main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 Camping Out...What's going in your backpack?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by jerejerebinks, Mar 28, 2017.

1. jerejerebinks

jerejerebinks Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 24, 2017
    Fair enough. Purchase made.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Thanks for that info. I was going to head out today to pick up a small fold up chair. I'll probably go to Dick's now to pick this one up.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I went ahead and purchased one myself. Been looking for a chair that'll fit in my backpack. Thanks!

4. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017
    Plan:

8pm-2am Put chair together.

2am-3am - Sit in chair.

3AM-5AM Get uncomfortable in chair and lie down on floor.

5am-6AM Disassemble chair.

5. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I'm still bringing a blanket to use in case I want to lay on the floor. just got to locate one that won't take a lot of room. I know I have some but I just moved so I have boxes everywhere

6. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017
    Same. I opted for a Han throw. Can cover up in the chair or stretch out on the floor a bit. I actually prefer to be lying down when watching a movie or reading, anyway.

Just not for 10 hours consecutively

Padme501st likes this.
  7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't know if I'd want to carry a chair AND a blanket in my backpack all day. Because realistically I probably wouldn't want to go to my hotel just to drop it off when the panel is over. I'll be doing that anyway towards the end of the day Thurs to shower and re-up for that night's line up.

But yea, alternating between sitting and laying down using my backpack as a pillow seems like the plan.

Docgeo and Padme501st like this.
  8. Alison Organa

Alison Organa Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2016
    Does anyone know if they have lockers for rent at the venue?

9. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    They have lockers yes. Now location, price etc I have no idea

10. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Ok looking at the map more, bag check is across security check before you go in to the Morning Queue hall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I went to REI earlier today and the collapsible chairs they had ran $80 and above. I'm glad I was able to see it though and know how these kinds of chairs work and that they can fit into my backpack. So I ended up ordering one from amazon. Not the one Rox linked, but one I saw on the same page that was a few dollars cheaper.

12. Docgeo

Docgeo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    Do you think we will have time to run our bag back to the hotel before having to get in line for the panel? I really don't want to carry it around all day or pay for a locker.

13. jphnc61

jphnc61 Jedi Master

Oct 13, 2004
    If you're staying at the Rosen or the Hyatt or something else close, yeah. You won't have as close of a seat as you would have otherwise, though.

14. Echosen

Echosen Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Just my 2c I'm not camping out myself, but it sounds kinda crazy to camp out all night, all that effort put in, to leave and give up a closer spot. How much could a locker run? Or go back to the hotel after the panel.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I agree with Echosen, if you really have to do that, do it after the panel.

At the same time, however, having a backpack with you throughout the day at a big Con like this can be really beneficial. So depending on what you have in there for the overnight, you may want to just keep it with you for the day. I mean if you have a ton of stuff in there from the overnight that you needed and would just be carrying around all day, than yea, go drop it off at your hotel (after the panel of course ;)). Even then, I'd recommend still keeping the backpack with you. But if you can pack light for the overnight and still have a good amount of room in your bag left, then you wouldn't even have to do that and can just keep it with you all day. Trust me, it comes in handy, just being able to throw everything in there and still maneuver around and go to panels and do whatever else you want, as opposed to keeping everything in your pockets and hands. You'll inevitably be buying things and getting freebies that you can put in there as well.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  16. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    So just to be clear (from one of the other threads) - the halls will no longer be locked between midnight and 5 am. You can enter (and camp out/whatever) at whatever time you want after 8 pm on Weds and Thursdays night. On Friday and Saturday night, they're only letting people queue up from 5 am.

Decisions. Decisions. Decision...

17. Docgeo

Oct 26, 2013
    Wait did I miss that information?? We can show up at anytime and get in line on Wed and Thursday?

18. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017

Apparently, so. The guide has removed all mention of locking the doors at 12.

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  19. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    It's on the celebration forum - the change seems to have been made in the last day or so, with all references to the halls being locked between midnight and 5 am, now being removed. I imagine that the nightmare of trying to wrangle hundreds of people at 5 am is what made them change their minds. Or the people who allegedly were going to line up at 2 pm outside the 8 pm lining up area.

I think in any case, it's good to have a plan B. Mine is that if I miss any of the big panels, I will be sure to get into the Celebration store with fewer crowds. The trailer will be on youtube within 5 minutes, as will the 40th panel so.. eh.

Valency Jane likes this.
  20. Docgeo

Oct 26, 2013
    So help me think through this. Does this mean the lines will form much earlier or later? I was planning on being there early on Wed but was gunning for around 11ish on Thursday. How does everyone feel this will effect the lines.

21. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Well... for me - I am happier now about turning up say - by 2 - 3 am on the nights (and having a nap in my hotel earlier).

I'm a tourist who only hears dodgy things about Florida on the news, so am a bit antsy about the security of the overnight halls - I would've been happier with the place locked down tbh.

22. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    The change really only applies to those who were planning on showing up at 5. Instead of a huge mob at 5, it will be a little more evenly split throughout the night. I'd think if you're there by 3am or so (maybe even 4), you're probably in good shape, but I'm just guessing.

23. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Yep.

I got wristbands to all the panels I wanted to see last year and the earliest I turned up was 4 am-ish. I am just wary that the crowds may be much greater so might turn up early at least for the 40th-anniversary panel (the one I care about the most followed by Mark's tribute to Carrie). If I do turn up at 8 pm, I would either then have to choose between forgoing a second wristbanded panel on that day for a good seat.

24. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Did anyone see any actual announcement on Facebook, Twitter, anywhere, that indicated the times have changed on when people can line up?

It seems like it was just a bunch of people who happened to notice the change being made on the Navigating Celebration page. If that's the case and such a big change was made that seems a bit lazy that they wouldn't make an official announcement for that.

25. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002

It's only a big change for those who were planning on sleeping over I suppose - most people won't be. Anway. You can always email them and ask, but honestly, I doubt that they will have a headline "BREAKING NEWS: YOU CAN LINE UP AFTER MIDNIGHT FOR 2 DAYS" ahead of content. It seems to me that maybe they just realised a tad late, that way too many people would turn up at 5 am than they could safely manage, hence the trickling in before business.

And here's another thing - you have to have your badge for Thursday before rocking up (I think again) so you need to have registered (if you haven't had your badge mailed to you earlier) - the registration desk closes at midnight so you need to be there to pick it up earlier on Wednesday.

They went to the trouble of express posting my badge internationally by priority mail this year so once more, I think that they were a bit caught out by the numbers and are obviously doing whatever they can to try and reduce the morning chaos on the first day...