main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BOOK ROOMS NOW...I DID!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Amidala081499, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003

I just wanted everyone to know that I booked my room today. We will be staying at the Figueroa Hotel which is just a block and a half away from the convention center. The cost was $152 a night plus tax. I doubt that the Star Wars pricing will be much less. I found this hotel directly from the convention website. Here is the link: http://www.lacclink.com/ I looked under Downtown Guide and then Hotels and found a whole list. I went through all the Hotels on the list and the Figueroa Hotel and The Holiday Inn City Center were within walking distance. The Holiday Inn however, is uable to take reservations until Tuesday because they need to update the system for next year. When I called the Figueroa Hotel they even asked me if this booking was for Star Wars. For all of you on a budget like me...every room has a refrigerator, so you can go to the grocery store to buy food and keep it at the room, to save money for the ACTION FIGURES. Also, the hotel has free complimentary breakfast and I was told they have many restaurants within walking distance.

I have been to LA before to visit relatives and vacationing...so any questions I will be glad to answer or find someone who can answer the questions for you.

Hope this helps everyone...

I am pumped and ready to go, a little weary about GENCON though.

May the Force be with You!!![/b][/b]

2. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    From what I recall, the room rates GenCon was able to offer were a bit less than the actual going rates for the rooms. I also recall that a lot of the rooms which were booked initially were then cancelled once people got better rates elsewhere.

Assuming GenCon and/or LFL is wise, they'll do something similar to what was done last year in Indy.

3. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    I did exactly that. I had booked my room at a hotel on the list, then a few months before the convention I finally got into the Westin, so we stayed there. The rates were only $30 less the actual cost.

I booked now to make sure I had a room. This is gonna be a "BIG" event and the reservation department today said that they received in the neighborhood of about 2200 to 2500 calls today. She said that alot of people were doing price checks and making reservations. I am sure that when we get to register our lanyards and stuff that I will rebook...if the price is cheaper.

4. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    More than likely there are entire blocks of rooms already reserved for people once tix go on sale. LFL and Gen Con know better than to announce a show and not have some sort of plan already in place.

5. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
  6. yodakarma

yodakarma Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2004
    I booked as a backup. Yes, I believe there will be reserved blocks, but they tend to go quickly and I wanted to have something just in case.

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I think booking a room now is kind of worthless. You know the FanClub is going to come up with somthing like they did the last couple of times.

8. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Yeah, no reason to go nuts yet. There will be plenty of rooms for everybody--a quick check shows numerous hotels within a few blocks. :D

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    But it's part of the FUN!! the planning, the journey!

10. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Thanks for the link, but now I am worry. Why C4 is not in the convention calendar?[face_worried]

11. brokenyolk

brokenyolk Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    Just booked a room. I figure it can't hurt. At C3 I ended up past the outskirts of the Outer Rim. I want to be closer this time around.

12. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    I am glad to see alot of people are heeding my advice and booking. What alot of people do not understand is that this is going to be a "BIG" convention and if they do not want to stay on the outer rim then book closer now and later if the Fan Club has blocks...then take advantage of the blocks and discount and then cancel your reservation with the hotel. This just assures you that you will be within walking distance and that you have a room.

There are only two hotels that are across the street from the convention center, the others are blocks and blocks away. I have been to LA and this street and these are the only two closest. This convention center is huge and has levels. Only bad thing is there are no skywalks from the hotels like in Indy. So to all Lucas Lovers...this time there will be no cover from a bad storm if one pops up. The good thing is though...if he does attend, like at Indy, we will not have to wait hours in the freezing cold. I did see "THE MAN" and it was all worth it. I could not blink, I just wanted to see him in all his glory, whatta feeling.

YYYYYEEEEESSSSSS....Booking and thinking ahead just makes the journey more fun. I know I am ready to go and my son who is only 2 has been walking around the house humming the Vader theme for two days now. He is so excited, we took him when he was only 1 to C3 and he was a star. I made him a very realistic Padawan costume and people continually stopped me so they could take pictures. I would love to make him a pvc stormtrooper set, but no time to make the costume. Maybe at C5, hahahaha.

HOPE EVERYONE CAN GO....

13. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Amidala081499 I honestly don't think this convention will be as big as you think. Being all the way in california is alienating a large portion of the country from coming. But I guess it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I don't think it's worthless at all. I was unable to get a room with the room blocks and had to reserve my own anyway for C3. Plus looking at the rate differences it wasn't that much cheaper. If nothing else, its peace of mind knowing I have something planned for the con :)

15. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    I agree...also LA people are going to attend this thing and let me tell you LA people would attend a convention on "Bottled Human Gas"...hahaha. Anything that could possibly draw a crowd LAions will be there. Also, conventions in LA also draw other celebrities, not just Star Wars ones, so people in LA will know this and show up at the possiblity of seeing a George Clooney or someone on that scale. LA peoplemlove celebrities and they will come. I do believe that even with the alienation of East Coasters...like myself, it will be huge. LA is all about doing things big and expensive. LA is the place where the $600 haircut was invented. It will be big...I am willing to put money on it!!!

16. Doctor_Evil

Doctor_Evil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2002
    Please stop propogating this Myth. It has no basis in fact or reality. C4 being in ANY PART OF THE COUNTRY alienates some people, mainly those who can't or won't fly. It is just a fact.

There were thousands of people who drove to Indy, who will not be able to go to LA. But there will be just as many, if not more, who will drive to LA who could not have flown if it were anywhere else. CA is the most populated state in the union and LA is the Movie and TV capital of the world. People will come.

The hotel rates are the same as Indy. The airfare to LA is no more expensive than to ANYWHERE else that has the size of facilities needed. But of course it is more expensive the farther you have to fly. Do the research. Look it up. Just because LA may be more expensive or inconvienient for YOU, does not make it a blanket statement for the rest of the country.

I wish folks would get a little "Big Picture" focus here and stop projecting their personal feelings or situations on the rest of the country. For everyone that can't or won't go to LA, there are just as many that now can go because of the change of venue. Fans From SoCal, Arizona and all the way to Vegas (If not further) will be able to drive. Do you really think Indianapolis and vicinity have more Star Wars fans than the most populist state in the country and in the 2nd largest media market in the US? Come on now! I actually think the drive up traffic to C4 will easily be twice as much as C3, offsetting any loss of hype from a new movie or loss of attendees due to the new location.

I hope they continue to have Celebrations every 2 years and that it hops all over the country, or maybe the world.

-Doc

17. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005

=D=

Well said my friend. Couldn't have put it better myself. :)

18. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OH YES!!!

I agree. It's done, it's set - now either fish or cut bait folks, or walk away.

Me, I can't wait.....

19. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    I have to do alot of Talking before I book anything. Plus save alot too.

20. sithlard

sithlard Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2004
    Does anyone know if hotels have shuttles that drive to the Convention Center? If so, then I really don't care if the hotel is 20 mintues away, just so long as the shuttle gets there a couple hours before the Convention Center opens.

I'm a little ticked that it's in LA, since I'm from Lansing, MI and Indy was only a four-hour drive away. But that won't stop me from going to LA. I've never been out there, and I think it'd be worth it to pay extra just to come.

21. trobon22

trobon22 Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2004
    I'm from Seattle and would be flying either way. It's a little easier for mr to fly to LA, nut honestly I would fly to ANYWHERE on the continental US to do this. I'm sure there are going to be A LOT of people there to celebrate 30 years of Star Wars no matter where it is. As for the hotel rooms I know that I like to plan ahead for many reasons and I plan on doing so here.

22. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    As far as shuttles from hotels to the convention center....this is a big "NO." When I first booked my hotel I looked elsewhere because of price and asked if there were shuttles. I always got a "No" response, but there are "Cabs" response. This is why I booked very close to the convention....walking distance. Cabs are very expensive in LA so the closer you get the better. I read online that the two hotels I metioned have complimentary shuttle service to the airport, but I will be calling on Monday to confirm this.

23. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Cabs are okay at times for a short distances. Sometimes you can ask the hotel to call a cab for you.

BTW be sure about the rates. ;) you know some taxis. [face_thinking]

24. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    I have been assured there will be frequent shuttle service between the LACC and all the con hotels. One every 5 minutes or so.

The bid team was well aware of the hotel issue, and shuttle service is the norm for the LACC for all large conventions. C4 wil have the same kinds of issues that E3 does, and while there is a large amount of parking available on site you know lots of people will come in from out of town for large conventions and they too need shuttle service.

Another reason to wait for the official convention hotels to be named.

25. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    That is good to hear. Makes me fell a little better since I won't have a car for the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.