main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Brothers to The End: Gears 3 discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Vassago, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    [I went back 7 pages and didn't see any official talk threads]

[image=http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/Content/Images/AgeGate/age-gate-bg.jpg]

The epic finale to Epic's Gears of War series comes out in five days. The reviews are beginning to come in with IGN delivering a solid 9.0. I was already excited for the game and it's Horde 2.0, but now I'm extremely excited.

I've been a fan of the series since it's debut in 2006, so I didn't need to wait for reviews to pre-order the Epic Edition and Retro-Lancer replica (yeah I did all that).

I'll be posting anymore reviews I come across (and encourage others to do the same), as well as any other worthwhile news. After the games release, this will (obviously) be the place for discussion and inquiries.

2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I'm putting it out there right now that I don't give a rat's ass about Gears.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I can't say this franchise grew on me like Halo did. I played the first two parts and convinced myself that I'd never buy the third because, at its, it's all about the crappy multiplayer I don't give a hoot about first and the "story" (if you can find it) dead last. If I'm gonna play the campaign, I'll only rent it if I can. But right now it's simply not a priority; there a bigger and better games coming waiting for my scarce $$.

4. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Agreed, but the next big game [for me] is at least a month out (see: Batman: Arkham City) so this will hold me over. Especially since I've through Deus Ex two full times and nothing else out there right now seems to have the hold-over factor.

To be clear, though, I'm not buying this just to hold me over; I thoroughly enjoy Gears.

5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, Arkham City is the one game I'm waiting for also. But I'd rather keep those $70 in my pocket right now because I know I will regret spending that much on this game I'm not that excited about. And like its predecessors, I foresee its price will lower considerably within a year's time.

6. susanexpress1

susanexpress1 Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2011
    wow, it seems so wonderful to me. I like what you post in your thread.

Edit.

7. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Never owned a Gears game before, though I had a lot of fun with my friends in co-op and multiplayer in the first game, and to a smaller extent, the second. I did always promise them I'd buy this one though, and though I lost motivation and originally planned not to, I've gotten excited about this again. Horde 2.0 looks great, and Gears multiplayer is really solid. Can't wait to finish this trilogy.

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    EU junkies round these parts may be interested in GOW3 simply because Karen Traviss was the script writer for 3, and she seems to be pretty proud of her work if her webpage is anything to go by.

I myself love Gears simply for the co-op campaign, and have played my way through the first two on the hardest difficulty with my brother, and we both can't wait to finish the trilogy. I intend to pick this up on launch next Friday if I can. I honestly have never understood the popularity of Gears bashing, but meh. I like the series. :p

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    So I'm thinking of getting GoW 1 and 2, and I have a few questions. I'm not having much luck finding copies of GoW, does anyone know a good place to get it from? I'm tempted to pick up it second hand but I don't know if it has a code like Mass Effect does that can only be used once. Same goes with GoW2. I know the GotY edition has a code for the DLC, but is there any difference between the GotY edition and the Classics edition?

10. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Edit: should probably have said that I live in the UK.

11. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004

Amazon is always good if you want cheap new games. And the free delivery is always great if you dont mind waiting a few days.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gears-War-Classics-Xbox-360/dp/B0017KOSKA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316444656&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gears-War-Game-Year-Xbox/dp/B002MXX2IA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1316444769&sr=8-2

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Cool, ta, will definitely get GoW1 from there. I'm not sure I want to spend £30 on GoW2 though as I still don't know what the difference between the various editions is, which is confusing a little.

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Gears of War Triple Pack. I think this is what you're looking for.

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Would be nice if they actually shipped to the UK! I really frikkin hate when that happens!! :mad:

15. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Waiting anxiously for my Gears of War 3 to arrive...:-B

16. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Seeing the reviews and hearing all the great word of mouth this game is getting makes me curious. My friend's been a huge Gears fan since day one and said Gears 3 has a video recap of the first two games, so I'll probably borrow his copy once he gets hooked on Battlefield 3 in a month.

17. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I got home and spent a good couple hours playing it. I'm not trying to rush the campaign so I only got to part 3 of Chapter One. So far, I really enjoy it. The graphical enhancements are very obvious from the get-go. One thing is for sure; this game is very nice to look at. The textures are well done, the shadows and lighting are top-notch and it's just fun to look at while you play. The tweaks they have made the game shine through, as well, although the game remains a cover-based, run and gun shooter.

The voice acting is decent and the music is solid. The set pieces so far have been really nice. I like the fact that I'm not playing as strictly Marcus, but we are getting different angles with "one hour earlier" type cuts. The story, so far, seems rather convoluted. If you haven't played Gears 1 & 2 they have a "Last time on Gears of War..." type montage to catch you up; I recommend even seasoned COGs take a look at this, as there's some useful info on the new enemy. As it stands, if you don't watch that, you just get dumped in the middle of the ocean with a new enemy and are left thinking "Uh what?"

I haven't gotten to Horde or "Beast" mode yet, but I am very much looking forward to doing. I am also looking forward to actually getting into the MP component of the game; for the last two I have sat out all types of Death Matches and everything else.

The thing I love about Gears is how they reward a player for being loyal. Upon starting the game I was given all kinds of MP stuff for having achievements in the past 2 games, which made me feel right at home, already.

Very much enjoying the game so far. It wouldn't be fair to give it a rating based on a few hours of playing so I'll hold off on that, for now. Bottom line: If you're a fan of the series, there's no reason you won't love the heck out of Gears 3.

18. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2011
    its a good game i like it

19. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    It doesn't feel as grandiose as GOW2, which I think is probably the strongest in the series. Though its campaign takes part over a greater variety of locales and is much longer, it feels like it's missing something compared to the second game. Despite that, it's still much better than GOW1 and is a good game in its own right. The action set pieces are brilliant in scope and the three-way battles between the COG, Locust and Lambent are well staged.

The weapons are still a bit lame, with the Lancer and Hammerburst still the best weapons in the game by a country mile. I did take to using the Torque Bow a bit towards the end to deal with Boomers and a new enemy called Armoured Kantus' which are immune to all damage except for explosives.

The game certainly hits more emotional notes than the previous installments with the death of Dom halfway through and Adam Fenix right at the very end.

However, I was disappointed to get no real answers as to why Myrrah looks human or how Adam Fenix found out about the Locust before E-Day. It made it rather unfulfilling really.

20. The_Jedihunter

The_Jedihunter Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2009
    Best campaign of the series yet! Horde 2.0 and Beast mode are so much fun to play. The multiplayer is definitely the most balanced and is the most enjoyable by far.

21. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2011
    Want some fun on beast mode use the wrench it's pretty fun using him at later waves if you know how

22. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So it's boring, stale, and uneventful?

Anyway, I still haven't finished 2. The first game was a lot of fun on coop, but I haven't scored the same experience with the second. Doubt I'll invest in the third.

I might be interested in Halo 4, though, if they make it similar to Halo 2 (which was freaking awesome, IMO) and not like the boring first or third Halos.

23. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    We have the complete opposite taste in games it seems [face_laugh]. Couldn't stand Halo 2 and GOW2 is easily the best of the series IMO.

24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
  25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    "Boring first and third Halos." I swear, I could slap you upside the head for that.:p