main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Char, NC [Book Club]Darth Bane: Rule of Two, Sat. Jan 19th @10:30am followed by Charlotte MiniCon

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jada, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Book: Darth Bane: Rule of Two by Drew Karpyshyn
    Date: Saturday, January 19th at 10:30am
    Place: Starbucks, 1961 East 7th Street (corner of 7th and Caswell), Charlotte, NC 28204

Synopsis
    In the New York Times bestseller Darth Bane: Path of Destruction, Drew Karpyshyn painted a gripping portrait of a young man?s journey from innocence to evil. That man was Darth Bane, a twisted genius whose iron will, fierce ambition, and strength in the dark side of the Force made him a natural leader among the Sith -- until his radical embrace of an all-but-forgotten wisdom drove him to destroy his own order . . . and create it anew from the ashes. As the last surviving Sith, Darth Bane promulgated a harsh new directive: the Rule of Two.

Two there should be; no more, no less.
    One to embody the power, the other to crave it.

Now Darth Bane is ready to put his policy into action, and he thinks he has found the key element that will make his triumph complete: a student to train in the ways of the dark side. Though she is young, Zannah possesses an instinctive link to the dark side that rivals his own. With his guidance, she will become essential in his quest to destroy the Jedi and dominate the galaxy.

But there is one who is determined to stop Darth Bane: Johun Othone, Padawan to Jedi Master Lord Hoth, who died at Bane?s hands in the last great Sith War. Though the rest of the Jedi scoff at him, Joshua?s belief that there are surviving Sith on the loose is unshakeable. As Johun continues his dogged pursuit of the man who killed his master, Zannah, faced unexpectedly with a figure from her past, begins to question her embrace of the dark side. And Darth Bane is led by Force-induced visions to a moon where he will acquire astonishing new knowledge and power -- power that will alter him in ways he could never have imagined. . . .

Previous Book Club threads:

Shadows of the Empire and Return of the Jedi
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars: A New Hope by George Lucas
    Han Solo: Rebel Dawn by A.C. Crispin
    Han Solo: The Hutt Gambit by A.C. Crispin
    Han Solo: The Paradise Snare by A.C. Crispin
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter by Micheal Reaves
    Darth Bane: Pathway to Destruction by Drew Karpyshyn
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Lucerno
    Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover
    Labyrinth of Evil discussion

Also, just so folks are aware we do use the Book Club as our monthly meeting time so we take care of any club business then.

(edits per CR request)

2. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Keela aka TR8401 sent this to me:

Charlotte Mini-Con! Now in its incredible FOURTH decade, the original
    Charlotte Mini-Con is the event that gave birth not only to Heroes
    Convention, but to Heroes Aren't Hard To Find itself!

The 2008 Charlotte Mini-Con will be held on Saturday, January 19 in the
    Palmer Building at Fireman's Hall, which is located at the corner of E. 5th and E. 7thjust a few blocks away from Heroes Aren't
    Hard To Find. Not only will you get a roomful of dealers from around the
    Southeast, but there will be loads of special guests on hands, including:

J. CHRIS CAMPBELL (Zig Zag, Wide Awake Press)
    DAVE JOHNSON (100 Bullets, Superman: Red Son)
    BUDD ROOT (Cavewoman)
    ANDY SMITH (52, World War III, Klaw)
    ROB ULLMAN (Grand Gestures, Project: Superior)
    ETHAN VAN SCIVER (Green Lantern: Rebirth, Superman/Batman)

Don't miss HeroesCon's older (but smaller) brother: the Charlotte Minicon!
    Saturday, January 19!

Admission is a suggested $3 donation to the MS Society.

Charlotte MiniCon

So, from our Yahoo Group discussion it seems several people are interested in going to this Con. We can do one of three things:

1) Meet at the Con and find a corner and have the bookclub meeting and then meander around the Con.

2) Meet at 10:30am at:

Starbucks Coffee [face_coffee] [face_hypnotized]
    1961 East 7th Street (corner of 7th and Caswell)
    Charlotte, NC 28204

and then those that want to go to the Con can go.

3) send TK-2970 down Monroe tonight to see if there is another coffee shop closer. :p

Let's nail this down soon.

Also, I've been told by a wee little birdie that the Klingon Assault Group will be there in costume. Another aspiring costumer (cough*me*cough) might be making her first appearance as a female Tusken. ;;)

3. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    OK, after our Yahoo Group discussion we have decided on 10:30 am at Starbucks. PM me or ask here if you have questions. :)

4. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Totally forgot to add this to the first post:

As we have discussed in the Book Club planning thread the period before the book club meets is a "no spoiler" rule meaning if you post spoilers they must be Highlight-To-Read. Example: This is highlight to read. After the meeting spoilers can be posted without the markup codes.

There are some really good articles that tf.n main featured on the Darth Bane books and Drew Karpyshyn:

[blockquote][link=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/f20071220/index.html]link[/link]

[b]Sith Rules: An Interview with Drew Karpyshyn[/b]
    December 20, 2007

[b][i]Masters and Apprentices[/b][/i]

[b]Rule of Two is the second novel featuring Darth Bane, the legendary Sith master who introduced the rule that subsequently defined the history of the Sith: "Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody the power, the other to crave it." Is this just a darkly twisted version of the Jedi-Padawan relationship, or is there more to it? [/b]

There is definitely a parallel between the Master-apprentice and Jedi-Padawan relationships, in that you have a mentor passing on teachings, knowledge and wisdom to a student. However, the Jedi use this relationship as a way to prepare individuals for a life of service by teaching obedience to a greater authority, whether it be a Padawan's Master, the Jedi Council, or the Force itself. In contrast, the Sith see the Master-apprentice relationship as the first step in a journey that will free the individual from all service. The ultimate purpose of the Rule of Two is to have the student surpass and replace the teacher... something the Jedi most certainly do not encourage.

[b]You've fleshed out Bane considerably since he appeared in the Dark Horse comics Jedi vs. Sith series. How has your take on Bane changed from your original conception in the course of writing these novels?[/b]

Like many who first met Bane in the comics, I saw him as a larger-than-life figure. In some ways he seemed to be the embodiment of the dark side itself; a monster who was pure evil. However, when I went to write the novels I began to wonder how such a being came into existence. Obviously he wasn't born as a monster, and as I explored and played around with his back-story, I realized that -- on many levels -- Bane could actually be a character people could identify with. He's just doing what he feels is necessary to survive, and I think he brings an interesting perspective to the morality of the whole light side--dark side argument.

[b]You've said before that you don't consider the philosophy of the dark side to be inherently evil. Yet if that's the case, why does it always lead to betrayal and treachery and murder, as it does in Rule of Two and elsewhere? Why does it always corrupt individuals, from Bane to Vader to Jacen Solo?[/b]

The dark side is a philosophy that celebrates the power of the individual, which on its own isn't necessarily bad. The problem comes when this philosophy is pushed to extremes, resulting in a lack of respect for the rights and lives of others. However, at least in Bane's era, followers of the dark side don't have any choice but to be extremist in their actions. The Jedi are fanatical about trying to wipe out the followers of the dark side, so the only way for the Sith to survive is to meet their enemies with the same level of fanaticism. If the Jedi were more moderate and tolerant of those who follow the dark side, Bane might have evolved into something very different . . . but that wouldn't necessarily make for a good story.

[color=deeppink]Jada note: highlighting because if you haven't finished or read the book these next two paragraph contain some spoilers[/color]

[b][hl=black]One of the main plot threads in Rule of Two concerns Bane's choice of an apprentice: the young girl Zannah, who develops into an intriguing character in her own right. If anything, she is more frightening than Bane! Tell us about her.[/b][/hl]

5. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    Ok, so I'm about half way thru the book. So far it's pretty good but I'm hoping it get's better because so far I don't think it's as good as the first one.

6. MrEBeast

MrEBeast Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2007
    I just finished it last night, I enjoyed it, but it could have been better at the end. :)

Aaron

7. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Yay! Another person who finished it! [face_dancing]

Can't wait to talk about it. Squee! I lub Darth Bane and I really like Drew Karpyshyn as a writer.

I will say there were a few choices that made me go :mad: but overall this is fast becoming my favorite series. (Hoping for book 3!)

Holy Sith Karp!

Drew Karpyshyn is posting here!!!! :eek:

8. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    I just read those interviews, they were pretty good. I'm further along in the book now and it is getting better. I should have it finished by tonight.

9. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    [face_frustrated]

Hopefully the weather will not be an issue for this tomorrow but PLEASE!! if there is a problem with the roads don't risk it. We'll reschedule, ok?

10. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Book club is ON!!! The weather isn't supposed to get bad until after lunchtime.

11. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Thanks to everyone who showed up! Thankfully the weather held off. [face_dancing] Silly me, the Starbucks is right next to Heroes Aren't Hard To Find. If we have another situation where we can't use Beatties Ford Rd Library that is a great 2nd place to meet . . . except there isn't that much seating.

MrEBeast it was great to meet you! :D

Thanks for coming also:

TK-2970 and Pesky Jawa
    Mr and Mrs SithMonkey
    roydh - new Commander of Dark Star Quadrant! Ka'pla [sp?]
    Dan H
    and a rare live appearance of . . . darkladypurplepencil (minus her army of penguins

It was also great to meet up with cockroach and cricket and Dave P at the minicon. Pesky Jawa bought herself some comics and I know cockroach bought a ton. :D

I'll summarize our discussion of Darth Bane later. My headache has come back to revisit me. [face_frustrated] Yes, I'm going to the doctor this week. [face_plain]

Next up - Outbound Flight!

12. TuskenFan

Jan 5, 2005
    It was great seeing everyone on such a dreary day. Here are some pictures from this afternoon.

[image=http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n290/CharlotteFanForce/Book%20Club%20Meetings/0801190006.jpg]

[image=http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n290/CharlotteFanForce/Book%20Club%20Meetings/0801190007.jpg]

[image=http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n290/CharlotteFanForce/Book%20Club%20Meetings/0801190008.jpg]

[image=http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n290/CharlotteFanForce/Book%20Club%20Meetings/0801190009.jpg]

13. eagle-eye

eagle-eye Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2008
    well, i wasn't at the book club, however it was nice to meet everyone at the con.I have got to hang out with you guys more often.

14. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    And whosa are yousa? :)

15. eagle-eye

eagle-eye Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2008
    david... but my friends call me ..... david

16. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Hmmm, would you happen to like NASCAR and Tie Fighters? Or are you the David wants a Budd Root custom drawing and has a clone?

17. eagle-eye

eagle-eye Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2008
    actually the list would be nascar, tie fighters, and girls... in no particular order.

18. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Ah-ha! I've narrowed it down then! You who lost a staring contest to my 10 year old. :p

19. eagle-eye

eagle-eye Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2008
    UNFAIR! i lost because i have adhd which is add but in hi def

20. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    [face_laugh] I just have ad . . . that's what happens when you get old. :p

Hey, book club folks, we still have more to talk about with this book!

Anyone interested in getting together this weekend to finish up the chat?

21. MrEBeast

MrEBeast Jedi Youngling

Dec 14, 2007
    I might be interested depending when and where.

Aaron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.