main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Brag About Your Car Here

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sarge, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Have you seen The Hulk? Troy?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but Chopper.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Sadly, I have never seen that.

4. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Wait, what?
    Not the true honest to God manual, but the DSG? Heresy.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    What I like most about my car is that no human or animal has yet vomited in it. This is the first car like that I've ever owned.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I live in a city riddled with traffic - after owning 4 manuals before this (or, in Oversimplified English, "Sticks") I'm not doing it again.

And the DSG is the fastest shifting gearbox out there - faster than a manual or single-clutch automatic.

7. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I know that DSG/DCT/PDK's are the fastest shifting boxes out there, I just figured that an enthusiast such as yourself would have gone with a manual (standard, or in "Oversimplified English" a stick). Is VW going to ditch the manual in favor of the DSG like BMW has done with the M line? None of the M cars have a manual option anymore AFAIK.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Traffic. Sydney is full of it, so riding a clutch is not something I want to do any longer. Plus this gearbox is adaptive/smart, meaning if I drive it with gentle throttle input it will shift at 2000rpm, but if I give it more input it will shift later.

The VW DSG does have a manual mode (though if you forget to shift after a period of time it will) and I use that a lot. More than I use the sport mode, which just increases the tolerance point for shifting. The input latency is non-existent too. I either can push/pull the gear level to shift up/down or use paddles on the wheel - my preferred option.

By comparison, my brother has the Mercedes A250 Sport and my father has just sold his Mercedes CLA 250 4matic for a C43 AMG. I also just drove a C250 rental on a weekend away.

The DSG Mercedes use has a terrible latency input. VW responds instantly to my direction to shift. Mercedes is about a full 2 seconds between input to the paddles (column shifts, remember [face_plain]) and gearshift.

Now, I've not driven the C43 and I can't imagine an AMG tuned car having the same issue, so I can't comment.

In short, the DSG is actually the sweet spot between a manual and an automatic gearbox, and I wouldn't get anything but this going forward.

9. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I don't drive but If I did This would be my ride,
    [​IMG]

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Matte paint, on a road car, is idiotic. Ridiculously vulnerable to bird and bat droppings, and an expensive way to broadcast a lack of taste.

Sarge likes this.
  11. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Well, a DSG (and really any dual clutch transmission) is going to be superior to a tuned automatic that Mercedes puts out for performance driving and responsiveness. Not to mention that based on what I've read the transmission offered in the Mercedes is still just that, an automatic. I drove a 550i with the m-tech option on it with the 8 speed auto in it and while it's decent enough, it definitely doesn't respond like a DCT.
    You could have just stopped with: It's a Mopar.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No the A250 sport has a DSG. It's just something about the non-AMG Mercedes that, being Mercedes strips the rawness out of driving.

Audi and VW have the sporting legacy, as does BMW. Mercedes have an impressive sporting pedigree but their cars are about comfort first.

13. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999

Haha, yes, Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS with upgraded performance exhaust system and I made a few other special modifications myself :p Just cosmetic stuff to make it even more Transformers-like, for instance the fuel door is now a black Transformers edition instead of the standard yellow cap, the engine hood is a yellow and black cover now instead of the stock cover. It's a fun car. I still only have 6,400 miles on it after 4 years.

As much as I love my car, my dad is the car buff. He has a Ferrari 360, an Aston Martin DB7, a Mercedes AMG don't even know the model number but it's about 500 horsepower, packs a punch, and his Bentley. I keep pressuring him to pick up a Lambo or something else flashy but he's not a very flashy guy so the Ferrari is enough for him I guess.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Are these 15 year old luxury cars for benchpressing or arm curls?

Lamborghini, lol. Why people buy these I don't know. Want performance? McLaren. Want Italian passion? Ferrari. Sorted.

Diggy likes this.
  15. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    It's a comfort thing. The early SMG boxes were not really that comfortable some times when shifting in the lower gears. DCT boxes are far more comfortable, and I haven't yet read about where someone's box randomly stopped working except for reverse. Yep, the first SMG boxes by BMW were infamous for that.
    I'm well aware of Audi and VW Group's legac

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You're Cameron Frye and I claim my five pounds.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Diggy, dealing with someone for whom the pound is measurement, not currency.

Diggy likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He thinks a car that's over priced because it's associated with a terrible film is a good idea. Units of measurement are the least of his worries.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    it's right up your straza

Coruscant and Ender Sai like this.
  20. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I'd agree that the Transformers trim of the Camero was overpriced (is that trim still available in the current model?), but I found the base Camero to be fairly reasonably priced, at least around here. But, like Dodge, Chevy really skimps on the technology and phone interfacing unless you're willing to spend far more than you would on an arguably better buy from a foreign competitor, or probably even Ford (which seems to have come a long way in regards to the kind of tech packs vs cost featured in mainstream US makes).

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i know now, how trump won

Diggy likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    American cars skimping on technology... never! Next you'll tell me Americars are still using drum brakes.

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Well, Ford has been going against the current, and iirc Ford and Trump have little love lost between them. :p

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Isn't that just because Ford have a major plant in Germany, where actual engineers contemplate car design?

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I believe that Ford has a few facilities in Cologne, but they also have plants scattered liberally across the globe. I don't know how much more influential the Cologne facilities are over the other locations, though I suppose their influence varies depending on the targeted markets.

Are budget technology packages (stretching your dollar to include as many technology features possible) as much a German trend as they are a Japanese or Korean one?