main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bothan Spynet fading away?

Discussion in 'Archive: Las Vegas, NV' started by KhartrinRhan, Apr 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KhartrinRhan

KhartrinRhan Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    It seems this Fan Force chapter is on life support. The Henderson chapter is alive, but looks like it's RPG only (at least they get together as a group). Less than a year since the EP II premier and this group has run out of gas? When was the last meeting or general get-together?

2. Protoss72000

Protoss72000 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    we meet all the time, its just that the henderson group and the vegas group are just one large group now and we all mostly post on the vegas boards

3. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Actually, I agree. It is saddening how little activity the Bothan Spynet has been having. But most of the regular members see each other at least once a week, and we get together all the time. As far as official meetings, it has been hard to work with everyone's conflicting sceduals... even yours KhatrinRhan. We do not want to fade away, but to keep ourselves going, we are going to have to pull together and do some things as a group. I'd love to see people giving suggestions for meetings, and there are a few people who post coninually, like you and Iggy, that I have never met face-to-face. I don't think we are fading away, but we are on a long hiatus.

4. Protoss72000

Dec 3, 2001
    okay maybe you didnt understand, WE ARE one big group, we just choose to post on only one board

5. Gambler

Gambler Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    Well...I am officially here now and I have to say... being from Austin...that Fan Force really has its act together. Not trying to be harsh...but thats one reason I joined the Force.net We had great communication..parties...get togethers... swap and trade collectables....all kinds of stuff.

Now lets be fair. For me....Austin was boring so I think people had alot of time to plan and go to events. Now Vegas...well.. if you never been to any meeting or events...you might not care cause your doing all kinds of other stuff.

Anyway... I think some planned events...even if its just meeting at the movies on a opening night... would be great.

I am also interested in finding the collectors that are out here.. We use to have Store Reports daily in Austin...to let other collectors know where to go...and what they will find.

Just my 2 cents worth.

6. Protoss72000

Dec 3, 2001
    you guys arent listening, both boards are one and the same we just choose to post at the other board, we go to movies together, play rpg etc. we just talk about all that on the other board!

7. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    then why have 2 boards?

8. Protoss72000

Dec 3, 2001
    dont know, we probably should just throw both groups into one and have one board

9. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    the reason we have 2 boards is because the Las Vegas board was made long ago, way before the Bothan Spynet was around. Around the time we became official, another established group asked the fanforce to allow them their own board, the Henderson, NV board, because technically Las Vegas and Henderson are two seperate cities (though they are basically in the same area). We all became friends, and some of them posted here, and some of us posted there. Anyway, we've kinda melded into one, but there is still 2 seperate forums and 2 seperate groups, but they have mutual members. get it?

10. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    ok, i get it now.

11. Gambler

Gambler Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    I get it... but if 2 groups actually exist then this is the in-active one. I can see how they meld together and everyone gets along...Great. But get rid of one of the groups. I dont see any one getting together off posts from this group. I would think the LAS VEGAS group would have more appeal..since people from other cities and states would actually know where Las Vegas is. As opposed to Henderson..no offense. Long story short... I clearly dont see the need for 2 groups. Make it one..and make it FUN. I dont hear anyone saying...Henderson is too far to meet people...nor do I hear...I dont wanna leave Henderson to meet in Vegas...so.. I think ONE group makes alot more sense... and I feel that the more recognized city should be the Main board. Again..just my 2 cents if anyone cares... But I would like to meet some people from the area and posting messages both places is a bit much. Keep it simple.

12. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Hi there,

I thought I would address your concerns as the Boss of the TwinSunsSyndicate (TSS), the Henderson Fan Force. The majority of the socializing of the TSS is through our boards. There we have games, discussions, and more. Our discussions and interests range from video games, to costume and prop creation, to TV shows we like, to fan fiction and more. Every Saturday (unless cancelled), the role-playing arm of our group meets for role-playing games. Periodically, for a special movie, we organize opening night events, such as when we all went to see the midnight showing of the Twin Towers (where I gave away a Yoda and a Count Dooku action figure). We also coordinated with Lucasfilm and the larger fan force for the IMAX opening of Attack of the Clones, where we went in costume. We had representation at the Jedi Knight II competition held at Gateway Computers. We have obtained a special discount that our members can use at a Star Wars toy store.

We have a good relationship with the Vegas Fan Force. Several of them have become friends, and we welcome them. They are welcome at what we do, and they have expressed the same to us, although to my recollection, we have yet to be able to join them for any of their events, although we have done some together.

In the future, I can tell you that the TSS is planning outings to see The Matrix and X-Men 2. These are open for anyone to go to, I will post more information on our boards. In addition, our '5 Minute Film Festival' is not dead, just merely postponed. I will post more about that as well.

The Henderson group is not simply the role-players, either. We have a larger number of members that aren't interested in the RPG. We have been a collective group since before 1998- before our inception as an 'official' fan force with the use of the boards. Those who come on Saturday nights are not our total population, there are many more, many of whom choose not to post on the boards.

We will continue to exist in this way, doing periodic activities, doing our weekly game, and primarily socializing on the boards. We have been a steady presence with gradual growth, and we will remain so. Our style may not suit everyone, but in time, maybe it will, as we continue to evolve.

Although we talk in person every week, there has been no 'official' meeting between myself and MoronDude concerning combining the FanForces. To say that we are all 'one' FanForce is inaccurate, except that we both belong to the same larger body. At the time of its inception, the Henderson group served a different group of people, and a different set of needs. This still, to a large degree, holds true, although there are several who hold a 'dual' membership.

If anyone wishes to see more out of either Fan Force, I would encourage you to do a few things:

First, remember that each chapter is still evolving, so while what you see now may not be enough for you, realize that in time, it might be.

Second, PM your city rep and tell them your concerns, and that you would love to get involved to make things better, or to help in whatever way you can. Willing people with good attitudes mean a lot to City Reps. Trust me.

Third, post on the boards. This keeps things lively, it's fun, and shows to visitors that there is activity and life. I visit other chapter's boards, and a tell tale sign of life is the activity on the boards. I can guarantee you that City Reps keep track of who posts, who lurks, who is a 'loose cannon' and who is a potential asset. Remind the other members to post, tell em you miss seeing them on the boards. I do that all the time, and I believe that it helps our boards. One of the first things I notice when I visit other chapters is how active their boards are (or are not).

Fourth, if anyone is new and want to see more happen or get involved, get to know your City Rep, and let him or her get to know you. This takes time, but it's worth it to develop trust, and to see more happen. If you're out there, and want to be involved in facilitating Fan Force stuff and seeing more happen, be

13. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    Talon_Wolfe pretty much covered everything here. The two boards are kept seperate because they are seperate cities, but they both choose to work the way they do and it's successful for them. Colorado is very similar with the Denver/Colorado Springs relationship.

While I'd like to see a bit more board activity personally, both Chapter Reps keep great groups that are very active. The Nevada Fan Forces are healthy and doing things together in the spirit of what Fan Force is about. That is what I care about more than board posting.

But a bit more posting wouldn't hurt to get visitors into the know about what things are going on team ;)

14. Bleyd

Bleyd Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2002
    Yeah, I pop in from time to time. Wish I could pop in more but that would limit myself as I belong to literally dozens of boards. I try to keep updated on stuff and keep folks updated as well with stuff we're doing. I'll be posting a message soon enough on sumthin real cool we're doing. Morondude, talon PM me or EM me when ya get the chance I have some info. you guys will be interested in.
    Our Garrison needs to get together more often as well. I'd really like to organize something where we ALL meet somewhere in the very near future. Be it someone's house or a picnic area. JM2CW

Tim Anadon TK-002
    Neon City Garrison CO

15. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.