main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX Booth Ideas for FanForce's Marketing Platform

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by ID6796, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ID6796

ID6796 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    One of the ideas that came out of the September meeting was to design a booth that could be used at different cons to introduce the Houston based Star Wars Fan Force.

This thread is just for that. If you have an idea, post it. If you see something at a fair, craft sale, con, and think it is cool. Shoot a picture and post it here.

Want to help, volunteer here.

There will be some construction meetings after we lay out the design of our booth on paper.

2. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    OK, I was very bored at work today. This is just one of many ideas running through my head.

Copy and paste or type this string in to your web browser.

www.ddabc.org/ConBooth001.doc

It has a lot of pictures so give it time to open.

Hopefully it will give you a starting point to get your creative thinking in motion.

Email me your ideas at wethedennings@hotmail.com

Or PM me, or post ideas here.

Thanks.

3. TK8171

TK8171 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2009
    Nice work John. I like it. :)

4. _erikstormtrooper_

_erikstormtrooper_ Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2006
    (Sorry for not responding sooner. Took me a while to digest all that info)

These are some great ideas. For Phase I, it seems we have everything we need to move ahead, with the exception of a 4 x 2 banner. Anybody know how much that would cost?

I think Phase I is a good start for us. We should try to use it at the next con we want to have a presence at. At the least, we should use this for ApolloCon next year.

John, I like the wording on your banner mockup, but I recommend different colors. Your mockup is a little low on contrast and might be hard to read a distance.

5. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    OK, here is a few color ideas. If you want to see a different color combination, please tell me what colors.

www.ddabc.org/FFBanner.doc

Thank you.

6. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    I went to talk with my banner dude and he giggled at my little banner.

He said, "You need bigger and badder. Throw in a star wars scene in the background. Add a princess leia and an r2d2. Get some excellent star wars fonts and make a banner. And for the size at a minimum of 3 x 5 but go as large as you can to be seen at cons."

But he did offer me what I belive to be a really good deal on an all digitial banner. $7 per square foot.

OK you artist, time to see your skills.

7. daSnarf

daSnarf Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2007
    [image=http://www.coycreative.com/swbanner.jpg]

hows that..?

8. TK8171

Feb 21, 2009
    Now we talking baby!!

9. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    OMG - that is total awesome.

Lets see some more of your ideas. And anybody else that has an idea.

If you have the idea but not the toys to draw up the banner electronically, draw it up on a piece of paper and fax it to me.

Thanks.

10. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    DaSnarf, very cool! Where's all the prequel stuff? (just kidding)

Two suggestions: there is some watermark text in front of the stormtroopers. Can you smudge that out? If not, I probably can. Also, I would suggest a different font for the text at the bottom. A Sans-serif font (such as Arial Bold, Helvetica, etc) would be a little better.

11. daSnarf

daSnarf Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2007
    Thanks guys. I didn't really run up any other ideas...this was just kinda thrown together while sitting on the couch watching TV =)

Erik, good eye on the watermarked text. I didn't really zoom in that close or view full screen, but after you mentioned it I saw it right away. I could play around with the typeface for the tag line, but with the Club Name being in (more or less) a San Serif font already, I figured on going with a serif font to add a bit of contrast. I can play around with it when I get some time and post the changes.

Dan

12. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    Banner size. Danny was given a 6'x2' banner for the Rebel Legion this last weekend. It is a good size and I recommend that be the size we consider.

He was able to hang it on the front of his table but it also could be hung on stands.

Just a suggestion.

OK, has either of you made the changes that were suggested? Watermark and the typeface for the tag line.

The banner guy said he wants the file to be in EPS format. No clue what that means but I am sure you guys do.

Thanks.

13. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    I don't have daSnarf's source file, so I can't make the changes. I think he was going to work on them.

EPS is a file format, similar to JPG or BMP. Assuming daSnarf is using Photoshop, he should be able to save it as an EPS.

A 6x2 banner is long and skinny, which is different from what daSnarf has done. It will need to be modified.

Maybe we should consider a 4x2 banner. John, do you think that would work?

John, can you ask the banner guy what resolutions would be optimal for both a 6x2 banner and a 4x2 banner?

14. daSnarf

daSnarf Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2007
    I havent had a chance to make any of the changes...life has had me busy :)

I'll see what I can whip up.

Were you needing this by a specific date? For an event?

15. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    No specific date/event but we are very busy right now in both the 501st and Rebel Legions. At events that will allow it, I will hang it up.

Eric: What ever came of our website that you were researching? Should this be put on the banner? Just a thought.

I will check with the banner company about the resolutions.

I will add a picture of the 6 x 2 banner for reference purposes only. Ok, on my website. Don't know how to on here. lol

16. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    I have purchased the domain, and it will hopefully work within a day: www.houstonfanforce.com. Once we confirm I've got it set up right, we should put it on the banner.

17. daSnarf

daSnarf Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2007
    So, we are going to go with the 6x2 dimension?

18. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    I don't think we have a decision yet. 6 x 2 does seem like an awkward size to me. I hoping John will provide his thoughts on the size.

19. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    FYI, houstonfanforce.com is up and running.

daSnarf, can you incorporate that into your design without it getting too busy?

20. daSnarf

daSnarf Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2007
    I don't see why not. Seems an easy enough add.

21. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    I was able to add the picture to the original web page (word) on the second post. Look at page 5. It has the 6 x 2 banner for reference.

I want to have a multi-purpose banner and I am trying to figure out how to make it fit table to floor without having to fold too much of it over and possibly loosing some of the effect. Probably thinking this way too far arn't I. hmmmm.

But if we always going to hang it, then 3' foot would always work.

OK ? thoughts ?

22. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    OK, we have a place to be.

Con-Jour, Jan 29-31, UH at Clear Lake. Mark your calendars now so you won't double book.

This is what is on their flyer.
    "A Literary Convention Hosted by the UHCL Gamers Guild honoring Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror.
    Discussion Panels - Media Rooms - Feature Films - Scheduled and Open Gaming - Cosplay - LARPS - Dealers Room - Masquerade Ball - Consuite - and More!"

Both the Rebel and the 501st Legions are involved. Looks like they are going to have a panel also.

We NEED to be represented at this event.

How is the banner coming? How soon can I email it to the printing company? I asked them about the resolution. He said higher resolution is always better. Again I don't know what that means but OK.

23. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    OK. But we need to decide on a size for the banner.

I have my doubts that 6 x 2 is a good size. It just seems a little wide. Would 4 x 2 or 5 x 2 be better?

24. daSnarf

daSnarf Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2007
    Just finalize a size and then I will do what I can, but didn't want to do more until it was decided.

25. TK8171

Feb 21, 2009
    I think 4 x 2 would be enough Erik. Usually a booth is not that big anyway. It is not like we will have a whole room or large area to ourselves. Haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.