main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bond Between Finn and Rey Going Forward

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Beardwalker, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I didn't say that, just that they need to be careful how treat Rose. FinnRey can happen without they kill/ignore Rose

2. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    I don't like the idea of Rose being friend zoned by Finn for another women. Especially considering the difference between Daisy and Kelly and their level of attractiveness on a leading lady Hollywood standard. (I want to make it clear that I'm not dissing Kelly's looks, I'm just pointing out how shallow and vain Hollywood can be).

So Finn friendzoning Rose for Rey would send a terrible message. My hope is that all 3 stay close friends.

Yora likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’d agree with that. It could be done by Rose deciding she is no longer interested in Finn.

4. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons Rian did it, any deviation from what he set up would just cause controversy (except a Rey and Poe romance for some reason *shrugs* IDK) He wanted his relationship of choice to be the one, he rushed a Finnrose pairing into his film, he's not making EPIX, it's easy to see from a writer's POV.

Personally, I'd just like it explained to me like I'm five years old why Rey would have romantic interest in Kylo with what was shown in TFA? How those two together is the only logical conclusion leading into TLJ.

There's not a thread on the SW sub-Reddit that doesn't contribute to Reylo, yet I can't get a straight answer that doesn't emphasize Driver's intensity (and pretty boy looks) because the tension is near exclusively from Kylo's side.

Rhyoth and CosmicDust like this.
  5. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    How does that send a bad message? I hated the whole meme about Rey "friendzoning" Finn because that implies a woman should feel bad that they don't have romantic feelings for a man, or that he is owed something from her if he has unrequited feelings. Similarly for Finn, if he doesn't like Rose, he doesn't owe her anything and if his friendship is such a bad thing, then that's Rose's problem, not Finn's. He didn't ask for anything and he was the one who was kissed without permission. Rose put herself out there by kissing him, and part of the risk is rejection.

I don't want Rose or Rey to be in a triangle for Finn because it's a cliche and tiring story line. I didn't care for it in ANH with Han, Leia, and Luke and don't care for it now, but that's a separate issue from "friendzoning."

6. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    It sends a bad message with Finn friendzoning the unconventionally attractive character for the more conventionally attractive character.

My issue with this is it should have NEVER been an issue. Rian completely messed everything up. Now the fanbase aren't even excited about a Rose and Finn love story because the relationship was rushed and forced. They should have saved the kiss for IX with Finn developing romantic feelings for Rose instead of it being one-sided in TLJ. And it's a shame because it's a interracial relationship between a black man and an Asian women which we don't see very often in Hollywood and yet the relationship and Canto Bight plotline was botched and has been heavily criticized by both the fans and critics.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  7. StormScavenger

StormScavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2015
    When one of the leads brings up she didn't want to be separated from the other "lead", you know you done goofed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*sigh* What could have been...

C'mon, JJ. Bring on the FinnRey. You're gonna pay what you owe.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  8. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Whether the scene is problematic given today’s social problems, I’m not sure, but I think Rose’s actions in the scene make perfect sense. We do need to keep in mind that she doesn’t know everything like we do. When she comes into the story, she grieving over her sister’s death in the battle they just escaped from while carrying out her job guarding the pods from being stolen by deserters. When she meets Finn, she’s initially extremely starry-eyed (she, a relative nobody in the Resistance is meeting one of the organizations heroes) until she works out that he was trying to jump ship and lying to her about it. She gets angry over that (it’s a rude awakening that someone she thought was a selfless hero is apparently just trying to save their own skin and being disrespectful to her sister’s sacrifice).

As far as her tasing Finn, she was pretty angry and worked up. Also, Finn is a good deal bigger than she was and would have the advantage if it came to a fight. She wouldn’t’ve known that he wouldn’t put up a fight, so tasing him was the smart decision on her part. As far as her not listening right away when he tries to explain, I don’t think she believed him right away (she already thinks he’s a liar, why would she think that he’s telling the truth and not just lying more to get out of trouble) and she was still pretty worked up over being let down from her expectations and her sister’s death.

At Crait, the attack had been already called off before Finn was making his kamikaze run. I could see her decision being justified on those grounds. (I was also having trouble telling if Finn would’ve been successful or if he would’ve been shot down or vaporized before reaching the ram. If the latter, she would’ve been preventing

Also, I don’t think that her line, “That's how we're gonna win, not fighting what we hate, but saving what we love,” was meant to be a lesson, but her expressing how she felt about him. It may have been a call back to their different opinions about dealing with injustice (when Finn took the most satisfaction of breaking Canto Bight, while Rose took hers by freeing the fathier), but her feelings were the focus of that scene.

At the end of the day, I’m not sure how her decision chalks up in an ethics question, but it did seem to be a very human thing to do.

Not how I remember it.

I’d want to see the scene in context before venturing an opinion on it. (Besides, unless it gets put in the novelization, it’s not canon, anyways.)

I did like their back and forth and was really glad they subverted the “liar revealed” cliche.

I may need to see the movie again.

I don’t remember this.

Once again, not how I remember it.

CosmicDust likes this.
  9. Jazz9276

Jazz9276 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 19, 2016
    Happy to see Daisy and John vocal about being separated and other issues they’ve had. Both are extremely excited about JJ back too. Hopefully they can make things right and finish this in a way they’re happy.

MGM, Miriedis, RandomGreyJ and 10 others like this.
  10. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    @WebLurker I saw it that way too. For the "Oh of course you do," as far as I recall, Finn mentioned where the escape pods where on the Supremacy and Rose makes that comment. Finn didn't react to it from my recollection.

I don't really see the point in comparing Rose and Rey that closely. As far as the movies go, Finn sees them both as friends, so it's a little petty IMHO to frame an argument over who's better to Finn with a romantic bent to it. The movie doesn't make a comparison to them, and a deleted scene doesn't count since it's... deleted.

rorow1 likes this.
  11. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Sounds kinda sorta familiar. (I really need to see this movie again.)

Fair point. People may have preferences to the outcomes, but I don't really see it being a zero sum game. If they decide to tell the story with Finn getting together with Rose, I don't see how that would invalidate his relationship with Rey. When Han got married, it didn't change that the fact that Chewie was still an important person in his life.

Unless it gets put in the novelization. Then it would count, like how the TFA novelization canonized Unkar Plutt confronting Rey on Takodana. (However, novelizations are squishy when it comes to canon, so if the book wrote the scene in a way that it couldn't be reconciled with the movie, then it might not count, or would only count in the information presented, e.g. how Finn sees Rey, Rose feeling jealous, etc.)

12. rorow1

rorow1 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2017
    It sounded like John liked how RJ handled his character a lot more than he did in TFA. I think John and Daisy just genuinely missed each other while filming, but I don't think that should dictate the flow of the movie. I think their separation was needed for this movie so both the characters can grow and be stronger when they come together. Their bond would not get destroyed by a few days of not seeing each other. At the end of the movie it's still strong and they have both become better people that want the same thing and I think that will make them better friends in the long term.

WebLurker, CosmicDust and Yora like this.
  13. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    /r/starwarsspeculation is so obsessed with Reylo. It's so bizarre how that transformation happened.

I think Daisy and John liked working together, but Daisy also mentioned she was nervous about how fans would receive TLJ since Finn and Rey were separated. I didn't mind so much since how TFA ended, there wasn't much option but to keep them separated, but it is a little disappointing how there wasn't a solid trio moment between Rey, Finn, and Poe.

14. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I blame the lack of a time skip.

Hopefully now, we'll have a good one in between TLJ and IX.

15. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I think it's more because they used him as red herring to Rey in TFA and Boyega said he wanted to show Finn stronger after this bait and switch. I hope JJ, KK and Lucasfilm will notice how bad it was. In 2015 I wanted to Finn be the jedi but I already expect they were just using Finn to Rey be the big revelation

cut-of-space and cerealbox like this.
  16. modaubr

modaubr Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    Maybe it's public knowledge and I'm 'stealing' it from another forum (full credit : Ammianus Marcellinus), but
    if you listen to the Battle of Crait, composed by John Williams

I'm not completely sure of it myself, but it seems to be true: starting from 6:00, the music of Finn's suicide run kicks in and it seems that the last few notes (around 6:25), as he is about to die, corresponds to the end of... Rey's theme.

According to the master himself, as he closes his eyes, he thinks about Rey.

17. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Very interesting touch.

18. Brennan Marshall

Brennan Marshall Jedi Knight

May 22, 2015

Finn was sent with a new character named Rose on a mission that felt disjointed and ultimately unnecessary. They were aided by Poe, who consistently escalated a situation from 0 to 100 real quick. There was an opportunity to touch on war profiteering that could lead to understanding the conflict in a fresh way. However, the sequence of events not only felt random but were actually random. The only saving grace to me was the fact that the actors brought a lot of charisma to their roles.

Also, I appreciated Finn’s situation because there was more character growth, and it was much better than the dragging side quests he was in prior to this. The same could be said about the potential Rey/Finn relationship. This episode reeked of timidity, and as a result Finn was relegated to an unnecessary side quest most of the movie instead of any involvement with Rey.

19. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Honestly same. I'm glad they both had the chance to really voice their opinions on some of the things that they didn't agree with , or things that made them a little uncomfortable. John and Daisy have such great chemistry I'm really hoping Episode IX highlights their relationship and how much they mean to each other again. What they really need is a chance to both sit down with JJ and hopefully talk about the story so that they're both 100% happy with how things turn out. There's so much potential for what could be explored between them.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Jazz9276 and cut-of-space like this.
  20. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    It seems that Johns instagram following strongly leans FinnRey. The amount of annoyance with Johns recent post of Finn and Roses kiss is actually hilarious.

Feels good, I must admit.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Bowen likes this.
  21. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    This thread is such a bummer. I thought it was going to contain a spoiler for Episode IX that James Bond was going to come between Finn and Rey in a sweet crossover for the next episode, but NOPE. Just another disappointment. :(

:D

PS: Did I actually read "Adam Driver's pretty boy looks"? Like... you're joking, right? He's good from the neck down, I guess, but he's honestly really ugly. I LOVE Adam Driver, as an actor, he's absolutely amazing. He may be the best actor in the trilogy frankly, so I'm so happy he was cast. But he is a very unfortunate looking man.

22. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    @GauntGrandMoff To be fair, a lot of them are probably from the TFA days so they probably appreciate his chemistry with Daisy and whatnot. Remember the nonsense Daisy had to put up with on Instagram from reylos the times she posted Finnrey stuff? But at the same time would nut themselves whenever she liked or commented on reylo stuff? So I wouldn't read too much into it. People are always ready to freak out at the smallest thing. Latest example being reposting fan art you're tagged in =_=

Jazz9276 likes this.
  23. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    But back on topic, John and Daisy both want Finn and Rey back together in IX, and hopefully JJ listens to them and gives them their wish. Finn and Rey started the trilogy together and I think it's fitting for them to spend the last of it together as well.

24. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    Yeah I'm definitely in the camp that firmly believes Rey and Finns bond is deeper than friendship. I don't mean to imply that I think they're being silly, though I do admit that people can be a little extreme in expressing their disliking of the romantic pairing of Rose and Finn.

What's funny is that the artwork is a little too acurate and perfectly encapsulates Finns uhh...'confused' look in that moment.

I mean I'm sure John is aware of some of the criticisms right now and I wonder if this is him just showing support for his co worker. Him and Kelly seem to have gotten along really well over the course of filming the movie, so you know, makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

25. modaubr

modaubr Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    I'm still baffled that they don't exchange a single word in TLJ

cut-of-space likes this.