main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Episode III redeem TPM?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Ree Yees, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I'm in agreeance with Durwood. If you haven't been able to appreciate, enjoy, or savor the prequels up to this point, then you might as well not even bother with Episode III.

EDIT: On a side note I would like to say that the intended negativity of this thread isn't really needed, although the opinions whether in agreement or disagreement should be expressed. Why not the title of How Can Episode III Help TPM.

2. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Because that was not the title I chose.

Even though I am dissapointed at TPM and AOTC, doesn't mean I can't look forward to EP3, after all, it is still a SW movie and will contain in some form or other some stuff I like (lightsabers, for example). I do believe that if Ep3 ties TPM into the whole, that it will improve TPM. I'd love a scene where Anakin thinks back and realizes that he built 3P0 *in a dream*. I'm sure if Anakin hadn't built 3P0, I wouldn't be the basher I am today, perhaps only 40-50% basher.

3. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    TPM does not need redeeming!

4. Turkilma

Turkilma Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    I'm sure if Anakin hadn't built 3P0, I wouldn't be the basher I am today, perhaps only 40-50% basher.

That´s exactly how I feel about this issue !

I DO hope that Episode III will make TPM & AOTC better movies.
    They are not bad, I´d rather call em´ "wasted opportunities".

5. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I for one didn't waste my opportunity to enjoy the prequels.

If you are really hoping III would allow you to enjoy TPM better, then why make this thread at all?

6. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    To see if anyone had any ideas as to how Ep3 can redeem/improve/alter TPM. And to see if anyone has ideas as to how Ep3 can help tie TPM better with the rest of the saga. And to see if GL really did make up everything as he went along, or if there actually is a plan behind the execution of TPM.

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I fear that if you don't like TPM by now, there isn't much hope for episode III changing your opinion much if at all.

8. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    TPM is how GL wanted it.

9. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Brings a tear to my eye, that people will hate all the Prequels after Episode III with all their heart. :_|

10. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

*wipes tear from his eye* I'm sorry but this whole "Episode 3 redeeming TPM" Makes me LMAO!

From my point of view, it doesn't need to be redeemed because its a fantastic film and I don't see anything cartoonish or anything in there.

For you Ree Yees: No matter what happens in EP3 you'll hate the prequels. Sorry but thats all i can say.

And on the those minor points as have been pointed out they are essential points for the characters not for the story.
    Midichlorians have been explained and fleshed out, Lucas doesn't need to add anything (unless you're stupid and want him to be repetitive).
    The Jappor Snippet its hardly important IMHO but I guess when Anakin ditches Padme after becoming a Sith (my speculation ;) ) and she is heartbroken we may see a scene of her holding it and looking sad. But I seriously don't think its important.
    The "Freeing of the slaves" is/was just a boastful comment by the young lad besides it was a dream! Not everything you dream comes true.

11. Ree Yees

Apr 6, 2000
    I think the japor snippet is important, because it is an important item in the context of the film (dramatic). If it is left "unresolved", GL hasn't done his homework. Of course, he can do as he likes, but I'd like to have the japor snippet back. It acted better than most of the actors anyway.

12. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I dunno but I know a really good way to find out if it can...........stop thinking about it and wait till Ep3 is comes out! :)

13. Master-Luke

Master-Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2002
    Can Episode 3 redeem TPM?

I don't think so. Maybe if Lucas released The Phantom Menace - Special Edition and replaced the digital characters/setting with actors in costume and actual grass, trees, rocks etc.

Maybe, he could remove the C3P0 being built by Anakin subplot, midichlorians, Qui Gon being Obi Wan's master, Anakin as a 9-year old, the corny dialogue and acting, Jar Jar, the Gungans, the Trade Federation embargo.

Heck, why not just reshoot Episode 1?

14. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    And what will happen to you people if Episode III is another failure in your eyes? Will you shun the Prequels? :confused:

15. JKBurtola

Feb 4, 2003
    Jedi_Learner we know the answer already.

But I can understand why some unhappy fans are hoping EP3 will redeem TPM (& AOTC), i mean they've been fans for a long time and still have faith that it will all be alright in the end.
    But two films in and those same people still being disappointed won't be changed by Episode 3 more likely they will have enhanced hatred of the prequels.
    Its sad but I'm afraid its true.

All I know is that the prequels so far have made me happy and I look forward to Episode 3 with optimism and know I'll like it (even if it takes me a second viewing).

And Ree Yees:
    I think the japor snippet is important, because it is an important item in the context of the film (dramatic). If it is left "unresolved", GL hasn't done his homework. Of course, he can do as he likes, but I'd like to have the japor snippet back. It acted better than most of the actors anyway.

I understand your point of view. I mean the jappor snippet is quite an important inter character object. I'm not sure I agree to it being important in context with the film but rather to Anakin & Padme, meaning character wise.
    I mean if GL were to leave it out (as he did with AOTC) then its something you can think about, use your imagination.
    But I am in agreeance with you that it would be nice to see it back, certainly in accordance with Padme and her feelings toward Anakin when he becomes an agent of evil.

16. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    The Phantom Menace redeemed Return of the Jedi for me, so hopefully the same thing will happen with Episode III. :)

17. JKBurtola

Feb 4, 2003
    Well even though I care more about my my own enjoyment of the prequels and Episode 3, I do hope that Episode 3 will have a positive effect to some of those who've been disappointed by the PT so far.
    But I'm not sure it will happen really.

18. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    YEah, same with me Oaksteve. TPM and AOTC redeemed ROTJ for me. I used to think that crap with the Emporer was stupid. "yOU want this, doooont yououuuu." "Use your agressive feelings boy. Let the hate flow through you."
    Also, the Emporer is a much better villain b/c of the prequels. Maybe even better than Vader.

19. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "Jedi_Learner we know the answer already."

We do, although I hope some of them can find some comfort in the Prequels. :)

20. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    If anything needs redeemed it's this thread! 4 years and counting and people are still bashing TPM. LEAVE IT ALONE!

BTW, if AOTC was sooo good as people say it was then you would have thought that it would have redeemed TPM. So, I guess EP. 3 will have to redeem both.

NOTE TO MOD, MANAGER, OR ADMIN.: How long do we have to suffer negativity towards TPM. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Please deal with this. There are countless threads on WHAT people don't like about TPM. For the fans who DO LIKE TPM, it is a struggle to talk about it in a positive light because someone always butts in with their negative comments, plus after 4 YEARS negative threads on TPM are still being allowed! I find this hypocritical as well as a double standard going on. Its called REDUNDANCY. You would think after 4 years of negative threads on a subject they would be locked for redundancy.

BTW, long live TPM!

21. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    And what will happen to you people if Episode III is another failure in your eyes? Will you shun the Prequels?

We can only hope. Sadly, I fear we will have to listen to them regale us with laughably inept fan rewrites and other amusingly mediocere visions of how they could have made the prequels "better."

As for appealing to the mods, don't bother as some them are bashers themselves.

22. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    It's a good job then that George's equally inept and mediocere scripts have some creditability with you, Durwood.

23. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    And me, along with many others. Don't forget without Lucas we wouldn't be here discussing these movies.

24. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    It's a good job then that George's equally inept and mediocere scripts...

As I was saying...

As long as we have moderators around here with this attitude, the overbearing anti-STAR WARS negativity in these forums will sadly continue unabated.

25. Oakessteve

May 9, 1999
    I don't think anybody is likely to forget that. I was simply defending those people who have done their own rewrites, or fanfiction stories of the prequel trilogy, as I don't think any of them have done them seriously thinking their efforts are better than George Lucas's. The only reason I did mine was just as a bit of fun, a 'what if' story, if you like. I look back at it now, and it's laughably bad in places, but I don't see how attacking these rewrites will turn around anybody's thinking of the prequel trilogy. It will just make those people who didn't like it to begin with even more critical, when they see how nasty some people on here when they encounter a difference of opinion. But that's changing the subject. And Durwood, I am far from being anti-Star Wars. I love Star Wars, and I think they're a wonderful set of films, but just because I don't spend every other post praising the Saga does not make me anti-Star Wars. If I'm anything, it's anti-Star Wars fans, as there seems to be a level of aggression and intolerance among fans of Star Wars that I've not seen anything similar to in any other fandom I'm familiar with.

Anyway, I for one think Episode III will redeem The Phantom Menace, as while I wasn't exactly thrilled with some of the things George decided to do, I can see why he choose to write things a certain way after watching Attack of the Clones. Hopefully the same thing will happen with Episode III, and while I doubt I will ever enjoy The Phantom Menace as much as the other films in the Saga, I hope I will appreicate it more as a part of the Star Wars Saga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.