main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

C-IV Art Show Information

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Amidala Starkiller, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
  2. RAATS

RAATS LFL Artist VIP

Apr 14, 2007
    Hi Everyone. Mark Raats here...

I agree with Amidala, Dave's piece is breathtaking, but then looking at all the brilliant work that have been posted its hard to pick out specific piece!

I have to admit that Cat's is a fave of mine because I am a sucker for her work and that specific design!

Hopefully we will have lots of you as visitors in the artist's corner.

See you there!

3. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    It's one of the places I go to first thing... looking forward to meeting Mark and all the other great SW artists again.

4. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    I have never attended the art show at C3, could someone fill me in on what goes on? I am very interested in attending this time!!!

Thanks!!!

5. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    It's really not an art show per se -- more of an "artists alley" like Comic-Con has. The artists have tables at which they have examples of their work, sketches, posters, etcetera they are showing and selling. Many will do sketches "on the spot" -- it's a great way to discover how very talented they are, when they can whip out a beautiful Amidala sketch in about two minutes (like Tom Hodges did for me; the amazing part was watching him work on the sketch upside down). It's also a great opportunity to talk to the artists "up close and personal."

6. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I'm completely amazed with the art that has been previewed. =D=

Something that I feel is really, really cool about the poster Dave Dorman has created is the Stormtrooper in the bottom left hand corner that is closest to the viewer seems to be leaning towards the viewer as he is pointing as if he is leaning in to talk to the viewer and point something out to the viewer. It pulls the viewer in to this amazing action taking place. That's awesome. :cool:

STAR WARS CELEBRATION IV is getting closer!

7. lija

lija Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2002
    For the art show at C3, they have tables in a semicircle, against the wall and in the middle. Each table showcased an artist and his/her work.

I don't remember how many artists there were at C3, but the room wasn't that big. Since C4 will have 50 artists, then the room should be huge, cause the crowd can bunch up at certain tables.

I went the first day and the room wasn't that crowded. The artwork was just amazing. Not only do the artists showcased their exclusive artwork, but their other works as well. Some of the artists are also willing to create a personal artwork for you for an agreed upon price.

If you wanted to buy their exclusives, you pick up a ticket and pay for them at the cashier. At C3, they had 2 cashiers next to the doorway. After you paid for the exclusives, you can pick them up at anytime. Once you paid, you're guarantee a print from that specific artist. Most of the artists ask which number (1-200 or 250) of their exclusives you preferred.

FYI, if you want to buy a specific print, pay for them as soon as you can. At C3, one of the artists sold all of his exclusive artwork within a couple of days. At C3, I spent most of my money on the artwork and they're worth every penny. :D

Now I've been checking the artwork and counted approx 10+ prints that I would like to buy. Ouch! My wallet is begging already. Why must all of the artwork be so beautiful?

8. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    Ok, I am hooked, I gotta see this for sure. Where can you view the art examples everyone is talking about? Also, what is the range of prices and will they create a pic for you with your face on the charater, I would love to get my son a Jedi pic with his head on it?

Thanks for all your help!!!

9. Amidala081499

Sep 13, 2003
    DAH...I found it, I am silly!!!

I like that Tsundra print, but where is Chewy...poor Chewy, he never got a medal and now this!!!

10. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Now I've been checking the artwork and counted approx 10+ prints that I would like to buy. Ouch! My wallet is begging already. Why must all of the artwork be so beautiful?

And that is with just over half of the prints revealed! I would love to get each and every one but that ain't gonna happen ;)

The prices for the prints very, but IIRC from C3 the Sanda print was mucho $$$. At least $100 I believe...but it is great work. Just keep that in mind when you're thinking about the prints. You will be likely looking at anywhere from $25-$100 per print depending on the size, artist, detail and so on.

11. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    $100 per print is going to VERY tough to swallow. With 50 artists scheduled to appear at CIV, the hardest part is deciding which prints to select, as it will not nearly be possible to purchase one of each.

I really hope the majority of the artists settle on the $25-$50 price range for their prints. Otherwise, there are going to quite a few fans who will be really disappointed (including me) that they could not afford more of these amazing prints.

12. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    Between $25-$50 is likely where most of the artists will be. We bought 5 or so at C3. The most expensive was about $70 but the rest were around the $30-$40 range. The one regret about we have about C3 was not getting Vandersteldt's print. It was sweet, but it was also around $80 I think. Even with that, it sold out so by the time we decided to get it we were too late. That is the risk if you wait until the last day and discover you haven't blown as much of your budget as you thought you would have ;)

13. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    On a disappointing note - it has been confirmed that Ralph McQuarrie will NOT be attending CIV or C4 Europe. :(

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/C4_CE_Ralph_McQuarrie_Update_105028.asp

We all wish Mr. McQuarrie the best in his continuing fight with Parkinson's.

14. BacaraCC-1138

BacaraCC-1138 Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2005
    Hey all,
    My name is Joe, but everyone calls me "Kuke". This is my first post and I wanted to ask if anyone was going to be attending CIV? Last year, I got the 3-piece Ken Steacy Set of Anakin transforming into Vader and this year he is doing a three piece of Luke going from farm boy to Jedi. I'm looking for someone that would buy me the luke set if I sent them the money in advance. I live in PA and i'm a Disabled Vet so I couldn't go even if I wanted to. I have degenerative disc disease with four ruptured discs. If anyone would help me out i'd be glad to give them 50 bucks just for picking it up for me. I don't get a chance to check the boards everyday so if your interested you can email me at kuke20@adelphia.net

Here is link where I saw it. It's the next set down after McQuarrie on the right of the artoo print.
    http://www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration/news20070410.html[/link]

Thanks for hearing me out. Take care yall.

Best Regards,
    Kuke

15. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    Ah. Dorman's piece is $100 and Vandesteldt's is $150. I guess those can come off the list ;)

16. RAATS

RAATS LFL Artist VIP

Apr 14, 2007
    Hi Again. The pricing is something that the artists need to try and keep a balance on - for the fans. But that said, these are some of the costs that have to be absorbed into their calculations:

Print costs to the artist can be quite steep, anything up to around $20.00 per print - bearing in mind that because the run is only 250, it is much more expensive (per print. The artists are also determined to give the fans 'bang for their buck' by arranging fabulous quality playouts - often on heavy guage paper with aqueous coating over the top.
    There is also the table reservation which costs each participant, the hotel booking, food and travel.
    Obviously those in California are (possibly)in the best position because they are not having to travel inter-state to attend. Those out of state also need to arrange transport of the prints (you can obviously not just sling 250 pieces under your arm and walk off down the road). There are some that are coming in from overseas which dilutes their profit even further.

So each it trying to strike the balance of making some money, and the risk of not selling out their prints because it is all too expensive for the fans.

Dave's print is $100.00 but because he sold out at C III he is asking people to register interest and that way he is trying to guarantee his turnover.

There two sites tracking the prints and their prices.

Oh, by the way, the page in question is http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/C4_Artist_RoundUp_105007.asp
    and it also gets mirrored on TheForce.net http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/C4_Artist_RoundUp_105007.asp

Hope to see you all soon!

17. BacaraCC-1138

BacaraCC-1138 Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2005
    The Ken Steacy Anakin to Vader three piece cost me $90.00, but of course it was three seperate prints. They had them on star wars shop for a pretty short time which is how I got mine. I remember they had some of the others and the prices did vary by artist But if I recall none of them were really overpriced.

Best Regards,
    Kuke

18. miarama

miarama Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    Hi Mark!

This is the reason why I'm compiling a list of possible artworks to purchase. The first category is easy...If it appeals to me, it goes on my list.

Second would be price. If a piece is expensive but IMO unique, it will still stay on my list.

The next few categories won't be validated until I'm actually at the art show. I would like to feel the weight of the paper to see if it is high quality. Also the charm factor of the artist comes into play. If I have a tough decision to make between a few pieces, I would purchase the piece from the artist that is more personable. :)

See you all there :)

ps. I think that having some artists involved in this forum is great because it makes some fans aware about it. My husband has been to all the Celebrations and NOT ONCE did he make an attempt to see any pieces! I was at C3, and I didn't even know that there was an Artists Alley. I found out about all this through this forum, and now I'm sold! I got my husband interested as well, so now you've got an extra customer.

19. RAATS

RAATS LFL Artist VIP

Apr 14, 2007
    Personally I think your approach is the most practical miarama! Thanks for your support and wise advice.

Remember to stop and say "hi". I can't promise to remember everyone, but I'll do my best

See you there

20. lija

lija Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2002
    Mark, I just adore your Luke print. Didn't realized that you did that artwork until I went to the RebelScum site.

Look forward to seeing all of the amazing artwork and, of course, parting with my money.... :D

21. gatodama

gatodama LFL Artist star 3 VIP

May 17, 2002
    Well Hello Mr. Raats!!! And I can send the same compliment right back to you! I LOVE your print!
    I am looking forward to finally meeting you in person...this should be one hell of a good time for EVERYONE..fans and guests alike.

As for the price my print.. I have been holding off because I am still not set on a printer. Still getting quotes...but I can tell you.. I am looking to print it at 18" x 24" and I can say a tenative price would probably be in the $50 range as I am trying to get a really nice quality paper. But as soon as I know for certain..I will post it officially.

See you all in a month!!

Whoo hoooo!!!

22. RAATS

RAATS LFL Artist VIP

Apr 14, 2007
    Thanks so much lija!

I tried to do something different. I did NOT want to re-circulate the same old pictures (of the actors) in a Star Wars layout - but just in a different arrangement. I also wanted to celebrate the character of Luke. After all it is Luke that we first met and cheered for in the original movie in '77.

When deciding on a layout for my painting, I felt that SO much of the work that had been done in the past looked just like my friend Drew Struzan's art, and doing more of that was for me a big "no-no".

Hey Catwoman. Good to see you here too. LA is going to be terrific.

Like you, I am also trying to get the final costing nailed down. Being in Australia, I am entrusting my prints to people thousands of miles away but for whom I have the utmost respect. The downside is that it still means that I will not see the final prints until I get to the USA on the 20th May... As a rule I NEVER hand over my work to others, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, it is impossible and terribly expensive to drag 250 prints half way around the world! The only alternative for me was to ask patient friends to help.

My original painting is over 4ft tall, so I have reduced the print size (I figured there is only a little bit of room left on people's walls, and if the reproduction is too big might then it might be a big problem for most collectors). I have ended up with a print that is 39.5" x 9" on tight-weave, 100-pound dull-finish coated stock. I am adding an aqueous coating over the top of the print which gives it a satin sheen and it will also help prevent scuffing.

The digital file will arrive in Riverside CA tomorrow and as soon as I have the final figures I will post a price. I am hoping for around $50.00 - $54.00

23. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    Hi, Mark. Thanks for explaining the reasons for the prices of each artist's art. It definitely appears to me that the fans are being more than fairly considered and treated when making these decisions. :)

It would be great to have your paiting in the size of your original painting. That would really be cool, but I do understand why you have went for a smaller size and the size you have decided to go with is still a really nice size. I definitely have my eye on the painting you have created. Great art! :cool:

24. Moff_D

Aug 3, 2002
    I can certainly understand the costs that go into making the prints, but with the large travel and housing costs we have already we won't be able to get some of the prints we really like. Many are in the same boat and that's just the way it goes. ;)
    The more local people are luckier in that regard in that they won't go in with those expenses and will have more to spend on the goods. Still, its always good to see the art and meet the artists. :)

25. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    Right you are, Moff_D. The previous two celebrations were around 15 miles or less from me and my wife's home and we didn't have to pay for a hotel and plane tickets and that can absolutely make a difference in the money available to spend at the celebrations.

Obviously for this celebration, my wife and I are flying there and back and are staying in a hotel from May 23rd through May 28th. Those are expenses not applied for us for the last two celebrations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.