main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 Camping Out...What's going in your backpack?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by jerejerebinks, Mar 28, 2017.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I kind of figured it was going to happen at some point. My thought was that it would happen right there on the spot as the staff sees more and more people showing up between those closing hours that they would just decide to forego the 5 am rule and let people in sooner. But, yea, I guess someone realized it too and went ahead and made the change.

Still though, I think it would be appropriate to at least put on Facebook that the queue hall will no longer be closed from midnight to 5 am Wed and Thurs night. I'm sure there are quite a few people who will still think that they'd have to be there by midnight before it closes. Hopefully word spreads around, as I'm sure it will at least by the day of. Just seems a bit lackluster that ReedPop would just change the guide to navigating Celebration like that as being the only way of knowing without saying anything about it, especially so soon beforehand.

Docgeo likes this.
  2. Docgeo

Docgeo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    Man I have been in the Army 23 years and will be leaving for Korea in May and I am putting more time and effort into plans for this weekend....lol! I am a crazy Star Wars nut I guess. My soldiers just always laugh at me. I think I might take the nap and shower thing at my hotel and then show up around three. We should try to organize a group txt to alert each other if it starts getting to crowded.

Ricardo Funes and Padme501st like this.
  3. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I will be happy to help with any group text if wanted and I will definitely update here. Still going to be there by 8pm

I think an announcement should be made but I think they don't want to advertise it, they just want procedures in place for people who show up between 12-5 without involvement outside. But if most people think they have to be there at 5 they are ok with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Docgeo likes this.
  4. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Live feed from inside LFL crowd control for SWCO:

[​IMG]

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm still going to show up around 8 but don't mind posting updates on the line. The fam and I will be there look for us :p

[​IMG]

jerejerebinks and Padme501st like this.
  6. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I'll definitely keep my eye out for you

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea, still going to line up right around 8 myself.

8. Docgeo

Oct 26, 2013
    Can we meet Wed night and figure out a txt group? I would love that for thursday night. I will likely just stay with you guys WED night.

Padme501st likes this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    That's fine with me. I don't have a smart phone though, and I don't know what the wifi situation is there for my laptop, so I'll have to communicate with people here ahead of time to figure out how to get into contact once the line actually starts. Figured I'd do that Wed afternoon when I'm just hanging out killing time before going to line up.

10. Echosen

Echosen Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    MotivateR5D4 my suggestion is scope it out early like you plan on and pick a meeting spot around the entrance, say a tree at x spot (something distinguishable). We did this a Coachella and it worked really well, we'd pick a time and spot for our group to meet (in this case it was a huge pretzel art installation). Too bad there won't be any super lg pretzel art installations in front.

11. jerejerebinks

jerejerebinks Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 24, 2017

The OCCC has wifi.

12. Obi-Wong

Obi-Wong Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2012
    Are sleeping bags allowed?

13. Docgeo

Oct 26, 2013
    You will have to hump that thing around with you during the day.

14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I was thinking something along those lines. I get in early morning Wednesday, so I'm pretty much going to scope out the area, get lunch, and wander around at first. I figured I would just spot something close to the line entrance that I could propose as a potential meeting spot. Then probably around mid-afternoon just go back to my hotel to get ready, see what others have to say here, and then head down.

Yea but I read somewhere that it's only available in certain rooms, and that the area the overnight line is going to be in doesn't get it. I was going to check with somebody when I get there.

15. Docgeo

Oct 26, 2013

I should get to my Hotel around 1630-1700. I was going to grab food and then also come and scope the place out.

16. OB-1 KENOBI

OB-1 KENOBI Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2016
    I'm planning on bringing a thermarest pad that rolls tight, but is still 25" long. Will I have a problem if it's sticking out of my backpack?

17. Docgeo

Oct 26, 2013
    All I saw listed was no cots or chairs( bigger than the break down ones that fit in your backpack, I saw nothing about sleeping mats but maybe someone who has experienced this previously can jump in.

18. OB-1 KENOBI

OB-1 KENOBI Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2016
    Thanks. That's what I saw too.

19. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Cool beans. We'll get it figured out.

Docgeo likes this.
  20. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017
    Got my Mountain Made chair in the mail today. Holds me up alright (@214 lbs, 6'1) but man is it uncomfortable even for a short period of time.

21. Docgeo

Oct 26, 2013
    I think I am just going to bring a blanket and a small pillow and call it good!

22. UtinniUtinni

UtinniUtinni Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2017
  23. Steve Davis

Steve Davis Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2017
    What happens after you get your wristband? Do you go directly into the hall and wait until the show or are you able to leave and come back?

24. jerejerebinks

Mar 24, 2017
    You can leave and comeback. You just probably won't have the best seat in the world once you get to the stage.

But at the end of the day, you have to balance certain things. Is 15 hours in line worth getting a tenth row seat? If so, more power to you. If you just want to earn your wrist band and get in the door, you'll have plenty of time to run back to the hotel, get breakfast and a shower, etc

Docgeo likes this.
  25. Docgeo

Oct 26, 2013
    I am with you on that one!!!!

I am pretty stoked about flying tomorrow!!!!!