main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Building a double-bladed lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by krowbar, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    I always wanted to do a double-bladed lightsaber that is saber staff that quick disconnects (via some sort of quarter-turn system) to become two sabers. Sure I would like to do it for a fan film in the future (if I am ever involved in a project like that), but I would also like to have it to "troop" with. Of course I would like to have removeable blades and such.... but here is where I am greedy/geeky. I want to have blades that actually light up, can handle light combat, and have the lightsaber sounds to accompany it. I'd also like to make it so that the two ends of the saber that disconnect are smooth, in other words not showing any kind of connecting hardware (if that makes any sense at all). I mean I could have one end "screw" into the other. But the last thing I want to seen when I disconnect the two is a threader bolt hanging out from one of the hilt ends. That and I really would like it to be an easy quick-disconnect system. So that the one saber can become two in a matter of seconds! It would be especially cool in a choreographed saber fight..... but that is just me. I have all these ideas in my head but can't seem to focus on channeling it into a concept design that I like....

2. Darth_Bandalak

Darth_Bandalak Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2006
    Well, you could purchase a Darth Maul Force FX(?). But that wouldn't really be making it. I'm more than 100% sure that there is someone on the costume and props boards that would help you make a luxeon blade though. The sounds... I've never worked with wiring or anything like that, but it can be done. Maybe if you took apart a Force FX and used the parts from that.... But I know that's not the easiest way to do it.

Look around in other posts as well. There's bound to have been someone else with the same "geeky" needs as you.
    :p

3. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    First of all, for all I know, they can fight. Secondly this takes place inside the school, not outside. So weather has nothing to do with it. Thirdly, for luxeon stuff check out the LED Q's & A's thread.

4. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    That's true. I guess it is really more of a skill that your born with anyways. Hand-eye coordination/reaction time/etc.... I mean, it can be learned as well, and normally is, but I think people are born with a natural advanced ability to wield a weapon.

I mean, I wasn't trying to start an arguement or say that your wrong or anything. Just
    talking subtract the thinking part.

5. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
  6. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    Just rambling....

I was kinda tired when I wrote it I-) and, reading back on it now, it makes no sense to me either.
    [face_laugh]

7. James3

James3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2006
    Nice start you have there Bandalak. Look forward to see how you finish it off.

8. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    Thankyou!:D

I don't have a lathe of any kind, so I'm stuck to using a hack saw and sand paper for shaping the pvc. I've already got the designs though.

I'll be taking 6 inches off of the blade too. I can wield a full-sized, double bladed lightsaber, but it's just a lot easier with a shorter blade.

9. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    I'm curious on what length you're making the blades. I've got about 3 designs for double bladed sabers and being 5'11" tall I know normal 40" blades will be overkill. I was thinking maybe 24-30" max for them.

10. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    I'll either be using 27 inch blades or 30 inch blades. 27 is just about the perfect length. I do a lot of spins and flips, and I'm 5'9", so I can't have blades that are too long or they would just get in the way. I'll probably even go shorter...

11. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    I've decided I'm going to use 24" blades. Them being wood, me being young, and the hilt being heavy....
    Almost immediately after I posted the previous post, I cut some of my old lightsaber blades (PVC) down to 3" in length (1" will be covered in the hilt) and sized it up. I had to wedge some paper in between the PVC blade (1 inch) and the hilt, and the weight was off, but I was really just paying attention to the length of the saber. It's awesome.
    On Monday, I'm taking my sabers to my uncle's house. I'm going to use his drill so I can FINALLY get the holes drilled in the hilt to secure the blade. The screws that will be tightened in the holes will be used as decoration as well. I'll also be drilling the holes for the button switches, classic covertec clip, and (um)these little things which hold a purpose I am completely oblivious to, But I'll have the pictures of these mysterious items up with the second step in the construction process (which is moving a lot slower than I had hoped/anticipated). I know one of you will be able to tell me what these "things" are.

12. James3

James3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2006
    At 5'10" I make the hilt roughly in the 24" range and have the blades at 33-34" with two inches in the hilt. I agree that once you get past a certain point that it tends to get in it's own way for twirls and such.

I just finnished up a staff for my boy that is EL last night so I will get some pics up once we find the cable.

13. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I plan to make my blades about 33" (the normal fx blade lentgh), with about 3-5" in the hilt. I'm hoping maybe I'll get some time this weekend to go to the hardware store and get my hilt supplies. I've got the blades and my friend's got the drill. Just need the hilt.

14. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    FETT-MAN, are you building a FX lightsaber? Or a stunt lightsaber?
    just wondering.

James3, I can't wait for th pics!

15. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Hardware saber for fan film, I already told you. Course I did say I was making twin rapier sabers, but I changed my mind. Dang it, I didn't get to go to the hardware store today![face_frustrated] Hopefully tomorrow...[face_praying]

16. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    OH yeah
    :)

Bleh.

17. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    It's okay, I make stupid mistakes, too.

18. TheMuffin

Nov 4, 2005
    Well after working out lengths on my new design each hilt is going to be just slightly over 9" in length. So an 18" hilt overall. Which is fine for me. Any longer and it starts getting ridiculous in my opinion. I'm 6' even so I think each blade being 30" outside the hilt will be good for me.

19. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    30x2=60, +18 would = 78" over all. Wow... that's long.

20. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    Yeah, that is long....

I'm (about) 5'8" and the complete hilt on my final saber is going to be 2'1".
    :)

And I still haven't been able to use a drill!
    It sucks being young and without money.
    :mad:

21. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I totally agree, and I'm only 5'9" so I'm one inch taller than you. I would make the saber just as long as the MR DM FX.

22. TheMuffin

Nov 4, 2005
    How long is the DM saber? HIlt and overall. It seems huge!

23. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    It's too big for Ray Park to use properly, but he's kinda on the short side. o_O

I've seen the videos of him using one at a con, he has to try real hard not to hit the floor with the blades. :p

That's probably the only reason that FETT-MAN "beat" him. He probably let him win, anyway.
    ;)

24. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I didn't "beat" him persay, the whole thing was choreographed. And he's only one inch or so taller than me, so he'd be right at 5'10". I've spun the full saber around a couple of times, and yes, I have hit the ground a time or two. But the saber itself is roughly 7' long.

25. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    Got the PVC done.

All together:
    [image=http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/Darth_Bandalak/Lightsabers/PVC.jpg]

Split:
    [image=http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/Darth_Bandalak/Lightsabers/PVC2.jpg]

Blades:
    [image=http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/Darth_Bandalak/Lightsabers/PVC3.jpg]

Rotoscoped:
    [image=http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/Darth_Bandalak/Lightsabers/PVC3-rotoscoped.jpg]

I haven't painted (Black) the PVC yet, but I'm going to soon. I also have to screw it into the hilt.

Progress is slow due to lack of tools/money. It's gettin' there though!

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.