main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Callista Fans!!!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Callista Sunrider, Apr 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Callista only trained for five years, it says that much in CotJ, but there was far more knowledge available to her during the heydey of the Jedi

Luke was trained for 4 years... and while there was a plethora of knowledge among the Jedi, most of it was not available to Callista. She travelled around in her master's ship for most of her career, remember? A ship's databanks can only hold so much information... especially Old Republic ships. Add to that the time period in which she was a Jedi; the Clone Wars. Not a time for knowledge; most Jedi were busy planning strategy or recuperating from injuries instead of searching for knowledge.

Luke knew nothing of the Unifying Force versus the Living Force--Yoda didn't have time to cover that in his training. If you think about it, Luke would never have become a Jedi if desperate times hadn't called for it.

Callista made no mention of it, so there is no reason to think that she knew anything of it either. That also goes with the "unorthodox training" as well; maybe her master didnt teach her about the Unifying Force vs the Living Force.
    Besides, Luke now knows of the Living vs Unifying.

I think Callista did teach him a lot, and we know that she did teach some at the Academy while she was there. BH makes reference to Luke remembering how she taught Tionne how to use a lightsaber (which we also see her do for Leia, enabling her to kill Beldorian) as well as teaching all the students to use the sand globes and mind mazes they found on Belsavis

If I'm not mistaken, the sand globes and mind mazes were a specialty of Callista's... a certain talent, like Jacen's ability to communicate with animals. As for lightsaber combat... simple. It takes some getting used to, the blade having no wieght, but any simple fencer could easily teach lightsaber combat techniques. Because thats mainly what lightsaber combat is; fencing.

And welcome to the Callista Club, Robal_Krahl!

thank you :)

2. Darth_Rolek

Darth_Rolek Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2001
    NeoStar, I couldn't possibly have said it any better myself. That is EXACTLY why I almost hope Callista doesn't come back. If she does, it will be done so only to make the red-gold "wonder" look even better. Sigh, what ever happened to the Mara Jade Hater Club? It needs a revival or something...

Robal, you raise some interesting points. Unfortunately, we probably will never get solid answers to any of the questions about Callista's training. This is one of the reasons we're so disapointed that she got the axe. There was so much left unanswered...

3. Geith_Jiseo

Geith_Jiseo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 26, 2004
    The Mara Jade Hater Club was locked a long time ago, I believe. All the haters clubs (Mara haters, Bria haters, Callista haters, etc.) were condensed into one thread: The Haters Community. I guess the mods did this to prevent an overcrowding of threads.

4. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    it will be done so only to make the red-gold "wonder" look even better.

Honestly, I don't understand this animosity towards Mara Jade at all. Yea, its repeated that her and Luke "love each other dearly" and such... but that happens with virtually every character that was not paired up in the movie. Look at Jaina and Jag; Jag: "I like her, but I don't. I like her, but it's improper." Jaina: "Oh, he's so understanding... he's a complete mystery to me at all times, but I know him so well!"
    It even happened with Callista and Luke, a bit. Had they ended up together, we would constantly hear how Luke "loves her like no other."

I like Callista; she was a good character, well thought-out... but I just don't see her as a match for Luke. It was a little too cliche; the farmboy hooks up with the ranch-girl. I like the pairing of Mara and Luke, because it's an "opposites attract" kind of deal; and I've always been a sucker for "opposites attracting."

Personally, I would like to see Callista come back with the ability to use the Force. Think about it; she'd be a true Jedi Master by now if she had regained her powers. Lord knows the Galaxy needs to replenish its supply of Jedi :p

5. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I still don't want to see her back, is she's just going to be a throw away character or to be brought back as evil.

The dislike towards Mara comes from other things, not just people disliking her being paired up with Luke.

Check out there. http://boards.theforce.net/EU_Community/b10194/17818106/?346

There have been seveal threads on the like and dislike of Mara Jade. This is but one of the latest ones. I think the post from myself, Shelley, TF, and others should give a cleaar understanding why we and others dislike the characters. A lot of it is due to how Mara actually acts and how other characters are writen when it comes to the character. Its some very interesting reading I feel. Enjoy.

I can understand people like the whole "opposites attract" but I for one really don't care for that. I feel pairing those that are similar is the better way to go. Luke has enough conflict in his life, he doesn't need it in his relationship as well. Now Luke and Mara wouldnt' be so bad if they actually acted as opposites in their relationship. They don't, Luke is pretty much the doormat in the relationship. I know Luke is soft spoken but its sicking to read about the two of them. Reading about Mara being rude or nasty, being cold or making her smart comments, while Luke just things how lucky he is, and goes off to have sex with her while his students are off risking their lives and dying in the process. Luke is the head of the current Jedi Order and the top Jedi Master. For some reason, Mara thinks just because she is marrried to him that makes her as important and it does yet she tries to act it, it seems from how its coming across to me. I was so happy when she didn't get on the Jedi Council. Also there is nothing in the novels to show she has proven herself worthy or has earn her Jedi rank, other then simply being Luke's wife. The relationship is to one sided, which is one of the main things I dislike. There is no give and take. Its all about her. I can't stand that in real life, and I can't stand it in fiction either.

Maybe I'm just looking at the negative more then I should. Sorry I didn't want to turn this into an anti-mara talk. This thread should be about Callista, not Mara.

Okay, question. What if Luke and Callista had a child. Would it really be theirs or would it be Luke and Cray's since its Cray's body Callista has?

Personally I think it would be Callistas. Reason I feel that is that once she was in Cray's body, Cray's body actually started to change and alter, to reflect Callista more. That has to be a genetic change I feel. Some people that have a problem with Callista and the whole changing of bodies, feel they wouldn't want there to be child between Luke and Callista cause it wouldn't really be their child but I don't agree with that. Due to the change in the body, I feel that it would actually be her genetic child. The Force seems to work like, with her body changing and all.

6. Darth_Rolek

Mar 8, 2001
    My animosity towards Mara has more to do with what she does to Luke's character than the fact that she is with him rather than Callista. Mara did NOT beat Callista out for him, so it's not an issue of that. I don't like her because when he marries her, he's pretty much finished as far as being portrayed as even a shadow of his former self. There's so much wrong with what the writers do with Mara's character. She served evil, yet has the gall to lecture Luke about his former run ins with the Dark Side. She never pays for any of her crimes either. Even worse is the way she treats Leia. It's things like that that bring the animosity towards Mara. Callista has very little to do with it in my mind.

As far as you liking the opposites attract thing, that is obviously your right to do so. I personally have never been much of a fan of that. The whole point behind Darksaber was to make it so people didn't see Callista as a good match for Luke. I would argue that that was because her character was killed behind the scenes first, but that's another issue. I stand by my belief that the Callista portrayed by Hambly in CotJ was the ideal woman for Luke. And off course, you're welcome to disagree with that.

7. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    Agreed. The Callista that Hambly created is not the same Callista that KJA brought to Darksaber. To read CotJ, then DS, then PoT is like reading about two completely different people.

8. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Agreed. The Callista that BH created and the one that KJA wrote were like two completely different people.

About a child--I would say of course or she would be considered Callista's, because any molecular alteration that caused her eyes, hair and features to change would almost definitely alter her genetic structure as well.

Here's one for you: We assume Callista died at age 22, after having met Djinn Altis at 17 and training for five years. CotJ states that Cray was 26 years old at the time of her death. So...physically--because spiritually she's something like 50--how old is Callista when she is resurrected? Would she just pick up where she left off at age 22? Would she be 26 since Cray's body had already aged those 26 years? Or would she be somewhere in between? I've thought about this a lot over the last few years and never really been able to decide.

9. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Oh my God...how long is it since someone was stupid enough to double post? HAhahahaha...major feely...sorry dudes.

10. Geith_Jiseo

Dec 26, 2004
    Feely, Cara! :p

Topic? Callista rules! :D

11. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    There have been seveal threads on the like and dislike of Mara Jade. This is but one of the latest ones. I think the post from myself, Shelley, TF, and others should give a cleaar understanding why we and others dislike the characters. A lot of it is due to how Mara actually acts and how other characters are writen when it comes to the character. Its some very interesting reading I feel. Enjoy.

Ah, I see. Most arguments that I have seen (TF, mainly) address how "authors always have to try and force the love between Luke and Mara." Which is why I addressed that part.
    Another note is that TF and I... don't get along. I don't like her, and she doesnt like me, so I pretty much try to ignore her posts to avoid her getting herself banned again (i pissed her off pretty badly last time we had an actual debate...)

I'd go on about Mara, but this isn't her thread. It's Callista's. As such, I will try to create an interesting topic:

When Callisa was given Cray's body, it began to take on characteristics of Callista. If she resurfaced after all this time, would the body be completely transformed? Or would it still retain it's Cray-ness?

not an interesting topic, but a topic, nonetheless :p

12. Geith_Jiseo

Dec 26, 2004
    Well, I seem to remember (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I read the book, and I no longer the copy), in Planet of Twilight, when Leia meets up with Callista, there is a reference to the fact that "no trace of Cray's blond" remained in Callista's hair; her hair had completely become brown, her original hair color before she died on the Eye, I believe. So, if that was any indication (unless she just dyed her hair brown), I think that over time, if Callista did resurface in the post-NJO, she would look nothing like Cray.

Just my opinion, though. That's actually an interesting topic, and one issue that Cara and I never actually touched on in any of our stories. :)

13. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    I always just assumed that her original features would take shape over time. I guess that's why we never addressed it. It makes sense, though, that if her hair changed, then the rest of her would follow suit. I guess that's why I would imagine that their children would also contain her genetic material rather than Cray's. A Change like that wouldn't only be superficial, but all the way down to the cellular level. Her bone structure, her skin tone, limb length, etc, would also change over time.

14. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    Nobody's answering my age question... :(

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Don't feel bad. Everyone's ignoring my theory as to why Callista has no Force powers.

16. Darth_Rolek

Mar 8, 2001
    Sorry folks, I haven't been online as much lately. My break starts tomorrow so I won't be on much next week probably...

To answer your age question ACJ, I would say that Callista probably started over at 22. I figure if the body started taking on Callista's old characteristics, I would assume the age factor would eventually figure in. Spiritually, she would be around 50, but we already knew that! Those are just my opinions anyhow.

17. Robal_Krahl

Dec 23, 2003
    I had a though about Callista's inability to access the Force.In Battle Surgeons Bariss Offee talks about a Jedi Knight who had the ability to remove himself from the Force. When I read that it made me think of Callista. Does anyone think that she might be doing something similar and not realizing it? I'd like to see her reintroduced and see if she's made any progress in regaining her Force powers.

Could be... I always thought it was a type of trauma. Cray pretty much died on the Eye, and the shock of the spirit's death took it's toll on the body, hence why Callista cannot use the Force.
    In light of Episode 1, I figured the shock eliminated most of the midichlorians in Cray's body, or put them in some time of hibernation/suspended animation. The reason she could use the Dark Side, or even touch it, was because it took such a violent emotion to re-animate them.

But what Chancellor_Ewok said makes a lot of sense. With his theory, you can find proof of Jedi removing themselves from the Force, so therefore holds merit. It's happened before, whereas my theory of suspended animation/hibernation does not.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, we know that the Force can strip itself of a Jedi. I seem to remember reading about Ulic Qel Droma in Darksaber and how he was stripped of the Force as punishment for helping Exar Kun. The ability of a Jedi to remove themselves of the Force doesn't seem that farfetched, although Bariss Offee does admit that it is a strange Force power for a Jedi to have. but as I said I think its entirely possible that Callista is doing something similar and not realizing it.

19. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    I would imagine that Callista's powers were blocked by the shock of Cray's body dying and then becoming reanimated. Couldn't we say, then, that yet another near-death-experience might bring them back?

There are many theories: The incompatibility of Callista's Force sense with Cray's--something like organ rejection--is another one I've thought of.

It stand to reason, however, especially in light in what we learned in the NJO, that perhaps Callista didn't lose her Force powers at all. Perhaps her powers were simply translated to another plane--another level of the Force--that the Jedi hadn't understood. Would it be possible that Callista would have been able to sense the Vong through the Force?

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Maybe not through the Force per say, but she might have had a much more sensitive version of Jacen's Vongsense, in which case, yes she might have been quite powerful.

21. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    Hmm I'd rather not comment on the theory put forth as of what happen in the NJO. Nothing good has result from it in my opinion, epsecially an idea like that.

The idea that some change in her midichlorians (since they are apart of the films) as a result of her entering Cray's body and it changing sounds the most plausible in my opinion. Her going into the Eye, didn't cut her off from the force. She went from one body to another with out it changing. The fact that Cray's started to change and at the speed it changed makes me think that could have been a major part of her not touching the force anymore.

As bad as getting cut off from the Force would be, I don't really think it would have depressed Callista as much as we think. I mean she was stuck in the Eye for a long time. She was cut off from all life, save the beings the Eye picked up which was only recent I believe, I'd think she would be able to experience more then enough feelings, sensations, experiences that would have more then made up for the lost of her connection to the force.

I don't really get the feeling that she would or should have simply gone back to the Jedi Academy with Luke and stayed there, never going anywhere else. I don't feel he would or should have wanted to put her through that. I personally would like to think that he would have had more feeling and concern for her then to do that. Sure finding a way for her to regain her powers was important but to make that their main focus, so soon as she regained human form seems wrong. Its another reason I don't like how things went after COTJ.

I don't recall if she ever simply was given the chance to just enjoy being human again, like walking, runing, traveling, eating, etc. Doing so much could have taken her mind off the force. Allowing her to adjust might have let her powers reawaken on their own instead of them trying to force it. The constant focus on something that is missing would depress anyone I feel, that feeling could be side stepped, if even postponed until a later time when the person was in a better condition to deal with it.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    So you think she was trying too hard, then? I hadn't considered that possibility.

23. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    In way I think so. I mean, when Jedi start learning about the force and become open to it, its a natural thing right? They really have no choice in becoming force sensitive. Not as if you can go into a lab and make a person force sensitive I don't think. Then again that brings up the whole Jedi Outcast game. Not really certain on that. Anyway. As such, they wouldn't really have any choice in being cut off from it for whatever reason. Trying to reforce a connection by looking to resort it, might not have been the best thing to do. Nor really should it have been that important I think. I mean she was given a second chance at life, even if Cray hadn't given her, her body she would have died. So really, worrying about the force at tht time shouldn't have been a story focus I feel. That's just me though.

24. Ambassador Cara Jade

Oct 23, 1999
    That does make a lot of sense, actually--perhaps if she had let herself enjoy life and not worry so about her lost abilities, they would have returned in their own time. It's true that a Jedi could access the Force without thinking.

As a matter of fact, this very same thing happened to another of Barbara Hambly's characters--Jenny Waynest, the witch heroine of her Dragonsbane series. She was very powerful, until a great accident left her void of her magickal powers and horribly burned. However, over time, her talents returned--one day she simply lit a candle by looking at it, not thinking anything of it until several moments later, when she realized what she'd done.

There are a lot of similiarities between Callista and Jenny, actually. I imagine that Callista is simply another version of Jenny, one that would (supposedly) be more appealing to a wider audience. If this is truly the case, then perhaps we can assume that Hambly intended for Callista's powers to simply "grow back?"

25. NeoStar9

Mar 12, 2002
    Interesting. I didn't know about Barbara Hambly's other character. It does make sense if she wanted Callita to be a Star Wars version of Jenny Waynest. Looking at how you explained how that character turned out, makes sense to think that she would have wanted Callista to progress in a similar manner.

Callista getting Cray's body, Cray dying, the Eye being destoryed and her not knowing if she'd see Luke again has to be a seriously emotional event. Maybe an equaly emotional event would have triggered her connection to the force again. Like a birth of a child for example or getting married. I do think still, if she had been writen as simply enjoying her life, after all she more then earned a chance at simply enjoying herself for some time, her connection might have simply returned on its own. "Grown back" when she least expected it or became no longer concerned with it. It didn't have to happen right away or in a few years. It could have taken years or happen when she and Luke were starting to retire due to them getting up in age(like late 90s or early 100s).

Also I actually like it when only one person in a relationship is the Jedi to be honest. Like Han and Leia, Kyle and Jan, Anakin and Padme. There are a few others I think in the EU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.