main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Brag About Your Car Here

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sarge, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]
    Spring '99, I bought a brand new SC2 Saturn 3-door coupe off the dealer's lot, my first ever new car. Great mileage, fun to drive, comfortable, good looking, decent price, and reliable. Red Saturn carried me 234,700 miles since then. That's about the distance from the Earth to the moon. In less than 6 months, it will be old enough to vote.

Then, late this summer, I hit a deer. [face_hypnotized]:eek:
    [​IMG]

She was starting to use oil, about a quart every 2000 miles, so it was time to think about letting her go. I took the hood off and pounded it with a hammer until it fit right, replaced a broken turn signal bulb for $4, and that was the last money I spent on that car. And she carried me on for about 5000 more miles until I found a replacement.

I got $100 trade in, which is fair enough... but I feel like a traitor for trading in for a newer shinier model. :( That was a great car.

2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    We have this beat-up old Chevy Avalanche that is on its last legs, but it runs.

That's . . . that's all I've got. :(

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    My car is a Transformer.

Bowen I replied for you.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Fare thee well, Red Saturn! And say hello to Blue Moon:
    [​IMG]

2017 Ford Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cylinder turbo, 310 hp 320 ft-lb torque, performance package, lightning blue with silver stripes. We're still in the awkward first date getting to know you phase, but I think I'm going to like her. There's a huge supply of aftermarket parts for Mustangs and I have lots of bolt-on mods in mind, after it's broken in. I put the vinyl stripes on the sides as soon as I got home from the dealer. The honeycomb grille is fairly awful and I've already chosen a new one. I feel so-so about the wheels; the originals will be good enough for snow tires, but I'm looking for something I like better for summer tires. This thing has lots of potential.

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've got a 2008 Nissan X-Terra that only has ~38,000 miles on it.
    I bought it when I lived in WV and I was tired of getting stuck in the snow. It's a bit of overkill in NYC. I should probably get of her, but she was my first major purchase I made on my own and I'm kinda attached.

Violent Violet Menace and Sarge like this.
  6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    How's the deer doing?

Ender Sai likes this.
  7. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003

With those LeMans and GT stripes, you need a set of wheels that harken back to the old Shelby Mustangs. And raised white letter tires!

Sarge likes this.
  8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I have a 2005 Kia Spectre that I bought used in 2011. Been a great car so far. His name is Bal. Short for Balrog.

Darth Punk and Sarge like this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    My first car was a VW GTI, bought it used back around 92. Those things handle beautifully.

Of course, mine had the steering wheel over on the driver's side where God intended it to go.

I love the looks of the old chrome "Bullitt" wheels, but they're not light. I'm looking for ways to cut down on the weight; the new Mustang is almost a thousand pounds heavier than my Saturn was. (That's about 450 kg in commie units.) A set of Advanti Svelto wheels in silver finish is my leading candidate right now. I don't need to decide until spring arrives and the snow melts in March or April.

Iron_lord and yankee8255 like this.
  12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    a car described in superlative terms as

"a perfectly adequate family car for most people, most of the time"
    "relatively responsive despite its unimpressive power figures"
    "its design is not what sells it"
    "accelerates in satisfactory fashion"

but the kicker: 8.7 inches of ground clearance with a relatively low center of gravity. It's what you need for those third-world quality Chicago streets, and it's what makes the Outback great in snow.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I drive a Lamborghini Huracan 2011 Toyota Camry LE with alloy wheels.

14. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    1998 A4 Turbo.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    2013 Toyota Prius. Gets around 48 mpg on the highway.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  16. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Tire Rack should have weights listed for the wheels they sell on their website. A lot more electronic and safety required stuff on the Mustang than your Saturn had most likely. How much does the ecoboost stang weigh?

Sarge likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've probably got a claim for the oldest car used on two continents. Bought my 1985 VW Golf as an ex-demo model from a VW/Jaguar dealer in 1985 in the US and brought it with me when I moved to the UK. It probably should have gone to automobile heaven years ago but it's still going strong. These days it's mostly used for local trips (grocery shopping, etc).

18. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    How did you handle the steering-wheel-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-car problem?

19. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I've just fitted mine with new spark plugs & coil pack. Poor old thing was misfiring on hard acceleration; hoping that will fix the problem. It's raining and the roads are too busy to test it properly (it was always fine unless trying to overtake something quickly or getting up to speed in a hurry joining a motorway) but I'll take it for a spin tomorrow and take a pic. Nothing to be proud of - 2008 Ford Focus - but it's my first car and I'm growing quite fond of it.

Sauntaero, jabberwalkie and Sarge like this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

3600 lb for the Ecoboost, 52/48 front/rear. Original wheels are about 30 lb, Sveltos are about 21. If I do all the mods I want, the car should be about 150 lb lighter, and about 51/49.

Yeah, the electronics have come a long way in the last few years. It will probably be a year before I figure out what to do with half of it.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Not a car guy by any stretch, but we've had this for about a year, and it's a pleasure to drive. It has a surprising amount of pep considering it's size (it seats 7)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Well, considering Infiniti is Nissan's premium brand, it better have pep. You've paid for that pep, my friend. :p

23. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i sold my car two years ago, cus this city i live in now is so small. now my feet are my car. they're more reliable anyway. and cheaper to run. and it's quicker to change into winter boots than winter tires. probably got more horse power too

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's only a problem if you do a lot of passing, like on a motorway. I don't so I haven't really had any problems driving. Where I get nailed is having to take tickets or push buttons on gates to get in/out of car parks. I worked at a place where you had to put your ID badge up to a sensor to get in the car park and press a button to get out. I had to run around the car to do the ID but a cheap collapsible lightsaber found in a local sale works a treat for the buttons - and it fits in the side pocket of the passenger door since the blade collapses down.

25. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    That's heavier than I thought it would be. Did you get the Ford Performance tune offered by the dealer? I think judging by the numbers you posted on did. What other mods are you planning on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk