main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Border Patrol--A year in the life of an obscure squadron--Updated 6/7

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Title: Border Patrol
    Author: DarthIshtar
    Timeframe: 1 year Pre-ESB
    Characters: OC's
    Summary: There are no small jobs, only small people. A squadron of people who are like the National Guard stationed in Boise in CASE there are terrorists are required to keep a log.
    Notes: Concrit is welcome, but preferred in PM. Also, if you think Lxexyja is a horrendously overspelled name...I am the supervisor of a tech support department and one of my customer's was actually named Lxexyja. Pronounced Lexy.
    1/1 22 AI
    From: Commander Mas Imevs, Commanding Officer, Blue Squadron
    To: Starfighter Command, c/o Major Aol Stak
    Attachment: Roster.adoc (12k)
    Flightlog1-1.adoc (0k)

I am pleased to report that the squadron roster has been finalized. Please find it enclosed for Command approval. We have arrived at Talor V and taken up station as ordered. Per your instructions, we will restrict our movements to the Talor system until we are formally commissioned and given operational status.

Our daily patrols are in four-hour shifts of two pilots per patrol. In the three days since the pilots began arriving, we have encountered neither enemy ships nor pirate vessels. The complete flight log is appended to this message.

We await further orders and your approval of the roster.

Attachment: Roster.adoc

Blue Squadron

Commanding Officer: Commander Mas Imevs
    Executive Officer: Lieutenant Commander Ina Rehd
    Flight Leaders: Lieutenant Jas Dewon
    Lieutenant Tarsk Sei'lya

Blue 1: Commander Mas Imevs
    Blue 2: Flight Officer Ryn Holen
    Blue 3: Flight Officer Davit Selrieen
    Blue 4: Flight Officer Nathia Komaniz
    Blue 5: Lieutenant Jas Dewon
    Blue 6: Flight Officer Ho'lian'mek Tok
    Blue 7: Lieutenant Commander Ina Rehd
    Blue 8: Flight Officer Shu Vyar
    Blue 9: Lieutenant Tarsk Sei'lya
    Blue 10: Flight Officer Lxexyja
    Blue 11: Flight Officer Edam Cort
    Blue 12: Flight Officer Alin Vos

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Flightlog1-1.adoc (0k)

Why am I hearing Captain Kirk's voice? :p

Can't wait to see how this squad works. No need to PM me, since you'll be PMing the sock LOL

3. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Oh boy, this is going to be awesome!

Lxexyja <---That is a really cool name. Can you imagine the Scrabble score?

I would love to be on the PM list if you are doing one.

Keep up the great work!

4. Darth Muis

Darth Muis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    This is going to be great! I'm always a sucker for squadfic. If you're keeping a PM list, I'd love to be on it!

5. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Ooh, sounds fascinating... can you put me on the PM list please? [face_batting]

6. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    A Darth Ishtar squad fic!

Shall we start a pot now on which pilots survive to the end?

Either way, this should prove entertaining. :)

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Alexis_Wingstar--LOL, because you're a good little geek! :) This squad will be interesting in its own way. :)

snowspeeder_gunner--I'm glad you think so. Ooh, Scrabble scores on that would rock. :) I'll do one. Thanks!

Darth Muis--Thanks, Muis! I love squadfics and have been wanting to do one about just really ordinary people who for a while.

Ubersue--Thanks, uber. :) Glad it's fascinating. Will do.

Lilith Demodae--LOL, hi, fellow Coug! You're welcome to start a pool. :) Thanks.
    1/2 22 AI
    Attachment: Flightlog1-1.adoc (0k)

The squadron made its customary patrols today. No ships entered or left the system, though our communications officer, Flight Officer Holen, intercepted an Imperial transmission. It was of a personal nature and seems to have simply been sent through the wrong channels.

Flight Officer Holen triangulated the origin of the transmission and discovered that it came from a heavy cruiser by the name of Challenger approximately ten lightyears from our current position. We are passively monitoring the transmissions on that frequency for the time being.

We still do not have approval for the unit roster or a unit designation.

Chat transcript

CoImevs has entered.
    LiCoRehd has entered.

CoImevs: Good morning.
    LiCoRehd: Good morning. I have the training exercises prepared for after breakfast.
    CoImevs: I slept quite well, thank you for asking.
    LiCoRehd: I also think it wise if we begin rotating the responsibility for the daily reports through the ranks. The pilots are fairly green and they need to learn proper documenting procedures.
    CoImevs: I think you?re right. Ask Flight Officer Lxexyja. She was a stylus-shover before this and can take the duty until we give the rest some basic guidelines.
    LiCoRehd: I will see to it. Is there anything else?
    CoImevs: Yes. Have you smiled yet today?
    LiCoRehd: Not in a week.
    CoImevs: That?s what I thought. Lighten up, will you?
    LiCoRehd: The officers are to set a good example for the new recruits.
    CoImevs: Yes, but you?re supposed to be the sympathetic XO. No one takes me seriously when I try to be one of the guys.
    LiCoRehd: I am the only ranking female officer in the squadron. Am I to be ?one of the guys??
    CoImevs: Metaphorically speaking. Try at least smirking.
    LiCoRehd: I will do my best.

8. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    Try at least smirking.

[face_laugh] That was great!

Keep up the awesome work, this is really funny so far!

9. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    pen-pusher = stylus shover - I like that!

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    *Tries to smirk* Oh, dang. Can't get it right, lol.

This looks interesting, Ish. If you have a PM list, please put me on it.

11. Darth Muis

Mar 11, 2000
    Cool update! I like the idea of using chat transcriptions, it's an interesting way of telling a story. Keep me updated!

12. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    This looks to be amusing, Ish. It's good to see you back in the game.

I liked the online exchange.

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    snowspeeder_gunner--LOL, glad you enjoyed that bit. Thanks for thinking that I'm doing awesome work. It's fun so far.

Ubersue--I was originally going to put stylus-pusher, but wanted the same alliteration. My original idea for this squadron was a bunch of bureaucrats who were dragooned to be pilots because no one else was volunteering at the time. Glad you're looking forward to more. Thanks!

RK_Striker_JK_5--Smirking's actually quite easy. I can give you lessons. Thanks for liking it and I'll put you on the list.

Darth Muis--LOL, one of my favorite stories of all time is the Not-Quite-Love-Letters by Limelight. It follows a very similar format and I didn't make the connection until after I wrote this post. This was meant to be more like my story Must Hate Ewoks. I'll definitely keep you updated. Thanks again!

brodiew--Thanks, brod. This is going to be a bit of much-needed stress relief so that I'm not writing about Kristallnacht or Nuremberg laws all the time. :) Thanks! I had fun with the online exchange.
    1/3 22 AI
    Attachment: Flightlog1-3.adoc (0k)

FlightLog1-3.doc (1 k)

Flight Log

0317 YT-1100 freighter Skifter

A freighter with a transponder signal matching that of Skifter entered the system at 0317 on bearing 1137.81. It made no discernible communications and passed by the moon of the third planet. As this was our first contact since establishing our base in this system, we did not hail the ship. It is unclear if they spotted either of the B-wings on patrol. No shots were fired. The freighter left unperturbed at 0321.

We are on heightened alert on the Commander's orders. Commander Imevs wishes to report receipt of the approval of the final roster.

Notice

You are cordially invited to a celebration of our first encounter with the enemy. Sure there won't be alcohol involved (we have to be up pretty early for patrol and I'm pretty sure our favorite XO would have our heads if we did sim runs with a hangover), but there'll be pretty women (Nathia), live entertainment (Holen's threatened to sing O Corellia to start us off right) and games (sabacc and Pin the Tail on the Gundark). We might even figure out what to call ourselves. Festivities start at 1900 in Dewon and Vyar's room. If the brass ask, we're studying proper logging techniques.

Handoutbriefing1-3.doc

Some basic rules for submitting logs:

Do not embellish the facts: Yes, we are pilots and we're expected to be proud of that, but no one wants us to invent the time we took down a whole wing of TIE fighters when we really hunted tiy birds on furlough.

Give detail: My mother used to say that a head cold on Coruscant is hemorragic fever by the time it's reported on Tatooine. Starfighter Command has enough to worry about since we are a new squadron and let's not give them a chance to use their imagination.

Do not use the log as a forum: This is not the place to advertise a missing pair of socks, how much you dislike your wingman or whether you need a date for Atunda night. It is also not a place to air your grievances against your officers. Internal conflicts should and shall be resolved internally.

Always remember to give FLAWS: My first Executive Officer gave me this acronym to rule my reports and it has helped.

Facts
    Logistics
    Aptitude
    Wants
    Signoff

Be sure to include as many facts as you can. Explain the logistics of any squadron action. Have something good to say about the aptitude of your fellow pilots. Mention any wants and needs that the squadron as a whole might have. Sign off with the proper header.

Chat Transcript

CoImevs has entered
    LiCoRehd has entered.

CoImevs: I'm impressed, Ina. You smiled twice during the briefing and even got a laugh out of most of the pilots. The handout was inspirational.
    LiCoRehd: It was irreverent, but I am aware that unit morale is a vital part of a squadron's success.
    CoImevs: Well,

14. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    Heehee! Great job!

I think I like the XO- she makes me laugh.

Keep up the great work!

15. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I like the FLAWS there, and good rundown for the squadron names, there. I'd go with 'Scum', myself, although Pink is a close second. :p Can't wait for more!

16. Darth_Bliss

Darth_Bliss Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2008
    I like the format and the story. Please PM me.

17. Darth Muis

Mar 11, 2000
    Great update. Love the handout and the possible squadnames. Keep it up!

18. Danaan

Danaan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2008
    Oh, this is great stuff!! And fun [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Being member of a virtual flying squad myself, I feel the kinship, particularly the bore of patrolling duty.I-)

Do please PM updates!

Oh, and I'm gonna hate it when this squad starts taking casualties. Just saying...

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Very Nice Ish. Look forward to more.

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    1/4 22 AI
    Attachment: Flightlog1-4.adoc (0k)

FlightLog1-4.doc (0 k)

Hi, I'm Lieutenant Dewon and you can imagine me giving you a snappy salute. I've been practicing, since the XO dressed me down for waving a hand at her on my first day and I'm not going through that again. Oh, I bet she'd have a fit about me "embellishing" the facts, which was a no-no on that spiffy handout that she made up for the briefing yesterday. Well, it's a fact that she's the only XO without a real sense of humor that I've ever had. And that's including Commander Varsch from the 234th fighter group when I was an Imp.

Well, on to the little acronym she made us memorize yesterday: FLAWS.

Facts:

No one came by to visit today. We were hoping for some action from the Skifter but the only thing we picked up on the scanners was a bird when we were coming back from patrol and our wingmen.

Logistics

We need more cold-weather gear. Apparently SFC forgot to check the weather report because we keep having to do ground-based scans during blizzards. Actually, we might have had some action today, but the scanners were mucked up during third watch, so we'll never really know. I hope. Either way, we've only been here four days and I'm only clean-shaven because it gets old breaking icicles off your 1700-shadow.

Aptitude

Did you know that Flight Officer Holen was a member of the Imperial Youth Chorus before she joined the Rebel Alliance? She sang "O Corellia" in honor of our visiting freighter last night and it made me wish I weren't Felidonian. Though I bet she could make something special of "Felidonia, we love thy waving trees." Oh, I suppose you want to know about actual piloting aptitude. We're very good at flying straight and staring at nothing. And Lieutenant Commander Rehd is surprisingly adept at Pin-the-tail-on-the-gundark.

Wants

Extra blankets! And maybe a space heater?

Signoff

Bye. Or as they say on Felidonia, "Bye!"

Edits:

Lieutenant Dewon wishes to report that there were no enemy or unaffiliated ships seen during patrol. Foul weather during the third watch impeded the patrol and we were forced to use ground-based sensors. We have arrived during the winter and require more cold-weather gear, such as thermal blankets and space heaters.

Last night, the officers permitted a party in the interests of breaking the ice and improving morale. The Executive Officer, whose discipline and appropriate severity outstrip Imperial commanders, was in attendance. The squadron is very adept at carrying out its assigned tasks.

Signing off.

*LiCoRehd has entered.
    LieuDewon has entered.*

LiCoRehd: Lieutenant, please review the changes I made to your report and take them into consideration the next time that you are required to do that duty.
    LieuDewon: Congrats, Boss Lady. You took 99% of the personality out of that thing.
    LiCoRehd: Only 99%?
    LieuDewon: You made a pun with the ice-breaker crack.
    LiCoRehd: I suppose I did. I'm sorry for setting a bad example. Good night and please advise your wingman that it is his duty to keep the log tomorrow.
    *LiCoRehd has left.*

LieuDewon: PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT!

21. snowspeeder_gunner

Apr 10, 2007
    Ahahah this was great!

Dewon cracks me up so much. He is hilarious!

Keep up the awesome work

22. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    snowy, Lilith, and Muis... you all are in big trouble for not alerting me to this hilariously awesome piece of writing! For shame! :p

And Ish! My, my... we've got a nice piece of work here! It's developing rather uniquely... definitely different than what I've seen around here in a while. I definitely like it! There's a real sense of "nothing" going on, but boredom often mothers very awesome events and activities to view from afar. [face_mischief]

Please put my name on a PM list, if you've got one. Keep me updated on this awesome fic! Great work!

Trikes

23. Darth_Bliss

Darth_Bliss Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2008
    Very entertaining in all its bareness. :) Good work.

24. Danaan

Danaan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2008
    Awesome stuff! [face_laugh] I S! the squadron for toughing it out in the boredom and coldness of winter!

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    LOL! I love Dewon, there. Dang, she left a pun? And worse than Varsch? Is that possible?[face_laugh] =D=

Can't wait for more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.