main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Building a double-bladed lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by krowbar, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krowbar

krowbar Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2006
    I want to build a double-bladed saber for a fan film. I'm on a budget, so I can't really order any off the internet. I've seen a bunch of on-line tutorials for building lightsabers with parts from Lowes or Home Depot, but they only cover standard sabers. Does anyone know a tutorial that teaches how to make double-sided blades? It doesn't necessarily have to seperate into two single blades, but it does need to hold two blades that can be rotoscoped later. I'll probably be either using dowels or PVC. Thanks a lot!

2. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    There should be a double-bladed saber on The Big Yellow box site.
    You can find the link on www.ultrasabers.com, under their links page, if memory serves.

3. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    Big Yellow Box is a great lightsaber site, I've been there a couple of times.

4. krowbar

krowbar Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2006
    This seems like a pretty cool site, but it only has one double-bladed design. Any others?

5. Ti-el_Terall

Ti-el_Terall Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2006
    when they recomended BYB they just meant like as guidlines. It has all the basics that you will need to actually build one. If you have a idea allready laid out you may just want to browse a local hardware store to see what they have. As long as you have adremmel (or not) and your own two hands you can build whatever your heart desires!(Except for a real lightsaber. Technology hasnt progressed that far yet.)

6. James3

James3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2006
    I used to build PVC sabers and staffs and it wasn't that hard and VERY cheap. The trick to make them look good is paint and a few addons to give it the look you want. I used some leds mounted, different screws and of course all the classic hardware stuff. The other nice thing about the PVC is that it is easy to cut to get interesting shapes for emitters and such as well as you can put 1 led (not lux) in the hilt with a aa battery drill or shape some holes and then you have a "crystal" chamber. Just remember to give a light sanding to the PVC so the paint will take and they come out pretty nice. I like silver, copper, bronze, and flat and gloss black but that's just a start.

Another saber staff that I did was with parts from Home Depot. I used two standard 12" sink tubes, two cheap shower heads and a conduit coupler (Halex 12801 / scan sticker 51411-12212) from there its just personal taste as far as how basic or intricate you want to design the hilt. I am actually starting to build a staff pretty much just like this again but this time it will have the electronics in it to go full Luxeon with sound.

7. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I want to build a curved saber.

8. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    For a quick double bladed saber just go buy some electrical conduit from Lowes. Cut it to the length you want and then get a couple 3/4" couplings for the end. Drill and tap a couple of holes (one on each end) and thread a screw in to hold the blade in place. Probably cost $12 to make.

Take a peice of conduit same as above. If you don't have a small butane torch. Get one. You'll also need a buddy to help out. Place one end of a peice of conduit (about 4') into a vise. Have your buddy heat up the section where you want a bend. Just make sure it doesn't get too cold or too hot or it'll crease or worse. Crack. Then just take another peice of pipe (larger dia) and place it over the opposite end. Then just slowly start pulling on it in the direction you want the bend to go in. Shouldn't take very much pressure or time. When you get it to the right spot let off the heat and allow it to cool. Now you just have to cut the lengths to whatever you want.

9. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Actually I was simply going to get two pieces of sink tubing and get a 45 degree elbow piece and glue them together. I don't want a 'c' shape, more of a regular saber with a bent pommel. Also, this is strictly a hardware saber and I'm not doing any metal work, but what would make a good 'claw' (like on Dooku's)?

10. TheMuffin

Nov 4, 2005
    Yeah that's also a posibility. The method I mentioned really wouldn't create a "c" shape as long as you only heated a small section. It would make a sharp bend at a central point. But the elbow coupling will do the same thing.

For the claw you could try looking at drawer or door handles. Thread one end into the saber and just have the end hang past.

11. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Yeah, that would work. Thanx. Kinda funny, this thread is for a double-bladed saber and we're talking about a curved saber. Oh well, Assajj Ventress had an 's' shaped saber!

12. RYAN-J

RYAN-J Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2006
    Here's some pictures of my custom made Darth Maul lightsaber.

[image=http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/Lightsaber%20Pictures/5bdb24c3.jpg]
    [image=http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/Lightsaber%20Pictures/3022e917.jpg]
    [image=http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/Lightsaber%20Pictures/f1c48040.jpg]
    [image=http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/Lightsaber%20Pictures/2ba0ca71.jpg]
    [image=http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/Lightsaber%20Pictures/DarthMaulsaber5.jpg]

13. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Nice. You can find some pics of my DM saber here: http://www.masterreplicas.com :p

Sadly I only have half of it, but the other half will come in time.

14. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
  15. TheMuffin

Nov 4, 2005
    I want to respond to this.... But I'm not entirely sure what I should say.

16. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    So far, I'm resisting making a response to FETT-MAN's post.

17. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    I have a response to FETT-MAN's post that I'm thinking about posting, but I don't know if I should, it could maybe be interpreted as a bit rude.

18. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    When in doubt, be silent.

I don't see a problem with Fett-Man's post - I assume he got the MR Maul sabre with one blade.

19. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, this particular thread IS about BUILDING a double-bladed lightsaber.

Has anyone built a double-bladed staff that doesn't break down into 2 hilts? I'm trying decide which way to go. But, knowing me, I'll want the option of 2 seperate hilts. Hmmmmmmm.

20. DaleSabers

DaleSabers Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2006
    I've built a couple of doubles that split into singles. Of course they're for my personal collection. If you just want a solid double bladed go to a metal supply store buy a piece of aluminum tubing with heavy walls then go to randomsabers.com and purchase two carbon fibre rods. You'd be looking to spend just under 90 for it all together.

21. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    It's just a joke, of course I didn't build it! Just trying to be a little humorous. Well, anyways, I'm working on a double-saber right now (well, have the blades but no hilt). I'm going to make it split simply because I want both ends to obviously be exactly alike and it's easier to do it that way. Need to visit the hardware store soon to get the stuff. Actually, it'd be cool to have two curved sabers instead (not hooked, just two separate sabers).

22. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
    are you talking a ventress/dooku style saber? Ventresses would be the easier of the two since hers just have groves cut in them every 1.5 inches.

23. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Custom sabers for a fan film. Not replica sabers, that'd be difficult. No, all I'm doing is walking into a hardware store and grabbing a bunch of stuff from the plumbing isle.

24. DaleSabers

Jun 25, 2006
  25. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.