main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    With all the wildlife, a hunting system would seem plausible. I'm not a fan of complex crafting systems so if there is one, I hope it is streamlined to be fun instead of just adding tediousness.

EDIT- you can definitely hit. They said you can even hit a butterfly with an arrow.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The initial footage we got was great, but this took it too a whole new level.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting- the timeframe to create an Amiibo from initial design to product release is usually 10 months to a year.

New Zelda Amiibo include Archer Link, Rider Link & a big Guardian with poseable arms.

[​IMG]

And new Mario series entries:

[​IMG]

EDIT- there's also an eShop sale going on this week now for E3- and it looks like there's a flat extra 10% off for My Nintendo users.

Decided to grab Fast Racing NEO and Typoman.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  4. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Those designs look great. Definitely getting the Zelda set and maybe Boo and Daisy from series II of the SMB line.

Fast Racing Neo is quite nice and can be difficult, kinda reminds me of F-Zero and Episode 1 Racer. I've tried the demo of Typoman which is fun. With the eShop sales in my region, I already own most of them.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll be skipping the new poses of DK, Diddy & Rosie (but I really do like that Diddy- it's cute) but getting the others (I prefer classic Wario to Smash's biker Wario so I don't mind getting him- and he'll better match Waluigi).

EDIT- Boo will glow in the dark, neat.

EDIT 2- New trailers:

6. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
  7. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    If you still have hope for a proper RPG Paper Mario game, watch this to put those hopes to rest.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, we've known for a bit that they've said the NX isn't intended to be a direct replacement for the Wii U.

However, rumors on NX's capabilities have put the system, IIRC, as being somewhere between the XB1 & PS4. So, it won't be at the same level as Scorpio or Neo and I think that's what they're saying here- that they're not trying to out-power the competition, which makes sense.

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Its nothing surprising by now. For the last... decade (?), Nintendo's avoided going head to head with the Playstations and Xboxes, at least in terms of graphics (and both systems are partially competing with PCs too. The Wii and DS were unconventional game machines and became spectacular successes. Nintendo has been trying to recapture that magic ever since.

I don't mind, I still like a lot of Nintendo's franchises, but that's not enough to make a console successful either. Nintendo's often gone with older hardware, and sometimes it worked out, sometimes it hasn't. We'll have to wait and see (and hope) the NX can turn things around. Zelda will be a good launch game for it at least.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, as someone who hasn't really played much of the previous games (though I did grab a copy of Thousand Year Door when it was cheap a long time ago that I'll get around to eventually) and who wouldn't notice the shift in mechanics, I will say that Color Splash doesn't look bad- a few of the levels seem creative so far and that horror aspect could be interesting depending on if they take it past the initial setup.

Actually, the weirdest thing to me is they have Mario throwing paint all over, which is the opposite of Mario Sunshine.

11. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    It's just that it's more of the same rhetoric that they used in the lead-up to the Wii, which ended up being vastly underpowered relative to its competition, that has me worried. I had hope that they would take a chance on going back to the GameCube strategy, where the machine was actually at a comparable performance level as its competition. It launched a year and a half later than the PS2, and was more powerful than it (but was beaten in performance by the original Xbox, depending on who you ask). Considering that the NX is launching firmly in the middle of a console cycle, three years after its competitors' launches, one should hope that it at least performs on par with the PS4. His remarks might be in response to the planned hardware revisions to the PS4 and X1, but even in that context, I think the most reasonable approach would be for the NX to offer a performance level that would sit somewhere between the PS4 and PSNeo. So that it at least addresses those developments to some degree, even if it doesn't entirely match them.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I mean, I agree on one hand- I'd love to see a return to the GCN era three-way race even if Nintendo ultimately lost it, if only to see a more level playing field.

On the other hand, there's simply no way Nintendo is putting out a $400-500 machine. And I don't think I'd ever want them to.

13. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    That's valid.

14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I am actually keen on Paper Mario: Colour Splash, it looks fun. I have heard impressions that things have improved over Sticker Star.

15. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    Oh my... that new Wario Amiibo looks awesome! I'm definitely snatching that one!

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

A free, stand-alone, prequel update to SK coming in the spring. It just looks fabulous. The different move set really changes things up.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Figured I'd post this here instead of in the Mario thread since we were discussing Color Splash earlier in here.

Interesting commentary series from a former Nintendo Software Technologies staffer (now with Riot Games) that focuses on the first 30 minutes of a game from a game design perspective. This particular one is about Color Splash and seems to detail some of the concerns some folks were pointing out over the combat system 9at least from a design perspective in terms of the number of steps needed to take an action and conveying the results of that action, etc).

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    The game's story, dialogue and art design is great and overall the game is much better than Sticker Star. If only the combat was more streamlined and not so drawn out, especially during the later levels then it would shine much better.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Got to play more of Wooly World on the U last weekend- the game is still easy but there are some very interesting ideas at play. The Special Stages, in particular, are very challenging (at least the first one is). Simple, but as potentially difficult as a Mario Special stage.

[​IMG]

I'm also particularly in love the Frame Chomp as a new enemy concept. They behave like a normal, free-ranging chain Chomp in their initial state (hopping around after you and bouncing up stairs and such), but if you spit a yarn ball at them, they get wrapped up and turned into a rolling ball you can push through objects and obstacles, or maneuver onto switches to open doors.

What's cool, though, is that you can eat/extract the yarn off of them to revert them back to their initial state so that you can lure them towards you to hop up stairs and other obstacles that their rolling form cannot pass over. Then you can yarn ball them again to turn them back into a ball to use. Going back and forth between the two is a really fun, clever concept spin to put on the familiar Chain Chomp. I really do love it.

Corellian_Outrider and Life like this.
  20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    So which is better to use, an SD card or an external disc drive, for storing VC games? I only have five games and after downloading, I have 20.1 GB left. I have the 32 GB Deluxe set with Mario Kart 8 pre-installed. I know that before downloading, that there's supposed to about 25 GB open to saving games.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I've all my VC games on one SD card of 1GB, works fine. Haven't tried external drive for those.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't recall if I've specifically used my external drive for storing VC titles. When I added on the drive in preparation for XCX, I kinda stopped keepoing close tabs on it. ;)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, I do plan to get more disc games as well. But I like to keep my options open.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Might want to prioritise getting the disc games over the next few months, price'll go up once Ninty stop making them.

Oh and definitely ensure you have Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles X one way or another.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Seeing that the "Mega Man Collection" is available for the 3DS, I don't have to worry about downloading the NES games on my Wii U and thus will still have plenty of space. But I'm still having trouble getting the Wiiware games to download. What are the steps to getting Wiiware games?