main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Calling all Phantom fanatics! (Back in theaters May 3rd!)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Hilal, Dec 19, 2015.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

Agreed! I've always loved how Star Wars weaves in these blatantly ridiculous and comical moments amidst the overall ridiculousness that's played straight up serious. The two go together like a tool box and Han's head.

2. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I just love this introduction between C3PO and R2. Watch Anakin how proud he looks. He even nods when 3PO is able to maybe first time (I think it is!) , introduce himself as "..I'm C3PO human/cyborg relations". This whole scene is so charming for yours truly. But wait...there's more.

[​IMG]

C3PO who's maker is Anakin, uncannily says "human/cyborg" ??? It's a double meaning here. It's got to be. Anakin later becomes a human-cyborg.

GL, Please come back. :_|

Bonus!!!!

I'm editing, cause I NEED to!

There is a brilliant juxtaposition between the "relationship" between C3PO and Anakin. There is this *conflict between their futures or their wills.

*See ROTJ and what Luke says to Vader.

Now here it is: [Drum roll]

"I can assure you. They'll never get me into those dreaded starships!" (3PO has no interest into getting into dangers).

[​IMG]

"You mean, I get to go with you in your starship!??" (Anakin dreams of flying and going to space even if it is perilous ).

[​IMG]

Then Anakin tells C3PO "well C3PO I've been freed and I'm going away in a starship" Anakin had to say that didn't he?. Rub it in. :p

GL, you are so wizard!

Cheers!

MJ

3. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I can't say it's the best because my rankings always change . It resembles the OT feel more than 2&3. And it gives me a huge nostalgic buzz. I sometimes have it on replay while I'm doing work at home over the weekends

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm watching "The Beginning". Everybody looks so young!!
    Ah, the good old times...

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  5. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    To the "untrained" ;) eye, this may not seem relevant (that or I'm spouting nonsense...although that also may be true:p ), but this TPM fanatic believes there's a connection to how good Palpatine is as a tactician and master planner when he encourages both Padme and.....Maul!

Palps here, assures Padme:

Now we will elect a new Chancellor. A strong Chancellor. One who'll not let our tragedy continue.

(Note Palpatine looking at her while talking, while Padme looking straight ahead.)

[​IMG]

and he's here assuring Maul.

You have been well trained my young apprentice...they'll be no match for you.

(Palpatine is speaking but looking straight ahead, meanwhile Maul is listening looking at Palpatine)

[​IMG]

Cheers!

MJ

Lulu Mars likes this.
  6. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I have always loved TPM. It has such a 1930s feel to it. I get why people hate it, but I loved it from day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The distinction is that Maul serves Sidious.

While Palpatine appears to serve Amidala.

MarcJordan, Lulu Mars and Darthman92 like this.
  8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Palpatine plays on Amidala's loyalty to her people, the main weakness in her he exploits. I see more of link to his seduction of Anakin.

It is hard to know what sympathies or desires in Maul he exploited to turn him, because it happened off-screen.

But anyway, I have long felt Palpatine's interaction with Padme in this movie is underrated. Kind of a far less direct manipulation of Anakin's future wife.

Notice on arrival at Coruscant, just before Palpatine's "There is a question of procedure, but I'm confident we can overcome it." Amidala gives Valorum - a man who is genuinely an ally to Padme in the Senate - the cold shoulder. It is pretty ironic that a man who actually cares about their plight is thrown under the bus in place of a sympathy-feigning Palpatine.

Darthman92 likes this.
  9. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Yes, this is true. However, let me explain what I'm trying to get at.

I didn't think of what kind of Zabrak Maul was before he "met" Sidious. Interestingly (just thought of this), that Maul is the only Force user who is clearly aware that Sidious his Master is Palpatine the Senator! [face_dancing] However, I am referring more to "well trained" aspect. So he's trained Maul to fight Jedi but I feel he's buttering Maul to be over confident, knowing very well that one Jedi likely to kill him and then Palps can influence that Jedi to the darkside and take Maul's place.

In the end it is Obi Wan being the one to kill Maul, yet, yet, there is this kid called Anakin that does amazing things! Thus Palps taps him and says "we'll be watching your career with great interest" . So Palps may be spoiled for choice here! :D Interestingly, it is Obi Wan that is almost seduced by Dooku. So Dooku may have been aware that Sidious could be eyeing Obi Wan and instead usurp Sidious by getting Obi Wan to join him.

So here we are. This is a great point. Let me explain. Palpatine knows who side Padme's on, so he "trains" her about the Political machinations going on in the Senate. So much so that he is able to put Amidala in a spot. Death of her citizens or go for Valorum's head. :eek: But the thing is he lies to her to say "that won't let our tragedy continue". After all we see in ROTS all hell breaks lose. And the thus the "Evil Empire" appears eventually tightening its grip on the Galaxy. Death of the Republic (a tragedy) that includes Naboo under the grip of the Galactic Empire.

That's right. So I think that Palpatine is able to train Padme (it only takes say a matter of 2-3 days max!) convincing her, training the "ways of the Senate/Politics" .

Hence that why I said "to the untrained eye" Maul and Padme are connected ( granted in unusual ways) in that sense. One more thing...both Maul and Padme are young (and naive?) .

MJ

10. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    That is indeed an interesting aspect of Palpatine and Maul's relationship, but don't forget that Dooku in AOTC is well aware that his master is also Senator Palpatine. And like you said, he tries to recruit Obi-Wan in AOTC knowing this. Plus in the ROTS novel he is disappointed that Sidious wants Anakin and not Obi-Wan, as he has more respect for Obi-Wan's class, relative to a young brat like Anakin. [face_mischief]

My reading is that he was happy with Maul as a part of his grand plan, but improvised when Maul was defeated. I suspect he knew or hoped Anakin would replace Dooku from early on however.
    I think Palpatine's assertion Maul would outmatch the Jedi was actually genuine. Unlike his ironically untrue claim that Anakin was no match for Dooku in ROTS.

Agreed.

True. You could say he is subverting one tragedy - potential war - in place of a greater one, the galaxy's loss of freedom and Anakin's fall.

Interesting link. Although Palpatine pretends he is below Padme in terms of power, where we know his true intentions are for this to be a temporary thing.

MarcJordan likes this.
  11. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Day/Night matte comparisons too good! Brought to you by Phantom Phanatics 'R Us =P~ :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bonus:

Setting sun matte close up of the first pic. Note the birds frolicking. Earlier shot, they're fluttering toward the palace.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

MJ

Subtext Mining likes this.
  12. Michael Corleone

Michael Corleone Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2017
    The Phantom Menace is firmly my 2nd favorite Star Wars film. I probably can't enunciate every reason, but here are a few that come to mind:

-I think it's the best from a visual/audio standpoint, which was always one of the franchise's strengths in the first place. The colorful diversity of planets showing us different scales of society, including some lovely landscapes (especially everything about Naboo). The visuals, mixed with a charming but atmospheric and operatic musical score gives the film a very enchanting quality. I also think it has the most smoothly designed and choreographed action sequences. The podrace and the lightsaber action throughout the film is fantastic. The lightsaber scenes feel more professional than any others in the franchise, and the podrace is perhaps only 2nd in terms of vehicular excitement and spectacle to A New Hope's climactic battle.

-I think it's the best standalone feature, but it's also unique and fresh in the overarching story. As a standalone, it's just about the only Star Wars film I feel I can watch without needing to see other entries to feel complete in the story. But it also does bring a lot to the overarching story by laying the foundations for what's to come. I enjoy its unusual prologue-like role in the overall structure, which makes it stand out even more freshly.

-It's one of the most subtly rewarding entries, being simple on the surface and yet conveying a lot of hidden complexity. I never feel like the movie wastes time. Each part of the movie gives important insight into a pillar of the Republic's society. The characters themselves inspire a lot of respect and likability from me, and they're perhaps my most liked overall Star Wars cast. They're often stoic, intellectual, and mature, but still convey diverse and meaningful figures in the development of the story, without necessarily being overly "obvious" about it. (And the occasionally colorful characters also bring a fresh blend to the mix as well.)

-In contrast with the adult and intellectual overtones, it's also balanced out with a childlike innocence at its heart. The movie's lighthearted traits remind me very much of old Disney classics (both live action and animated). It gives the film a warm pulse on its own right, but also an undertone of tragedy in its relation to the rest of the saga.

13. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Just watched the PT again last week, and I'm convinced now more than ever that it's the best of the three.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  14. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I watched TPM less than a week ago. I may have to do it again today.

Darthman92 and MarcJordan like this.
  15. Binary sunset hermit

Binary sunset hermit Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2017
    When I first watched Episode 1 The Phantom Menace, I was looking for connections to the OT and I remember leaving the cinema disappointed that there were not many connections, only obi one and Yoda spring to mind. Then I went a second time and realised what an amazing film it actually was.

Everything seemed fresh and colourful, even the sand on Tatooine seemed to be several shades of brown. Naboo was such a lush and beautiful setting and Coruscant Shiny and a very modern sheen to it. The battle droids and Jar jar were comic relief from the political strain but the politics added to the movie and made a great starting point to the downfall of the Republic.

New characters such as Maul, Padme, Shmi and Nute Gunray gave new areas and stories to explore, these then expanded to more and more characters to be introduced. The more I watched the movie the more characters I found.

But overall what was exciting for me was knowing that Palpatine was Sidious but how was he going to rise to power, I asked myself. But even then there were parts of the film that led me to think is this the same guy? Until the wipe them out, all of them line, and the obvious link at Qui gons funeral. Some great acting skills again by Mr Mcdiarmid.

MarcJordan and Darthman92 like this.
  16. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    From the get go, when TPM introduces Senator Palpatine, he's seen as a hologram. But wait! We may not have noticed but the way GL masterfully portrays this initial introduction is nothing short of brilliant. Why? What is MJ talking about? Let me tell you.

"The negotiations haven't started because the Ambassadors aren't there? How could that be true? I've had assurances that the Ambassadors did arrive. They shall... negotiate... Ambassadors....."

Notice how the hologram deteriorates (statics and all) and the last split seconds of the disrupted message. His body contorts like a snake. And eventually before the end of the transmission there are two Palpatines!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now there are two of them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GL is showing us something's up with Palpatine and beyond doubt as we know now he was the real Phantom Menace. Slithering, obfuscating, double dealing, rotten to the core, corrupted and pure evil, weaving his way to creating the Galactic Empire. The Ultimate puppet master! What a start to the Saga! :cool:

TPM : The Puppet Master

GL, no one should ever doubt you.^:)^

Cheers!

MJ

17. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Oh, and the way that Padme's image ripples on the screen. Those are tremors in the force manifesting themselves as interference in the Naboo to TF ship communications.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    MarcJordan, you really have a talent. Whether something like that with Palpatine's holo was intended or unintended, I'll never watch the scene the same way.

MarcJordan likes this.
  19. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I have a strong suspicion that if it was intended it would have been well known by now, either by Lucas or one of the animators.

Still an interesting way to watch a movie...I just think a lot of these things are mere coincidences.

20. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Your negotiations seemed to have failed ambassador ... The negotiations never took place!!
    :p [:D]

MarcJordan likes this.
  21. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I agree the visuals of the film are great, specially the podracing sequence (damn realistic). George Lucas did something great by making each planet unique, that's something I missed from JJ Abrams' directing.

But (this is PT, there's always a but) the rest of what you said is concept. A mysterious sith warrior, a brave young queen and the greed leader of the trade federation blockade are all great ideas for characters... not very well executed. Maul is evil we don't even know why, Padme is too robotic at some points and Nute Gunray's accent is annoying.

Ian McDiarmid is a genious and you are right about him.

22. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Of course it's your opinion and its a completely fine one, but we didn't know why Tarkin, Jabba, Vader or Palpatine were evil in the OT and we don't know why Phasma, Kylo, Snoke or Hux are evil in the ST. Also yes, Amidala has a very "formal" tone but even Leia had that in her faux-British in ANH and some monotone in ROTJ.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sithblade11 like this.
  23. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Tarkin: he literally destroyed an entire world
    Vader: *force chokes you*
    Palpatine: by watching ROTJ we know he ruined Anakin's life turning him to the dark side
    Phasma: she killed villagers without remorse
    Snoke: wants Luke dead
    Hux: destroyed an entire SYSTEM

Now remember I don't want to bash the Phantom Menace, I like many aspects of it. This is my opinion after watching it for the fourth time. One thing I'm sure: George should have added more dialogue for Maul to speak. Yeah the man wears black and has got an awesome double lightsaber but we could have more.

24. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Oh I thought ya meant by motivation. Cause still, we don't know why then. Vader, Phasma, Palpatine, Snoke, Hux are all still one dimensional villains who are evil for being evil.

Maul's motivation is said in one line: "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at least we will have revenge."

In terms of action? He tried to kill a child and he succeeded in killing a Jedi Master.

25. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Wait, wait... There are people in here who have only seen TPM four times?!!

The horror...

The horror...