main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends 'By the pricking of my thumbs...' JA, (Obi/Qui) - *Updated 30/04/2007*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    "They lost. Later, all of them turned...to the Darkside."

Wow, you just keep building the intrigue on what this little thing is and why it is so important Obi-Wan face it.

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, that's a scary thought. No wonder the Council was hesitant to let a mere Padawan go through this. Interesting, too, that Qui-Gon did it many years ago and now his apprentice is chosen to be the next in a very select few.

Great job as always. Intriguing, mystifying with just the right amount of information to tease the readers. LOL. Looking forward to reading more.

3. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Ooooooh. Cool. And they're gonna have him try it again tomorrow? Whew!

Get lots of sleep, Obi-Wan!

4. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    The_Hutt: Obi certainly *is* powerful, isn't he? Well, you've got your post - until I cook up the next one, anyway :) As for what exactly the Ischila has done besides knocking him out - ah. That'll begin soon enough. [Don't die yet! :D]

maychorian: Welcome! And am glad you're enjoying it. I always saw Obi and Qui as an excellent team. Certainly they must have had their misunderstandings - but on the whole, I think they really vibed well.

Padawan_ChironStar: Have updated - and you'll see more of the Ischila soon enough - I just hope you don't get tired of it. :D

Healer_Leona: HL! You reviewed them chappie-wise! Sweet of you (not to mention that it makes me feel as though I've composed some sort of epic :D ). I daresay, Obi-Wan ought to be happy - but he's not feeling very enthusiastic at the moment.

>>>>>Can't do more than sit here and shake my head in envy. The witty repartee between them is just so delightful to read.>>>

:) Thank you. I enjoy writing them that way, because I belive that's how it was, most of the time. In the later years, anyway. I think Diane has summed up their relationship pretty well, in her interview - what with Qui-Gon sharing Obi's sense of humour :)

PadawanKitara: Thanks :)

ca_tron: Thank you :)

Shaindl: He is, indeed. I placed him in an exalted circle because I wanted the Ischila to be something sufficiently difficult to accomplish - and yet be believable.

You know...I think it requires a lot more power to know the Dark Side, and yet not fall for it..instead of having all the power in the universe - and doing all the things you're not supposed to.

>>>That could mean a lot of different things.>>>

I like the way you phrased that. :D .

Master_Noi: :D ...as long as it *keeps* you intrigued...

dianethx: >>>Intriguing, mystifying with just the right amount of information to tease the readers >>> Well, I'm glad about the right amount - I was plagued by doubts as to whether I'd given too much - or too little. As long as you keep coming back for more :D

PS: You've changed your icon (or have I just noticed it late)?! Not surprising, considering your fascination for all things Luke :D

5. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    That is very interesting the fate of the other Jedi who have faced the Ischila. Can't wait to find out more and see the next confrontation :D

6. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    t_s: Ah...just wait a bit. :)

7. The_Hutt

The_Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2004
    Yay for posts! I'm glad that Qui-Gon finally revealed what had happened to him with the Ischila. I was wondering! So Qui-Gon did in fact best the Ischila? It didn't seem that he did much at all...So would it be safe to say that one could predict the Ischila's movements if they looked deeply into their own strengths and weaknesses-- seing that the Ischila knows its opponent's mind? Hmm...or is it more random? Am I totally blathering to myself?

"Great minds, yes. In this particular instance, I have no doubt about the greatness of one - mine. You, my mimicking apprentice, however..." He threw a haughty glance at Obi-Wan as the latter cast a mock frown at him. "...will retire to your sleep-couch, and rest. And contemplate greatness - again, mine - in your dreams."

That part was HILARIOUS! I was laughing my butt off. Mucho props for that bit of humor, and for the intriguing post!

8. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow most definetely an intriguing chapter! I wonder why the Council let Obi-Wan try.. .very good.. I can't wait for more!

9. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I am enjoying your writing with it's clever banter and really mysterious foe (or is it merely a lesson?)

10. agentj

agentj Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 3, 2004
    I actually saw this at ff.n first (I find it a little hard to navigate in here at times). I am absolutely rivoted to this story. Don't be like me and leave readers hanging!

11. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    The_Hutt: Oh yes, Qui-Gon did best it. How could he not?! :) It was his *first* confrontation that turned out to be so...awful.[Much as I would like to establish Obi as the only one to win the Ischila...that wouldn't have been too believable - for me, anyway. :)]

Far from blathering, my engaging hutt, you're a little too perceptive for your own good [frowns direfully] - and you've just upped my - er - steely resolve to complicate matters. As much as I can, at any rate. [You really made my day with your comment, you know? :)]

Glad that you enjoyed the humour part of it. I enjoyed writing it, myself :D.

Layren: Thanks for sticking around :)

PadawanKitara: Lesson, foe - it's whatever you choose to think of it. Argh, that sounds too Jedi-like. :D

agentj: Welcome! Glad you like this little production. :) Leave readers hanging! I never do...er, um. Maybe a bit. :D

Now, if only Darth Writer's Block would leave me be...

12. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    A realy looooooooooooooong post...to make up for a prolonged absence. Hope it passes muster.

Note: Sentences within '//' indicate thoughts via bond.

Note 2: Sentences in italics indicate just thoughts.

Part 8

The night had passed very much in a manner Obi-Wan had expected?and dreaded. Vague and unsettling dreams had flitted across his sub-conscious mind?what was surprising, however, was that none of them had featured the Ischila. He had half-expected to be haunted all night by the specter of a bright marble chasing him from the Temple to eternity, and had been immensely relieved to find that it had spared him?for that night, anyway.

That did not, mean, however, that he could rest peacefully. The confrontation played itself out in his mind, suggesting too many alternatives, and confusing him until a headache resulted even in his dreams?at which point he had been forced to awaken.

It was, consequently, a rather different spectacle that confronted Qui-Gon when he knocked on the door to his apprentice?s sleep-quarters, as dawn broke over the Coruscant heavens. Surprised to hear a murmur of welcome, he walked in, to see Obi-Wan kneeling beside his bed in a posture of meditation. His padawan did not seem to have derived much benefit from this exercise, however?faint circles ringed his eyes, and there was a translucent quality to his skin that one did not usually associate with good health.

During the early years of his apprenticeship, Qui-Gon had discovered his padawan?s tendency to relive entirely too many horrible memories during his hours of sleep?and had initiated the boy into certain methods of meditation calculated to allow his mind to rest. Over the years, he had reason to believe that Obi-Wan made good use of them?too much use, in his opinion. That, however, was the bane of his existence?and what could not be cured had to be endured as best as possible. Much as he appreciated Obi-Wan?s gift of foresight, he wished the Force would sometimes give the younger Jedi a brief respite.

Light filtered in gently through transparisteel embrasures, dimmed to allow just enough of it for the occupant to recognize the objects within?but only just.

?I gather that didn?t go well,? the master murmured from the doorway, as he watched Obi-Wan lean back against the bed with a sigh.

?Not really, no,? was the brief answer. The apprentice remained in that pose, eyes closed?until he felt Qui-Gon?s presence move away. ?Am I early enough?? he asked with a smile, preparing to rise.

?Stay there a moment, padawan,? came his master?s voice, and Obi-Wan, after increasing the room?s illumination, sat down, mildly surprised. He raised his eye-brows, shooting a quizzical glance at Qui-Gon as the master walked in again a few minutes later, holding something in a steaming cup.

?Who are you, and what have you done with Master Qui-Gon Jinn??

?I am his evil twin. I defeated him in a duel, and, er?? Qui-Gon sat down on the edge of the bed, followed by a grinning, albeit wide-eyed apprentice. ?Buried him under the Ver?it stairway leading to the Council Chamber.?

?Disposed of him, did you? It?s a good thing our exalted Council members use the turbo-lift?they would have a fit, else. I ought to have guessed it?when I was greeted by a cup of something steaming, instead of being force-rolled out of bed.?

?I suppose it didn?t occur to you that I might ask you the same?meditating, instead of being lost in pleasant dreams at this time of the day.? He handed the cup to Obi-Wan, who wrinkled his nose doubtfully at the swirling green liquid. ?And you will drink that?all of it?with no objection whatsoever.?

Obi-Wan frowned at the cup, drew a deep breath, and poured its contents into his mouth?and coughed convulsively a moment after swallowing the liquid. ?Ugh. Expect a terrible and devastating revenge?both for this, and for burying my master in such a?cavalier fashion. The least he deserved was a ceremonial robe.?

?Wretch.? Qu

13. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Methinks Obi-Wan has to stop fighting and just let the bloody thing into his mind. His constant rejection of it is what's causing it to attack him.

Gah. Haven't had this much fun on guessing what's going to happen in a story in a long time. :) Looking forward to more, PA!

Shaindl

14. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow -- you're forgiven for your lack of updates :p

That was amazing.. truly breathtaking.. I can't wait to read more

15. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Excellent! I loved the humor in the beginning, the library stuff, the initial acceptance, the resulting battle . . . Hmm. Wonder would happen if Obi didn't raise his mental shields? Of course, he's a very private person, so his reticence is understandable. Qui-Gon probably feels bad, and a bit frustrated. Keeps getting his Padawan injured!

I really loved Qui and Obi's interactions, and the explanation of the telepathy. Great relationship, very sweet and caring.

More soon, or I will die! Just kidding. Not really. Whatever. Just keep writing!

16. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    ?How I look forward to it,? was the apprentice?s laconic answer, as he gathered his tunics and left for the refresher [face_laugh] Their relationship together is wonderful PA!

And you had me on the edge of my seat with Obi-Wan waiting for the approach of the Ischilla- It seems like on one hand letting it into your mind would be the answer, but what if it was just assessing Obi-Wan's weaknesses.

I want to know what Qui-Gon is trying to teach him :D Also liked the explanation of the telepathy, so sweet!

17. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    I feel Obi-Wan's pain - how do you fight something you don't understand or really know anything about.

On one hand, it seems letting it into his mind might be necessary, but with the knowledge that most who have faced the Ischila have falen, not something he wants to do unless he's sure.

18. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    that was really enjoyable. I like SHaindl's idea. Could it be that he is really fighting himself?

19. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
  20. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Shaindl: Glad you're having fun...and you *will* have more. Soon :)

>>>Methinks Obi-Wan has to stop fighting and just let the bloody thing into his mind. His constant rejection of it is what's causing it to attack him.>>>

I'm afraid of answering that, and giving something away :D

Layren: Gimme a couple of days more :)

maychorian: Glad you enjoyed the first part...I wanted to make it light. Qui-Gon feels bad...actually, he's feeling a lot of things, at the moment. None of which he will divulge to his puzzled padawan any time soon :) [fanfic writers are extraordinarily resilient, I know...so keep alive until I post :) . Or else...]

tangled_sphere: Thanks, t_s. Qui-Gon's teaching one of those Jedi lessons...where you're not aware of anything being taught...and all the rest of it. :D

Master_Noi: At the moment, the boy doesn't stand a chance. That's half the battle...trying to understand what's going on :)

PadawanKitara: :D Keep...guessing!

21. Kadi

Kadi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    Up!

22. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Kadi: Welcome, and thanks for the up.<dances a jig> Whee!

And now, for the...oh, wonder of wonders...post.

Part 9

Obi-Wan lay on his bed in the quarters he shared with his master, feet propped on two cushions, covered in a tangle of sheets. One hand held a rough dreslin cloth, while the other held a needle, poised to prick said cloth.

His attention, however, was far away?and certainly not on the moment, as Qui-Gon would have noted, with a hint of disapproval. Not that he had sensed any such emotion from his master, following his second encounter with what he privately termed ?that sith-blasted marble.? Qui-Gon, he learnt when he had recovered consciousness, had carried him all the way to the Healer?s Ward?and the Force alone knew how many knights and padawans had raised their eye-brows at such a spectacle?and had stayed with him until the healing process had begun. After a fashion.

Qui-Gon had later divulged the fact that healer Han?yaie finally knew the secret of Obi-Wan?s repeated visits to said Ward?it was not possible, nor advisable, the master had said with a ghost of a smile, to keep the Chief healer of the Jedi Temple in suspense about what had prompted numerous injuries resulting from energy bolts?particularly within the relatively safe confines of the Temple. Qui-Gon had, however, preserved a discreet silence regarding Han?yaie?s reaction to the master?s explanation?and Obi-Wan had come to the correct, if unverified conclusion that it had not been good.

The padawan smiled as he stared at the dreslin cloth in his hands, crumpling it in an absent-minded manner. Few could withstand healer Han?yaie?s blistering reproaches, particularly when the healer felt he was in the right. Obi-Wan had not regained consciousness in time to hear that tirade?he wished he had been. On the other hand, if he had been conscious, he might have probably ended up defending his master?ah, well. Perhaps it was for the best that his injuries had healed within the day, and he was left with little more than a vague stiffness in his joints.

That was puzzling too. Injuries such as those he had sustained did not usually heal so quickly?

//Padawan?//

Obi-Wan sat up with a jerk, wincing slightly as he did so. Staring down at the cloth in his hand, he released a sigh. He had done no work?

//How many stitches have you set?//

Ah?er. //I gather the lecture on Sebullian Customs is complete, then.//

//Quite.//

Obi-Wan grinned, threading the needle for what appeared to be the sixth time. //All that?s required now is a mission to Sebullia?and you may test out your new-found knowledge.//

//As, I?m sure, you are. I repeat, padawan, how many stitches have you set?//

Obi-Wan closed his eyes, and slumped on the bed. //Master?are you certain that stitching sessions can be a worthy substitute to meditation?// He still remembered his amazement, that morning, when Qui-Gon had settled him in bed; had produced the necessary implements, and proceeded, with consummate ease, to demonstrate his skills in stitchery. It was, he had realised, one of his master's latent-talents - one, which the master emphasized, worked well towards providing peace of mind - something the apprentice had longed for desperately, ever since he had regained consciousness. When and where his master had acquired this skill, Obi-Wan knew not...but of the fact that he had learnt it very well, he had no doubt. That was part of the mysticism of an apprenticeship with one such as Qui-Gon - one never knew what project one might end up doing, regardless of whether it was favoured by the male or female of the species. Any species.

Qui-Gon Jinn's fascination with needle-work aside, Obi-Wan still had considerable doubts about the efficacy of a needle and thread in calming him - especially as the very basics of the skill eluded him. This, despite his reputation for nimble fingers. Force...it was needle-work. Try as he might, he could not k

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ch. 8 - I ought to have guessed it?when I was greeted by a cup of something steaming, instead of being force-rolled out of bed.? .. too funny, though I can see Qui-Gon doing that to Obi-Wan. Again, the conversation between master and padawan in the morning is just so satisfying. I really enjoyed Obi-Wan's musing on his and Qui-Gon's ability to hold entire conversations via the Force. That's our boys!! :D :D Nothing like ending with being carried to the healers. LOL!

Ch 9 - Obi-Wan had not regained consciousness in time to hear that tirade?he wished he had been. as do we all I bet! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Qui-Gon doing needlepoint.. why can I so see that!! //Indeed. Am I to believe that you suspended an important negotiation process at some point, held off two or more aggressive teams, and sat down with a needle and thread to collect your thoughts?// ... I want to know where he carried it?? ;) :D

Oooh, Qui-Gon's first padawan??? I can't wait to see how they all get on together. Another lovely couple of posts. Princess Arul!

24. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Well...that's an unexpected turn. I wonder what Schen knows about the Ischila and what part she has to play in all this. Looking forward to more. :)

Shaindl

25. maychorian

Jan 7, 2005
    Return of the dreaded needle! Excellent. Very excellent.

Enjoyed the banter. Obi suffering lingering dizzy spells? Disconcerting, to say the least. Seems to be almost a spiritual side effect. For a second I thought that he was channeling, listening to someone outside himself. Interesting.

Ah, Qui's first Padawan! This should be fun. Obi-Wan didn't seem entirely enthusiastic. But I suppose that could stem from being confined to bed with a needle and piece of cloth.

Great job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.