main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST C-3PO/Anthony Daniels Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    New Forum, new thread! This is the new catch-all thread for discussion of the character, and sometimes the actor who played him.

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Goldenrod has always been very hit-or-miss in the movies, IMO. He could easily bounce back and forth between delightfully out of place and annoyingly stupid. AotC was his lowest point (such a drag [face_sick]). TRoS was definitely one of his best, probably #1 for him.

3. VanLiz

VanLiz Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2002
    I enjoy him in most of the movies, this one especially. I'm still giggling at his reply to Poe's telling him to move his sweet *ss (I barely know you or something like that).

MaverickJedi85 likes this.
  4. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    Am I the only person who thinks he's hilarious in AOTC??

5. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2019
    His peak was TESB. Anthony Daniels had a golden secondary role in that movie with excellent dialogue, as some sort of "always afraid-cautious non-fighting sidekick and often the ignored voice of reason".

TROS was his best role since TESB, in my opinion. I liked him in TLJ (hilarious reaction during the mutiny), but I'm surprised how big his role was in TROS. JJ pulled it off. Great final performance by Anthony Daniels. Extra-emotional considering Kenny, Peter, Frank are gone, but C3P0 is still with us.

EDIT: I usually get emotional when I talk about C3P0; such a gentle, loyal and pure AI, devoid of any evil/cruelty. If you treat C3P0 harshly, it means there's an unpleasant/harsh side to your personality (Han, Poe).

The day Anthony Daniels dies, the tears will be strong and neverending, you all.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  6. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    C3PO was deffo a highlight of TROS - Was nice they gave him his moment to shine.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    TROS might be his best film

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He was good in it. Anthony Daniels got his wish for C3PO to be heroic

9. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    In today's theater viewing, the theater really laughed at the C3PO lines. TROS is by far my favorite 3PO movie. He's funny, not irritating,and heroic. Anthony Daniels was perfect in the movie.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

10. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I'm not sure if I have the exact wording, but I think it's a poignant acknowledgement when Rey says, "You know the odds better than any of us."

Also, his noting the unreliability of R2 unit backups could be a callback to TFA: "It is very doubtful that R2 would have the rest of the map in his backup data."

11. Starkiller17

Starkiller17 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2010
    I'm not a big Threepio fan by any means. I could not stand him in AOTC but he was great in TESB and TROS.

12. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Anthony Daniels is a great physical performer in the suit. Two of my favourite scenes with Threepio are the "Deck Officer" scene in TESB where Han puts his hand over Threepio's mouth, and he does this funny little indignant shrug thing with his shoulders. He does something very similar in ROTJ in Jabba's garage when the droid is pulled apart. His shoulders go up, his head turns, his head turns back and his shoulders drop again. It's great acting from Daniels.

I also always laugh at the end of TESB when Artoo his dragging him along the floor
    "I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me"
    <beep beep>
    "Of course I've looked better!"

One of the worst scenes for Threepio is in TFA when he jumps in front of Harrison Ford with his "It is I, C-3PO!" - that was pretty bad. It's as though JJ thought the audience wouldn't know who he is so needed a jarring introduction to the character again.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    MaverickJedi85 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There's so much Threepio in TROS, it's amazing. He's even more put upon than usual for that stretch at the start there. Probably the most Threepio since ANH or ESB, and easily the most and best used in the ST. And he nails every moment too here. The comedy and his one dramatic moment as well. And then back to the gold, I just love it.

"It’s a terribly dangerous, and simple, act performed on unwitting droids by dregs and criminals."
    "Let’s do that!"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Iron_lord likes this.
  14. ukijedi

ukijedi Jedi Master

Jun 4, 2014
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I noticed that Threepio's last line in this film is the same as his first line in ANH! "Did you hear that?" He says it as Rey is returning in Luke's X-wing at the end.

15. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I adore Threepio and Anthony Daniels.
    I loved the Threepio had such a large role. And he got some great moments too — but my favorite is “wipe that nervous expression off your face”

And I’d be down for a Disney+ Droids live action series.

MarcJordan likes this.
  16. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    That scene really annoyed me. I have to say that JJ Abrams made up for his sins against the character in The Force Awakens by writing C-3PO correctly, and really giving him a great part. It's almost like a face turn from a Star Wars villain, from Darth Abrams to Jacob Abrams. Of course for all I know Chris Terrio is the one who made this correction, but am I ever grateful. The boys made good in the end, at least as far as C-3PO is concerned. Finally.

But seriously though, how would a Protocol Droid be so rude as to upstage the Princess when she encounters her estranged husband for the first time in years? That moment seemed so wrong to me, even without the red arm red herring (a clear disney marketing ploy, the kind I hate from them) that it took me out of the movie. It bothers me less now, because I'm not watching it for the first time.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    I don't like THE RISE OF SSKYWALKER very much but Threepio surely got some of the best moments and lines in the movie.
    My favorite C3PO moments would be his "basic" appearance in THE PHANTOM MENACE (what a shock to discover at the time that he had been created and assembled by Anakin !) and also when he got winked by his Master Luke in THE LAST JEDI.

cratylus likes this.
  18. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    To address his reintroduction scene further, I think the writers were accurately trying to show his awkwardness, a feature of his character, but inaccurate in the kind of awkwardness he would display. I also don't think it's plausible that he would think the red arm made him unrecognizable. They just wanted to call attention to that so they could sell the comic. I heard it was a good comic but they didn't need to consume saga seconds on this, when it didn't lead to anything within the saga.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The red arm was silly and never brought up again :(

20. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    That's the problem. It was only relevant to a side comic that explained it. So it took away a few seconds from the saga to do that, and a person who just wants to enjoy the saga is left with a pointless red herring.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So, in ROTJ C-3PO claims that it's against his programming to impersonate a deity. Despite that, he ends up doing it anyway.

Fast forward to TROS and 3PO again claims it's against his programming to do something, which in this case is translating the Sith language. But this time around, his programming is ironclad and he's unable to override it?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  22. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    "wipe that expression off your face" I think was in honor of GL. In one of the BTS' (probably for ROTS), GL remarks to AD in 3PO suit, "I need more emotion from your face" (not verbatim). Maybe?

MJ

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Eh we don't exactly know what specifically literally what he says to the Ewoks when Luke tells him to "become angry and use your magic" only that the Ewoks don't believe him - until Luke lifts him up. the Sith language is a straight up translation which is forbidden.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The red arm thing was one of the few bits of humor I enjoyed from the ST. Doesn't need to go anywhere. It's just funny that 3PO thinks he might be unrecognizable with it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh yeah, why'd they make such a big deal out of the red arm, only to discard it after the first movie? Should have either have him keep it through the whole trilogy, or never had it at all.