main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN 'Bushi Tales' On-Line

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dork-Vader, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Hey gang-

Didn't know if I had told all of ya'll or not but my buddy Dave Beaty and I are working on a new/old comic project called 'Bushi Tales'.

The website is now up and running at- www.Bu****ales.com

Below is some of the promo pieces I did for the comic book.
    [image=http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL6/121440/286661/60990057.jpg]

Dave is out in San Diego pimpin' the book and looking for a publisher, as well as trying to get some industry buzz going. He's got some promo postcards and posters he's handing out at the con this weekend.

[image=http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL6/121440/286661/60990781.jpg]

We're really hoping this will be well received and possibly get some Hollywood attention. I'd love to show 'Bushi Tales: The Movie' at a SMT Drive-In Night someday! Tim, can we have the premiere in your back yard..?! Heck, maybe we could even play the 'Bushi Tales' video game at John's while trading 'Bushi Tales' comics and action figures and drinking milkshakes in our 'Bushi Tales' figural mugs!

[image=http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL6/121440/286661/60990703.jpg]

Speaking of 'ho'ing ourselves out', we've got a few BT shop pages set up, and as soon as I get this Jetta kit done for Antone I'll be starting on the BT kits. We'll be releasing them two at a time- a girl and a monster, sold seperately but able to display together or with other kits in the line. I'm hoping to debut it all at MSC this spring. Dave's talking about coming to town for it, so we'll have a table there- probably next to Antone and Janet with 'Jetta'.

The idea for the book was conncieved while driving around in my old VW bug- (and I think we all know how hard it is to conceive anything in a Volkswagon, especially for two heterosexual big guys like myself and Dave!) We were working on 'Stargodz' and wanted to come up with something that could be a spin-off or stand on its own.

[image=http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL6/121440/1525714/18045813.jpg]

I'll be sure to have some BT promo stuffs for everyone at TIMMYCON!. That's right, looks like TIMMYCON! will happen- I'll know more about if/when next weekend...

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Hell, yeah, we'll premier it in the back yard. We'll have to make sure we wheel-and-deal with the studio and get a bigger screen, bigger sound system and projector, and a bigger bar out of the deal.

Good luck with the comic, Lin! We wish you nothing but success and obscene riches.

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    We will be able to say we knew you when! :)

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    And then we could be your hangers-on!

You'll have an entourage! Just like Elvis... or Eddie Murphy!

5. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    (In tiny Elvis voice)"Man, that movie screen is HUGE!"

I talked to Dave last night- no publisher was found at SanDiego, but he got SEVERAL good responses to it, sold one of the prints in the art show, and had folks eating up the posters and postcards. Looking forward to finding out how many hits the site gets this week.

He said he didn't get in to the SW ROTS announcement/panel, but his wife Micah did- and saw Hayden...(sorry girls!) He did say he saw the panel for 'Sin City' (looks like the craphic novel come to life!), 'Fantastic Four' (not much info or pics yet, but Michael Chikalis(sp?) placed a Thing figure in front of the mic and said, "It's Clobberin' Time!"), 'Aliens VS Preadator' (kick-butt fight scene), and a few others. Said the 'Batman Begins' panel really didn't say or reveal anything- pretty much, "We can't say..." was the standard answer.

Dave did have a couple of suggestions on how to publish the book, and met several artists.

Once he's back home he'll continue working on pages, then start sending them to me to letter.

Oh, almost done with Antone's 'Jetta' kit- just got to finish the face and hair...

6. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    COngrats on getting all this online, buddy!! Looks great!!

7. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Thanks, hoping it'll all pay off...

"C'monnnnn miovie check!!!"

8. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    W.O.W.

-Darth Grace*

9. Ima_Toydarian

Ima_Toydarian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2003
    Thought I'd give you guys and gals a sneak peak at a new BT piece Dave and I just finished. It'll be going up on our BT site and CafePress shop this week.

This is Mikah.

[image=http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL796/121440/5603446/76096915.jpg]

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    "This is Mikah."

Does she live on the second floor? Does she live upstairs from you?

Sorry... had to segue into a bad 80's song there.

11. Ima_Toydarian

Ima_Toydarian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2003
    Heh, forgot about that one.

This is the first of 4 seasonal poster designs we're working on. We'll have two done by MSC. Each will look like a different part of the temple during a different season. After all four are completed I'll do another horizontal one with the girls from each together in a group shot. Should be a lot of fun.

Posted this one in the Cafe Press shop. I'm going to upgrade the shop to a premium one this weekend and order some new postcards.

12. Obi-G-Y-N

Obi-G-Y-N Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2004
    Got the new Mikah BT postcards in yesterday. Man they are SWEET! The printing is great. I took some out to Comics and Collectibles last night. I'm going to drop some off for Kevin at 3X this weekend.

13. Clark_W_Griswold

Clark_W_Griswold Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2001
    Love the artwork, Lin. Now I'm ready to see the story!

14. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    That is so friggin' cool!!

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

15. Obi-G-Y-N

Obi-G-Y-N Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2004
    Yeah, when Dave mentioned the 'Bushi Tales' soundtrack is in the works I told him we'd better get going on the comic! Heck, the rate we're going the cartoon series will be in syndication before we're done with the book!

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    And that would be bad because....?

17. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Yeah, when Dave mentioned the 'Bushi Tales' soundtrack is in the works I told him we'd better get going on the comic! Heck, the rate we're going the cartoon series will be in syndication before we're done with the book!

Well, a movie studio optioned Mark Wheatley's comic "Frankenstein Mobster" before the first issue came out, based on the title alone.

-Joe

18. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Ok people start spreading the word about 'Bushi Tales'- Lin needs a movie check!

Just spent the last few hours updating my BT store. Lots of stuffs for folks to choose from. It's amazing what you can do with a few images.

I'm looking forward to listening to the soundtrack while I paint, but I would like to see the story completed before it hits the big screen- or at least the first issue done! :)

19. Clark_W_Griswold

Dec 4, 2001
    I look forward to the day when you're too famous to take my calls, Lin. :p

20. Johnny-Vegas

Johnny-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2004
    Awww. That's kinda sad...

21. Clark_W_Griswold

Dec 4, 2001
    Nah, not really. He doesn't take my calls now! Lin's never home! I've had almost as many conversations with his answering machine than I've had with him!

Hmm... Probably explains why his answering machine died.

22. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    Got the new Mikah BT postcards in yesterday. Man they are SWEET! The printing is great. I took some out to Comics and Collectibles last night.

I grabbed a bunch of them yesterday; stopped by C&C on my way to Studio on the Square, and placed them out on the tables there at the theatre, along with the monthly newsletter that we do. I'll try to get a bunch more, and keep that Malco theatre Bushied out.

23. Clark_W_Griswold

Dec 4, 2001
    I think you may have just coined a new phrase there, Mike-

"Bushied Out"

24. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    That's too cool, Mike- thanks!

What did you think of them? I was amazed at the print job. It was one of those freebies like the TC!1 cards were. For MSC I hope to have at least two more BT freebies ('neenjahs' and spring/girl seasonal one), another full front and back BT (maybe for the BT soundtrack promo), a freebie SMT one (probably the pig design in color), and the Mikah and Akiyo cards I already have. I also plan to have some buttons/pins to giveaway, prints to sell, and some cool swag for the con-suite give-away and any panels Dave and I do.

Did everyone get an MSCA comic and BT postcards? If not let me know and I'll have my people get some out to you.

25. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    Almost out of the BT cards at the Studio. Need more, more, more!

Ditto for the remainder of the Sin City bookmarks that Lin got from Dark Horse Comics (for MSC last March). I dropped a bunch at Studio on the Square on Xmas weekend after seeing THE AVIATOR. We've got the new Sin City trailer in front of THE AVIATOR (3 hours of movie, and not a dull moment; the best thing we've currently got at the Studio on the Square).

And as for the SIN CITY trailer ... Whoa!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.