main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Cad Bane in TBOBF (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DannyD, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I know. Just referring to the fact that Abrams also didn’t let a very important character…die.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Who? He killed off both Han and Ben Solo.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Um…Palpatine.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Palpatine did die. Did you see the movie?

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Was the blinking light thing originated from the Ewoks movies? Cuz it felt like a life indicator (not dead, beep beep emergency) but when the family gets toasted in the Ewok movies isn't there a blinking light thing that indicates death?

6. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Abrams took a dead Palpatine (from ROTJ) and resurrected him (for TROS). He pulled a Filoni-Maul. I’m confused. Did that happen, or did I watch the wrong movie?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    He then killed Palpatine again.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Bringing someone back from the dead is different from not allowing your characters (ones you had a hand in creating) to die in the first place which is what Filoni is often accused of. But yes he then promptly killed Palpatine again so it doesn’t fit anyway. Also it was George who wanted to bring Maul back not Filoni. ;)

9. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I wouldn't be surprised either but I hope she doesn't purely because there aren't many force wielders who make it from the PT era through to the post-OT era and she is one of only three that we know of and the only one that isn't incapacitated in some way - Ahsoka, Grogu and (sigh) Palpatine. (There may be others but their statuses are all unclear)

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Sorry, just saw this response a second ago. I was making a joke about how Filoni doesn't kill his "Star" characters. I didn't think it needed elaboration, but I'll provide some since you gave examples to the contrary of my statement.

When George was in charge, he would insist on some characters dying, and Filoni couldn't tell him no, so it happened. Filoni argued with George when George told him that Ahsoka had to die, because "she can't be around during the OT". George actually DID mean what Yoda said about Luke being the last of the Jedi. All of the arguments about "Yoda isn't a perfect narrator" miss the point of the line. George had the line in the film to inform the audience what was at stake. There was no one else hiding in the wings, ready to swoop in and save the day if Luke failed. It was all on his shoulders. That is George's story. The guy who created this whole thing that we all obsess over all day, everyday. Once George sold the company, Filoni no longer had to adhere to that restriction, so "Ahsoka Lives!". His character was more important to him than George's narrative. And he exasperated the problem by having Ezra, another Jedi in training, survive into the OT era as well.

Now, I really like Filoni. I don't doubt his good intentions, his commitment to Star Wars, or to George. But, he IS precious about some of his characters. I have no problem with characters surviving, as long as I don't feel it interferes with George's story. And I feel that, in the case of Ahsoka and Ezra, that is what happened.

So, I make jokes as a way to release the pressure valve of my frustrations over Filoni's attachment to some of his "Star" characters, over the semantics arguments he's made to justify their continued survival, and over the fact that his projects always turn into "Six Degrees Of Ahsoka".

Fair enough, but I am.
    Possible, but in my opinion it wouldn't change the fact that Filoni has been too precious with her. And I say that as someone who DOES like the character.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Ahsoka was left alive when Lucas still had Lucasfilm. Him and Filoni did want a different ending for her character, yes, but the decision was made to keep her alive when Lucas was still there. So her being alive wasn't Filoni saying "Well, he's not here now". It was The Wrong Jedi, when she literally walked off into the sunset, which was produced when Lucas was still very much in charge. My point is Filoni keeping Ahsoka alive wasn't because Lucas was no longer there to say no. That's looking at it from quite a cynical angle, IMO.

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Ah, but you're forgetting that there were several more seasons planned (at least 3 more, as I recall), and many episodes written, when George sold the company. "The Wrong Jedi" wasn't intended as her final episode, or the end of the series. It became that briefly because Disney canceled the show. Ahsoka and the show still had years left, in George's mind. The intention was still to eventually kill her before the OT.
    Yes, I am quite open about my cynical nature. You've hit the nail on the head. :)

darkspine10 and Krueger like this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    This is such a measured post that really does a great job of hitting the nail on the head with Filoni's Star Wars. Ultimately though I am cool with the flaws as it is the closest we will ever get to getting more George Lucas Star Wars.

But, do we know George wanted Ahsoka to die in Siege of Mandalore? And how would she have been killed? Would Maul have done her in?

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree.

And, despite my jokes and early objections, I'm actually glad that Filoni didn't kill these characters off, because they're being used in interesting ways, in the time period between the OT and the ST. Since I was disappointed with the ST, and especially Luke's story, Ahsoka provides an opportunity for Jedi stories during this era that we don't know the ultimate outcome of.

And, as for Cad Bane, I have never objected to him being around. He's one of my favorites.

15. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    Ezra and Ashoka should have died before the OT, as they killed Maul (who enjoyed an overextended life). The time travel thing is also very wrong.

But whatever. There is a real war going on and people are really dying in Ukraine. There is no real distraction from that. Really terrible times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    We don’t know for sure it was Filoni’s decision to kill of Cad Bane, but even if it was I feel like he only allowed it because Cad Bane is a villain with little in terms of redeemable qualities. Could never see him killing off his faves such as Rex, Wolfe, Ashoka as they are heroes. Lucas seemed less biased towards heroes and was willing to kill them off more for the sake of the story.

I am pleased Cad Bane showed up in live action, but it was a bad decision to kill him off so quickly, also felt like it was really odd his blasters sounded so generic and he never used his rocket boots - I mean in nearly every animation action scene he appears in his blasters have that awesome unique sound and he uses his rocket boots.

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    He felt like a very credible threat. Looked and sounded great.

18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    ultin

Thats only until you do get the ultimate outcome. Unless the expectation is that the character has no stopping point and will just keep going. in which case it doesn't really matter if there is no ultimate outcome because getting one isn't attractive anyway.

19. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'd like to see him on another show, but think he should probably stay dead after what happened with Boba.

20. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    He was bad on this dopey show. Even that stupid walk in the desert coming and going was truly silly and sign of things to come,lol.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I was speaking specifically about Ahsoka, and whatever adventures she might have that we don't know anything about.

I'm sure Dave Filoni would like it that way.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am only like 30% sure Bane’s dead.

Darkslayer likes this.
  23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The only reason any of us are still alive is because Dave Filoni allows it, so just keep that in mind before making fun of him.

24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    You don't even need him to come back after this, Cad Bane now that he is live action can show in all live action before Book of boa fett. Kenobi, Andor, Lando and their spin offs.not to mention he will likley come back in Bad Batch season 2.

25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I didn’t care for how Cad Bane was wrapped up. If he’s l to continue to be prominent in Bad Batch, then they could have killed him off there once his role there was complete. Dont jump so many years forward in the timeline and have him make a relatively insignificant appearance and then kill him off there.

I feel like the creators should not assume that the people watching Mandalorian and TBOBF have also seen (or will ever see) Bad Batch or TCW, or vice versa.

And I’m also not a big fan of the idea of killing a character off then immediately going back and backfilling the past with stories of that character as they did with Han and Maul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk