main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Census Books: What's your Preference?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SithSense, Jul 9, 2019.

?

How do you prefer the written word?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2020.
  1. - Paper

80.4%
  2. - E-Readers (Kindle, Nook, etc.)

17.9%
  3. - Audiobook

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. - Listening to the Audiobook while reading along with the Paper or E-Reader.

1.8%
  1. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Additionally: What are your summer readings?

My default preference is paper; I LOVE the smell of bookstores.
    However when it comes to summer reading on family vacations, I find my Nook to be the most useful as I can literally have a hundred books at my fingertips. Additionally, I can tap into wifi to keep up with national news.

Current summer reading:
    - finishing up 'A Storm of Swords'
    - 'His Excellency: George Washington'
    - 'Founding Rivals: Madison vs. Monroe, the Bill of Rights, and the Election that Saved a Nation'
    - 'The Lost Eleven: The Forgotten Story of Black American Soldiers Brutally Massacred in World War II'
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)][/COLOR]

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I also prefer paper books but I do have a Kindle Paperwhite. I mostly use that for older books that Amazon UK has for 99p or so. I'm not a real fan of audio books as I like to listen to music while I read in the evenings. And trying to read one book and listen to another just doesn't work. I usually have one fiction book, one 'other' (non-fiction or short stories) and one e-book on the go at the same time.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I am no luddite. But I'll have to be dragged into a non-paper book world kicking and screaming.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'd rather read paper, but e-books are much easier to transport. I don't care to listen to books; all too often my mind wanders and I can't figure out how far back I need to go to pick up where I lost track. It's so much easier to pause while reading.

Blobofat and Juliet316 like this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I used to feel that way - touch screens and I just don't get along. But I found that a stylus works just fine on the Kindle (tried it out at the local PC World before ordering the Kindle). Most of my book purchases are still paper but I do have a growing collection of Kindle titles.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I used to think I'd never get past paper books, but when I actually got a Kindle, it was wonderful. It makes it possible to hold a book with one hand. It's much easier than holding open a stubborn paperback.

Secondarily, I do love audiobooks on my commute. They go slowly, but I read just as slowly because I basically narrate like it's an audiobook when I read.

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I found a few older books that Amazon UK either only had on Kindle or where the pbs were overly expensive (mostly horror ones in the Lovecraft tradition). So those were my first downloads.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I prefer paper, but I go with e-books on my Kindle Paperwhite (LCD screens are terrible for reading) too. Usually public domain stuff.

I dislike audiobooks. I like backtracking and I like imagining my own voices and such.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    audiobooks are nice on long road trips, otherwise paper for me.

Chewgumma likes this.
  10. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Prefer paper but all new purchases are on kindle for convenience

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Paper for me. I have an audible and an e-reader, but it's way easier to read on paper.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    The kinds with speech bubbles or pop up pictures.

13. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    I prefer paper but I do my liberry books on the kindle. Audio books I can never follow - I listen to them at night so they never get finished. I particularly like the Harry Potter audio books as it sounds like a children's bedtime story.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The Harry Potter audiobooks are good, but I have to say, the Jim Dale American ones are actually better than the Stephen Fry British ones. I adore Fry, but Jim Dale is just amazing at doing over a hundred distinct voices that you grow to love and identify easily.

Fifi Kenobi likes this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm big on physical books. I actually have the Kindle app on my Smartphone (don't own a tablet), but I haven't really used it much. I have the Hoopladigital app courtesy of my library that allows me to read comics & graphic novels, so use it when I'm not home just to kill time. Funny thing is when I bought the Ahsoka novel a few years ago, I accidentally purchased the digital version off of Amazon. It didn't occur to me to cancel it, but in the end I'm not bothered by it. I probably should've just traded it for the audiobook, because Ashley Eckstein reads it herself.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I love my Kindle. It fits in my purse so I can take my whole library with me wherever I go, all my highlighted passages from all my books are in one place, and the books insta-download when they are released.

That said—any sort of reference book that relies on illustrations, I’ll order in hardcover, and the Kindle does have a disadvantage as far as it being hard to backtrack.

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The main advantage of paper books for me is that I can really inhabit them and not come out until I'm done. With the Kindle app every book I read becomes just one more scene in the vast short attention span theater of my iPhone and gets allocated the same level of attention as incoming alerts and emails and texts.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ah see I agree with Evan: no reading on LCD screens. I have my Kindle voyage, which has some light backlighting but is an eReader with its lovely imitation of paper. Easier on the eyes. And I just couldn't read a book on my phone or whatever anyway.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My Kindle is a 2011 paperwhite version with a keyboard. No LCD screen. I did have to resort to reading on my iPad on an extended weekend vacation when I forgot my Kindle, but that’s not the norm for me.

20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I still prefer paper books, I've tried reading on tablets but I just don't care for it and my eyes get tired faster.

Rylo Ken and Juliet316 like this.
  21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah that's why you need an eReader! Seriously they're so great. I still don't quite understand how they work and consume so little power. I know it's basically because they only use power to change to a new age, not to display the current one.... but still...

22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I used to swear by physical books. And then I had the two tyrant tiny toddler overloads take over my live. Leaving me with physical books that get snatched from me while read, bookmarks that get taken away, covers and pages that get ripped out, and my lap that gets climbed on should I try to read.

Now, when I have the chance, I still read the physical book. But, I also opt for audiobooks so that when I'm at the gym or something I can just listen.

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    E-reader and audiobooks, but never at the same time because I tried that once and it was awful.

Rylo Ken and DarthIntegral like this.
  24. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Listening to the Audiobook while reading along with the Paper or E-Reader.

this is a thing?

DarthIntegral likes this.
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Amazon certainly wants it to be a thing.

epic likes this.