main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Callista Fans!!! (v.7 something or other...)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Ambassador Cara Jade, Apr 13, 2006.

1. jedi2187leia

jedi2187leia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    Just tell us where to vote Cara, and we'll be there for you!

I've been looking at some of the old Marvel SW stories (hard to believe its consider canon, but whatever keeps Lucasfilm in the green...), so I've been slowly piecing together a story.

C/L

EDIT: Page 111? Fantastic! [face_dancing]

2. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    Huzzah! Thanks guys! The competition will be taking place here, and you can PM the hostess Natasi with votes, starting on Thursday the 13th, after she posts the submissions.

Ash, I LOVE Into Thin Air. It's a great book, if you've never read it before. I think I've probably read it (or listened to the audio version) probably half a dozen times.

3. ashsecho

ashsecho Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2007
    I stayed up pretty late last night to finish it...amazing book! It's actually my dad's copy, so I think I know what I'll be looking for next time I go to the bookstore. I'm typically not as much into nonfiction, but this one is so well-written and so interesting that it grabbed my attention from page one and kept it straight through the end. I'm going to look for the audio book as well, which is my current source of entertainment for my morning commute to school, and for any road trips.

4. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Yeah, I've never been big on nonfiction books myself, but I really enjoyed that one.

Voting for the JC Emperor/Empress contest week one is up! Go to the link above and PM Natasi with your votes! :D

EDIT: But don't submit my name!!!! Voting this week is for eliminations. :p I kinda missed that.

5. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    Slowly but surely putting my story together. I've been slacking for the past couple of days, both on the computer and at home. Kinda enjoying my three-day weekend. Looking forward to Labor Day, as well as the end of August.

C/L Forever!

6. ashsecho

ashsecho Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2007
    Torn between trying to write, and reading yet another one of Barbara Hambly's fantastic novels...theoretically inspiration, but really I think it's a case of my brain being lazy and wanting to be fed, versus having to think up something. :) Currently, the book is winning.

7. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Ooh, that's right, Labor Day is coming up! I get paid extra that day! [face_dancing]

So far, my little one-shot is gathering steam and really building. I think you all will really like it. I hope so, at least.

And I've survived the first round of elimination in the Emperor/Empress contest! There's some question as to how the voting will go from now on, but once we get a clearer idea I'll let you know. You ought to check out the submissions, they're pretty fun!

8. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Well, my one-shot's becoming more of a novella, LOL...there may have to be some editing, or at the very least a Reader's Digest version! :p

9. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    I've got the same problem with mine; got to try and trim it or drop some of the plot to keep it as a one-off. Might not be easy.

C/L

10. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Yeah, I worry mine's going to have to be mostly exposition, but it may be nice to expand on those parts someday!

11. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Barbara Hambly's fantastic novels

while i am glad she created callista her novels were crap, specially planet of twilight

12. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    As you are of course entitled to think that, Matteus, I know most of us will disagree with you there.

I'll admit her style is a little more florid than other writers of the EU, which turns a lot of people off to her novels. I find it a welcome change. I really love her writing and storytelling ability, myself. I've even branched out and read several of her non-SW novels over the years, and enjoyed them as well.

Though she doesn't appeal to everyone, that's for sure. ;)

13. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    Well said, Cade; well said! =D=

C/L?Forever!

14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    you know she might be great over all. but planet of twilight and darksaber are coupled with Crystal Star as the worst star wars novels of all time. not just my opinion either. i did like COTJ though

15. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Yes, well, just because the general populace says so, doesn't mean that we agree with them. ;)

16. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    I remember Star Wars Galaxy magazine back in the day (circa 1994) and one of the early issues was touting 'The Crystal Star'; even though I read the author's interview and read an excerpt from the book, I still couldn't get myself to pick up a copy (even to this day). I'd rather read Darksaber over the entire NJO series any day.

But that's just me.

C/L

17. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Yeah, the Crystal Star is pretty lame. The NJO had some highlights, I won't lie, but it was just so sprawling. It would have been much more interesting if they'd been able to condense that down to 9 or 10 books, like they did with Legacy of the Force. Which is an awesome series, if you ask me.

18. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I read The Crystal Star many years ago and I don't remember the details very well, but I never really minded it the way everyone else seems to. I kinda like Lusa. I guess I just like my Star Wars light and happy. I don't have much interest in the darkness of the later eras.

19. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Some points were interesting enough, esp the parts with the kids--I liked Lusa as well, Tarsier, so it made me sad when we got that little part in Star By Star where they mention her being killed by the voxyn.

But over all, it was pretty lame. Almost as bad as the Black Fleet Crisis. ;)

20. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    And how many forests were sacrificed to print that travesty BFC? The pain is still felt to this day every time I see a chapter for sale at B&N. Luckily, I cover it up with a copy of CotJ :D

C/L

21. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Hahaha! Brilliant, Steve.

22. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    So, not gonna lie, I'm not 100% certain I'll be able to finish my one-shot by the 31st...

23. jedi2187leia

Jan 11, 2006
    Don't feel bad, Cade. Every night for the past two weeks, I've been coming home dead tired, burned out, and then got to put the girls to bed and get their stuff ready for the next day, and when I do sit down in front of my Macbook.... all I wanna do is veg out. (bad Steve!)

If everyone needs a bit more time, I can bump the deadline to the end of September, b/c I have a feeling by around that time, things should be calmer in everyone's lives.

I hope.

C/L Forever!

24. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Hahaha....my life doesn't usually calm down til November! This is the busiest time of year for me, LOL...but any spare time I have is going into either sleeping or writing. Tee-hee!

25. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i did think that Children of the Jedi was good. Luke in survival mode against a bunch of enemies. great stuff. i loved the njo though. funny how there is a huge group that loved the njo, and none of them are on force.net. well, besides me anyway