main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST By a Waterfall (Poe, Amilyn) humor, romance - OTP Challenge #12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Sep 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Title: By a Waterfall
    Author: brodiew
    Genre: humor, romance
    Characters: Poe Dameron, Amilyn Holdo (Poldo!)
    Summary: Amilyn and Poe stop at a waterfall for a holo op.
    Author Note: This fic is for the OPT Challenge #12 - Landscape of Love. Mine was waterfall.

By a Waterfall

Poe sighed heavily as Amilyn pulled him closer to the water's edge. He was not afraid of the water per se, but he had never been a fan of waterfalls. It was hard for him to pinpoint the moment fear sunk its teeth into his psyche, but his best guess was the brittle tree branch that gave way and sent him, not the girl he was trying to impress, into the river and mere moments later, over the edge of sixty foot waterfall. He had nearly drowned at age thirteen and, though he could swim, he preferred not to.

His lover, on the other hand, was enthralled by the waterfall and could and would speak at length on their power and majesty. He endure her pontifications because of his undying love for her. He was enthralled with all of her, her voice included. He would never tell her, but sometimes he would simply tune out the content and bask in her refined drawl. In fact, he was doing so now and figured it was time to tune back in because she was looking at him quizzically.

“Are you alright, Dear?” Amilyn asked, suddenly concerned. “You're looking a little green around the gills?”

“I'm fine, Amilyn,” Poe replied, quickly. “Ashton Falls is lovely. I particularly love the full view...from a distance.”

“I said nothing of Ashton Falls, Poe,” his lover retorted. “I was speaking of The Singularity; the largest falls in this sector. These falls pails in comparison. We were just in the neighborhood and I thought we could stop over for a holo op.”

Poe took in the scene. Amilyn was radiant in a green crepe, smocked elastic, dress with ruffle trim and floral print. Normally, she would not show this much skin, but it certainly wasn't bothering Poe. He enjoyed that the dress hugged her lithe form tightly from neck to just above the knees. Her neckline was open and black lace choker encircled one of the many favorite spots he loved on her person.

There was a waterfall as well. He liked hiking, but it was more about the journey, with Amilyn, and her splendor, than the waterfall destination. She beckoned him still closer to the cliff's edge which was adjacent to the fall itself. There were actually three falls that flowed into a single lake below. The water was green and, to his consternation, almost inviting. The water flowed at moderate pace, but did not blast its way over the edge. The drop was also not the 60 feet the nearly killed him, but more like 35 ft.

“You're getting too close to the edge, Amilyn,” Poe warned. “Please be careful.”

“Nonsense, Poe,” Amilyn deflected. “Come over here so we can take a holo. I want to capture your pained expression for posterity. The leader of The Resistance scared of a little water? Whatever will he do if he has to go to Kamino or Dashelor?”

“It is hardly a little, My Lady,” Poe answered. “And Dashelore shall receive my emissaries if necessary.”

“Of course they would,” Amilyn said, pulling him next to her and raising her holocam above them. She planted a kiss on his cheek as she capture the shot. Placing the camera back in her bag, she allow the bag to drop to the ground. She placed her hand on either side of her lover's face and kissed him passionately. He returned the kiss, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Let's take a walk down to the lake. There is a path right over there,” Amilyn said, breathlessly.

She pulled him by the hand and began the descent. Again, Poe noticed that she was dangerously close the cliff's edge, but decided not to comment again. She was a thrill seeker. So was he. Just not at her level. He much preferred the cockpit of an X-Wing.

They were still twenty feet or so above the water when Amilyn turned to him with visible excitement. “Let's go swimming!”

I'm not-”

She grabbed him by the front of his vest and pulled him to her as she stepped off the cliff. They hung in the air for a couple of seconds; Poe seeing the ecstatic look on Amilyn's face. She likely seeing a look of incredulous disappointment.

The water was relatively warm on impact and they both surfaced quickly. They had not touched bottom and Poe had gotten a shock of cold be fore rising to the warmth near the surface.

“Are you okay?” Poe said, taking a couple of strokes to her.

“Perfectly fine, Poe,” she said through a grin. “Isn't it exhilarating!”

“That's one way to put it,” he replied with grimace. He he was uncomfortable, but not paralyzed. The water felt good, which helped.

“Come here, Flyboy. I want another kiss.” He happily obliged, a kissed that lasted longer than both expected. When the moment ended, Poe placed his hand on her head and dunked her under the water. When she surfaced and shook her short, lavender hair, she looked radiant. The sun sparked in the drops of water on her face, in her hair, and in the air as she tossed her head back and forth.

“Oh, now look what you have done,” Amilyn said, splashing him with her hands.

“What is that?” Poe said, laughing.

“First of all, you have faced your fear,” Amilyn said with satisfaction. "And, secondly, you have woken a Tazmorian Water Beast!”

Poe looked around in all directions and raised his hands in question. “I see no such beast, My Lady.”

Amilyn dove under the water and Poe did not see her surface for almost thirty standard seconds. Suddenly, there was a tugging at his belt and he was pulled under. He saw her there, her hair floating about her head beautifully. She placed her hands on his behind and pulled forcefully to her, again. She kissed him under the water, he passion rising above the kiss on the cliff. As his air supply began to dwindle, he kicked them to the surface.

As they broke into the open air, Poe realized that Amilyn's passion would not be sated her. His passion had grown as well, despite the water. Or, perhaps because it. This was not a woman he needed to impress. She loved him already. Being here, with her, in the warm, inviting water, had sparked something in her that had flowed over to him. It would not be contained.

“Ah, there she is!” he exclaimed, seeing the longing her eyes.

“Yes, and you better her get her home soon, if you know what is good for you.”

“Follow me,” he said, taking off in the cleanest, fastest swim she had ever seen.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEE! SQUEE! The setting is gorgeous and the Poldo is scrumptious!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Findswoman and brodiew like this.
  3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Thank you, Nyota! It was fun to write Poldo again.

Who knew Poe had a minor water phobia. :p Leave it to Amilyn to force the issue. Lovingly, of course. [face_love]

4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Too cute! Your detail is wonderful, and the dangerous yet thrilling waterfall is the perfect metaphor for their adventurous romance!
    I wouldn’t have shipped a Poe and Amilyn, but here I kinda see it.

They are both confident, assured people; they both like to take calculated risks, they both push the boundaries. It makes sense. She gets him to be stronger, braver than he thought he was.

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    GAH, I LOVED THIS!!! [face_love] =D=

First of all, it's so good to see the good ship Poldo sailing again. This delightful crack!pairing is one of the best things to come of the ST, in my opinion, and you know I love reading them in your more than capable hands. ;)

Then, in particular . . .

[face_rofl] [face_love]!!

Yep - I can soooo see this! What a way to set the tone of your vignette. :p

Oh this was perfect. [face_love] I really appreciate how your landscape prompt became such an integral part of the scene, as if it was a character all its own. I can completely see, appreciate, and even feel how kindred Amilyn is to the power and majesty of the waterfalls through your writing. You really painted a beautiful, visceral word picture with your prose! Bravo! =D=

[face_laugh] I loved how gentle and affectionate their banter was throughout the piece! And I could perfectly hear the drawl of Amilyn's voice that Poldo so knows and loves in every syllable. But then again you always have a knack with sinking into incredily in-character POVs. [face_love]

I loved how you tied them together here and through the waterfall again. Perfect! The description of the jump and the plunge, and Poe's perception of Amilyn throughout, was breathtaking to read. [face_love]

[face_laugh]

More wonderful banter! I adore how sweetly and passionately you ended the piece - I'm having a hard time wholly putting it into words, but how both lazy and intense the tone was near the end felt like the force of water itself between them, and I can't applaud the deft hand of your writing enough! Really, bravo!

And that was everything beautiful about this story compressed into just a few sentences. Lovely!

Thank you for sharing this beautiful response to the challenge with us! I enjoyed every word. [face_love] =D=

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    brodiew and Findswoman like this.