main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

C-IV Art Show Information

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Amidala Starkiller, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean_Walsh

Sean_Walsh Jedi Master star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    I *think* (don't quote me if I'm wrong :p ) they were selling containers and tubes and such at the register at C3's art show...

2. RAATS

RAATS LFL Artist VIP

Apr 14, 2007
    I am looking into getting some tubes, but I can't guarantee anything. It can add a huge cost to almost each artist's $$ outgoings which in turn, can make it very hard to break even on an event of this kind.

Something to consider is that a supplied tube can end up being a bit of a problem for the collector. Typically the tube will be small enough for only the artist's single print. A collector can then end up with a lot of small tubes, which can be a bit of a mess to carry and keep safe.

If you go to your local hardware store, you can purchase a length of PVC piping (used for plumbing). The pipes come in various diameters and if you choose a fairly large diameter, then you can place a number of prints inside - with the larger size of the pipe allowing for a looser roll-up of the poster, thereby limiting the possibility of crumples and folds. The added benefit is that you can purchase screw-on end caps for the pipe which means you can seal the contents closed, keeping them both water-tight and safe from other damage.

For those like me who are travelling thousands of miles by plane to get to the convention, the PVC is also extremely strong and this means you can store your treasures in the baggage hold, without the fear that it will get squashed.!

3. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    PVC is a great idea! You could transfer all of your posters into and pack it into the suitcase easily.

I have an achitect's plan tube that has a strap on it but it is still prone to getting crushed if it goes in the suitcase. At CIII, I carried it on the plane as one of my carry-ons.

I may check out taking a piece of PVC instead!

4. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    I have a problem with the fact that hardly any of the prices are listed for the prints. I want to try an reserve some of them but I'm not going to do so, unless I know I can afford them.

5. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I agree.. I keep looking for pricing to go up..

6. DarthSnuggle

DarthSnuggle LFL Artist VIP

Apr 6, 2007
    I'm looking into poly tube bagging, but not rigid tubes for transport. It'd add FAR too much to the prices of each piece. Not only would we have to buy the tubes, we'd have to get them to the show, for each of our 250 prints....

Allison

7. miarama

miarama Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2006
    Are you buying multiple posters? If so, you might as well buy your own tube before you head out to CIV. Make sure that it has a decent diameter size so you can fit several pieces in it & have it only count as 1 carry-on, see Mark Raats' explanation above.

A few members over here and on the Rebelscum board stated that at C3, the poster tubes sold out. You also do not know what type they are going to sell & I am sure it's going to be overpriced. Don't get stuck in a position where you are forced to ship your prints home, because I already looked up how much UPS will charge to ship them - $40. Better be prepared than sorry.

JediJustin's strategy at C3 was to unroll the prints from the original tube that they came from, and placed it in the tube that he brought with him. So if you are going to buy more than 1 print, definitely bring your own & don't rely on having the Artists provide them for you because I'm sure if they provided tubes, it won't be durable enough for travel.

I just bought a 4" diameter telescopic-type poster tube with lock at the Blick Art Store. It has a shoulder strap and is made of a tough plastic type material. It only cost me $20!

The brand name is RAPIDESIGN by Chartpak.

8. swabie2424

swabie2424 Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2007
    Great advice on the poster tubes. I also just tracked down a telescoping, locking tube. Got the Safco 3.5 inch diameter, 40" long, locking tube.

Also... as far as pricing... I don't mean to promote here... but please check this site out. I'm the staff editor. If posting a link is not okay.. mods please delete with my apologies. Just thought it might be helpful for everyone. Many of the artists (about 30 I believe now) are posting there daily:

Art Forum at GGC

http://www.gentlegiantcollectors.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

Link to the thread with images, sizes, prices:

http://www.gentlegiantcollectors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2267

9. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    No problem, those are great links - the images look terrific.

10. swabie2424

May 5, 2007
    Thanks.

BTW - that was my first post here. I'm Pete aka swabie. Many or most of you know me from GGC, Rebelscum or maybe SideshowFreaks. Glad to be here. Long overdue.

If anyone ever has any questions about Gentle Giant... please feel free to contact me. I'm always up to speed on that stuff.

11. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Pete -- post in the social thread and mention GG. You'll probably have some takers :).

12. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Im still wishing my favorite Artist will hurry up and post what he is charging for his print!

13. Mark-Brooks

Mark-Brooks Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2007
    If the pricing isn't up there you can always e-mail the artist inquiring. I can tell you mine is 20"X 30" on heavy matte finish archival card stock and will sell for $50 signed and numbered or $75 with a sketch on the print. Also, if you'd like to reserve a print you can e-mail me at markbrooksart@msn.com with your full name and when you plan to pick it up.

BTW, happy to finally be here!

best!
    -Mark

14. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    WOW...Monte Moore

I LOVE THIS PRINT...SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM, SO LITTLE MULA.

Maybe we can use Republic Credits....lol

I dont know who to choose, I may just put all the names in a brown lunch bag and draw the five I will purchase. I dont know what to do...and the wall space is also an issue, I mean none of these prints should be kept in a tube.

GOOD JOB TO ALL THE ARTISTS AND THANK YOU FOR LETTING US SEE YOUR TALENTS!!!

15. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    About the PVC pipe for poster tubs, has anyone thought that the Air line would kick your butt on site for having a pipe bomb? You know what Im saying?

16. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    They have Xray screening for baggage. They might ask to see what's in it. I had my bag opened once because apparently a jar of jam can be somewhat suspicious, but as it wasn't Grapes of Wrath jelly, the world was good :D

17. swabie2424

May 5, 2007
    Thanks, Mark. I've update your information at Gentle Giant Collectors Forum too if that's okay. (We'd still love to have you drop in over there and say hi.)

Also... I just updated information for Grant Gould, Adam Hughes, Mark Raats (including a great new image of his piece) and Monte Moore.

Lastly, I have size information for the prints of 26 of the 48 artists (that includes Ralph McQuarrie although he won't be there.) I have pricing information on 21 of the prints so far with more coming every day. Dave Seeley is currently there asking fans to weigh in on the size of his piece. Please stop and and let Dave know what ya think. I know he'd appreciate your feedback.

VK edit: Fixed the link.

18. swabie2424

May 5, 2007
    Sorry about the link problem.

Also... just updated Scott Erwert pricing and size info. $40 and 16 x 20 if my memory serves correct. There's too many... I'm in information overload! lol....

19. e-j

e-j Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2006
    I'm hoping to get all my artwork early and ship it all home via the UPS stand. I know that'll be expensive, but it seems the easiest way.

Question: what's a remarque? I've seen that mentioned a couple of times but don't know what it means (and Google wasn't very helpful!). Thanks.

20. RAATS

RAATS LFL Artist VIP

Apr 14, 2007
    Hey e-j --

Good to see someone from my hometown will be attending.

I sincerely hope you will come past and say Hi!

21. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    The formal definition: "A remarque is a small, personalized drawing or symbol that an artist adds (near his or her signature) on a print. The presence of a remarque increases the print's value." Robert Hendrickson is doing them, for instance; as he puts it, it is a "one of a kind hand drawn sketch on prints." He's doing one for me of Amidala.

22. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    Perth! I lived in perth for 8 years.

I miss the place. What a city!

23. swabie2424

May 5, 2007
    Huge update today at GGC. Updated image, size,price and/or title info for:

Cynthia Cummens
    Steve Anderson
    Allison Sohn
    Brent Woodside
    Brian Denham

More coming soon....

24. RAATS

RAATS LFL Artist VIP

Apr 14, 2007
    I knew I liked you and now I know why.... I've only lived here for 5 years, but its perfect. Look forward to seeing you in a week or so!

25. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    I haven't lived there for over a decade now. If you hang out with some of the SF/F/Swancon contingent now and again you know older versions of people I hung out with in University.

Man! I can't wait to talk Perth with you, the place has changed so much. If I was ever to move back to Australia that's where I'd go in a heartbeat.

In non thread derailing news...

I've had a few requests now for preorders, so I'm taking 'em

All details can be found here:
    http://www.flyingarmadillo.com/civ.shtml

I even have an ever so fancy form (ooo!). I do enjoy being a web geek sometimes.
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.