main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Bor Gullet the mind reading octopus

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Edrio Two Tubes, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Edrio Two Tubes

Edrio Two Tubes Jedi Padawan

Dec 19, 2016
    It would've been cool to know a bit more about Bor Gullet like how it passed on whether or not Bhodi was lying or not. The scene reminded me a little bit of the Ceti Eel in Wrath of Khan.

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
  3. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    The creature itself did stand out as very well done compared to the cartoonish Rathnars in TFA but it did kind of feel disconnected for the rest of the plot as well.

I suspect the intension isn't really to give us a "result" to the scan but rather to show Saw's paranoid and extreme methods, even if the creature thinks Bhodi is telling the truth we saw Saw is still convinced that the whole thing is a plot to get him in the open.

I feel generally we could have done with a bit more build up to Saw before that point, either directly or though Jyn where with the cut we have his paranoia seems to come rather out of the blue.

4. Edrio Two Tubes

Dec 19, 2016
    Nice one thanks

Lulu Mars likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Keep in mind that the guy Cassian killed is his informant in Saw's organization - if Saw found this out, he's got good reason to be distrustful.

6. Mick RcCallum

Mick RcCallum Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 14, 2015
    He was a "bore" for sure.
    And very confusing. He is a mind reader to help Saw...we know Bodhi was not lying yet Saw kept him in his cell. Why?
    We are told he might lose his mind...so I thought maybe he was locked up until they could see that he didn't go crazy?
    I think the real-world explanation is that the reshoots and editing clunked that up...but I would like to know what the in-universe explanation is.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  7. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Best Alien Character.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  8. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I wish that scene would have ended up on the editing room floor.

Count Yubnub, Triangulum, V-2 and 7 others like this.
  9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    While the idea itself was not bad the way it was made really was one of the worst things in the film. It didn't offer anything to the plot really and in the end the scene didn't made much sense. Also CGI-tentacles was the worst effect in the film. I liked Rathars but more, they offered some funny scenes and sure monsters are part of almost every episode, but there is no need to add space octopus in every film (and to be honest it is a bit unimaginative design of space monster) also I would've rather seen those "CGI-camels" on Jedha. But one thing in the creature I liked was the way how Saw said it's name "Bor Gullet!"- that sounded quite epic.

like those 50 other scenes- this definitely was not needed I agree.

10. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    He also predicts the imperial lottery results. I actually liked it but agree it needed further build up. It did feel a bit dropped in and never mentioned again.

Triangulum, Snokers and TOASTEROVEN like this.
  11. Edrio Two Tubes

Dec 19, 2016
    Exactly this, I loved the way Saw introduced it and Bhodi's reaction.

12. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

It had a Dune vibe to it.

13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    That Bodhi is locked up afterwards seems logical to me. Saw is still paranoid and even if Bodhi has told him the truth, he might be part of a bigger plan that he doesn't know about.

14. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Saw could of course believe that Bodhi was telling the truth AND still think that it was a setup, tricking someone into delivering false intelligence they think is true is a pretty common tactic.

Again I think the issue isn't that there's no follow up with an answer to the scan but that Saw jumps from someone who looks quite kindly when we see him rescue a young Jyn into a highly paranoid man without a great deal of explanation how he got between the two.

I do think the after effects of the scan make Bodhi a more interesting character though, without his spaced out/shell shocked nature he could have become quite bland IMHO.

Yeah I did think of a guild navigator when I saw it. Generally I thought Jedga as a whole had rather a Dune line vide to it which IMHO might explain a little why Edwards was able to get a lot of the feeling of the OT back?

I think you often get a "photocopy" effect when someone is trying hard to follow a certain style because they just focus on the original work and not on the influences that went into creating it. I think Dune is a very clear influence on the OT personally, especially ANH.

V-2, PaulWrightyThen and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    This creature was something straight out of a Japanese hentai tentacle-rape scene.

I was in shock watching this scene (hentai in star wars!!!), and others in the audience were laughing at how stupid it was.

Zillobeast, Erkan12 and V-2 like this.
  16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Laughing, really?

ZodaEX likes this.
  17. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    Are we sure these people have seen Star Wars before?

ZodaEX and PaulWrightyThen like this.
  18. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Well noticed. [face_thinking]

19. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I thought this was a Wrath of Khan homage.

Edrio Two Tubes and Martoto77 like this.
  20. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I thought Bor Gullet was all right. SW could always use more non-humanoid aliens (one of the reasons I loved the infamous talking snake in TCW), and I liked the further ambiguity of just how sentient he/it was, and how alien that sentience might be. I wonder if we might see more of it in any future media involving Saw.

I see Wookieepedia has the name bor gullet as the name of the species rather than of this individual. Is that speculation, or does the novelization have more info?

21. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    This "Squidwars Tentacles" called Pure Gully was one of the few nightmares in that movie.
    This scene even topped all Jar Jar, undersea monster and Boss un-Nass-essary events of TPM
    When looking at all the great stuff that had been cut from the trailers I get the feeling that
    they did the reshoots to implement this TPM-esque brainsucking blob to do George a favor by providing the message
    "We are Disney and even we can implement a brainsucking bad blob to a multimillion dollar movie"

Maybe thats the reason George was glad after seeing R1

By the way, Boring Goof is
    Snoke after eating Plagueis

22. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    I dug it. Not in a hentai way. I just thought 'Oh wow, that's pretty gross' and winced at how 'suggestive' it was. But in a creeped out 80's pulp Cronenberg kinda way.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    I felt, ultimately, it amounted to pretty much nothing.

Saw may or may not have gotten any information out of Bhodi, but we're never told. Also, it's supposed to make you go crazy, but Bhodi was only in shock for a 2 minute scene and was fine afterward. Might have worked better had there just been implied torture...like, "we have ways of making you talk", and hearing him scream off-screen or something. Like we got with Han on Cloud City. I'm wondering if there was more planned with Bor Gullet, or if it's mental effects were originally meant to last longer for Bhodi.

V-2 likes this.
  24. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I was also a bit surprised by how unaffected Bodhi was afterwards. I guess Bor Gullet was mostly intended as a weird detail; a brief homage.

25. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Pure speculation, and not even my own, but I've seen talk that it was meant to come up again, and I think that makes sense. You've got only two people that supposedly know anything about this, one is related to the guy in charge of the whole thing, and the other was driven insane by the Bor Gullet. I wonder if thats why its the two of them that are making the case to the rebels in the first place.