main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Can Episode III redeem TPM?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Ree Yees, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think the real question is will the fans who missed out on how great TPM and or AOTC are so far will finally be able to appreciate what Lucas is doing.

2. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I think it will be great if Episode III turns out to be great, it will help erase the last two stumbles by Lucas.

3. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Or at the very least, make the stumbles you think he made disappear.

4. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Wise words, master . . .

5. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I am far from being anti-Star Wars. I love Star Wars yada yada yada...

If I had a hundred dollars for everyone who claimed to love STAR WARS yet continued to rip it to shreds, I'd be richer than George Lucas.

6. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    It's almost come to a point where I don't even want to consider the PT as part of Star Wars. I love the OT. I dislike the PT so far. So yes, I still think I can call myself a Star Wars fan. (3 out of 5 films)

And I've spent more money on Star Wars (OT products) than any other thing I can think of. But if you want to deny my fandom and strip away the years and money I spent on Star Wars, go ahead.

When we (most "bashers") say we love Star Wars, I think it's quite obvious we're speaking about the OT.

7. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I will make those of you who didn't like Ep1 or Ep2 a promise-- you won't like Ep3!

Yet I'm sure many PT bashers will almost certainly take theater seats away from the wide-eyed 12 year olds and their families who only want to spend time together and enjoy the last episode in a treasured series of movies.

8. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    ...if you want to deny my fandom and strip away the years and money I spent on Star Wars, go ahead.

Seems you're accomplishing that just fine without our help.

9. Son_Of_Kurtzman

Son_Of_Kurtzman Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2002
    Very true, Durwood.

10. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "I will make those of you who didn't like Ep1 or Ep2 a promise-- you won't like Ep3!"

thanks for the advice! I will be one of the many who make sure not to go see episode III then, to send Lucas a message that we wont settle for "good enough" any more. I suggest other like-minded star wars FANS do the same.

I mean really, after the last two films why would any of you expect episode III to be any good?

11. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Those who didn't like the prequels so far shouldn't hold out much hope. But look at it this way, you guys will already have all the Matrix and LOTR movies by then.

12. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    I will be one of the many who make sure not to go see episode III then, to send Lucas a message that we wont settle for "good enough" any more. I suggest other like-minded star wars FANS do the same.

Maybe your combined efforts will decrease profits by a whole 1/2 percent. That'll sure make Lucas sit up and take notice!
    [face_laugh]

13. Son_Of_Kurtzman

Son_Of_Kurtzman Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2002
    He'll see it. I'll bet it a million to one that he'll see.

14. Lanky

Lanky Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2002
    Can Episode III redeem TPM?

I don't think it needs to. I do agree though that working in things like the jappor snippet and maybe the midi's would do a lot to make TPM better.

15. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    put your money where your mouth is kurtzmann.

you figure out a way to prove ill see episode III and ill gladly take your cash.

this is going to be an easy bet for me to win since i have no interest whatsoever in episode III, considering i could care less what happens to these completely unintersting characters and their entirely unengaging predicaments.

im perfectly happy with the original OT which i enjoy on multiple formats in my home. as far as i and others like me are concerned, the PT is not even a part of star wars. TPM and AOTC are utterly forgettable. its the silly arguments that defend those films on these boards that i take issue with, along with those who question my fan status and cant stand to engage in open debate.

back on topic: can episode III redeem TPM? no way. there is nothing short of total remakes of TPM and AOTC that can make them worthy additions to the star wars saga.

16. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    If I had a hundred dollars for everyone who claimed to love STAR WARS yet continued to rip it to shreds, I'd be richer than George Lucas.

If I had a hundred dollars for everyone who thought that being a STAR WARS fan means that you can't be heavily critical of two films in that saga, I'd...well, I'd have 100 dollars for a start.

[face_laugh]

Yet I'm sure many PT bashers will almost certainly take theater seats away from the wide-eyed 12 year olds and their families who only want to spend time together and enjoy the last episode in a treasured series of movies.

WIDE-EYED 12 YEAR OLD: But why can't I see Star Wars Episode III: A Big Explosion, mommmy?

MOMMY: It's the PT bashers...they've taken all the seats! I'm sorry...you'll just have to wait for the DVD!

Oh, picture the scenes! Families sleeping overnight on the cold, hard sidewalks of America, mothers administering eye drops to their unblinking children as they desperately attempt to get their hands on the few remaining ABE tickets. Unscrupulous PT bashers selling their theater tickets for thousands of dollars on Ebay...

And if you want a vision of the future, imagine a PT basher, stamping down on a wide eyed 12 year old. Forever

:_| :_| :_|

And, no, Episode III can't redeem TPM. The Droid/Gungan battle will still be boring, Natalie Portman and SLJ performances will still be woeful, Darth Maul's death will still look ridiculous and Jar Jar Binks will still be about as funny as...well, Jar Jar Binks.

17. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    this is going to be an easy bet for me to win since i have no interest whatsoever in episode III, considering i could care less what happens to these completely unintersting characters and their entirely unengaging predicaments.

Nice try Evazan, but no one in their right mind would spend time posting messages in a forum dedicated to a film they have no desire to see. Just admit it-- you want to see a sequel to a film you didn't like.

No, I think it's very likely you'll be stealing a theater seat from a 12 year old PT fan on May 25th, 2005. Shame on you.

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    These films aren't that bad to everyone, JenX.

Again, as long as enough people like them, the rest won't matter.

Boycott away. It will make opening night a more positive overall experience, because the people there will be glad to be there.

19. Glorian-Eversea

Glorian-Eversea Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 26, 2002
    Durwood,

You should know by now that trying to question a bashers SW loyalty is a poor tactic for debate.

You're aware that almost all bashers critique the PT (in part) by contrasting it with the OT.
    For evey basher complaint about why the PT fails, there is a praise of what the OT achieved.

Ask Hawk what he thinks of Williams OT music or Rebel Scumb what he thought of the Battle of Hoth. Or Lady Sami about the Han/Leia love story. Each of them, I believe, would tell you that these are among their favorite movie elements in modern cinema.

You call Star Wars an "IT" which makes NO sense _ 0 sense _ because Star Wars is a series of movies made during two different eras.

Am I tearing apart and trashing James Bond if I believe Pierce Brosnan is nowhere near as talented as Sean Connery on screen. (Just an example...not my opinion)
    No, clearly, its possible that an incredible James Bond fan could detest the recent movies and still love decades wroth of Bond movies.

Your attempt to imply that Star Wars is some sort of political movement that you are either for or against just makes it seem like you're trying to get someone's goat.

Glorian

20. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Some quotes from DrEvazan

i have no interest whatsoever in episode III

You've posted in the Episode III forum.

considering i could care less what happens to these completely unintersting characters

They've been interesting enough for you to come in and bash.
    And you must care about Obi-Wan and Anakin and Yoda and the droids a bit, if you watch them in the OT.

"As you can see, my Jedi powers are far beyond yours. Now, back down."

:p

Rick McCallum loves you! (And I think you bashers are afraid to admit it!)

21. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    the offer stands open to you as well SWfan2002, i will take any other offers and gladly bet any amount of money any of you doubters out there wish to give me.

and Durwood, do you even have the ability to post without being snide, condescending or dismissive of the opinions of those who you dont agree with? if not then i dont think this is the place for you.

22. SWfan2002

Jan 28, 2002
    I don't think this is the place for you, Evazan. You do realize this is a message board dedicated to discussions about Ep3, don't you?

23. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    <<Can Episode III redeem TPM?>>

If a mansion were built atop a slimy mud hole, would the mud be any more attractive? Would it grow stronger?

24. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    BlackPool--
    "Mud hole? Slimy? My home this is!" :(
    But in answer to your question, maybe so. Remember Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
    "When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up! And that's what you're gonna get, lad: the strongest castle in these islands."

A QUESTION FOR EVERYONE WHO THINKS EPISODE III CANNOT "REDEEM" TPM

Pretend it is 1981 or so. ESB has just come out. We have this loose end and that loose end to tie up -- will Luke be a Jedi, who's Luke's father, when's Luke gonna find out that Han and Leia started a relationship of sorts, etc. etc. ...

Would you have viewed these loose ends as something that need to be REDEEMED, or as a set of exciting opportunities for the forthcoming sequel to explore?

Rick McCallum loves you!

25. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Pretend it is 1981 or so. ESB has just come out. We have this loose end and that loose end to tie up -- will Luke be a Jedi, who's Luke's father, when's Luke gonna find out that Han and Leia started a relationship of sorts, etc. etc. ...

Would you have viewed these loose ends as something that need to be REDEEMED, or as a set of exciting opportunities for the forthcoming sequel to explore?

I'd view them as a set of exciting opportunities for the forthcoming sequel to explore.

No, I think it's very likely you'll be stealing a theater seat from a 12 year old PT fan on May 25th, 2005.

Stealing seats from wide eyed 12 year olds??? DrEvazan, you horrify and disgust me!

But you do think the prequel films are awful, so you can't be all bad [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.