main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

C-IV MEMORIES (and speculations on C-V)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by ValedaKor, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. star-killer1

star-killer1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    I would be happy with Indianapolis myself, but then I am not more than 2 - 2 1/2 hours away.

2. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    Val, nice to see you are still around. I have missed ya girl!

Justin, you are such a tease...lol. Saying those words "brings warm feelings to my heart!"

Indy, as far as I am concerned would be fantastic. I can drive there in 6 hours and the hotels are just fabulous. I stayed at the Westin last time and boy was that a nice hotel. Not to mention food was not as bad as LA. I ordered Chinese to my room one night, pizza another, and went to the restaurant attached to another hotel one night. It was great sitting across the table from Peter Mayhew and David Prowse. We paid for their dinner and so we got some extra time talking with them. I hope next time I can take Carrie Fisher or someone on that scale to dinner...lol. It was sooo cool. My Mom called me in the middle of dinner and was screaming...Oh my gosh, are you serious? Because I told her I was having dinner with a couple celebrities...lol. Still to this day, she remembers that call.

Wow...Memory Lane...anyone else?

3. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I've changed the title of this thread, because Amidala gave me a great lead-in.

A couple of great memories from C-IV:

Spending the day with Anthony Daniels working his autograph line. We ate his lunch LOL. That's where I met Amidala! Of course, saying I met her there is not exactly correct -- I had about 10 seconds to say "oh my goodness, it's you!" and then it was time to start the line up again!

Going to the fan club breakfast and looking over at this guy and his very nice wife who was sitting next to me. Checking out the guy's name tag - "hmmm... Justin... where have I heard that name before?" [face_laugh] Then I say - "JediJustin? It's me, Valeda Kor!" He goes "OMG" or something such :) and we get up in front of everybody and give each other a big hug! I'm sure his wife thought we were crazy. That was a highlight of the convention for me!

I have Carrie Fisher stories, but they are from ComiCon, not C-IV LOL.

4. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    LOL - I am in total agreement with you there, Helen. The CIV FC Breakfast was an amazing atmosphere and was a major highlight of the convention for me, just like the Movie Marathon on Wednesday was. Sitting in that dining hall room with all my fellow SW fans - it was a feeling that I will never forget. And then getting to meet you at our table, well that was just a perfect way to top-off a great morning.

It's funny - I had basically forgotten that I was wearing all of those badges around my neck with my name on them. When I heard you call my name, I was like "How does somebody here know who I am?" [face_laugh]

You type these posts to these "strangers" on a message board, and then all of a sudden you get to meet them face-to-face in person. It was such a rush to get to meet you there at CIV. :)

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Another thing to bear in mind - any major American city with heavy tourist traffic will have hostels. Traveling doesn't have to be expensive if you do it right. Also, while in the US, look into ground transportation to save money. Amtrak is overpriced and provides terrible service, but there are a number of companies that run cheap shuttle bus services between major cities. For example, we have Chinatown bus companies in New York that will take you to Washington or Boston for about $20.

6. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Thanks for the suggestions.[face_peace]

In L.A. we did use the metro to get around. It was cheap, fast and seemed a lot easyer than to find parking spots around the city.

As for hostels I really can't live there. I need space and privacy. However once I have finished a couple of projects I will hopefully be able to stat saving the necessary money.:)

CIV was much to fun to pass up on CV.[face_dancing]

7. Amidala081499

Amidala081499 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 13, 2003
    Val...I so loved that moment! I was so excited, but you could prolly see that, as I would not shut my mouth...lol. I have to admit, I was more excited seeing you then Daniels...lol. Not that I dont love the guy, its just...I got to see my Val...(hugs)!

Another fond memory...was...having people come up to me at the con asking me to sign their badge. Well, the badge that we made for here...lol. I felt like a celeb in my own sense...lol. Looking forward to pushing out one for C5. Let's just say AT-AT's may be involved...lol.

Wow, so many memories are a flooding back. It is a necessity that I meet up with Justin and Di as well as Val again. I hope we can do lunch or dinner together!

Well, off to class. Last semester and I will have my Master's Degree....Yippie!

8. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    I was flipping through the newest issue of Indianapolis Monthly and notice alot of nice eating places that have opened after CIII in 2005 was over. Besides the French and Brazillian place I mentioned earlier. It look like downtown has a Cajun restaurant and a Morroccan Buffet. Don't know what Morrocco food taste like. I am sure someone must like it or they would not have one here in Indy. Apparently the famous, Sunset Tan tanning salon that has franchises all over Hollywood and L.A. that stars like Brad Pitt and Britney Spears use is expanding 20 locations including one in downtown Indy. That might give tourist a something to do while at a convention. They offer both tanning and spray on tans. Sounds like a little taste of Hollywood in the middle of the country. LOL!

9. quigonjaf1961

quigonjaf1961 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2006
    Sorry everybody that i havnt posted for a long time i have been ill and also i have had job worries,i think if it is going to be a 2010 C5 i think you will get an announcement round about April or May dont you think ?

10. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Nice to see you again, quigonjaf. Sorry to hear about your troubles, hope things are getting better.

I hope you're right about an announcement. I think the economic situation has thrown everything into a tizzy, budget-wise. I guess we'll see, eh?

11. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Happy to have you back 'round these parts! :)

This is a good question. The Baltimore newspaper article that was written back in July that talked about how Baltimore could be a candidate to host C5 mentioned that Steve Sansweet said an announcement on C5 could come within 6 months.

Well, we are past that 6 months timeframe, so hopefully Steve is able to stick to that timeframe and announce something in the coming weeks.

But if not, I would guess the April/May timeframe would be in line with announcing the next Celebration a year in advance.

12. Eledaia

Eledaia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2004
    Anyone else get the GenCon "Out of Bankruptcy" email?

"Gen Con Scheduled to Emerge from Chapter 11!

Gen Con LLC announced today that the US Bankruptcy Court of Western Washington has confirmed the company?s plan of reorganization and approved the company?s rejection of a hostile takeover bid.

?This is bright day for us?, said Adrian Swartout, CEO of Gen Con. ?The entire team is looking forward to 2009 and continuing our growth as a stronger, more focused company. Our emergence from Chapter 11 is a testament to the skill and perseverance of our employees and the strength of the phenomenal Gen Con brand. Everyone here is excited to begin working outside of Chapter 11.?

Since filing for bankruptcy protection in February of 2008, Gen Con has significantly reduced its expenses and increased its cash position. The company?s cash flow is positive and prospects have never looked better. Under the confirmed plan, Gen Con will pay all of it creditors in full over time and will continue to operate. A three-member Advisory Committee will assist the company and its board, and Peter Adkison will retain ownership. ?This is an extremely successful case,? said Shelly Crocker of Crocker Kuno, Gen Con?s bankruptcy attorney, ?largely due to the efforts of Ms. Swartout and her team, and the cooperation of the Creditors? Committee.?

Gen Con Indy 2009 will prove to be one of the best shows yet with thousands of events and hundreds of exhibitors. Gen Con attendees can expect to see all of their favorite programs such as the Costume Contest, Auction, Art Show, Family Fun Pavilion, eGame Arena and much more!"

13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Hmmmmmmmm, interesting that GenCon doesn't say anything about LucasFilm's lawsuit against them. And this is the first I've heard about a hostile takeover bid.

I suppose there might have been plans for a Celebration announcement, but between last summer and now the economy has cratered, so plans for any other events are probably on indefinite hold until things look a little better.

14. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Yep, got that GenCon e-mail, too. Nothing about the lawsuit, but then, such things are usually not out there for public consumption :). If they've managed to pay off their creditors satisfactorily, they've probably come to a tidy little agreement with Lucasfilm.

It's "hurry up and wait" time for convention announcements, I'm sure, as ardavenport mentioned.

15. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I would have to think that the GenCon/LFL relationship is over no matter what the financial status of GenCon is. Never say never though...

I'm glad LFL didn't rush into another Celebration for this year. Hopefully this will give them time to properly plan an ESB related event for 2010 and the 30th anniversary (ain't that what we are all expecting at this point? ;) ). On a selfish note, I'm all for a Midwest location especially Chicago or Indy. That would make travel significantly easier not just for us but for most of our SW friends as well. Wherever it is, I'm sure it will be a fine location. On the other hand, if Celebrations continue to be the same old, same old, I don't know how many we have left in us anyway. That isn't a knock. We've been fortunate enough to attend more than one Celebration so what can they come up with that hasn't been seen already? I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with (particularly if they can get that elusive Mark Hamill on the home soil :p ) but I do realize there are many people who have never been to a Celebration and want to see what all the fuss is about.

16. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I know what you mean, Moff_D. I think at this point those of us who are Celebration "alums" go just to say "hi" to people we only see at these events! LOL

If you're any kind of convention-goer, that's pretty much the way it is no matter what the industry. I know I look forward to seeing folks again... and again and again :).

17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Would anyone ever TRUST gencon again, that's the big question as far as any of their potential involvement.

In anycase - as soon as the date is even whiffed at or a city has more than the wishful thinking status, I'm there.

18. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Yeah, I can't imagine they would, either, DB.

19. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Long time Lurker... Not a frequent poster but here goes...

I think that a lot of people were disappointed that CIV, being in LA didn't pull more "big name" Star Wars stars... Like Hammil, or an appearance by Lucas, as we were gifted with in Indy at CIII.

But, I enjoyed it. I think I enjoyed Indy more, but that could have just been that I was used to it as I also attend GenCon... Who knows?

Traditionally, at least from CIV standards... They should be revealing the 2010 Celebration V... Empire Strikes Back Anniversary convention sometime around Memorial Day??? Perhaps?

I think that rotating towards the middle of the country or the East Coast is only fair to all the fans who want to attend...

But, LA did give them record attendees... I mean, we were giving people badges for different days than they were there for cause we ran out of Saturday/Sunday badges...

I just hope that whoever runs it and wherever they have it that we get to hear something soon???

20. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    So, no mention of CV at NY comic con?

21. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    No Lucasfilm presence -- Steve wasn't there, so no one to announce anything....

22. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Steve was at NYCC. He had an hour SW panel for "Where Were You In '99?" that was pretty awesome.

And he chatted for a few minutes with my wife and I after the panel up at the 501st booth on the Galleria Level.

I'll be posting my review of the panel (and a little tidbit on what Steve said about C5) on TFN later tonight.

23. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    UPDATE: NYCC Steve Sansweet Panel Reviewed

http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/New_York_Comic_Con_2009_120617.asp

24. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Great, Justin, I didn't think he was going to be there! Glad he made it.

Here's part of Justin's report that's apropos: "...but Steve did tell her [edited to say this is Justin's wife being referred to] to expect the official C5 announcement to come this summer. Steve said they want to keep the announcements released a year prior to the convention, so it appears that we will have to wait a few more months before anything official hits the Interweb."

So... announcement a year prior... in the summer... does that mean they're changing the time of year? Hmmmmmm.........

25. JediJustin

Aug 17, 2006
    Whoops, sorry Helen. Guess I should have just posted the excerpt from my story that dealt with C5 here instead of the link to the whole NYCC story.

I'm hoping "by the summer" means late May, like when CIV was officially announced.

I personally love the April/May timeframe for a Celebration. The brutal hot weather hasn't rolled in yet across the country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.