, what color Ben Nye did you use?

3. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked.

4. Jedi_Nausicaa

Jedi_Nausicaa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    Has anyone done anything with using dyes instead? I'm on a college student's budget and can't afford the expensive paints. I was thinking of trying either fabric or hair dye instead (I don't mind staying blue until it comes off, really). Does anyone know how well this will work? Will it come off on things? Or is it best for me to just experiment in advance on a foot or something?

5. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    When I tint my latex for halloween appliances, I just use the $1.00 bottles of acrylic at Walmart. I also mix the acrylic with latex to paint masks and such.
    [image=http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/navarre1095/IMG_0705.jpg]
    I wouldn't recommend painting my skin with it though.

6. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    It'd be fine if you're not allergic to latex.

I've also put latex on people's faces several times for Halloween gore stuff. It works great.

You'd better shave everything you're gonna paint though. Or else you're in for a world of pain.

ALTHOUGH.... There was an episode of Mythbusters where they painted Jamie head to toe in latex paint and he got kind of queasy after a little while, but he had probably 95% of his body covered. Face, arms, and midriff should be fine.

7. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    You can make your own industry standard paints at home for a fraction of the cost:
    http://fx.wikia.com/wiki/PAX

I have also had success just mixing very flexible acrylics with moisturiser and water and brushing it on with a wide medium bristled brush. It gave better and more even coverage than a sponge actually.

8. Jedi_Nausicaa

Feb 14, 2005
    Okay ... I tested hair dye (since I was dying my hair blue anyway) with no luck. It did stay on and make a nice, even color, but it started to itch after a while and got blue on my clothes.

Does that acrylic mixture stay on even when wet? Maybe I'll try that.

9. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Try googling Ben Nye Color Cake Foundation. I tried some for my Twilek costume and it didn't come off in water and it wasn't itchy. It's best to apply it with the Liquiset solution, it makes it water proof. The make-up comes off with Make-up remover or soap and water (with a little elbow grease ;) )

10. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Wow, does that really work? I tried that matte sealer spray right above it and wasn't thrilled with the results.

11. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Mine stayed on without coming off for a long time. I didn't go out for a run in the rain but I did get pretty hot and could have sweated off a lesser product;) The main thing is to make sure you use a good quality acrylic that is flexible- these are usually rather glossy.
    http://costumes.glittersweet.com/lotr/galadriel.htm
    Sigh, the green I used made my hair look a lot redder than it really is. I do have high colouring but the contrast made it that much more obvious;)
    Anyway if you click the first thumbnail you'll see how it looked after several hours without reapplications. It wore off from my lips and palms of my hands. I think if I had've brought a small pot (a travel sized container for powder would be ideal) I could have stored some in ther and udes it for repairs. It certainly dries fast enough.

Now the PAX stuff... they do give a guide on how to clean it off so yeah you could say it is difficult to remove and thus not likely to come off with just water.

12. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Ever since someone pointed out Temptu, I've really wanted to try it, but it's so damned expensive. In case you guys missed it, check it out:

Temptu's Dura Airbrush Makeup

$12.00 an ounce. Brutal. But it can be used underwater. Under freakin' water. Incredible. There's a reason movies cost so much.

13. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    temptu looks very intriguing. I'm looking at their colors and I'd probably have to mix merlot and red to get the shade of red I need...

14. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Careful with the Temptu stuff...it is removed by an alcohol-based cleanser and lots of elbow grease....if you have sensitive skin you could get rashy. Trust me on this one, I learned the hard way. :( But it looks great!!!!
  15. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    Did you paint your whole body? If so how many ounces did it take?

16. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Yes, I would like to know this too!

17. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    No, just my face, neck and hands. I used a little less than 1oz, but it is hard to say how much I really should have used to get the right coverage...I was just experimenting. If you use an airbrush you really don't need to use a ton since the airbrush covers so much more evenly that a sponge.
  18. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    Wow. A whole body would take like a pint. $120 for one appearance. [face_laugh]

19. Jedi_Nausicaa

Feb 14, 2005
    The link you gave just gave me natural colors; was it the "MagiCake Aqua Makeup" that you meant?

20. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    So, I?m going to CIV and I?m going to be dressing up at Grand Admiral Thrawn. It seems that everybody is talking about full body paints, whereas I just need my face, neck and hands. Would the blue Kryolan work the best? I don?t have an airbrush so I would have to sponge it on. Would I need any sort of a makeup base before applying it? Does anybody have a favorite place to buy it online?

Thanks,

21. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    this sounds really crazy, but i got this random idea to try for body paint. temporary aerosol hair color. i can't say anything about the health effects of using it on your skin, but it didn't bother the arm i sprayed, it didn't rub off and it came off with soap and water. this stuff is cheap and you can get it around halloween, although i know of a lot of drugstores and beauty supply places that carry this stuff year round. hey if you're broke like me.... anything goes!

if you're just doing your face, i like using ben nye. there's lots of colors, it's easy to blend and not too expensive. just know when you use it that you need to powder your face when you're done and you might have to do as you go to protect the color already your face (especially on your eyes). i'm going to use for my amidala outfit. i've used it for maul, cannibal jack, almost every day in my makeup class at school.... also know that whenever you use any type of theatrical makeup, you will not be able to remove it with soap and water. use cheap cold cream.

you can also use greasepaint which is not as nasty as you'd think. it's the only thing that covers latex...

p.m. me if you have questions that maybe i can help you with as i'm taking a theatrical makeup class. : )

22. abodeofthedamned

abodeofthedamned Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2004
    Actually there are several paints and inks that can be used on latex. Creme makeup mixed with a dab of castor oil is basically the same as grease paint. You can also use PAX (Pros-Aide and liquiteX)

As for body makeup there are any number of paint you can use. The Ben Nye stuff is the best of the mid range price paints.

Also on X-Men they used food coloring for Toad. They did'n't mention what was used to remove it though.

23. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    If it was anything like the food coloring I used for a head to toe dye, they probably just removed it with soap, water, and a good scrubing.

24. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    I'm in the process of completing a padawan Aayla costume, and I bought an airbrush to apply the body paint. For this costume, I only have to cover my face, neck, a keyhole cutout in the chest, shoulders, and hands. I bought my lekku from Pam Simpson. She uses Ben Nye Liquicolor. She says she mixes hers with Final Seal and that it doesn't come off, even on the palms of your hands. You can also use it on the latex. I believe you need to spray the latex with Final Seal also to avoid having the paint show up as a different color than on your skin. She also says that she sets down on her skin with the Ben Nye pan makeup, to get the little hairs on your skin to stick down, otherwise she says you end up like a cactus when you airbrush yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.