main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Breaking the Habit- Exploring different eras and characters

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by obi_ew, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    For those of you who mentioned having little to no interest in exploring other eras or characters ( LE ) do you ever worry that you'll become bored with what you're comfortable with?

oe, you have seen Obi-Wan before, haven't you? :confused:

I don't really get bored writing him, but when I need to branch out a little I go for characters I'm familiar with and that I like. Well, not always. I did write that Anakin vig. :p I guess it's because I'm not a Star Wars fan as much as I'm a Ewan fan, and if Obi-Wan isn't in it, it's more difficult for me to be interested. I've only seen the OT once or twice the whole way through, so I'm not accustomed to the characters as much. If I ever get very bored writing him, I'd quit writing SW fanfic in general, I imagine.

And you're fic is beautifully written, Shaindl. I didn't even know who Mon Mothma was, so I asked my brother and started reading. :)

I guess if I wrote in OT I'd write about Han and Leia. Or in Before the Saga, I'd write Qui-Gon and Dooku. They're all connected to Obi-Wan in some way, after all.

*eyes men in white coats approaching*

Hm. I should be going now. :D

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    For those of you who mentioned having little to no interest in exploring other eras or characters ( LE ) do you ever worry that you'll become bored with what you're comfortable with?

No. :p

To put variety in my writing, I choose different genres so I might write horror or humor or romance. I think I'd get bored writing only - say humor - but the characters I love are very complex and it's fun to explore that. Besides, I've just never been hit with a plot bunny involving characters/situations outside the BTS/Saga boards.

I don't really think that it's a comfort thing but rather a story-to-tell thing.

3. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Thank you, LE - I wasn't trying to make you feel guilty or anything, just so you know. ;)

Even though like Diane I try different genres, writing the same old characters time after time does make me bored. Tell the truth, I'm bored with Obi-Wan right now. So even though Shan recently posted a PB that I would have grabbed in a second a few months ago, now I'm more "meh". But that's just me. :D

Shaindl

4. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I know that, Shaindl. ;)

I think I pretty much agree with diane. It's not really a comfort thing. With every story, I'm sure I've screwed his character up completely.

5. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    But I'll see if I can dig some non-romance Jacen stories up...

Thank you! :) If all else fails please PM me the romance ones. I'll just have to muddle through that portion. :D

Yes LE I have seen Obi-Wan and he's drop dead gorgeous. [face_batting] I'm also one of those people whose interest in the character exploded because of Ewan. I guess I also feel limited in what can be done with Obi-Wan's character in particular. There's always that canon thing hanging over your head when you write him. Like Shaindl , I'm at a point where I'm tired of him, except for in those stories not acceptable here. ;) My interest in reading and writing him has temporarily waned. :( That doesn't mean I no longer adore the character! He's still number one in my book, but right now I personally feel I've done all I can with him until a rabid bunny comes along.

* a story to tell thing*

I guess that's where we differ Diane. I've just gotten to a point with Obi where I don't know what more stories I can tell about him that I, or someone else already haven't. I guess that's why the Eu has captured my attention. I want to explore new characters to find out what makes them tick. I also feel like exploring OC's and hopefully the EU will help me become more well rounded as a writer. I hope it will make me dust off my tired old imagination and give it some exercise. :D

6. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    even though Shan recently posted a PB that I would have grabbed in a second a few months ago, now I'm more "meh"

Ouch! That hurts :) Okay, so it does sting, just a bit. I'm all for branching out and expanding horizons - unfortunately that sometimes means being led away from what originally brought you into the fandom in the first place.

I'm with LE all the way pretty much. If Obi isn't in it, mentioned somewhere in it, or has the propensity to affect the characters or the fic in general without actually being in it - then I'm not usually interested. Small minded of me? No, I just know what I like.

I love both o_e's and Shaindl's writing (a lot) but that alone was not enough for me to delve into BYTS or into the OC realm - as much as I like Eitan :) I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

I can't even imagine becoming bored when it comes writing JA/Saga. There are so many endless possibilities - as with any genre you may find yourself drawn to I guess. Everyone is different. I am striclty an SW/Obi fanfic girl - that is my passion/obsession. With some, it can and does change. My good friend Arldetta, or currently Ari-Kun has gotten quite involved in Anime - and a very much missed Cas (Cascadia) has moved on completely from the SW fandom to heaven knows where.

I will stay where I am for now - and if my interest ever does wane, like LE it will more than likely mean leaving the fandom myself. That's just me though. I do believe that any writer should follow their muse - wherever it takes them.

Great topic o_e! :D I haven't had this much to say in a long time. And I also have to second something Shaindl said in an earlier post - 'Write it - and they will come." :D If your writing is good - you will always have readers. Yours is good :) Let your muse take you where it may.

--shan

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    OE I guess that's where we differ Diane. I've just gotten to a point with Obi where I don't know what more stories I can tell about him that I, or someone else already haven't.

I don't only write Obi-Wan stories (I'm not saying that you do, OE - don't get me wrong here!!!). I write Qui-Gon stories, Anakin stories and even Owen/Beru and R2/3PO stories. Plus I'd love to do some Luke stories if the plot bunnies would just hit me with one. I do stay within the BTS/Saga boards but I find so many stories left to tell that I can't see me going out of those boards any time soon.

And, frankly, in the BYTS board, there are soooo many romances that it's pretty much turned me off to it - I just don't bother looking because it's so difficult. That's one of the reasons I really like the awards. I can find stories on that board that someone likes enough to nominate, I can get a flavor of the writer's style and a feel for whether I will like the plot and characters. A great resource. Same with the newsletter. Another great resource.

But I get the same question asked of me outside these boards. Why don't you write non-Star Wars? Why don't you try and make money at it instead of wasting your time? What's so great about SW that you can't seem to write anything else?
    In a way, it's the same question. I've known other writers who have moved on to other things, other universes or who write for money but I'm not one of them....

I applaud your thoughts about moving into Jacen territory. Let me know when you do since I like your stories no matter who is in them!

8. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm sorry Shan - I didn't explain myself well. All I meant was that Obi-Wan doesn't turn me on the same way he used to (and do take that however you want folks :p) so things don't grab me the same. In the right writer's hands, I would read that in a second though. Which is why I think Diane should take it (knowing she never will, but I can try, can't I? :D).

Shaindl

9. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Shaindl - Don't be silly :) I knew what you meant. I didn't mean to come across all wounded either. I just find it sad when certian writers feel the need to move on. I just love your style and what you do with Obi and Garen's characters. It just kind of sucks to know that they don't do it for you anymore. It's purely selfish of me i know. I love to read the way you portray them, and now you're writing that way about someone else.......I feel so betrayed :D [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Kidding!

Seriously, no hard feelings. Any writer must write as the muse leads. And besides, you may just miss Obi after a little time away from him. Sorry if I sounded all offended and all. As much as i'd love you to tackle any bunny I throw out there - I myself know what it is like to be called to a certain/specific idea.

Now, who am I waiting on for the next post of "Pushing?" Do I bug you - or o_e? :D

--shan

10. Shaindl

Jun 18, 2002
    Ugh. You bug me. Next post is mine - due to my own idiotic insistence, right, OE? :p

I'm glad you weren't hurt by what or how I made my comments. I'm not saying I wouldn't write that again - just right now I have to explore different ideas. :)

Cheers,

Shaindl

11. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Okay, even I need a break from Obi-Wan every now and then. :eek: Which is maybe why I started writing characters who don't really like him. [face_laugh] I guess it's helpful for me in terms of how I see Obi-Wan, because you can respect a person's morals and ideas, but you can at the same time be completely annoyed by their personality.

A lot of people have mentioned how they are looking for Beyond stories that are non-romance, or Saga/BFS stories that are non-Obi-Wan, or whatever. You know what I'm looking for? A strictly Xan-centric story. No Obi-Wan, no Qui-Gon, no Sith, just the Xanman kickin' it on Telos. :D It's kind of interesting how there aren't a lot of stories like that, or maybe I haven't been looking hard enough. I wonder if that's because authors tend to define him through his relationships with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon?

And after watching the OT numerous times, I think if I had to branch out, I'd go for writing Luke. He really is so adorable in the OT. [face_love] I know the EU pretty well, so writing in the Beyond board wouldn't be too bad, but writing OT Luke - Leia and Han are easy enough to do, but Luke's harder. You know, that whole challenge of having him be earnest and naive without making him too whiny, and later on mature enough without having him come off as too Jedi Master-ish.

12. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    (I'm not saying that you do, OE - don't get me wrong here!!!)

Well let's be honest here. If you look at my bio all but the newest fic are Obi fics. :p Maybe I just wrote too many in too short of a time and burned myself out. ;) I can see your point Diane. You're interested in exploring other characters within the same era, where as for me only Obi and Xan interest me as far as Before and Saga boards goes. I may not ever get the nerve up to even attempt a Jacen fic, but for right now he and my OC's are what get me excited about writing. I think that's important, at least for me anyway.

Nice to see you Shan. :) I don't fault anyone for being focused solely on one character. Until very recently I was exactly the same way. If it wasn't Obi I didn't want anything to do with it. For me though I think that attitude was beginning to have an adverse affect on my writing and my enjoyment in it. I was stuck in a rut and screaming for help. :D I do find it rather sad that talented writers such as you and LE would leave the fandom rather than take a chance on at least exploring other characters or eras. It would be a huge loss. :(

Jadewan I'm so disappointed in you! Luke? [face_plain] I do love your idea for an all Xan fic. ;)

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Shaindl Which is why I think Diane should take it (knowing she never will, but I can try, can't I?). What am I taking??? Besides medication for all this craziness. Oh, the PB... you're right. I'm not but all this talk has given me yet another PB - damn. I don't have time for this!

Yes, Shaindl I'm waiting for the next 'Pushing' post, too!

Jade You, too. A Luke fic has just hit me and I'm fighting it with everything I can. I just don't have time for this...argghhh.

OE Perhaps you should branch out. If you're burnt on Obi, write someone/something else. You could write..Qui-Gon. Diane watches as OE screams and runs for cover...LOL. :D I'm joking, of course, but you should do what your muse wants.

14. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    I think there must be Luke plot bunnies going around because I got bitten by one while watching ESB the other day.

Hehe, am I the only ne around here who usually writes Beyond?

:Targeter:

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Targeter, go for the Luke! LOL. No, I think there are lots of BYTS writers around but I guess with the larger universe of NJO, a lot aren't thinking about other sagas? Maybe... I might be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. Nor the last.

16. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I definitely read Beyond when it comes to novels and such. Love those Rogues. :D Writing, I feel like even though I have a whole bunch of the novels, I still wouldn't have a good grasp of the situation at the time. Like, I've read Starfighters of Adumar over and over, but I can't remember half of what was described. [face_blush] And the NJO, I don't remember anything beyond basic plot points - who died, who was born, who hooked up, and more or less where all that happened. I guess if I did write something during that era, I'd try to pick a moment that didn't have to be time-specific, i.e. maybe Jaina and Jag catching a bit of rest together, or Jacen off pondering something, etc.

Maybe the reason it's so easy to write Before and Saga - especially Before - is that even with the comics, there's still a lot of uncharted territory, so to speak. There are gaps and holes on the timeline that can easily be filled with stories. But with Beyond, it feels like there's already so much that's already happened in the novels, that I would have to make sure whatever I write fits within those, unless I am deliberately writing AU.

Or, like I said before, I could cheat and just not describe what's going on outside of the moment the characters are having. :p

And OE, come on, Luke really is a sweet guy! When he says, "I am a Jedi, like my father before me," it's just such a tear-inducer... :(

17. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    Hehe, I meant the only activly talking Beyond person, not just reading.

And I think I may try to write it... see if I can get my thoughts in order first, lol.

18. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    That's not even funny Diane. [face_plain] :p

or Jacen off pondering something,

I seem to remember feeding you a bunny that was Jacen related Jadewan. [face_thinking]

Targeter I'm afaid you are the only Beyond person actively discussing. ;) Everyone else must be afraid of us. :D

19. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    Everyone else must be afraid of us.

Nothing out of the ordinary, really. :D

I just started a one hundred percent non Obi-Wan vig today with a character I discovered on vacation. If you never see me again, it's your fault, o_e. [face_laugh]

Oh and Shaindl, too. You guys can share the blame. ;)

20. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I love the Starfighters of Adumar. Only SW fic with really good costumes in it... :D And Wedge gets to kiss Iella and she tells him off. And Wes and Hobbie argue at lot. With Xwings fighting. I've read it maybe a dozen times. Aaron Allston really liked that one,too. He likes to write humor in his novels....

21. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I just started a one hundred percent non Obi-Wan vig today with a character I discovered on vacation. :eek:

Well you went to Disneyland on vacation right? Mickey Mouse? :p Seriously. Anybody we know? And I'm proud of you! =D=

22. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    Targeter I'm afaid you are the only Beyond person actively discussing. Everyone else must be afraid of us.

Nah, I'm just the only person who's crazy enough to be here from Beyond. :p Just kidding, you guys. ;)

Starfighters of Adumar.... I seriously love that book... [face_love] It's the only book that has more sticky tabs in it for good quotes than Shatterpoint...

Hmmm... I'm so tempted to challenge one of you Before gang to write a Beyond romance....

23. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    I'm so tempted to challenge one of you Before gang to write a Beyond romance....

I couldn't even bring myself to join in on the Obi romance challenge and you want me to dive into Beyond? [face_thinking] Baby steps remember. ;) Hopefully I get my NJO books tomorrow so I can veg out on vacation.

24. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    LoL, yeah, baby steps...

*sees Diane's post* Oh, okay... how about a Qui-Gon romance then? :p

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Targeter, you are soooo asking for it. Qui-Gon romance for OE, indeed. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.