main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX Booth Ideas for FanForce's Marketing Platform

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by ID6796, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ID6796

ID6796 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    Even at Apollo Con, the manned tables across from our display used 8 foot tables. 4 foot x 2 foot is small, not much bigger than a poster board or a womp rat.

Let's hold off on the size and I will bring several different sizes to the meeting this month. That way we can get a visual and make a better decision.

I will ask Danny to bring his banner and I am still holding one of the 501st banners that I can bring. And I will bring the stands for the full effect.

Think Stag's will freak if I start hauling gear in? If so, it's a parking lot party. hehehe

2. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    If anyone wishes to come see the banners and backdrop in use, I will have it up, weather permitting, this Saturday at an event.

WHAT: Church's Annual Fall Festival / Fundraiser for missions & send kids to camp.
    WHEN: November 14, starts early AM, wants costumes anywhere from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
    WHERE: Old River Terrace Methodist Church, 16102 I-10 East, Channelview, 77530 (Less than a mile East of Bltway 8 on I-10 East)

Primary focus will be photos with the kids who attend the fall festival. Open to public. Bring your familes and friends.

This is an outside event. In case of rain, it will be cancelled.

See ya there pilgram. (John Wayne swagger.)

3. _erikstormtrooper_

_erikstormtrooper_ Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2006
    John, I won't be at this month's meeting, but please remember to bring your banners, and remind Danny to bring his.

The reason I'm leaning toward a banner 4 x 2 is that your standard fold out table (at least the ones I've seen) is about 4' or 5' long. So I figure a 4x2 banner will give us a lowest common denominator that we can use just about anywhere. A 5x3 banner might also work for this, but much larger and I'm afraid we risk not being able to use it on some tables.

But some of y'all have more experience than me when it comes to cons and the tables there, so I bow to your expertise.

4. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    daSnarf,

I talked to both John and Ian on the banner sizes, and I think 6 x 2 is the size we need. Can you come up with something in that size?

Thanks!

5. daSnarf

daSnarf Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2007
    I'll see what I can knock out at the 6x2 size

6. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    daSnarf, have you had a chance to mock up another banner at 6x2?

Courtney and Christy, feel free to post your ideas. Check here for a few publicity photos. After that, doing a Google image search for a specific term (x-wing, stormtrooper, etc) usually yields good results. Let me know if you need more help finding suitable images. I have a ton on my hard drive.

Just for inspiration purposes:

Here's a small size of the poster I made last year for use at ApolloCon: http://www.erikstormtrooper.com/ff_poster_final.jpg. (The URL has been updated. We might be able to use it as is, especially for a flier)

And here's an informal logo I made for the Houston FanForce a while back: http://www.erikstormtrooper.com/fanforce.pdf

It would be nice if we can get a banner ready for Comicpalooza at the end of March.

7. DeathStarCanteen

DeathStarCanteen Jedi Youngling

Mar 1, 2010
    Hey Erik!

This is Courtney and I'm getting ready to make those mock ups for the Fan Force banner. I'll try and get them up ASAP so they'll be a little rough but you'll get the general idea.

8. deathbytrayitshallbe

deathbytrayitshallbe Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2009
    Hi,

I've tried several different banner mock-ups but this was the only one I thought might have potential? Feel free to completely shoot down, suggest tweaks, etc.!

Click here

9. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    Thanks Courtney and Christy. Unfortunately I'm behind a firewall at the moment, so I can't see your JPG. I'll try to check it out tonight when I get back to the circus (i.e., home).

10. Sith-Trooper

Sith-Trooper Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2009
    This suggestion might be a bit late since there's less than a month left until Comicpalooza. Why don't we all chip in and get one of those portable banner stands like this one: http://www.quickexhibits.com/BannerStand_campaign_extra.htm

For comparative pricing here is:

Google Shopping results
    http://www.google.com/products?q=banner+stands&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&scoring=p

Ebay Auction results
    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=banner+stand&_sacat=See-All-Categories

This way we don't worry about table size and the graphic can be easily seen 1)behind the people manning the table, 2) at eye level and 3)in a crowded room full of people.

11. ID6796

Apr 26, 2009
    Courtney & Christy: The banner looks great but to me it appears that the images were taken from 2 of the movie release posters. This might be too close to registered trademark problems so I don't know if we could get it approved by LFL.

Sith-Trooper: This is the stand I have and I have already offered it for use until we actually figure out a way to start getting some money which will be probably by collecting dues.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Lighting-Stand-with-Truss?sku=451068

Please see it can do either vertical or horizontal banners or both at the same time.

See if you think it will work for now.

Thanks.

12. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    Sorry for not responding sooner on the banner. That's a good start Christy, but it needs a little more "spice". A starfield in the middle area might be nice, and I think a bolder (maybe sci-fi) font would have more impact.

I understand John's concerns about trademark issues, but I don't think it will be a problem for us. After all, any Star Wars image we put on a poster will have a copyright or trademark issue, unless we have someone create an original illustration.

I don't believe we have to have "approval" for anything we do or produce, as long as we use common sense. I've never heard anything about that in the Chapter Reps forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.