main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel Into the Hellmouths Of The World

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PrincessKenobi , Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SarlaccsDinnerParty

SarlaccsDinnerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2006
    Always liked the buffy universe and I picked up the first season of Buffy a week ago. LONG time since I have seen the show and I must say that it was alot of fun even though some eps were kind of stupid he he (internet deamon[face_not_talking] ). Was a kid when these first eps aired. I remeber the angel going bad story and the last eps I saw Was the Adam the cyborg stuff.

The show looks promising but there were some downers[face_plain]

1-6

Welcome to the hellmouth 5
    The harvest 5-
    The witch 3+
    Teachers pet 2+
    Never kill a boy on first date 4
    The pack 4+
    Angel 6-
    I robot... You Jane 2
    The puppet show 3
    Nightmares 5-
    Out of mind out of sight 4
    Prophecy girl 6-

And whats up with people still living in Sunnydale like nothing have ever happened? The place should be crawling with FBI and SWAT teams!!!! A theacher was eaten for crying out loud LOL.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/Principal_Snyder.jpg]
    "In case you haven't noticed, the police in this town are deeply stupid."

Apparently, there's some sort of collective denial in Sunnydale that remains until the end of the final season.

I've been re-watching old Angel episodes on TNT, and the 1st season was overall pretty good. I stand by my assessment that it included some very lame episodes, but there were more good than bad. For example, the Wesley/Angel dance-off in She was worth the entire episode [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh] =D=

OTOH, season 4 was Just. All. Over. The. Place. And I never did catch the final season, which is where they're at right now. I'll see how it goes...

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The people were quick to think what they wanted to. Either gangs on PCP or a gas leak or in the matter of the graduation day 1999, they were willing to believe that the water had been drugged hours earlier and thus people were all seeing a hallucination, as a result of that. However, people did really know what was going on, but would not risk bringing in the FBI. Mostly because the FBI would laugh and not take them seriously. Besides, there are those in the government that knew of Sunnydale and all the world's secrets. It wasn't just the Initiative either.

If you recall in "The Prom", "Graduation Day", "Conversations With Dead People" and a few other episodes, people in Sunnydale did talk to each other. They knew that Buffy was somehow responsible for things not getting so far out of hand. That there were weird things going on, but she somehow managed to keep it in check.

There's also a theory that the Hellmouth exuded some type of magic that kept people from admitting the truth, but they knew deep down it wasn't quite normal. By "Dirty Girls", "Empty Places" and "Touched", people were starting to become more aware and thus were getting out of dodge.

4. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    That's part of the joke. Buffy, among other things, is also a satire of many horror cliches, one of them that no one in the small town realizes that anything is going on.

5. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I like to think that the higher ups in Goverment knew what was going on. But ignored it because they thought hey, there's a watcher in place why bother and we have that top secret govt' op in the College. So we got our bases covered.

But that's just one girls opinion.

~PK~

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Except as Riley and Maggie said, they didn't believe that the Slayer was real. They thought it was a myth. So they didn't know about the Watchers either. Not until Buffy confirmed it. The government only believed after "Hush", which we see in greater detail throughout the rest of the season and into season eight.

7. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    And prior to season 4, the mayor covered up anything "unnatural" that happened in Sunnydale.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    So did his successor only he wasn't a hundred year old man using magick to keep himself alive, so he could become a giant snake demon.

9. SarlaccsDinnerParty

Oct 11, 2006
    Just finished the 2nd season and WOW was it better than the first. It's still a bit silly but way darker and more scary than the first season. Spike was the highlight of the season LOL he is so funny[face_laugh] Anyway, Im gonna get the 3rd season pretty soon.

The question I raised erarlier about the police got more or less answered in this season.

I have a realy stupid question but I feel I should ask anyway[face_plain] Is Buffy considered to be a girls show? My sister said so and not that I realy care but still..................:confused:

10. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    I hope not. I'd hate to think I wasted over $280 to get the Chosen Collection...

11. lordhaze

lordhaze Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2006
    Hi guys I love buffy and Angel .Got a question for you guys , bit of a wierd one but here goes.Who do you think would win a battle between Angel vs Spock ?

12. SarlaccsDinnerParty

Oct 11, 2006
    Probably Angel[face_laugh] Gonna call some stores and hear if the 3rd season is in shelves:) This reminded me about the Buffy game my brother have for XBOX wich Il play through one of these days.

Whats considered to be the best season? Just want to know if the best is over or not.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Probably Angel, since he is a better phyiscal fighter than Spock, who mainly goes for the Vulcan neck pinch if he doesn't have a phaser to stun someone with.

Season three is considered the best by many fans, followed closely by season two and five.

Buffy isn't a girl's show. It does put an emphasis on what it is like to be a girl growing up in high school, going to college and dealing with the world. But it does appeal to males and not just because of the female cast. The male characters also have an appeal. We have Xander, Jonathan, Andrew and Warren for their geekness factor. And Oz as the cool as ice member. Angel and Spike are more than just eye candy, as they add a lot to the series as it progresses. The overall themes of Buffy translate well to both sexes, which helped its popularity. Issues of homosexuality which crop up on the show, work for either male or females viewers. Issues of acceptence, not just for sexuality but in all walks of life. Issues of addiction and personal loss. There's a whole gamuet (sp).

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I would say season 2 is the best overall, while season 3 might be better episode for episode.

15. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Angel would win but that's just my thoughts on it.

As for Best Season of Buffy, it really depends on what kind of things you like. For me it's a tie between Season 3 and Season 5. Season 4 is the least best season. But that's personel thoughts. But Season 4 did bring us Hush and one of my more faveorite Halloween episodes.

~PK~

16. SarlaccsDinnerParty

Oct 11, 2006
    Got many points there sinister. I like the show either way he he. There are so many creatures that are used as metaphors for different high school subjects such as reptile boy, werewolfs, steroid fish men[face_laugh] As for best season? I was just wondering and probably will buy them all.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You need Angel as well as many plots carry over between the two. And then come back for the Buffy comic by Whedon and others.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Theoretical Argument:

Would Cordy have taken the deal offered at the end of Season 4? Why or why not?

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Based on what we see of her reaction, I'd say no. Even though she understood the reason, she still wouldn't approve of what Angel decided.

BTW, Joss Whedon has confirmed that "Angel: After The Fall" will use elements of his planned sixth season. Check out my thread in the book and comic forum, for the full interviews from Newsarama.

20. SarlaccsDinnerParty

Oct 11, 2006
    Seen the 3rd season now. Im realy loving this show now and to my suprise there was not one weak episode in this season. More violence and gore than the last two. The mayor was a realy cool bad guy and seing Spike in that funny episode was all great.

The only downside with the seasons I have seen so far is that I have seen more episodes on T.V than I thought I did. I knew angel was a vamp, I knew that he would turn bad and knew he would leave[face_plain] So I remembered alot of eps from this season and season4 so plots are spoild for me.

Anyway Im gonna get the 4th today and still looking forward to some fun as hell entertainment[face_dancing]

21. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    There are only about five episodes of season 4 that I think are up to the standard of seasons 2 & 3.:(

22. SarlaccsDinnerParty

Oct 11, 2006
    That bad huh[face_worried] It's highly recomended on dvdtalk and I have seen some eps I think and they were fun as far as I remember. Season4 is the one with Adam the cyborg right?

23. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Well, it's a matter of taste, obviously. A lot of us who loved BTVS from its first season felt the quality of writing dropped after season three. There is definately a change in style and direction after s3, but there are fans who think that's when it started getting good. So who knows what camp you'll fit into?

I liked The Freshman, Living Conditions, Hush, A New Man, and Who Are You. Restless is a weird end of a season episode, but it's good.

Edit: Yes, s4 is the one with Adam.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think there are more than that. "The Harsh Light Of Day", "The Yoko Factor" and "Restless" to name a few. You should also pick up Angel season one to see the rest of the stories that begin in season four of Buffy, as well as see some good episodes that don't feature a crossover.

25. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Angel season 1 is a little patchy, but it does have some great episodes. Five By Five has the best fight in the series history, imo. Very good episode (as is its second part, Sanctuary).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.