main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bolsheviks on the JC? Or, the Have's and the Have-not's strike again.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Wattowatta, May 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    good grief. don't blame me for being sarcastic....highlight me as a flamer if you want and spank my rear but this thread......

equals WHINE! WHINE! WHINE!

get off the soapbox el cheapo.

Here we go, the obligatory band reference. [face_plain] yep i'm in band. i'm in many organizations actually come to think of it, but band i find is very comparable to this situation. WHy? because you have drum majors and band officers as the 'elite' of the band. People that are held in contempt for their supposed egotism and unfairly getting to do 'cool' stuff, and also that they kissed asses to get where they are. sometimes i just want to smack those people. I've been there, on the 'inferior' side, and on the 'superior' side. It doesn't seem to ever change. the 'elite' people work their butt's off to help the 'inferiors', sacrificing their time, their patience, and sometimes their sanity to help these people, mostly because they genuinely want to help people, and they get **** back for it. You know, these things happen. That's why people that bitch all the time need to cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

Basically, because there ain't much you can do in this situation. The setup works, there's only so far you can walk down the path towards a utopian society before you can get no further. You do know that right? that utopia is impossible?

what were you trying to accomplish? equality among the members of the boards? I'm sorry dear, but there are quite a few members on the boards that I wouldnt' dare dream see have any kind of 'status' on here besides stupid and muttering to themselves.

farraday being out of hand and whatever else it was you said, <sorry i did actually read about all four pages of this b.s.>, have you chatted with him on IM? he's a puppy dog on the boards who does his job well compared to the sarcasm etc. he shows on IM.

Sapient. well where to go with this. kissing ass. heh. everyone does that you know. at some point in there lives if not every moment in their life. get over it, once again. I was not around for the sapient kissing spree, but i've heard about it from both sides of the fence. It sounds similar to band once again, if you know you have the skills, and you know that you want to genuinely help people, then you let the people who stand a chance of hiring you for the spot know so they don't skip you over. and on a board like this where it's easy to get skipped over you better put your wishes in bold, highlighted, and underlined or it may just never come into the limelight.

edit: sorry, finger got numb after awhile and forgot a '/' for a markup code.

2. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Is there a Cliff's Notes version of this thread available yet?? I've got a lot of other things to do.

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999

My few comments:

-Sapiente talks about sucking up to JC mods at the Ep-X forums (the whole 2 times I've gone there).

-Internet_Drama should have a field day here.

-This is a Star Wars message board. Not real life. I love this place too, but it's NOT real life. I like Star Wars, I come here to talk about it.

-I want the Cliff Notes too.

4. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    -Sapiente talks about sucking up to JC mods at the Ep-X forums (the whole 2 times I've gone there).

That not actually him, that's just Darth Psychotic being "cool".

5. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    1)
    life, sadly is not fair, this place, like anyother place is riven with cliques, ingroups, larrikans, purveyours of exotic engravings, and other such filth, and there is nothing you can do about that. sadly some will be made moderators, priests, king bean, candyass in chief who probably don't deserve it due entirely to their connections, or their despicable niceness and helpfulnes, others who do exactly the same will not be rewarded, for no apparent good reason to the masses....or to the goons in charge. now regarding the said member on charge, Darth Sapient, sure, i don't like his lack of space in his name, but for all that he did help lead the Buttsteak Crusade, and for that he should have our undying thanks

2).
    ullo Kyle, long time no see in here, welcome back, this place has been entirely too lovey-dovey of late, despite the good work of wattowatta

3).
    ok, for all those internet drama/this is just a message board idiots out there, thing i want to know is why the hell are you posting your displeasure in this thread, let alone this forum if you are so above all this "drama"?

if you really that above it stay the hell out of here, your silence will say more than words ever can

6. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    I'm responding without having taken notes, so forgive if I've missed something. I'm sure you'll let me know, though.

First up! My spam that farraday closed:

It's quite simple: two people had two different ideas on what they consider spam. I didn't see a problem with it, farraday did. farraday is 'in charge' of JCC, therefor I defer to his judgement. He closed my thread, I did not argue. That was the end of the issue, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't get upset, I didn't care. farraday cracks down a little harder than I personally would, but ... so? This is the result sometimes - I'll post something that I wouldn't necessarily see as spam, but which farraday sees as spam. So he closes it. So what? I don't care, it certainly wasn't important enough to me to really worry about. I never gave it a second thought!

Second! The issue of DarthSapient 'sucking up'.

HA! One of the biggest myths on the boards! DarthSapient never 'sucked up'! I didn't get PM's telling me I was the best. I didn't get PM's with offers to carry my books, wash my car, clean my apartment, pay my bills... I didn't get emails from him where he complimented my fashion choices, my moderating style, my hair, my eyes, my taste in women... Nothing! DarthSapient never "kissed ass"! Nothing of the sort! Where did this start? The only thing Sapient was guilty of was helping out and making it known that he wanted to help out in an official capacity. Why is it suddenly a travesty that he's given that opportunity?

Nearly every newbie that comes on the boards says, "Can I be a mod? Ooooh! Oooooh! I'll do a good job, I promise!" It was only the truly dedicated that just went around their daily life here, and quietly made things better in their own way. Those were the people that became mods.

However, here he is, a mod with colors and a crazy little icon to boot. The connotation is that he is no different from any other newbie on the forum, except that he licked the most dirt off the boots of the admins. That's what's wrong here, and that's what never should have happened.

If nearly every newbie does this, and only Sapient was given mod status, how does that equal a bad precedent? If you ask me, that simply proves that only those folks that really want to help and who are dedicated will get the position.

If ALL users want to be mods, then why the obsession with Sapient? If all users do what he did, how on earth did we pick HIM? Well, I'll tell you - we picked him because he HELPED! He actually sent us all daily PM's with links to problem threads! He put effort in!

Your argument here doesn't hold up. He was promoted not because he 'kissed ass' (he never did), not because he 'campaigned' (because, by that logic, all people who campaign, which, by your own admission, is everyone, would be made mods... this hasn't happened, has it?), but rather because he HELPED.

I'm sure there's more, but I've lost the rest of my thoughts...

Vertical

7. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    I'm sick of the repeated, "Sapient got there cuz he sad he wantd to b mod." I'll say it: I want to be a mod. More than 3/4 of the whole JC would say yes if they were given the opportunity to become one. Beating up on Sapient because he said it is stupid. As someone else said, he didn't go around making threads about it, and I'd say he's a damn fine mod, at that.
    _jOBO
    Whoa! Kyle?! Where'd you come from? ;) :p

8. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    In that case...

Vert, I hereby state that I would very much like to help out in an "official capacity" for AT LEAST the day of AotC and three days after. Demote me after that if you want to, but I think I can handle it for a couple days. ;)

:)

Whew...I finally got it out. :p

9. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    I knew it. I knew you'd go from begging to be a VIP to asking to be a tempmod. *shakes head sadly* ;) :p

...and funny Jeffies.

10. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I for one, hope that this thread doesn't now start people going out to help the admins and lost n00bs just so they can become a mod...

If people are going to help, it should be for the betterment of the forum, not for colors...

Well, thats my two creds... *shuts up*

11. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Hey, I don't want to hear any of that Liz. Otherwise, I shall tell the whole JC of your infatuation with ga*mumbles and trails off*

;)

12. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    *sigh*

Ed hasn't been here long, and already she's sick of "mod-bashing", especially when it's the same mod being complained about over and over again (DS). Ed thinks you should give up your ad hominem attacks and just enjoy the boards. Give it a rest, Ed is getting a headache. :_|

*takes aspirin*

13. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    Jeffie: they all know it already. Read Diagon Alley's back posts. :p

...and blackmail material.

14. Glenboy

Glenboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2002
    The similarities between this forum and the O.S. Feedback Forum is really quite disturbing.

Everyday another thread on drama, another dodgy Mod, another abuse of power and more censorship.

I for one don't envy the Mods on any board one little bit.

Does anybody else find these kind of forums more amusing and interesting then any other or is it just my perverse British Humour?

15. The_ModFatherII

The_ModFatherII Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    I agree with the administration on this

16. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Oh, they're great. Half the reason I come to the JC is because of this forum, and the other half is Games.

And I'd just like to say that's a lame sock.

17. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    Liz, Vert, I'm not writing you out, I've just got work to do, and I'll have to get around to writing a decent reply to your posts tomorrow.

18. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    //waits for the inevitable Internet_Humor sock

rolleyes.gif

and, yes, I do find large, factioned boards quite funny. everyone takes themselves so blackly when all they are, really, are a punch of pixels and electrons. :)

Watto - I can deal with that. and I get where you're coming from. But...well, like I said above and I'm not to repost.

...and da Force.

19. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    OK, no sweat. I understand your underlying point, Watto, don't get me wrong. I think the mods should make every effort not to 'flaunt' any position they have.

Vertical

20. Glenboy

Glenboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2002
    Oh, they're great. Half the reason I come to the JC is because of this forum, and the other half is Games.

Well I don't post much on TFN. Its to big and I don't have the time. The O.S. is a different story but thats mainly coz I have a reputation now and I hate to let my fans down. So I just limit myself to this one and the JCC. Don't post much in the JCC coz it doesn't really flick my switch. Different strokes for different folks though.

21. Wattowatta

Wattowatta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2000
    Thanks, Vert.

22. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Whoa! Kyle?! Where'd you come from?

[Khan-esque voice]Ceti Alpha Fi-vve!![/Khan-esque voice]

23. Padme_Wannabe

Padme_Wannabe Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 3, 2002
    *The band metaphor*
    SOOOOOOO true.

ONe day people will learn.

Oh the guard captain drama.

24. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    I for one, hope that this thread doesn't now start people going out to help the admins and lost n00bs just so they can become a mod...

I bet the opposite will also happen.. I predict a lot of well-meaning people who read this thread STOP helping, lest they be accused of being "suck-ups". I know I'll think twice now before PM'ing a mod if I see a problem.

25. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    I know I'll think twice now before PM'ing a mod if I see a problem.

Nah. Do so if you must, just don't make a show of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.