main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CALLING ALL WRITERS!!! Han Solo

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Miska, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    no I don't have it, there is no where in my area to buy it. :(

2. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

I'm waiting for mine to come. I ordered it on Thursday from a website called Things From Another World. It's not cheap, though.

3. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I've been to the bookstores in my area and they don't have it :-( What's the address of that website, Lady Padme?

4. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002
  5. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Thanks!! I'll keep trying my local book stores, but this will be my last resort :) Anything for romance!!

6. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Just upping this thread :)

7. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Ehh, I suppose I will offer my input:

I think one of the best parts about Han's character is his thrown together type of personality. While Han and Indiana Jones are very much the same, Han's a little rougher around the edges and a little more uncouth. He has a natural edge to him and he always has a caustic comment for everyone.

Most of this can be attributed to his Corellian past which treated him pretty harshly. He's a dynamic character that was raised to be a scoundrel practically-- but this doesn't make him inherently so. When it boils down, as best illustrated in A New Hope, Han is not just a mercenary, though he likes to think of himself as one. He grew up in an atmosphere and lived situations that taught him to not care about people-- because that's how people get hurt. Therefore, this explains why he was so hesitant to stick out his neck for anyone.

There are so many different aspects to Solo. Like his punned name, he acts like a loner, and he didn't initially even plan to be involved with Leia. She irritated him, rubbed him the wrong way, so that just gave him more reason to irritate her. And before you know it-- they fall in love. Besides the fact that Harrison Ford is insanely attractive ( ;) ), it is plausible to see how Han and Leia did fall in love. He was a fresh perspective for her from the nobility and social worthies, and Leia was a woman with class. Much as Han must have had flings with women of ill repute, it's Leia that brought out real love in Han.

They're a perfect dynamic foil for each other, and although some might believe this is because "opposites attract," that is not entirely so. Leia and Han share something in common, they have unfamiliar pasts and found each other in their desire to do good for the rebellion (though Han may not ever admit that). They're both two very passionate people, although both have different ways to express it. Both of them are agressive, and both enjoy power-- Leia in politics, and Han with a blaster at his side.

He's a cynic though, and that makes him unique in the world of Jedi that are highlighted by Star Wars. In ANH when he tells Luke "May the Force be with you" he means it sincerely, but he doesn't believe it. That's just monkey business that he doesn't understand, and doesn't want to understand. And with a wife, brother in law, and kids with Force powers, it's fair to say that Han isn't a happy camper. But he takes it well-- I almost picture him as the Dad watching football, eyes never leaving the tv and drinking a beer while the Mom and kids rush off to a dance recital or a soccer game. Han's a laid back person emotionally, and he's reluctant to show emotion. In ESB, the novel portrayed Leia wondering just why Han couldn't say one more word...why he couldn't have said "I love you" instead of "I know."

The barriers and walls prevent him from being completely emotional. He's able to save face and evade extreme committment. Did he love Leia at that time? Perhaps. Did he want to commit himself to that, or perhaps make it harder on her? Most likely not. While he certainly loves Leia, he isn't entirely romantic in the traditional way. You certainly wouldn't have Han reciting poetry or serenading his ladyship. As aforementioned, he's passionate, and displays this passion in an agessively tender way, such as the kiss in ESB. It is not forceful, but it is initiated by Han. He likes to be in control when it comes to love. But nonetheless, he is a very compassionate person; he just has a more difficult time showing this to others. Han will be rare to admit he's wrong.

So recap:
    1. Han's sarcasm and cynisism which comes out best in dialogue is his essence.
    2. Han is not quick to show feeling, but does in fact have many.
    3. Han is hardly the infantile male, and in fact a very masculine character-- but also has enough sensitivity to help others.
    4. Han Solo is bold, and passionate. This is best shown in actions.

AAAAAND that was really long, sorry about that.

-Arna

8. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Hey Arna,

Very good anaylisis (I agree with you about Harrison Ford by the way. ;) )

And it wasn't to long, very intersting actualy. Han really is very differnt from most of those in star wars, especially the jedi, and that is part of his appeal.

Also the fact that he is very direct, if he doesn't like someone or something he doesn't pretend to.

Of course, sometimes he's less then honest with himself.....

I liked your insight about his relationship with Leia, how he isn't exactly "classically romantic" but that doesn't mean he doesn't feel deeply, quite to the contrary, he feels things very deeply, he simply expresses them in ways natural to himself, not flowerly courtship,poems etc.

What can I say? I love Han to death! :p

9. Tara

Tara Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    Wow, that was a great post Arna. I'm very impressed :)

10. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    You people all seem to know Han pretty well; I've been working on a story that pretty much centers on him(it's in my sig), and at the risk of seeming to pimp my story, maybe you'd like to check it out? I'd especially like some ideas about the romance developing between him and Mirax in it. You'd have to read it to understand why that would make any sense at all. It's pretty AU, but I *think* I'm staying true to all the characters.

Y'all seem pretty into Han Solo(and heck, so am I, he's my favorite character, period), so maybe you could check in on it, make sure my characterization is up to your standards :) It's a little long, but if you've got the time...

11. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    Nice, Arna!! Hey, if it's about Harrison/Han Solo/Indy, it could NEVER be too long!! I loved reading your insight into Han, and it sounds like you really understand him!

12. Tara

May 4, 2002
    I'd like to read it Coota..but I can't read anything that pairs Han up with someone other than Leia ;) I'm such a die-hard romantic...

13. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Oh gosh I'm sorry, I can't stand to read Han with anyone but Leia, even Bria was difficult, but I deal with it because he hadn't met Leia yet. I'm such a die hard romantic. :p

Well, my favorite star wars is ESB, some of my favorite movies are Princess Bride, Moulin Rouge, A Walk to Remember (lots of others to, LOTR for example, but I do love mush.. :D)

14. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    Hey, I love Han and Leia too; but the guy had a different temperment before he met her, fell in love with her. I'll admit that the romantic quotient of my story is a little lower than that of everything else, but it looks at him just after Yavin(only with the Empire winning, and Leia broken and helping the Rebels flee to the Unknown regions), well before he could really fall for her.

Personally, I hated Bria. I don't think Han would have stood that abuse. I liked Brian Daley's Corporate Sector and Tion Hegemony trilogy a lot better, where Han ends up with a different girl every book ;)

Before he fell for Leia, he was a lot more like Indiana Jones, I think; falling for any girl who was moderately pretty and liked adventure. My book kind of catches him in that transitionary period as he changes from that to something else.

But I understand; as I said before, I couldn't stand Bria. However, I think that's more because Bria was a total moralistic jerk.

I have been told that I've caught his characterization by most of my readers; I really would like you people to read it; the romance doesn't even start to bloom until the fifth chapter. I mean, give it a chance, and ignore my description. Pretend I didn't say anything ;)

15. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    The Han/Leia Valentine comic was wonderful. [face_love]

Han Solo is also my one of my absolute favorite SW characters (sorry, I can't have just one :p). He, along with R2, in ANH, are what made me fall for the SW genre. :D

I find one of the hardest to write though. I guess because he's a complexity wrapped in Harrison's body... [face_love] :D

Anyway, I wish I could add something, but I think others in here have done a good job... :)

16. Tara

May 4, 2002
    Have you guys thought of a Han/Leia Resource and Support thread, like the other couples have? I would love one, personally. There are so many good Han & Leia fics, and yet I have trouble finding them all because the Fanfic Forum moves so quickly, and I only check it about once a week usually.

It would be very helpful for people who only perused the Fanfic forums occassionally, as well as provide a support and resource base for Han & Leia writers to help each other out.

17. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

Tara, there already is a thread for H/L fics. It was started last fall by Princess 1

Han and Leia Archives

Coota - I've read a bit of your Scoundrel Chronicles and it is well written, but I couldn't get far because of the fact that there was Han without Leia. Sorry...just anathema to me to have him with anyone else. It would be like reading about my husband and some other woman. Blegh.

18. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Yep, like LadyPadme said, their is a han and Leia resource/archive, I started it but I've been a naughty girl and haven't upped it in awhile. (blush)

Actualy, maybe I better do that...

The Han and Leia comic was good? Cool, maybe I'll have to break out the money. :D

19. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    Heh, I always preferred the Brian Daley books when Han was without Leia and running around the galaxy with Chewie. After he got married to Leia, it kind of felt like he got emasculated. Same thing with Bria. Love em' and leave em, that's the Han Solo for me ;)

Then again, I'm a firm believer in perpetual bachelorhood ;)

20. LadyPadme

Sep 26, 2002

You're too young, Coota. See if you feel the same way about perpetual bachelorhood when you're my age. James Bond is only cool because he's being played by different men. Sean Connery, wonderful as he is, would seem pretty pathetic playing a still single 007 at his age. Old bachelors are the ones who go home to an unmade bed and a faithful doggy. Much better to find the love of a good woman before then.

21. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    You see, that's why I love it in *fiction* ;) Archie Goodwin wouldn't have been nearly as cool if he actually *aged* in the Nero Wolfe novels by Rex Stout.

And isn't Sean Connery still playing single playboy roles at his age?

22. Tara

May 4, 2002
    Oops! Thanks LadyPadme and Princess1. Do you think we should try to have a list of all the current H/L fics on the Fanfic forums in it like the L/M thread?

I looked through it and noticed that most H/L writers don't announce their fics in there, which makes it difficult to find them...

I like your characterization of Han, Coota, but I would have set the story pre-ANH. I personally can't see Han leaving the Rebellion and Leia after he's met her..There was definitely something there even at their first meeting. I also don't really see Han and Mirax in anything more than casual, but that's just me :) Like LadyPadme, I don't really like reading about Han with someone else, but especially after he meets Leia. Bria was bad enough...

23. Coota

Nov 2, 2002
    Well, as I've mentioned in my story, the Han/Mirax thing probably won't go beyond that; she's looking for a different type of guy, and he's looking for a different type of girl ;) And the only reason that I could see this happening is that the Rebellion doesn't really exist anymore, as a Rebellion, in this story: they're running away, and Leia isn't quite the same person she was at the start of ANH(or even the middle).

That's not to say that Han and Leia won't end up together eventually; it might be fate ;) This is supposed to be a multi-book series.

24. Miska

Apr 18, 2002
    this thread needs an up!

25. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    up it goes. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.