main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Char, NC [Book Club] Sat., 4/21 @ 11am, Darth Maul:Shadow Hunter by Micheal Reaves

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jada, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Book: Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter by Micheal Reaves

Meeting Date and Time: Saturday, April 21st @ 11:00am

Meeting Place: Beatties Ford Library

Most stores do NOT carry this book in stock so I highly recommend that you order it as soon as possible. We ordered it in the stores and aren't supposed to get it until 4/4/07. :(

As we have discussed in the Book Club planning thread the period before the book club meets is a "no spoiler" rule meaning if you post spoilers they must be Highlight-To-Read. Example: This is highlight to read. After the meeting spoilers can be posted without the markup codes.

We will probably meet for an hour to an hour and half.

Everyone is welcome but please post that you will be attending so that we know how many seats to set up.

Questions? Ask. If it is a more general book club question, please ask it in the Book Club planning thread

Previous Book Club threads:

Darth Bane: Pathway to Destruction by Drew Karpyshyn
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader by James Lucerno
    Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover
    Labyrinth of Evil discussion

Also, just so folks are aware we do use the Book Club as our monthly meeting time so we take care of any club business then.

2. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    If anyone needs a copy, I can mail mine to Jada for them to read.

-Jane

3. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Thanks Jane!

Also, the Charlotte Library system has lots of copies and it seems most of them are checked in. ;)

I always wanted to read this book and now that I've read the excerpt from the publisher I'm even more interested! =P~

For the infamous, power-hungry Sith,
    beholden to the dark side,
    the time has come to rise again . . .

After years of waiting in the shadows, Darth Sidious is taking the first step in his master plan to bring the Republic to its knees. Key to his scheme are the Neimoidians of the Trade Federation. Then one of his Neimoidian contacts disappears, and Sidious does not need his Force-honed instincts to suspect betrayal. He orders his apprentice, Darth Maul, to hunt the traitor down.

But he is too late. The secret has already passed into the hands of information broker Lorn Pavan, which places him right on the top of Darth Maul's hit list. Then, in the labyrinthine alleyways and sewers of Coruscant, capital city of the Republic, Lorn crosses paths with Darsha Assant, a Jedi Padawan on a mission to earn her Knighthood. Now the future of the Republic depends on Darsha and Lorn. But how can an untried Jedi and an ordinary man, stranger to the powerful ways of the Force, hope to triumph over one of the deadliest killers in the galaxy?

4. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    We got our copy today. [face_dancing]

The copy includes the former e-book Darth Maul: Saboteur. Anyone who reads that part will get extra credit. :-B :p

5. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Spoiler period has ended

Only TK-2970 got extra credit :p I didn't even get it :(

In his words, the e-book wasn't necessary to read before reading Shadow Hunter but it gives a lot of background into the Trade Federation getting set up in the position to absorb mining companies, etc.

We gave this book a 7.5 out of 10. We liked the story and thought the characters were excellent. The one thing that made this book difficult was pretty much knowing that by the end of the book Darsha and Lorn were going to have to die. :(

We also discussed a line in the book Jedi_528 brought up about "Once defeat was decided in the mind it became a foregone conclusion" and how that affected the fight between Maul and Darsha's master.

I posed a supposition to the group:

After reading this book it is apparent that Darth Maul was NOT a Sith Apprentice as he did not crave his Master's power and that violated the philosophy of the rule of two: Two, no more, no less. One to rule the power and the other to crave it [I'm paraphrasing that]. Maul was willing to die to save Sidious if need be. He did not hate his master as a true Sith apprentice should. Therefore, he was only a darkside force user similar to Mara Jade -- a hand of the Emperor.

There was agreement about this.

One of the things we found entertaining in this book was the author's use of out of the ordinary words. We stretched our brains!

Next up on our list is The Han Solo Trilogy: The Paradise Snare

6. andyf

andyf Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2006
    I have a question about this book. Why was Obi-Wan Kenobi in this book? It wasn't to save anybody. It was obvious who was going to die in the book. Maybe Obi-wan was there just to provide a link from this book to episode I. I liked the book, but there can not be any real suspense in the book if all of the fates of the characters in the book are already determined.

7. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    I felt the same way. I think Obi-Wan was only really there to provide a connection to The Phantom Menace. I knew that the main characters were going to be killed and I accepted that fact. The book was really to show how determined and dangerous Darth Maul was, because you don't really see that in the movie. My only complaint was that the guy, I can't remember his name right now, dies alone at the end of the book. I would have liked it if him and his droid partner were together and went down fighting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.