main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Cad Bane in TBOBF (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DannyD, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes but the key difference was that Anakin was the main protagonist in the first 3 films.

And Kylo Ren just proves my point. I didn’t buy his redemption at all. He killed Han Solo, and we did not get to know him at all before he was evil.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    Sproj likes this.
  2. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    I agree, I think the ST might have benefitted by having Ep 7 begin with Ben still a good guy. Still, I don't know if they'd be able to convincingly fit a fall and redemption in three movies seeing as it took Anakin a trilogy to fall and another to be redeemed. I did like how they made Kylo Ren tempted by the light side tho, that was an interesting flip by the writers.

As for Cad Bane I feel he had a fitting death in an unfortunately mediocre series (IMO) but that he's definitely still alive. Normally I hate false deaths as it undercuts the impact of the death but since it happened in a mediocre series (again, IMO) I don't care so much and am sorta looking forward to seeing him again.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Kylo just cemented the meaning behind the entire saga. Redemption is possible so long as your not palpatine

4. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    No, Anakin already did that. My argument isn’t that it’s not possible. It’s just that it’s hard to pull of in a convincing way for every character.

darkspine10 and Sarge like this.
  5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Palpatine sits on shoulders and manipulates souls to his side. He is always above and ahead. Palpatine isn't redeemable, because he is technically the devil. And loves every minute of it.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Cad Bane behind the scenes.

Shadao, Krueger, Vasco_Rojo and 4 others like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Of course it was practical. What reason would there be to make that suit CGI? It's a cowboy outfit with some tubes and vambraces.

8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    And it looked practical... not sure how anyone could think it was CG.

Riv_Shiel and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I was sure the face was CGI. Amazing.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The face had *micro-expressions,* which I think my generation is predisposed to think are more reliably conveyed by CGI than puppetry… but we got bamboozled by damn good puppetry!

11. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I've noticed in rewatches that Bane never blinks. Not even once. Boba didn't need the gaffi stick, all he needed to do was kick some sand in his eyes and it'd be all over.

12. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Wait, what?

...WHAT?!

I was looking at a puppet...

WHAT

Is this... is this how the previous generation felt when they were marveling at this stuff?

Huh...

13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    They started with Planet of the Apes and continued with Chewie, the improvements they've made over 50 years to prosthetic masks and facial appliances means the use of CGI for situations like Cad Bane are largely redundant. The advantage you get from the natural expression of the actors performing against the creature performers just can't be replicated with an image created in a computer.

14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Either practical has got so good that people think its CGI. Or the alternative. CGI has got so good by today's standards that they can't tell the difference.

15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don’t think the number of films really makes a difference, IMO.

From 1983 to 1999 we didn’t know Anakin before the fall, and the redemption still worked for me.

It’s motive.

We didn’t have to know Vader before he fell, but we could understand Luke’s kindness and a father’s love for his son.

With Kylo, he kills his father, even though he doesn’t really want to, and he worships his grandfather and it never really is conveyed as to why, beyond he really wants to be evil even though he has doubts. And then when he’s redeemed its by someone unexpected.

I can understand a parents’ love for their child and vice versa, but I can’t really relate to or comprehend a girl showing never ending compassion to a guy that has done nothing but torment her and abuse her.

With Bane there has been no indication that he really cares about anything except money. I don’t think redemption is in the cards for someone like that. They redeemed Han but it was established early on that deep down he cared. Cad doesn’t seem to. But if money is all that drives him it does open the opportunity that he could fight on the good side so long as they pay him well.

I think in Tales of the Bounty Hunters Leia makes a suggestion to Boba about working for the Rebels as a business transaction. I thought that was a cool idea as a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I wonder if the Cad Bane mask uses the breather tubes to hide cables and motors that moved the facial expressions?

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I should have worded it better. It connected the sequels to the main theme of the original 6.

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Even if this is all we see of him in live action, Cad Bane was great. If he is still alive it could make for intresting storytelling.
    Bad Batch tv show will Probably continnue to use him as their main bounty hunter villain, maybe show early partnership with Bane and Boba. The only other live action i could see him in is Andor, Lando or Mandalorian if he is still alive. Maybe show him not working for the empire but the criminal syndicates.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    A new bounty hunter refference book from Hondo's point of view has put doubts on Cad Bane's death in Book of Boba Fett season 1. So maybe if Filoni and Faveru want can bring him back if they want to.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I was just thinking about Bane's appearance in BOBF and it made me think on canon regarding Vader hiring the bounty hunters in ESB. You'd have assumed the Empire could afford the best of the best; and yet of course Bane is nowhere in sight.

[​IMG]

Would there have been any reasonable explanation for that? Can't imagine that Bane wouldn't consider getting involved with the Empire just based on principles. What principles did he carry besides money?

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Maybe his rivalry with Boba is so bad that he won't be in the same room as him? Good question!

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    He was busy somewhere else.

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Working for the Pykes the hutts rivals

Last edited: Jan 9, 2024
  24. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    He was working with them that whole time through the OT era?

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Makes sense why he didnt work with Jabba as he did in Clone Wars or he run in with Boba.