main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[C and P] Blaster Making Session???

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obey Wann, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    If it's on a weeked, I'll be missing out, but I can lend my dremel that Reaper63 gave me.

2. ChiefsBlow2004

ChiefsBlow2004 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2004
    Honestly, September and October are busy months for most of us with MHC and Halloween hurtling towards us. Sometime in November might work better...or a warm weekend in December.

3. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    and since we are using my house nov or dec works better for me as I am not going to be at home 3 of the weekends in October...

4. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    November it is. :) How about Nov 6 or 13? I have drill the 3rd weekend of November, and Thanksgiving is the 4th.

LMK what you all think. :D

5. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    whatever works best for everyone

also please note I am having a masquarade on the saturday after turkey day=)

6. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    the trigger was molded in resin, along witht he grip assembly. But a piece of wood made to resemble the trigger would work good as well.

7. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I have found some truly incredible reference material on the RPF forums and will be trying it out between now and my October Drill. If nothing else, I might be able to bust out a batch of these, and charge people for the parts.

This is going to be a fantastic piece of work!!!

8. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I picked up a BUNCH of 3-4oz leather Bill, so if you can get me a rough draft I will play around a bit with the holster.

9. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    ...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

......leather..............

10. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    OOH i need one for my endor leah...i have a military belt right now. which is what they use...hmmm just thinking as i type.
    dangerous.

11. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    OK, I'll try and get one to you shortly. Maybe at the Oct meeting? I won't be there, but I can gte you a blaster in progress...

I went shopping today for blaster parts this morning. Got practically everything I needed. I need some dimensions for a couple of things, and then I'll get the rest. I got enough PVC for everyone's blasters and got pictures and pices of everything that will be needed. I'll put together the shopping lists fro anyone wanting to do a DH-17. I also got a clamping mire box and saw combo so I can cut out the PVC.

Once I get those dimensions, I'll get the wood for the blaster handles and cut them out on a band saw at the reserve center on Saturday.

Making progress here!!! :D
    Lots of fun today!!!

12. melodyann

melodyann Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    ok curious...have we set a date on this yet? :)

i am miss planner you know. it is sick sick disease and i am seeking help.

after all, i think i am free one saturday this month...ooh and that is next week...i need to get up in the mountains...it's been forever.

13. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    No date may need be set. I'm going to cut the PVC for multiple blasters, and I will cut as many handles and other wooden parts next weekend at drill. By that point, I might have a working tutorial for everyone based on the new info coming out of the RPF forums. I'll also have detailed shopping lists, including pictures and prices.

If we do a session, it'll be in November-ish? Don't know for sure, but there are also rumors of a possible armor-pull session at Sith Hall coming up as well. We might pull armor in the morning, then shift to blasters afterwards, or vice-versa.

But in the meantime, I'll keep everyone updated on the blaster process and we'll go from there. :D

14. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I spent about $40 so far today on things, and that included buying a clamping mitre box and saw.

Here is a price list. I went to both HD and lowes, because I didn't like the end caps they had at HD.
    Here goes:

Lowes:
    6" Round taper leg: $1.84
    1 1/4" end cap: $.55
    Package of 4 1 1/4 EMT Straps (trigger guard): $.78
    With tax: $3.41

Home Depot:
    Package of 25 3/4" flat type drive straps (look like triggers and I bought enough for the FF): $2.96
    #4 size CND Hangar (End piece at rear of blaster): $$.99
    7/8" x 48" Dowel: $2.57
    1" x 48" Dowel: $2.99
    3 1 to 3/4" Copper Pipe Reducers: 3@ 1.59 = $4.77
    1"x10' PVC: $2.28
    1 1/4" PVC: $3.19
    Mitre Box with saw: $15.49

HD total with mitre box: $38.01
    Without: $22.52

Total so far: $25.93

I still need to buy the wood for the grips. What size wood is best? 1x6"? 2x6"? Any thoughts?

Also, I looked at scope rings at Wal Mart, they were about $10, but since I didn't have the scope parts on me, I didn't get it (wanted to make sure it was a perfect fit).

I have created a Yahoo Photos album with pics of everything I putchased today and pics of them on the shelf: (cut and paste)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/obey_wann_ff/my_photos

Hope this helps!!!

15. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm going to be cutting bases for the blasters over the next couple of days. Like I said, I'll cut the handles this coming weekend.

Coould I get a full list of everyone who wants one?

This is what I have so far:

OW
    JKB
    PJosh
    Becca
    Melody Ann
    SithSlayer?
    FenigDurak?

Any other takers? I have enough PVC for about 10 blasters, more or less. I'll probaby make a couple of extras anyway, just to be safe. :)

LMK. :D

16. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Here are pics of the blaster-in-progress:

image=http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/416871d4zf781c990/f0eb/__sr_/a318.jpg?phTkqaBBp_rSOG3A

image=http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/416871d4zf781c990/f0eb/__sr_/d2b6.jpg?phUkqaBB71WKGSZT

17. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    ooo000oo0oo0o

18. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    OW...add Rachel to that list, too. May as well make 2 while we're at it.

19. MelannasJoy

MelannasJoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2004
    OW-I tried to cut and past the links, however they were not working for me. :(

20. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
  21. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Sweeeeet. :D

22. MelannasJoy

MelannasJoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2004
    THAT worked...thanks! :)

23. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I purchased more parts today. I got some great knurled knobs for the scope, the wood for the handles, the u-channel for the scope, wood strips for the barrel ribs, aluminum strip to attach the scope rings to and the scope rings themselves. I'll upload the pictures tomorrow and the prices.

I'll give you all a complete shopping list so you don't have to hunt around for every little thing. Many of the parts I have will have extra, so you won't need to hunt for those parts, either.

The goal here is to make it very, very easy for anyone who wants a blaster to get armed up. And to produce a tutorial that takes a lot of the guesswork out of the process.

ED: Also just found out that Hobby Lobby carries sheet styrene, which I've been looking for. :D I know some people in the group might have some, but I'm trying to make this "duplicateable" so I can give people locations where they can get certain items that aren't carried in the "normal" stores.

24. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    hey, i work there and have never seen it!!!

what part of the store did you find it in?

25. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I've seen sheet plexiglass at Hobby Lobby, but it's usually in the uber small "craft size" where you only get a 12" x 12" square. Is that how the styrene comes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.