main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Discussion Calling all Ultra Stressed Jedi Students - a 20 year reunion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit', Aug 5, 2019.

1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    A very, very, very long time ago in what feels like a galaxy far, far away there was large round-robin fic called Ultra Stressed Jedi Students. It was a huge deal back in 1999 (yep, you didn't misread the date that's correct). Basically there was, over the course of a couple of years, a large amount of authors churned out copious stories about a bunch of overly dramatic 'normal' students that were part of an exchange program into the Jedi temple. Each thread post count ran into the thousands and ended up being 5 or so books/threads so it was a lot of work. Unfortunately the board have eaten a lot of the posts but I've linked as many books as I can find below.

I came across the story line by accident recently (doing something random) and realised that it was 20 years ago that it first started and 10 years ago that we had a similar thread (my goodness I'm making myself feel very old) that spawned a new story arc that was just as dramatic and fun to write.

So I was wondering, if you were part of the old guard this is the thread to say 'hello', to rehash the drama times of old. If you weren't that's fine too. Settle down, pull up a chair and feast on all the soap opera your heart desires...who knows perhaps it's time for a continuing, continuing saga of the Ultra Stressed Jedi Students

Ultra Stressed Jedi Students - Original
    The Continuing Saga of the Ultra Stressed Jedi Students
    Ultra Stressed Jedi Students Part III
    Ultra Stressed Jedi Students Part IV
    Ultra Stressed Jedi Students Play Truth or Dare

Ultra Stressed Jedi Students - Return of the Exchange
    USJS Revival: A Renewal of the Insanity?

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Rangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Been awhile since I've posted in fanfic and while I didn't write in USJS, I remember it being one of the first stories I read.

And damn, reading bits again, and just seeing the author names really brings back some great memories. <3

Kahara, pronker, Kit' and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Yay Leona!!

I’m pretty sure you were in the first thread although not for long. I’ll try to find the page for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I started reading the first one and it's hilarious! I have no idea how long it will take me to get through all of them, but believe me, I will. If I don't die laughing first.

Kahara, Kit' and Healer_Leona like this.
  5. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Yeah re-reading it kind of makes me want to start it up again but I fear I could not give it the attention it deserves and it really needs enough active writers to make the round robin template work

Kahara and Healer_Leona like this.
  6. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Wasn't a part of writing it, but certainly remember reading it! Gonna have to go back and read again.

Kahara and Kit' like this.
  7. Kahara

Kahara Force Ghost star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Same here, I used to read this series way before joining the boards. Started reading in the middle and never reached the end (as though there was one). :p The USJS universe and its spinoffs really got me interested in the potential of original characters in fanfic, along with various other shared universes and OC sagas that were posted at the time. :)

Always enjoy seeing these older works -- it's too bad that so many longer stories have been lost from the truncation. (And before the panic starts, that's not a guilt trip to anyone -- it can't be fixed and I mean no blame to the folks who did their best on finding a way to restore the stories. There's not enough time in the world for individually fixing all those fics!)

Kit' and Findswoman like this.
  8. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Well the other night I started writing again on a another whim that maybe, just maybe we could try for one final try. It’s just got a little bit of polishing to go but I’ve got the start of a USJS prequel (we’ve done the standard, the sequel so we must do a prequel) set about 10 years before the original.

Same kinda concept - would anyone else be willing to pitch in? It doesn’t need to go at the absolutely frenetic pace of the first incarnation either.

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  9. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, I remember that one... back when the Mod Tower was just a cave...

Findswoman , Kahara and Briannakin like this.
  10. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    A cave Renata! That's luxury that is! Surely we had a shoe box in the middle of the road.

So I started a new thread. Not sure it will go anywhere but it was nice to write again.

You can find it here

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  11. Kahara

Kahara Force Ghost star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Nifty! :) I write at the pace of a frozen snail, so probably won't be a participant. But I'd be interested to read and see what people come up with for this.

Findswoman and Kit' like this.
  12. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Just join in anyway I’ll be fine until it comes end of term time when I get a flood of marking to do and then it’ll disappear for a bit but it’d be nice to have someone else along for the ride

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, we did, but I hadn't started my diet yet, and uh, we needed a bit more space...

14. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Y'all, I just finished reading the Truth or Dare thread. OMG, ROTFLMAO! [face_rofl]