main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

CALLING ALL WRITERS!!! Han Solo

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Miska, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    ::fits fingertips together and tries to look intelligent:: Interesting...very interesting...the 2nd to last paragraph held an interesting psychological insight :)

2. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Yeah, don't let the fact that Han is the most "down to earth" of the OT bunch fool you. He's a lot smarter and with a lot more depth than at first glance. I think it was in one of Luceno's books that had Luke remembering Obi-Wan saying that a Wookie wouldn't hang out with just anybody.

-Tim

3. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    Miska: Lol, its okay, I'm glad what I said was intersting, but I admit I went pretty deep there, what can I say? I have a Han Solo obcession. ;) :)

Darth tim: That is so true. :)

4. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    ::looks at thread in disbelief:: I HAVE A SECOND PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::does patented happy dance:: YAY!!!!!!!!

You know, I actually think i remember that quote Tim? And to be honest, most of the fighting and battles and technological stuff in the Star Wars books goes right over my head- I just read it for the character interaction and relationships :) Sad, isn't it? LOL

5. TheBiggerFish

TheBiggerFish Jedi Master star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    *applauds Princess1*

Until now, I didn't think anyone analysed and understood Han Solo as much as I did, now I know I was wrong. :) I never thought of the Bespin thing that way. Nice insight there. Not many people can give me a fresh view on my baby Han any more. Well done! :D

6. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Miska: Lol, I'm the same way, the character relationships is what I pay attention to, all the technical stuff about space battles and all that is sorta lost on me. ;)

TheBiggerFish: Oh wow, thanks I take that as quite the compltement, cause your sort of the Han Solo queen. :) Lol, yea, I'm afraid I spend ALOT of time analzing Han, he's my all time favorite character , no contest.

I'm glad that Bespin thing made sense to you, it wasn't just me. :)

7. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Wow, this advice thing is even more helpful than I thought it was gonna be- I'm learning so much :) Here's a new question for ya'll; not b/c I really need help with it, but because I'm interested to find out what you're gonna say:

Does anyone have any perspectives or thoughts to offer on Han's character as relates to his relationship with Leia? How he was before and after, and how you think it changed him (apart from the obvious mercenary smuggler to nice guy). Any thoughts?

8. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Lol, I'm glad were intersting to listen to. :)

Oooo I LOVE that question, I write practically exclusivly Han and Leia, so this should be fun. :D

How did he change when he met Leia apart from the mercenary/smuggler to nice guy? Well actualy, I don't think even that commonly stated change happend.

He was always a nice guy, but he'd been forced to hide it. Leia just brought that aspect of his personality to the forefront.

As Carrie Fisher said about the character of Han Solo :"I would describe him as a cynical, mercenary space pilot--but with the cream filling you know. He's a nice guy."

I have described Han Solo as a fallen idealist, and I believe that is a key factor in his relationship with Leia.

Leia the very picture of a idealist, especially in the OT where she and Han first meet. She allows nothing and no one to compromise her ideals and beliefs.
    She is very strong minded, determind, and has a sharp biting wit.

In many ways this description could also describe Han Solo, except for the fact that his idealism was long buried, practically destroyed. I always got the impression he could have been much like Leia if he had had the same life and upbringing that she did.

But he did so two simular personalities (his and Leia's) diverged in two oppossite directions.

So at the surface many would say that their relationship was the a example of oppossites attract-and at the surface thats true.

But really I think it was more of a case of kindred souls recognizing eachother past the surface. They are like oppossite sides of the same coin.

They plain and simply just complement eachother. Han is cynical, Leia always seems to find hope in everything, like Jacen's "death" for example, Leia beleives he's still alive, and so Han believes to, but for Leia's sake.

She sort of gives him back his hope.

Leia takes life, and everything else rather seriously, Han Solo manages to find humor in everything, (although with him it is more likely a survival tatic, laugh or cry, type of thing) and so I think he sort of helps her to learn to laugh, to play.

Another element very centeral to their relationship is the fact that neither one had allowed themselves many attachments or much of a personal life.

Leia because of polotics and her beliefs. She put others and her goals far above herself, almost neglecting her own emotional well being for the sake of others. And example of this would be how she pratically brushs of the destruction of Alderaan, not really allowing herself time to greive.(This is a traite rather simular to her own mother, Padme, if you look you can find many parrels between Han and Leia's relationship, and Anakin and Padmes). Also because she cares so much for others, she can never really live up to her own high goals and expectations. Her failure always leads to her being hurt, so she emotionally distances herselves from others. Yet she nevers stops trying to meet her ideals.

Han on the other hand also had distanced himself from personal attachments and relationships, but for tottaly differnt reasons. Not only were the reasons differnt, so were the effects. Unlike Leia, he did not hold unto his idealism, he gave up. He stopped trying to be better to be "respectable" (this is one of his main goals in the Han Solo trilogy).

Not only did he stop trying, he went tottaly the other direction, falling back into his habits of smuggling etc. But yet his idealism does managed to manifest itself in other, smaller ways. His friend ship with Chewbacca, his refusal to have anything to do with the slave trade, despite its financial rewards etc. But he also shut himself off from emotional attachment because of his natural sensitivity.

So when he and Leia finnaly admit their feelings for eachother, its a huge thing. But of course it takes them a long time to aknowledge their feelings, they fight against what they both feel, which manafest itself in their nearly constant bickering.

Lol, anyway, I have alot more to say (I always do when it comes to Han Solo!)

But I have to go to a clas

9. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Wow Princess. What a great mini essay :) LOL I knew I could count on you!

Anyone have something they'd like to add?

10. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    I have to admit, I analyse Han more than I analyse Han/Leia. I would probably benefit from knowing as much about Leia as I do about Han. But I'll take a shot at it.

I think originally, Han was attracted to Leia because she didn't take any **** from him. "I don't know who you are, or where you came from. But from now on, you do what I tell you." He started to respect her. I think that respect for a woman is a huge thing with Han. If he doesn't respect the woman, the relationship can't work.

That's why I think he left Salla. As soon as she started talking about settling down and getting married, he lost respect for her. He also realised he wasn't ready for marriage. At least not to her.

That's also why I don't think he and Bria would have worked. He didn't respect her, he wanted to protect her and make her better.

I think his relationship with Leia is a balance of those two things.

He loves Leia enough to let himself get 'tied down' by her. He loves her enough to marry her. He loves her enough to stay with her. But he also has a huge amount of respect for her, and realises she needs to do things on her own. That she needs to be given space. But at the same time, he has strong protective feelings for her. He realises, also, that while she is fairly strong physically, and emotionally, her body can only take so much. When she gets to her limit, he makes sure he's there to pull her back from the edge, keep her safe.

I can't remember which book it was in, but someone blew up the Senate Hall, and Leia was walking around the wounded talking to people and trying to help, while she herself was bleeding from her ears and was getting weaker by the second. Han found her, picked her up and took her to a med station. He loved her. He respected her need to see if her friends were OK, and respected her for looking for them. But he was protective of her enough to know she needed rest and medical help.

And can I just say, that while I don't know much about Leia. I think the NJO authors are doing a TERRIBLE job of her. She's only 48 and they're acting like she an old, weary woman. SHE'S NOT!!!!!!!!! grrrr....

11. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Nice analyzation TBF. I have to agree with you on the NJO thing- I'm about to start reading "Star by Star", so I'm not all the way through them; but I'm really unhappy with the way they've portrayed Han, Leia, and their relationship. I don't like to see them unhappy :) And what's with them killing off Chewie? They can't do that! And I know Anakin's gonna die- they can't do that either!!! It's so unfair.

Just a random question, about how much older than Leia is Han? Does it say so officially anywhere? I have another story idea that just might germinate, depending on the answer :)

12. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    In the beginning of the Han Solo Trilogy, he was 19. And that trilogy spans a period of about 10 years, ending at the cantina scene with Luke. So Han was about 29. But Luke and Leia were about 18 (I think) which is why Han kept calling Luke 'kid'

13. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Wow, great reponse TheBiggerFish! :)

I tottaly agree with you, the NJO has tottaly messed up Han and Leia, they kill Chewie, tear up their relationship, treat Leia, and Han like thier old, and who KNOWS what else!?

It really flusterates me. And what really flusterates me is this; At first they ignored their relationship, or any romance at all, and when the finnaly responed to the protest againts that, they sorta tried to fix that problem, but now Han and Leia never seem to have any real importance to the plot or to any of the missions/problems in the story!

Grrrrr it makes me so mad.

Uh yea......I'm done ranting now, I had to get that out of my system. :p

14. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    I know!!! Grrr! Off the top of my head, I can name at least 10 fan fic authors who have done a better job with Han and Leia than the pro-fic.

Present company included, of course :)

15. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Han Solo, to me, is one of the most complex characters in any movie, ever. I don't think I understand him, but I try.

To me, Han's been through so much in his life that he's built up a wall, built up this whole fakeness about him that he's this rough and tough mercenary. And this wall was broken down when Han fell in love with a pretty little princess, but there are still fragments of that wall that will never be swept away; he'll always a streak of cynicism, his dark, sarcastic humor, his dislike of politicians (aside from Leia, 'course)...

Throughout ANH, Han's character really grows - moreso than any character, in my opinion. Overall, I think Han has a problem with commitment. He's afraid to let himself be vulnerable and open to people, probably because he doesn't want to get burned and he doesn't want to grow soft on himself (I think it has to do with male egos or something, lol). But in ANH, he's obviously growing attached to Luke, and probably Leia, too. That's part of why he comes back in the Battle of Yavin. He's a good guy, after all. He doesn't want his friends blown to bits, and Han DOES have a conscience - Chewie, that is.

ESB is definitely my favorite movie, because Han's character is taken to wonderfully different levels. No longer is he a simple big-mouthed smuggler who actually has a heart. First off, he's stuck around the Alliance! That shows *something*. Everyone seems to have their own ideas as to why Han stuck around, but I think it had to do with a certain princess, heh. Anyway. The fact that Han's stayed for so long shows that he is indeed loyal and hard working, that he's a guy you can ask to do you a favor.

In the first few minutes of ESB, a side of Han not really expressed in ANH is shown. When he says goodbye to Leia, you can tell he's truly sincere when he says, "Well, Your Highness, I guess this is it." It's KILLING him to say those words. He doesn't want to leave Leia - he loves her, and he has for awhile (in my opinion). But he's got to go, and well, he's got to say goodbye. But he's really not expecting her to snap at him, and he's truly hurt when she does.

Later on, Han saves Luke, once again showing his loyalty and soft-side. Then, we have Han/Leia falling in love, which is just so beautiful. There's a real gentle side to Han after he kisses Leia. He's more mellow, and he can calm down, now that he knows Leia pretty much feels the same way for him. One of my favorite scenes is when he comes into Leia's chambers on Bespin and she's rambling on about Threepio. Han just kisses her forehead and sits down on the couch. And when Leia pulls the "And then you're as good as gone, aren't you?"-line, I LOVE the way Han doesn't say a thing. He tells her everything with his eyes - how sorry he is, how he wishes it didn't have to be like this, how he really does care for her...

Once Han is realized from carbonite, I think he has one of those moments where he evaluates his life and realizes how lucky he truly is. Then, he joins the Alliance, reaffirms his relationship with Leia, and ROTJ plays out. Sadly, not much character development's in that movie. I mean, the scenes are adorable, but he doesn't really "grow," to me. I like how he joins the Alliance, but I think he did it more for Leia than for anyone. It's like, "Hey, I'm in this with you till the end now." And there's the scene where Han's willing to move aside to let Leia be with Luke - THAT is true love, if you ask me. Willing to sacrifice your own happiness to see that the person you love is happy...

Along with Chewie, I think Leia really shaped Han. I think he fell for her because she was "unattainable," per se. She was a princess, a senator, Rebel leader, and some almost worshipped her like a goddess. Not only that, but she pretty much seemed to hate Han, lol. It's like that saying: "You want most what you can't have." Leia wouldn't give him the time of day, which made her all the more irresistible.

Han and Leia's relationship is interesting because it's different. They s

16. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Wow Puggy, that was great!! Can't wait for your Bespin story- I know it'll be awesome :)

Everyone go check out Puggy's story "The Best of Us"- the link's in her sig and it's really great!! Warnings, though, it's definitely a tearjerker :-(

17. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Oh my gosh puggy, that was amazing! I'm so glad that there are other people out there who adore Han and Leia as much as I do!

18. TheBiggerFish

Mar 26, 2001
    We band of Han Lovers.. :p

Puggy *applauds* nice interpretation! Han's character is so wrapped up in Chewie and Leia that the easiest way to see who he really is is to see how he is with those two people.

Thanks for reminding me which book it's in. Now I have to go back and read the book, just to see Han being so lovely. *sighs* shelter from the NJO storm. Tatooine Ghost promises to be interesting, to say the least. I'll be interested to see if the author can interpret Han and Han/Leia as well as we seem to be able to. ;)

19. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Thanks for reminding me which book it's in. Now I have to go back and read the book, just to see Han being so lovely.

I know! I was quite satisfied with the way the author portrayed Han and Leia's relationship--they actually SEEMED married. One of my favorite paragraphs is at the very end, when it talks about how Leia left her quarters with her hair down, and Han smiled at her. It said he made her promise she'd come back home ASAP, 'cause the children wouldn't be back until the next day!

Tatooine Ghost promises to be interesting, to say the least. I'll be interested to see if the author can interpret Han and Han/Leia as well as we seem to be able to.

*SPOILER ALERT*

From what I've read, Troy Denning is trying to clean up Dave Wolverton's mess, known by most of as The Courtship of Princess Leia's Clone. I read the excerpt about a month ago, and Leia seems quite regretful for having hurt Han. It also explains how ticked off Han is--and the Isolder deal was the reason he resigned his rank as general, because Mon Mothma and company wanted Leia to marry Isolder... *Shudder* Hopefully TG won't be some action-fest book. I'm sorry, a little action--an X-wing fight, a lightsaber duel--here and there is okay with me, 'cause I can just skim through it and get the jist of it all. But I'd really, really like a Han/Leia book that focuses on their relationship. I'm not saying I don't want a plot, but I don't want Han and Leia being all business-y the whole time... I want "I love you"'s and not "Okay, my next mission is Blahblahblah and yours is Yadayadayada..." or whatever.

*END SPOILERS*

TheBiggerFish, I think it's amazing that most fanfic authors--people who write about Star Wars characters for FREE because we LOVE doing it--know the characters better than most of the people PAID to do this...

20. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Oh my gosh I am soooo dieing for TG!
    It better be good though, because if another star wars author comptely butchers Han and Leia and their relationship I will be ready to give up that they ever will.

Actualy, I think the fact that its fan fic authors who write Han and Leia better, not the paid authors makes alot of sense. Sure the regular star wars authors love to write, and probably like star wars as well. But can you honestly say that they spend as much time and love on these characters as we do?

I can pracitically guarntee that they don't spend all this time analzing Han and Leia like we do, knowing their characters and the books they appear in by heart.

I can pratically guarntee that they don't care as much about the characters, and I'm sure they aren't doing what we're doing right now in this thread! :p

Anyway, we fan fic authors have more pratice writing star wars characters. ;) :)

Really, I just think our love for the characters shows through in what we write. :)

Not to knock the star wars authors or anything, their professionals, most of them are good (there are a few exceptions where I have doubted it though....) but I suspect they are picked for their ability to write exciting action sequences and stuff, not character relationships.

Wouldn't it be beyond cool in George Lucas came and looked at the fan fiction boards here and hired someone to write a star wars book? :D Lol, okay, unlikly, but we can dream right? ;)

21. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from, Princess1. But I think they SHOULD have an understanding of the characters and the relationships. I've heard all they have to do, really, is watch the movies and read TTT, which, to me, isn't enough. I think they should discuss the movies, think about the characters--much the way we do, here. That's probably the reason we better grasp the characters...

Action, like the X-wing battles and lightsaber duels, is only a part of Star Wars. Relationships have so much to do with everything... If Han hadn't cared for Luke and Leia, what would have happened at the Battle of Yavin? By changing a relationship, you change everything.

It just amazes me that for free (I don't personally pay for internet access, lol, so to me, it's free...) I can read a Star Wars story written by someone my age, and it will end up BETTER than a 500 page book I paid $7 for and was written by someone twice my age!

I would LOVE to write Star Wars books for a living. Granted, I would have to do a TON of research, and practice a lot with other characters, since in fanfiction I write primarily Han/Leia. I would really, really love to write a pre-ESB book about the adventures of Han/Leia/Luke/Chewie and the Alliance... A book about all the missions they went on together, the romantic tension between Han/Leia, Luke's growing Force skills, and all the bases the Alliance has to go through... I don't know, I think it would be fun if I could do it, but my writing's no where near good enough to be professional...

22. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    I know exactly what you guys mean- I miss H/L in the pro fiction...I'm always complaining to my sisters that I want a relationship novel...and no plot sounds okay to me :) And yeah, Puggy, I'd love a pre-ESB novel like you described- sounds like a dream come true :)

Since I'm home sick, I watched ESB this morning, and just wanted to drop by with a little observation.

I love how in the beginning of the movie, Leia is SO uptight- I mean, even her "Why are you still here?" sounds angry! She's so high strung and she it seems like she doesn't trust Han, and she's barking out all these angry and sarcastic questions and comments ("Closer?!" "This bucket of bolts is never gonna get us off the ground!" "You're not actually going INTO an asteroid field!?") And then as the movie progresses, after The Big Kiss :[face_sigh]: she seems so much more mellow, more laid back- it's as if she's finally opened herself up to love and life- and even though she's always trusted Han with her safety, now she's starting to trust him with her heart. When he says that they're going to Bespin she doesn't argue with him or snap at him or anything...she just lets go and trusts him unconditionally- and isn't that kind of trust the basis of true love? I just think they have such a beautiful relationship, and nothing the pro-authors write will ever spoil it for me.

The medication that I'm on has made me a little drowsy, so maybe I'm not expressing this as clearly as I should be...but you guys get my drift, right?

23. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Sneaking in to UP! this thread :)

24. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Hey fellow Han Lovers! :p I'm back. :)

I went on vacation, but I've reaturned to discuss Han again, what could be more fun?

puggy: Yea, I tottaly agree, they should know, and take time to study the characters, but quite frankly, most of us have had YEARS to do this. Not the shorter they have to do the books. But that isn't a excuse for them to slack of on characterization.

miksa: Oh, no fun being sick, I hope you get better. ESB huh? That one's my favorite!
    I tottaly know what you mean, Leia's way uptight in the begining, its like Han sorta sets her free, in a way. I want a relationship novel in the books as well A HAN AND LEIA relationship novel. I'm hoping for Tatioone Ghost...

25. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Hey, btw, does anyone here have the new H/L "Valentine's Day" comic? What do you think of it? I'm gonna buy it tomorrow, is it worth it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.