main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Brace for re-entry to real life.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Sithman, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkoXylo

SkoXylo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    Could we have a convention that lasts, oh I don't know, forever so we don't have to go through all this reality stuff? Sure we may have complained about the lines, the store, and the weather, but wasn't it sooo much better than where we all are now?

2. JHX1129

JHX1129 Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2004
    I couldn't agree more Sithman. For four whole days I was surrounded by thousands of people who got it. Now I'm back home with my friends and family who are really supportive of my obsession but they can only take so much of my Star Wars talk before they start glazing over.
    I'm so glad I had the forethought to take the rest of this week off. (I remember how hard it was to come back to life after C2 and knew I would need the transition time.) Still, I had a great time at C3 and met some amazing people in line. Thank you everyone for making it such a fabulous experience! :)

3. Darth_Shaun

Darth_Shaun Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    Here I thought I was the only one feeling like this but it looks like I am not alone! Again, the 4 days at C3 were amazing. Surrounded by Star Wars fans who would talk to you about Star Wars or anything else in 2 seconds.
    Then you get home where nobody cares to talk Star Wars and doesn't seem to have 2 mins to spare to talk about anything.
    I even got the line last night from my best freind "there is more to life than Star Wars!"
    Now that just hurts.

4. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    "there is more to life than star wars

THERE IS??

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Sure there is. There is this amazing sense of community we have with each other as hard core fans.

Just coming to this Celebration III board is extending that feeling I had all weekend for me.

If we can keep this sort of thing up, what's to stop us?

The people who don't get it?

If anything, I feel more sorry for them than I do for myself being back amongst them. They didn't even get to experience the love fest that was Celebration III.

Some of them will never "get it".

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Does anyone else feel more 'at home' on this board then elsewhere on the JC? I find that I spend more time on this board then anywhere else since I've come back...

7. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Im re entering the world of college and work today...

Sick...

...shoot me now please.

What are the chances i'll pass a stormtrooper going to class? lol

8. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Yeah, I checked in here early on to get in on the 501st party and to figure out what else was going on after hours.

Most of my time I have spent up until now at TFN has been on the movie boards, defending Lucas from all sides.

Here it seems like everyone is on the same page, so it's more about socializing than getting into overblown arguments like on the movie boards.

9. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    DarthBreezy. . . Definitely. Even the other Star Wars fans on the JC who didn't attend C3 don't understand how we feel. I feel at home here in the C3 forum, where we all understand the awesome experience we just went through and how tough it is getting back to real life.

Yesterday I went to school to sign up for next semester's classes. Normally going to school has a certain amount of excitement to it. Even if I have to attend classes, I still enjoy looking at the good looking girls and looking forward to the prospect of meeting new people.

However, yesterday as I walked through my school's hallways, I couldn't help but notice the emptiness in everyone's expressions. Even if people laughed, it seemed a hollow, fake laugh. So many young students were merely putting on a front --putting on a personality-- that would make them look cool. They laughed because laughing was socially appropriate at that moment.

After five days at C3 where I saw unrestrained, unbridled excitement in every person's eyes, and heard many a true, hearty laugh, everything about the people in real life just seems so wrong.

I suppose most of all I miss how real and "true" people were at C3. Nobody at C3 put up any pretense of being cool, or of being better than anyone else. Nobody laughed because it was the socially acceptable thing to do at the moment; people laughed because they were actually happy. Nobody tried to be anything they were not. We were just Star Wars fans. That attitude is why I think it is so easy to make friends so quickly in line at C3.

I'm sorry; I'm rambling now. I'll just end this here.

EDIT: "Now I'm back home with my friends and family who are really supportive of my obsession but they can only take so much of my Star Wars talk before they start glazing over."

You worded it perfectly. Everyone here is "excited" to know what happened at C3, and they ask nice questions, but if you talk for more than a few minutes you can tell that they just don't care that much.

--"OMG! I saw George Lucas on Saturday by sheer luck! I didn't even line up all night and I got to see him in 7th row middle section!"

--"Oh nice. Pretty cool."

Gaaaaah. They just don't get it. :(

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm glad I'm not the only one... I was so hesitant to post that thought because I thought people might think I'm crazy. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be home and am already planning my next set of trips.. maybe to the cosutme exhibit in cali, or even the SW disney cali get together but still...

11. Darth_Shaun

Darth_Shaun Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    I agree with you Sithman. Now that I am back to work in an office, going to a gym in the evenings and just travelling on the subway - I see what you are talking about with regards to faceless expressions and emptiness. People just getting by day to day and not enjoying things. C3 was great because everyone was there to have fun and not judge everyone else. It was cool to wear a Star Wars shirt. Even cooler to wear a costume. You do that in the every day world and you are mocked or laughed at. People can be pretty close minded but not at C3.

I do spend alot of time on these boards now. Before and after C3. Just can't let go!

12. darthspino

darthspino Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Since I went to CIII with my 2 best Star Wars friends, and I came back with them, things haven't changed that much.I sort of have that atmosphere at school, like I did at CIII, with all my friends since most of them are into Star Wars.Now my friends and I are concerned about getting tix for ROTS.I still miss CIII and everyone there.That was the greatest time of my life.

*sigh* it was a week ago today that my frends and I were flying in a plane to CIII :(

Good times.....good times indeed :) Thank you all for that wonderful experience that I will cherish with me for the rest of my life.

13. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    "Now I'm back home with my friends and family who are really supportive of my obsession but they can only take so much of my Star Wars talk before they start glazing over."

You worded it perfectly. Everyone here is "excited" to know what happened at C3, and they ask nice questions, but if you talk for more than a few minutes you can tell that they just don't care that much.

Aye. I hang out in my college's radio station (I'm in the TV station, they are one program), and everyone knows how big of a fan I am, and even though they want to know how good of a time that I had this past weekend, they don't understand that it was the best weekend of my life. There are two bigger Star Wars fans here at the station, but even they don't know everything about the movies, and it's not the same talking to them as it was talking to people at the convention. I miss everyone. I miss dressing up in costume. I miss the lines everywhere!

I showed people my metal from the stormtrooper olympics and my passes. The two Star Wars fans up here were interested, but they still didn't understand how fun it was. And when they saw the Droid Hunt badge, they didn't know what it was, and I had to explain... *sigh* just isn't the same.

14. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah. My friend called me last night and before C3 I woulda been like "Yay it's Candace! She's a 'cool' person and she's talking to me!" Now I'm like "aww man I wish it had been a JCer."

It's not that I don't like my local friends, it's not that some of them aren't really nice people. But they're never really going to understand me, and I'm never really going to belong with them, just like I never have. :p

15. Lieutenant Piett

Lieutenant Piett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, Sithman et al., it's been a real bringdown. I second pacerpimp on the suggestion of a couple of days "comedown period" to ease the entry back to RL! I feel like I shifted back without a clutch . . . and this cold/cough thing isn't helping either.

What I miss most, I find, is that despite the crowds, lines, and semi-chaos, there were no a**h***** to contend with. There was a genuine, authentic and original spirit of goodwill at Cel. III. Even while navigating the hordes of people in the Exhibitors' Hall (Halls D&E), at no time did I have to contend with schnooks and morons (or worse)!

Now, back in my home City, it's harsh, dealing with all the usual schnooks and morons. Don't get me wrong-o; there's plenty of good element here. But still. They're not in Jedi robes or handmaiden costumes, and definitely not in that understanding mode of eye-contact, letting you know that indeed, they too were feeling the Force. :cool:

{*sigh*} . . . at least there is this Forum; that I actually ventured out of the one or two usual boards I visit here, seeking this, is a sign of how much I miss the aura of Cel.III. I went to a certain huge T'r'Us store in Midtown to visit their SW ROTS display to see if I could replicate some of the sensation but . . . nah, it just wasn't the same.

Ah well. You just have to press on and do your duty . . . bring on the Complete Saga, and Cel. IV!!

16. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Well, I woke up today feeling a bit better. While I still feel quite disconnected from many of my "real life" friends, the overwhelming meloncholy that has characterized the last few days is slowly fading.

I try to keep the wise counsel of Shmi in mind: "Learn to let go." Yet the only answer I have is that of young Anakin's: "I don't want things to change."

*sigh*

Thank god for my fanforce. If it wasn't for them, I would probably go nuts from the withdrawal. In fact, the only thing I am holding on to is that our huge annual fanforce BBQ is in a week. I need to interact with Star Wars fans who truly understand what it was like at C3. Nobody here in my everyday life understands.

Here's to one more day of C3 meloncholy. Let's hope it slowly gets better.

17. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    How did I overcome the feelings of leaving C3?

I attended 3 concerts in two days for my favourite musician, including his CD release party. I got front row nearly centre for all three. woo hoo! :D

In other words...I moved along. ;)

18. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003

:(

That about sums it up.
    I miss all the people. Why do all my new friends live in other states or countries?

19. KOB

KOB Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 22, 2004
    I miss all the people. Why do all my new friends live in other states or countries?

At least we're on msn messenger together! ;)

20. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    ever since leaving I am always expecting to see stormtroopers marching down my school hallways and then they arn't there its getting depressing lol.

21. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    I really think I am to far gone to come back. I went back to work on Tuesday and I have been really depress ever since. I had so much fun with our FF chapter there and just being around all things SW .Its just makes me said that I have to come back to a personal world where EVERYONE I work with 9 hrs a day thinks I'm such a looser for liking SW so much.And the real jerks always knows how to "Push my button's".
    Glad Friday is tomorrow so I can "escape" from my dismal existence.
    E-

22. Schoolgirl_Bounty

Schoolgirl_Bounty Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2005
    "ever since leaving I am always expecting to see stormtroopers marching down my school hallways and then they arn't there its getting depressing lol. "

So, you mean I've just been imagening those stormtroopers at work?

Dang, I must be sicker than I thought.

Please, let me go LARPing... I might feel better then. I just need to feel like a nerd again...

23. sithlard

sithlard Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2004
    My re-entry into real life was bitter sweet as well. So bitter in fact, that I got a speeding ticket about a half hour's drive away from Indy! That was my induction into real life after the con.

I too miss being able to have that immediate connection with others about Star Wars. I miss being able to just see a famous Star Wars actor whenever I felt like it. I miss meeting them. I miss seeing their sessions. I miss the Exhibit Hall. The Sagamore Ballroom. The 500 ballroom. The Saga Stage. I miss Indy - period.

24. OldjediMasterYoda

OldjediMasterYoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    Being inundated with Star Wars marketing is certainly helping, and I am getting much more involved with local Fanforce groups now as well. I do still miss the whole our own little universe feel to it all but at least Star Wars is everywhere right now, so we can take some solace in that. Someone mentioned Star Wars trivia in an earlier post, how sad is it I had a pic taken with Zack Jansen and had to show people in quote real life, which character he is ??

That just sucks, all of you would know what I meant dammit

25. OldjediMasterYoda

OldjediMasterYoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005

-E-

Made a great point, it sucks that all the awesome people we met all seem to be all over the whole damn country, hopefully a lot of us will al get to meet at another big event

[-o|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.